A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Does anybody else feel this way? Rant - anon

Posted: Sep 27, 2010

I used to love transcription. I felt competent and like I was doing a service to patients by making their medical records into an understandible format. When I was working oftentimes I would be "in the zone" and time would pass by quickly. I felt proficient.

After working for MedQuist for 6-odd years, I'm sick of them, sick of transcription in general. I dread going to work every day and yes  I am looking for another job but being over 50 and having done nothing but work at home in transcription makes it hard.

I just want out. I see (most) other people who have jobs and every year they get more perks like more PTO time, a raise, a better position. What do we get? We who have wasted our career on transcription at MedQuist? NOTHING. We get things taken away from us.

I know of no other business where their workers get penalized for something that's not their fault (like if we send in a blank to QA for an ESL dictator who cannot speak English). I never heard of any other profession where any new "improvement" (like ASR) results in income loss, like we have had.

Every day I worry about my future. The other day for the first time in my community (I live in a medium-sized town in the midwest) I saw a stereotypical "homeless lady" who was pushing all her worldy goods around in a shopping cart. She was about my age, still had nice clothes and stuff, but she was obviously newly homeless. I can't help thinking that someday it could be me.

I work part-time and used to bring home easily $600-650 every pay period. Now I'm lucky if I bring home $400. I can't even pay the rent on that. My boyfriend has been out of work since 2007 and he just got on disability. That helps, but it's only $674 a month. 

Thanks for reading my rant. At least I know I'm not alone.

I feel it also... - incompetent

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been here going on 14 years. I feel incompetent, especially after reading on one of the other boards that I should be editing at 400 LPH as an average. I cannot get above 270! I have been doing ASR for 4+ years and at my best, with jumping from account to account, I cannot get better than 270.

I used to make 1200 or better every 2 weeks, part-time. Now, I make around 700 every 2 weeks. I cant take much more.

I feel ashamed.

I know...sm - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Before this newest "upgrade" I was editing at about 200-250 lines per hour and now it's dropped to barely over 150. Everything is so slow with this. I feel ashamed, too, and inadequate, and obsolete....damn

sorry - incompetent

[ In Reply To ..]
This is so darn sad that we have to use ashamed and inadequate to describe our work, after all these years.

Sorry - You are not alone

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel the same way. I have been with them for 6 years also. Was making at one point over $50,000 a year (full-time) now last year made $26,000. On top of that, no more bonuses, MT week prizes, no 401K matching, no ANYTHING! And the bonuses (incentives) they do offer are ridiculous because there usually isn't any work anyway, and when there is work, the goals they set are out of reach, and all that work to make a measley 3 cents extra per line! Don't think so. I find myself working harder and harder just to make half as much as I was making. I have had to pick up a second part time job just to take up the slack and pay the bills. There has to be a better opportunity out there.

could have written your post myself- not alone - NJA Queen

[ In Reply To ..]
You described exactly my situation too. They used to reward the high producers and those who worked extra and gave up days off to help out. The incentives truly are a slap in the face to high producers. How is it an incentive to me to hit 8000+ lines in 4 days to even hit my target when other MTs targets are under 4000? So if I hit 8000 lines I just hit my target but if other MTs with a goal of 4000 hit 8000 they make an extra $120! For the same work! I just find myself ignoring the incentive emails and cries for OT help and concentrating on getting out of this place. Hopefully not too long!

Struggling too - mom2huskies

[ In Reply To ..]
After being a transcriptionist for 25 years I too am struggling. I used to make over $50,000 a year, now I am lucky to make half of that.

The other day I was talking with one of my neighbors, who wants to work at home, and she asked me about transcription. I advised her that it is a dying career. At this point I would advise against it.

