A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Student Rant - madlearner

Posted: Jul 11, 2011

I am months away from completing an "associates degree" in MT at a well-known online "university."  As I have prepared to change careers and start finding a job, I have realized what you all seem to already know...the job pickings are slim at best, and NO ONE wants to hire a newbie. 

In short, I have never felt so taken advantage of and just...scammed.  The education I have received is sub-par, with more time spent with unnecessary classes like "Keyboarding" than with classes that will actually acquaint students with the MT world.  Instead of learning relevant software programs, we're taught how to use PPT and Excel, which I'm sure you MTs use ALL THE TIME for medical records.  I have had actual class discussions about how to handle situations in which YOUR EMPLOYER DOES NOT PAY YOU.  I was horrified to learn that this is pretty much standard treatment, especially of newbies, in this "profession."  I  have no one to blame but myself for being fooled into this.  I have heard so many negative things from experienced MTs that I truly no longer desire to persue this career, but having spent a literal ton of money and wasted 2 years of my life, I have no choice.  When I voiced my concerns in an online class, I was basically told by the instructor (who doesn't and never did MT work!!) to "not focus on the negatives," then she tried to convince me that "all jobs are like that." 

I do not look forward to the day that I have to actually begin begging for jobs, offering to work at cut rates, or even for free, in order to gain that precious experiene that so many companies request.  No workers should be treated in such a fashion, and there is something morally wrong with a program that graduates students without preparing them properly for their careers.  To that, there is also something wrong with a "profession" that allows comapnies to mistreat them, devalue their service, and abuse their new generations.

Thank you for listening and please share any advice/words of wisdom you may have.

madlearner - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Did your program use SUM? If not, why not? And why on earth is someone who has never done MT teaching MT? How can she teach it? As to words like "mistreat" and "abuse," I am reminded of the saying that "you deserve the kind of treatment you will accept." I have never been mistreated in the MT world because I will not allow it. That said, the best practical advice I can give you is to get some solid SUM experience. Many MTSOs will not hire without it. And I wonder, and this is not a make-wrong, just an honest question, how carefully did you check the program out before you enrolled? There are a lot of scamsters out there in the MT world. One good way to check a school is to call some of the larger nationals and ask "Do you hire grads of the XYZ school?" Perhaps there are others on here who have augmented their education with additional SUM training and can give you some advice regarding that first-hand. That is probably the single best thing you can do for yourself. Good luck to you.

Thank you - madlearner

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your reply. I have no idea what SUM is, and I'm two classes away from graduating, if that tells you anything.

I realize that the program alone is not to blame and that I should have known better. I researched the MT field, but unfortunately did not find any sites such as this where real MTs discuss the realities of the job. The research I should have done instead was on the program. It is AHDI accredited or affiliated or whatever, but that's about it. From what I now understand, that's not much to crow about.

I also agree with you concerning "you deserve the kind of treatment you will accept," and I have no intention of suffering mistreatment, though I feel that this stipulation will exclude me from many job opportunities.

Thank you for your thoughtful response, I do appreciate it.