Dying Career - ame

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember my transcription supervisor at a hospital I worked at 23 years ago told me with voice recognition coming in the future we would become obsolete. Well pretty much transcriptionists are but not medical editors, but who wants to be an ME at the pay they offer, its BS. All my friends used to want to do what I do (work at home) and like you know I tell them not to even bother going to school for it. Medical coding and billing is where the money is now. I had the chance to get my CCS 23 years ago at that hospital as I was coding half-time and transcribing half-time and I didn't like a dummy and so now I have to go back to school!
I think billing and coding will go the same way as - medical transcription did.....n/m
[ In Reply To ..]

Could have been written by me - feel the same way

[ In Reply To ..]
I have already hung up on my husband this morning, fought with my daughter, and flipped a guy off in a pick-up for cutting me off when I took my daughter to school. I didn't used to be this person. I hate my job. I hate this company. And I hate gettnig up to do it all again every day. I wish I had stayed at my in-house job and never heard of MedQuist.

Disclaimer: Yes I have put out other applications. Nothing so far. No flaming please. Just agreeing with the poster's comments.

Felt the same! - Workin gal

[ In Reply To ..]
I was in the same exact boat with MQ and Spheris before that. I admit it is awaful out there. MT positions are so hard to find anymore, companies make promises they don't keep,the VR and ESLs have truly ruined it. I am working for two companies so I get enough work for part time. I got away from hospital transcription, just couldn't face it any longer, but I am an IC. I am still trying to secure an employee position, but again, no luck, so I am an IC which I am not exactly happy about, but do it. Don't stay at MQ, look around. It took me 8 months to find another job, was fired from that one in 4 months, went three months on just about nothing and now 6 months later, just starting to see some daylight. No it hasn't been easy, in fact, it has been a nightmare, who would have thought! BUT, I am away from MQ and I swear I will do this until my fingers fall off or whatever befalls me, before I would ever, ever, consider working for a company like that again. No way should anyone be treated in any kind of profession/job the way MQ treats its employees. Good luck to us all!

I wish I had stayed at my in-house job, too! I was - making about $23/hr. there, but -

[ In Reply To ..]
was convinced I could make much more than that, AND work at home, at an MTSO. So I joined a good small company, and although the pay wasn't what I'd been led to believe by other employees there, it was okay. I had my "freedom". Or so I thought. Then my nice little company got bought out, and you know the rest!

Every day they make me feel inadequate, like I'm some kind of dumb beginner, or a slacker, even though half the time there is no work. My pay, in just a couple short years, has gone from $48,000 a year to about $20,000 a year.

I worry EVERY SINGLE DAY about where that next month's rent is going to come from. The day after payday, once I've paid my bills, put aside half the rent, and bought a few groceries on whatever little is left (less and less each month!), I then have NOTHING... not one red cent, until the next ever-dwindling paycheck. Overtime isn't possible because we get NJA every day.

I've been applying all over the place, looking for either a different full-time job, or at least a 2nd part-time one to add a few dollars a month to the pot. But so far, no one wants to even have me test! Why? Because I've been doing this for 35 years, and everyone must just assume that I'm going to retire in 2 or 3 years. Nothing could be further from the truth! I will NEVER be able to retire! Not even partially! I'll have to die at my desk.

I'm depressed, I hate my life, I hate not being able to afford to do anything for recreation, I hate feeling obsolete and un-needed in the workforce.

I WANT TO WORK, DAMMIT!

re: rant - insert your name here

[ In Reply To ..]
I still love transcribing. It's the industry that I don't feel fondly toward... All that aside, I hope I can inspire you to not give up.

I also am over 50, but I don't limit myself in anything. (no aches or pains keep me down!) My age is just a number. I'll finish school (BA in education) in December and hope to get a teaching gig soon after. I don't plan on quitting at MQ at all. I've continued to work FT all these years I've been in school.

When I'm at by keyboard clicking away, I still feel that "in the zone" and I love it.

At this age, instead of feeling like your doomed to die in a year or so, think of it as we might be around for several decades still! We need to do good my ourselves and our family and God willing, as long as I have strength and willpower, I will work!

I hope you find the strength you need to lift you up out of this funk and begin to "LIVE" your life. It's not nearly over! You ARE NOT alone. God bless you and give you strength friend!

PS. One of my classmates is in her mid 60's, on disability and still plugging away. She gives me inspiration too. My mother got her GED at the age of 52, went on to college and got a BA in business, then went on to get a job as a manager at a high school cafeteria. She worked until the school 20 years. She's still working PT at an accounting firm! She shows no signs of slowing down!

Still discouraged, but thank you! - Some day...

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for the inspiration! I too have considered going back to school while working here to plan for a more profitable future. I wondered if I should or could at age 40, but after hearing from you, I say, "why not"? Good luck to you. Having said that, it is still awfully hard to pick myself up everyday with a positive attidude and continue to be treated so poorly by a company I give my best to, ya know?

Im 60, would pass for 40-something, and have plenty - of working years left in me. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
But how is any company going to know that I'm not a worn-out hag unless they test me and/or interview me? All I ever get are the "Sorry, the position is filled" form-emails, only to see a couple days later that they're STILL HIRING.

Everyone is struggling these days no matter what they do for a living - It is a tougher world than it was 10 years ago

[ In Reply To ..]
We were riding high about 10 years ago, but I don't know anyone who is doing well in any profession these days. Things have gone downhill faster than anyone could have imagined. "They" gave away all our jobs. There is nothing left for us, thanks to the decisions leaders of both parties have made. Until that changes and there are jobs that Americans can do, it won't get any better. I'm not sure it ever will.

My daughter in law started as a bank teller - making as much as I make.

[ In Reply To ..]
In my neck of the woods everybody is not suffering so much. My former co-workers at the hospital where I worked are making $20 per hour (and some more) and getting 5 weeks vacation per year, sick leave, raises, and INCENTIVE PAY for every minute of dictation over 120 per day. I could kick myself, but I thought that in-house transcription was a thing of the past and I jumped on the MQ bandwagon 6 years ago and thought it was great for a couple of years -- the last 4 have been horrible. Husband has a government job -- gets raises, holidays, time off, etc. Economy or not, I think we are a pitiful bunch and I, too, am now embarrassed and shamed because of what I do, how little respect I get for it, and how little I am able to contribute to my family's standard of living.

Not getting it - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I always thought one felt ashamed when they were guilty of wrong doing. Why does everyone use the word ashamed? I know who SHOULD feel ashamed. The management of this P*** poor company.
Compared to everyone else I know, I feel like a - complete failure. Never been on UE, either. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
You are not a failure. - mom2huskies
[ In Reply To ..]
Remember,it takes a lot of intelligence to do our job. The MTSOs are the ones that are failures. The sad part is that they have forgotten that we are the ones who are supporting them, not the other way around. I just hope that one day they find themselves facing paycuts/layoffs/cut in benefits. Anyways, I believe one day they will end up paying for their greed one way or the other.
I sure hope some of us live long enought to see - them pay. Food for our souls! nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

You'll hate yourself - if you compare

[ In Reply To ..]
If you compare what you get working at home for a private company to any government job, you'll hate yourself. However, it doesn't mean you are a bad person so don't take it personally. People choosing government jobs got lucky, but their luck may run out as us private-sector taxpayers may be unwilling to support their high healthcare costs and pensions, while we get squat for working our fingers to the bone. Why the dichotomy of justice between those who work for the government and us? Because Medquist and other corporations can get away with it. You need to put confidence back in your pocket somehow. I know what this job can do to you. I've been here for 10 years, but I've got things on the back burner in case my MQ income stops altogether.