madlearner - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
There is no "blame" or fault for you either. There is no shame, blame or guilt in this situation. It is rather a situation of making an inadvertent poor choice. This is one of the (many) reasons that I hold such a low opinion of the AHDI. I know many schools that have the AHDI imprimatur and I do not think highly of them. It is a worthless recommendation for a school, in this old lady's humble opinion. As to SUM, it is the finest program in existence for training MTs. It uses actual physician dictation. If you will Google the words HEALTH PROFESSIONS INSTITUTE, there should be plenty of information in there for you to peruse. (And no, I do not work for them and never have.) I think you can remedy the situation with some extra work. As a former MTSO and current MT, I can tell you that many companies keep lists of schools and programs not to hire from. I have no idea if your schools is on it, but the fact that you are ready to graduate and have never heard of SUM sets off warning bells in my head bigtime. I think you have a great attitude and I do not think this is the end of the MT road for you. I think it is more like a speed bump. :) If you can get some solid practice with the SUM, that might help a bit. Our economy is such that the competition out there is just brutal. The last time my company hired, there were 300 applications for every job. Today when I heard the press conference on the economy, I just wanted to cry. If I were younger,I would fear for my children and what they would do when they were out of college if they were that young. I think the best, most practical thing you can do is do some SUM work. I am hoping that someone on here may have had the experience of augmenting a less than adequate education with SUM and can give you some practical assistance and pointers about how they set it up and what worked for them. Above all, you should not give up. These are difficult times for all of us. I am pushing 70, have done this for 40 years, and have seen my pay cut in half sine 1996. In the very near future, I will not have to depend on MT for a livelihood. If MT is something you really want, go for it. I do not think your situation is impossible. If you want it, you can make it happen. Again, best of luck.
I think it's because those bad schools lie to AHDI and sign their name to their lies - My opinion
[ In Reply To ..]
Unless AHDI actually enrolls as a student at these schools, all they have to go by is what the schools tell them. They say they have instructors? Well, some don't. We all know that, but because they claim they do and sign their name to it, nothing much can be done.

There is no better tool for finding a good school than that AHDI list, as a starting point, but don't make that the stopping point. Keep researching. Someone else can tell you how to do that, but don't just stop at that list. That's a beginning point, and a good one. Then you weed out the bad schools from that list, by talking to people, like us.
So SUM is just actual physician dictation? - madlearner
[ In Reply To ..]
This course does use actual physician dictation, which I am glad for. I realize now that I have a tough road ahead of me as far as getting that first job. Does having done actual physician dictation improve my chances, you think? I really wish I had found this site sooner. It would have helped me make better decisions. Thanks again to all responders, I truly appreciate your input.
I wouldn't say "Just" - my opinion
[ In Reply To ..]
You can have all levels of quality of "actual physician dictation" of course, but theirs is really good.

What you are going to have to do is find employers that have hired graduates of your school. The school has a track record with them. That's where people get into trouble. Some of the schools don't teach enough. They can come up with companies that will hire anyone who is breathing, but that's not really what most people want. You have to hope that your school has had a good track record with some of the better MTSOs, large and/or small. The way to find out is to ask where most of their graduates go to work. If they won't tell you, don't know, or there is nobody to ask unless you pay more money, you have a problem. If they can give you some good information on where graduates have been successful in the past, you're in good shape! I hope yours is the latter.
Ah, I see... - madlearner
[ In Reply To ..]
This is making sense bit by bit. Great advice, thanks!

You are incorrect! It really is the fault of a bad program - See message

[ In Reply To ..]
Sure, you made a mistake by choosing a poor program. The AHDI list is the best guide, but it still includes some poor choices. They are, in fact, at fault for being bad. Don't try to excuse them. In fact, write to AHDI and let them know the details so they can consider those facts when they make up that list again. If they never hear the complaints, how are they to know?
Fault of bad program - R2D2
[ In Reply To ..]
I do not think AHDI is very discriminating or caring about too much except how to get more and more $$$$ from MTs.
Here's what I think about that - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
Some days I like them and on other days not so much. However, there are some facts.

They are trying to provide some kind of standardization for schools so improve the quality of MT education. That's a good thing.

This is a fairly new program, only a few years old, and they have made some mistakes.

There is a limit to what they can do. If a school signs and swears that they do or don't do something which is an outright lie, they can do very little about it. I used to get mad at them about that, but tried to put myself in their position and see what I would have done. Other than stand there and call out a bald-faced lie, "No, you do not do ______ as is required, even though you tell us that you do it." It's almost impossible to catch someone 'not' doing something. I'm not sure how they would do that.

Also true is the fact that there are more bad schools than good ones. How high should they set the standard? What is the minimum acceptable level before they should approve a school? If they set it very high, as they did in the beginning, almost no schools can meet that standard. They lowered their own standards to allow more schools to even come close to qualifying, in my opinion, rather than doing what would have been the best outcome, making the awful schools improve the quality of education in order to reach the higher standard.