Im actually starting to consider moving to another country. - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]

Get your mojo back with a - Second fulfilling job

[ In Reply To ..]
MQ is using you for their ill-gotten gains. Use them back. Use them now for what you are getting, however small that income is. Tough it out now and bear the pain. My personal reason for staying is the benefits. For the past 10 years I've been simultaneously building another job based from my home. I'm learning how NOT to take advantage of people by throwing my love of dogs into the equation. People can feel how passionate I am about my job (not in transcription) and love the service I provide with my poodles before and after they get their dog. Google Poodlepassion, one word, on the net, and see me and them in action. I'm doing the right thing and feel good about myself. Of course, I'm still suffering working FT at MQ while trying to give the rest of my day to my poodles, but if I didn't have them, I'm sure my ego would be crushed by the Q.

Find something you can also do at home, that maybe you've always wanted to do, a hobby, beading? Sewing? Counseling? If your heart is in it, you can get your mojo back!

I a couple of friends who work with dogs. - mom2huskies

[ In Reply To ..]
One friend babysits dogs and another is a groomer. I have been thinking about doing grooming on the side. I have a Husky myself, and he is quite the character.

Also, I have been looking at the different job fairs. There are a few companies that are hiring for the holidays. I figure even if it is temporary at least I may make a little extra money, and have some fun working for a change.

You have to remember that a lot of people are having a rough time.

It's tough for me, too - Second fulfilling job

[ In Reply To ..]
I meet up with many people asking to get one of my poodles, thinking they can make a quick buck raising poodles like me, but I can see right through their motivation and turn many people away. I do it mostly for my lifelong love of poodles, so it's Very gratifying. The money helps (even though the taxes eat me alive) but it's rewarding in so many ways. Believe me, it hasn't been easy for 10 years trying to work 2 full-time jobs but I know I'd be suffering more if I were out of work completely. I also make my own sacrifices, but the thing that keeps me going is those angel eyes looking to me every day.

You gotta get creative to make your business stand out. Unfortunately, companies like MQ are presently being rewarded for their evil ways taking advantage of us. I'm being rewarded by doing the right thing, taking responsibility for finding only the best homes for my poodles and I can go to sleep at night with a clear conscience, albeit still with many bills to pay. You just have to be pro-active.

Its hard to do when youre so depressed that your - heart is in NOTHING. I just wanna SLEEP.

[ In Reply To ..]
That's the only time my life is any good, is when I'm asleep. The worse the real life is, the better my dreams are. And lately, they've been GREAT! I'm always disappointed every morning when I wake up, and have to face the total void of nothingness that my job has become.

hard when you are depressed - mm

[ In Reply To ..]
That is so sad. I used to work for MQ, was the worst experience of my life. I was unemployed for awhile but now I work for a wonderful company.

I felt so depressed at MQ and worthless that it is was hard to get up. I finally couldn't take it anymore, thought I would end up divorced.

You can take something for your depression, that and leaving MQ helped me through one of the most depressing times of my life.

Just wanna SLEEP....I agree! - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel NOTHING all the time now. It's getting to where I really don't care about anything. My work is suffering. The only thing that brings me happiness these days is my grandchildren. They are the only reason I'm still around.

I left my ex-husband 10 years ago because he was unfaithful but realize now I should have stayed, at least he was willing to support me. I thought I could support myself with my MedQuist job BUT NO! That only lasted a few more years and everything is going downhill quickly for me now. My life sucks big time!!!!
re: those who'd rather sleep - Patsy
[ In Reply To ..]
How sad for your families... See this doesn't just hurt you, but your family too.

I hope that you get up enough energy to get some help.

Life doesn't suck. Life is just life. We're not alone. Your grandchildren are NOT the only reason you're around. There are many many reasons you are here. You've just lost your purpose and your focus.

Please get help. Call the helpline (already mentioned). Everyone suffers when a family member is chronically depressed.
I haven't seen my family in a year. All I do is work. - Oh, well, mosta my family is depressed, too.
[ In Reply To ..]

TIME TO GET ON THE HORN, FOLKS - Call the Free Help Line

[ In Reply To ..]
Call the MedQuist Employee Assistance Program on MQCentral. I did that once a few years ago and the person I spoke to was very sympathetic. Depression must be addressed or it will eat you alive. They will give you your options and help you see things more clearly, which is the first step in tackling your depression. I personally take Celexa. Without it, I would not have survived all the crushing blows at our company.
I don't trust those things. Also already take Zoloft. - Keeps me going, but just barely. (nm)
[ In Reply To ..]

The longer I work for an MTSO, the more strongly I - believe that MTSOs are not legitimate businesses.

[ In Reply To ..]
For all the reasons you mentioned, and then some. Like their shady business practices, completely turning their backs on the plight of their own U.S. workers, dishonest pay and OT practices, etc.

WHY DOESN'T SOMEONE INVESTIGATE THESE PEOPLE? THEY'RE CROOKS!!!

They're the Private Sector - Could get away with murder

[ In Reply To ..]
If MQ was government-related, they wouldn't get away with it. Unfortunately, the private-sector of corporate America is made up of opportunists. In this day and age, they are being rewarded for being "successful" no matter how they got there.

They tried to get out of paying PTO. - mom2huskies

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not trust Medquist. I had a day scheduled off after Labor Day, as I figured there would be no work. Low and behold, they screwed up my check. I called, and Payroll said that they will correct it. But, that is an example on how they treat us MTs. I called and e-mailed, and it took several attempt, but I will NOT let them take my money.

That is one example of how they try to get away with not paying; but yet at the same time all the CEOs have a golden parachute. It is just not right. All we ask for is a decent wage with decent benefits.

Almost homeless - PedalPshr

[ In Reply To ..]
It's not hopeless. I'm 55 years old, experienced MT...landed 2 IC jobs with 2 different companies in past 2 years. You have to believe you are worth more than what you're getting and GO GET IT! Also could be time to become IC rather than employee. It's a tough decision but I could not survive well if I hated my job/life. MQ may not care but you can. Hang in there

You're not alone at all...... - LindaDi

[ In Reply To ..]
I am in total agreement with you. MQ is the only place where you make less the longer you work there. I'm just waiting for an opportunity to end this misery...I'm sick and tired of being taken advantage of, and that's just what MQ is doing........

Similar Messages:

What The Q Has Done For (or To) Me (rant)
Feb 06, 2010

I was thinking about this earlier today.  I worked for a lot of years in hospitals doing MT, worked for doctors doing the same (I often had doctors try to steal me away from the hospitals I worked for to go and work for them but I'm loyal to a fault and it sometimes gets me hurt), and when I was just working for a doctor to cover for a transcriptionist on vacation, I was always asked back for the next vacation.  Always had perfection with my reports, never ever had an issue w ...

May I Rant?
May 17, 2010

I work for a small MT company that put me on a small account with 4 doctors, and I was told that I'd be the only MT.  Within a week it was obvious someone else was taking all the work, and I was told that this other MT was only supposed to take jobs "when necessary."  However, she takes all the jobs the second they show up.  Despite watching like a hawk for 10 hours a day, I get maybe 35% of the dictations overall, and the whole time I know that this other MT has OTHER work s ...

DSG Rant. (sm)
Aug 30, 2010

I have tried to give DSG a chance because I really hate changing jobs, but damn... this ASR gets worse every single day. I thought I was developing a rhythm and some speed with it finally and now it can't complete a single solitary sentence in any report I've had in the last three days without a serious error. It doesn't even come CLOSE to typing what the dictator very, VERY clearly says. I don't understand how ASR works, but how can it be getting worse all these months af ...

My VR Rant.
Jul 21, 2011

I think I could really make good money on VR if I was the only one on my account or if it learned specifically to each person editing.  I'm getting so tired of working on reports for a day to finally get them to start coming out needing little editing by the end of the day and then coming back on the next day to find the same reports SO full of errors after different people were on the account for the next shift.  It's great when you have other people who are good at their jo ...