Here's one last fact for you. The people who made that decision to lower the bar are gone. Maybe the schools will again go back to the higher standard in order to be on that Approved list. Some of them would have to start from scratch and rewrite their entire programs in order to do that, because we all know they are so bad that what they are doing now just won't cut it no matter how they try to patch things up a bit.

Interesting question that they have to address. I'd love to be part of that process. I have a few opinions on it.

new to transcription - TJ

[ In Reply To ..]
First, I want to commend you on getting your education. Never feel sorry for bettering yourself. You needed to find something and you found this. Let me also say that it is a personal thing for each and every one of us. Every person's situation is different. While I used to make a lot more money for less time spent on the job, speech recognition has save my hands and wrists. If you build your dictionary/macros and learn your accounts, and keep samples. You will do fine. A lot of us forget that there are new people out there starting into this profession, and we are venting our frustrations over what we "once were paid." But do not be discouraged. Just take the things you have learned and use them as you can. When you test for a company you will make it fine. You can learn their platform and you can do well. You have to get some experience. Do you live anywhere where you might work in a hospital? If you can try that first, do that and you will be far better for it. You will get experience that you will need. However, if that is not possible try to apply to every company you can. They are always looking for MTs. Don't give up. You never know with the courses you took you may well fit into a mgt job one day. Again, don't let negative comments color your future. Sometimes we may be too negative by being realistic and you just have to sift through things and do what is best for you. It is a good profession and who knows you may be a driving force to change the direction of the MTs for the future.

Similar Messages:

Student/ New Mt
Nov 28, 2009

I am currently a student and will be finished with my studies in a few weeks.  I really need some information on the software I will need in addition to MS Word/ Works and what pedal to get.  I also need direction on getting working as soon as possible.  Part time from home is what I really need as I am currently working a 40+ an hour job until I can go to full time transcribing.  Any information that would get me started in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. ...

EX VLC Student
Dec 29, 2009

Has anyone heard about what VLC has done to its students??? We have all been scammed!! Are there any of us out there? I saw a posting that said we could talk and post here.   Thanks ...

Student MTs???
Oct 01, 2010

Should student MTs be asking for word help in this forum? Is that a big no-no? Trying not to step on toes... ...

Student With Many Questions
Jan 19, 2010

I am a student who really wants to go back to work!  I only have one more class and then I'm done with my transcription certificate but I'm having a hard time wanting to go back and finish my medical secretary diploma.  I'm also having a hard time trying to find an internship here in poe-dunk Iowa.  I just want someone else's opinion!  Can someone give me an idea??? ...

MT Student Needs Advice
Mar 10, 2010

My name is Chelsea and I am enrolled in the MT program at Allied Schools. I have been practicing transcription for about 3 weeks now and it is kicking my butt! I am freaking out and I just don't know what to do.. Any advice??  I feel like such a failure and I could really use any advice that ya'll have to offer.   Thanks! ...

Student Doctors!
Nov 04, 2010

Why, oh why, oh why can't the students hit the PAUSE button when they are dictating to gather their thoughts?  Why must I sit through listening to page turning, and "thinking" noises?  Meanwhile, time is money in this job ... and I really am getting tired of this!  My main account is a large teaching hospital, and so I get alot of students, residents, fellows ... etc.  <grrrrrrrrr> OK .. I feel better now that I just vented!  :) ...

Why Do Some Not Allow MS Word Student?
Jan 25, 2011

x ...

AHIMA Student
Apr 08, 2011

Hi all of you wannabe coders out there.  I have just finished my A&P course with AHIMA and am starting coding basics.  I would love to communicate those out there who are in this program, just starting out or previous students.  Let me know how far along you are and also what your background is.   I am very excited about getting to do this program.  I have been a transcriptionist for almost 20 years and am totally burned out, both physically and mentally.  ...

Prospective Student
Aug 07, 2011

HI everyone.  I'm seriously thinking of doing medical transcription as a career change.  I've been researching schools for about 4-6 months.  I realize that Andrews and M-Tec are considered the top two, but I just can't afford these schools.  I have read several posts on this forum and am wondering if it is possible to get schooling elsewhere that will give me the information I need to find a job and work successfully.  I've b ...