Rant - Sorry
Aug 01, 2011

Okay.  Well, I decided to test with my old company again (SoftScript) with which I had  been employed for four years.  I failed their test.  My rant is this.  Am I being unfair to think that it is on record that I worked for them four years, was never late, always got my lines, always got 98% or above on audits (my last audit was 100%)  and it has only been 5 months since I left ??  Shouldn't all of this be taken into account ??  I suppose n ...

This Is A Rant.
Dec 22, 2012

Let me preface by saying that I am not a veteran in this field. I have only been a MT for about a year and a half. I graduated from one of the AHDI accepted schools. In the short time I have been working, I have worked for both of the national MTSOs. In my opinion the grass is brown on either side of the fence. I was originally enamored by the possibility of working from home and setting my own schedule. The later may be true if you have experience and are fortunate enough to hire on with a good ...

Just A Rant
Nov 28, 2013

My days are numbered, I already know.  I've given this job the best I could do.  After 14 years of no complaints they have broken me with their petty BS, condescending ways, (Feel free to reach out....), then when you do if you're not on the prime list you get no answer or worse false info.  Requested part time from the beginning but 35 hours is not P/T to me.  Lot of flexing because shift is 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.  (I was not made aware I have to ASK if it was ok to ...

RANT
Jul 29, 2014

I just need to vent. I really wish these residents would learn how to press the @#$%$% PAUSE button. I am so tired of listening to their (literally) 14-minute discussions with other residents while they are dictating a 4-minute op note. Obviously they do not realize that there is an acutal person at the other end of that dictation line, who has a family to provide for, and their jibber jabbing is a complete waste of my time and taking money out of my pocket while I am listening to them talk abou ...

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! This Is A Rant
Mar 24, 2015

Mandatory OT????? I am doing jobs that were dictated less than 1 hour ago.  I am getting the worst of the worst ESL dictators.  I don't mind doing some of them but I don't want ALL of them.  Pass the garbage to some others.  My head is pounding try to figure out what they are attempting to say.  Will be lucky if I come anywhere close to 1200 lines today. Wishing for power to go out.  HA!! ...

Rant Warning!!!!!
Nov 01, 2009

I have spent the enitre morning doing ASR on an ER doc who does not pronounce anything correctly, eats loudly and talks with her mouth full, yawns but does not stop talking and says things that make absolutely no sense at all.  I beg anyone who this sounds famiiliar to to email Support and ask that she be removed from ASR.  I have done half my usual line count today because of this horrid woman, and I can't even F11 because of the stupid limit!!!!!  My irritation factor is th ...

General Rant
Jan 11, 2011

Have you ever noticed than when a dictator tries to adopt a "conversational" style of dictating, that it is very hard to try and figure out what's being said?  They start and stop several times so that you can't remember what the original line of dictation was, plus they add "you know" every other sentence.  I DON'T KNOW!!!!!  My account is a verbatim one and so I figure out as near as I can what he's saying and then send it through.  ...

Offshore Rant
Jan 21, 2011

With workloads running low, wouldn't you think the companies would end offshore transcription and give the work to American MTs?  The only thing that keeps me from bringing this up to HR is that I genuinely like the company I work for and I like both my accounts.  There is just this one thorn in the side ...    ...

My Big Rant - $48 Versus $81!!!!
Feb 11, 2011

For the hours I worked yesterday, I earned a total of $48!!! The breakdown was 60% ASR and 40% typing,and out of 3 jobs I get paid for typing, 2 of them were ASR jobs that I had to F11!!!! If I had typed all of the jobs, I would have earned $81. Talk about a slap in the face, both professionally and reality-wise. Reality with the Q is worse than I thought. Oh yeh sure ASR is faster than typing - NOT!!. As an example, one ASR job was 8 minutes. It took me 45 minutes to complete that job! I ...

RadTrans Rant
Feb 11, 2011

I saw their ad for a Radiology MT, sent in my resume, and she contacted me the same day.  I was available for the hours she was looking for and was excited for the opportunity, since she pays very well.  She sent me the test, and when I sent my test back, she informed me she hired someone else the day before.  Mind you that we had been talking by email back and forth the day before - so why didn't she tell me that then?  I know emails have no personality, or they shouldn ...