Anemia - Not A Student
Nov 01, 2012

How do you type this? …normocytic normochromic anemia …normocytic, normochromic anemia …normocytic/normochromic anemia …normocytic-normochromic anemia ...

HDS Student Employment
Oct 11, 2014

Do you know of anyone that hires  students that are about to graduate with a 4.0? ...

Student Doing A Paper On Coding - Help
Apr 09, 2011

Hi all. I am doing a career exploration paper on medical coding. I need some interesting facts about medical coding. Can anyone explain how the ICD came about? Any other interesting facts would be appreciated! ...

MT Student With Visual Impairment
Sep 04, 2012

I am a new MT student that is visually impaired. I'm having a very difficult time with studies and keyboarding class. I'd like to find someone that has low or no vision that could tell me how they have gotten through classes and what devises and software systems they may have used. I feel like I'm out here doing this all by myself. Thanks, Brandi ...

Student With A Sequencing Question
Jun 17, 2013

I am a coding student and have a couple questions.  If a patient is admitted for aspiration pneumonia, has difficulty swallowing due to a previous stroke and has a stage 2 decuibuts ulcer on the buttock why is the sequencying in this order 507.0, 438.82, 707.05, 707.22 I get the principal diagnosis, but do not understand why the dysphagia is sequenced before the ulcer. My next one, admitted for E. coli UTI, on day 2 had exacerbatin of COPD, patient is on current therapy for hypertension ...

Coding Student, Freaking Out
Sep 12, 2013

I am a new coding student -- having taken three classes so far.  I was understanding everything, I thought, pretty well, and while I was not always able to get the right code, I always knew what I had done wrong.  But now V codes.  I can't find anything.   I don't even know what words to look up.   I feel like I'm lost.  Will this get easier?  I'm getting so discouraged.    ...

Anyone (who Has Student Loans For MT School) Try This...
Mar 08, 2014

Not that it would be possible, just something I myself have been looking into.  The trade school I went to, I paid a little over $12k for my MT course of 9 months.  The school is not AHDI certified.  I was told ( Back in 2009) that I could get a job right after graduation and be able to work from home.  I had great teachers who refused to just pass everyone (as some were instructed to do by the school so they could keep their accredidation from the state).   I was going ...

MS Office Home And Student
Apr 03, 2014

I have heard different interpretations of the "no commercial use" rule by Microsoft about the Home and Student version of Office.  Some say you cannot use this version to work from home as an MT, and some say it only means that Home and Student version just doesn't have all the bells and whistles someone would need for commercial use.   I just called Microsoft, and the rep told me that it IS okay to use it in that way, but I don't feel confident he really knew what I was ask ...

New Coding Student - Confused!!
May 30, 2015

I just started medical coding school. I'm just feeling like this is so much information to know, how am I going to remember all of this and be accurate? I REALLY want this as a career & dont want to fail. Do most coding students feel this way? Does it take some time for things to "click"? I'm just feeling overwhelmed and it's concerning. I hope I'm just overthinking this. Any reassurance would really be helpful. ...

What The Q Has Done For (or To) Me (rant)
Feb 06, 2010

I was thinking about this earlier today.  I worked for a lot of years in hospitals doing MT, worked for doctors doing the same (I often had doctors try to steal me away from the hospitals I worked for to go and work for them but I'm loyal to a fault and it sometimes gets me hurt), and when I was just working for a doctor to cover for a transcriptionist on vacation, I was always asked back for the next vacation.  Always had perfection with my reports, never ever had an issue w ...

May I Rant?
May 17, 2010

I work for a small MT company that put me on a small account with 4 doctors, and I was told that I'd be the only MT.  Within a week it was obvious someone else was taking all the work, and I was told that this other MT was only supposed to take jobs "when necessary."  However, she takes all the jobs the second they show up.  Despite watching like a hawk for 10 hours a day, I get maybe 35% of the dictations overall, and the whole time I know that this other MT has OTHER work s ...

DSG Rant. (sm)
Aug 30, 2010

I have tried to give DSG a chance because I really hate changing jobs, but damn... this ASR gets worse every single day. I thought I was developing a rhythm and some speed with it finally and now it can't complete a single solitary sentence in any report I've had in the last three days without a serious error. It doesn't even come CLOSE to typing what the dictator very, VERY clearly says. I don't understand how ASR works, but how can it be getting worse all these months af ...

My VR Rant.
Jul 21, 2011

I think I could really make good money on VR if I was the only one on my account or if it learned specifically to each person editing.  I'm getting so tired of working on reports for a day to finally get them to start coming out needing little editing by the end of the day and then coming back on the next day to find the same reports SO full of errors after different people were on the account for the next shift.  It's great when you have other people who are good at their jo ...

Rant - Sorry
Aug 01, 2011

Okay.  Well, I decided to test with my old company again (SoftScript) with which I had  been employed for four years.  I failed their test.  My rant is this.  Am I being unfair to think that it is on record that I worked for them four years, was never late, always got my lines, always got 98% or above on audits (my last audit was 100%)  and it has only been 5 months since I left ??  Shouldn't all of this be taken into account ??  I suppose n ...

This Is A Rant.
Dec 22, 2012

Let me preface by saying that I am not a veteran in this field. I have only been a MT for about a year and a half. I graduated from one of the AHDI accepted schools. In the short time I have been working, I have worked for both of the national MTSOs. In my opinion the grass is brown on either side of the fence. I was originally enamored by the possibility of working from home and setting my own schedule. The later may be true if you have experience and are fortunate enough to hire on with a good ...

Just A Rant
Nov 28, 2013

My days are numbered, I already know.  I've given this job the best I could do.  After 14 years of no complaints they have broken me with their petty BS, condescending ways, (Feel free to reach out....), then when you do if you're not on the prime list you get no answer or worse false info.  Requested part time from the beginning but 35 hours is not P/T to me.  Lot of flexing because shift is 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.  (I was not made aware I have to ASK if it was ok to ...

RANT
Jul 29, 2014

I just need to vent. I really wish these residents would learn how to press the @#$%$% PAUSE button. I am so tired of listening to their (literally) 14-minute discussions with other residents while they are dictating a 4-minute op note. Obviously they do not realize that there is an acutal person at the other end of that dictation line, who has a family to provide for, and their jibber jabbing is a complete waste of my time and taking money out of my pocket while I am listening to them talk abou ...

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! This Is A Rant
Mar 24, 2015

Mandatory OT????? I am doing jobs that were dictated less than 1 hour ago.  I am getting the worst of the worst ESL dictators.  I don't mind doing some of them but I don't want ALL of them.  Pass the garbage to some others.  My head is pounding try to figure out what they are attempting to say.  Will be lucky if I come anywhere close to 1200 lines today. Wishing for power to go out.  HA!! ...

CONSOLIDATING STUDENT LOANS INFO
Oct 07, 2010

Has anyone tried to conslidate any kind of student loans lately.  In 2007 my daughter graduated from a private college.  We took out student loans through Sallie Mae and when she graduated we consolidated them with SallieMae. They never asked if she had a job when we did this.  She has to pay back $350.00 a month.  We told her she can live with us rent free because we could not afford to pay these loans.  Now my second daughter just graduated from college and we had ...

Andrews Future Student, Question About CPC
May 13, 2012

Hi!  I am registering for coding classes at Andrews this week.  I just finished the AHIMA A&P course, passed the final exam, and after doing extensive research through the threads here on MTStars, I have decided to continue my coding studies through Andrews.  My future goals are to hold both the CCS and the CPC credentials in the future.  I read the Andrews grads are passing the CCS right out of school.  Great!!   Do I need two years of coding experience ...

EditScript And Office 2003 Student
Jun 20, 2012

Does anyone know if Microsoft Office 2003 student/teacher and EditScript 10.2 work together? I thought I saw somewhere it was not supported. I also have Vista 64 bit. Thanks. ...