My Rant To TransTech
Apr 19, 2011

With this hand-slap email, "...We understand some of them are unnerving, but it is everyone's responsibility to do whatever comes in queue timely.  Every now and again we are going to lose TAT for one reason or another, but it cannot be for this reason.  It is pretty hard to explain to our clients that our loss of TAT was due to MTs avoid certain jobs. "  I'm just a little curious, TT Boss Lady, does this apply to the 2 MTs on this account who are fed OP notes excl ...

Student Rant
Jul 11, 2011

I am months away from completing an "associates degree" in MT at a well-known online "university."  As I have prepared to change careers and start finding a job, I have realized what you all seem to already know...the job pickings are slim at best, and NO ONE wants to hire a newbie.  In short, I have never felt so taken advantage of and just...scammed.  The education I have received is sub-par, with more time spent with unnecessary classes like "Keyboarding" than with classes tha ...

Small Rant
Jan 04, 2012

If you, the doctor, can't pronounce a medication or another doctor's name, what in the name of little green apples makes you think I can figure out what the heck you're saying so I can spell it correctly????   /rant. ...

Ok This Is Really A Rant And It's Long
Mar 15, 2012

THE DEMISE OF THE MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST I started to call this "The Demise of the Medical Transcription Industry," but that would have been inaccurate.  The industry itself is thriving.  Actually, transcription companies in all probability show the highest profit margin of any healthcare-related industry in the United States.  In fact, I would swear to it.  I have done some research and I came across several interesting articles.  This paragraph is an excerpt from a ...

A Long Rant
Apr 19, 2012

Hi, All. I'm out looking for a job (another displaced MT) and have been trying to organize my thoughts when a potential employer asks why my resume looks so ridiculous. Just sharing... I have been employed in the medical transcription (MT) field for over 20 years, both as a transcriptionist and at various levels of management. I obtained the CMT (Certified Medical Transcriptionist) credential in 1990; however, this certification is not, and has never been, acknowledged by medical ...

Mini Rant
Feb 28, 2013

It so bugs me when people who should know better mispronounce words in dictation!  This NP who is dictating says "ejection fracture" instead of ejection fraction consistently, doesn't even seem to stop and wonder what it might mean or if it makes any sense!  She seems to basically understand what she is dictating, so how can she not know there is no such thing as an ejection fracture?   When I'm typing I need to understand what I'm typing to make sure that what I&# ...

A Little Rant From Me Today.
Mar 07, 2013

So, I got chewed out by QA because a doctor dictated a lab value INCORRECTLY!  It was a genetic lab value, not your normal CMP, CBC or anything like that.  He DICTATED the value and I TYPED the value.  The dictator stated that this was a normal value.  He was quite clear in his dictation and I typed what I heard.   QA got all over me and said that lab value was incorrect, and not normal, so regardless if he dictated it, I should have flagged it.  I told her it wasn ...

If You're In The Mood To Rant Even Further...
Dec 24, 2013

or, if you just want a laugh, go to Glass Door and look at the reviews for Nuance. They have a total of 1.7 Stars. The first few pages are the honest slaves. At the end, there are some QC and "management" people who only have nice things to say.... There are even a handful of people from India on there, some happy, some not. I don't think it matters how many of us implode, explode, etc, Scrooge will NOT CHANGE. He's too busy counting his millions. (Actually he probably hired ...

Short Rant
Jan 01, 2014

I would love to have just 1 stinking report that I didn't have to renumber every list in that report.  Of course it has to be done manually which just slows me down!  Mission accomplished.  Short but sweet, I'm done.  Happy New Year all.  At least we know we have one constant in our lives other than having to pay taxes and die.  ...

My Turn To Rant
Oct 28, 2014

Before we got the notification about new changes, when I went to Fiesa, I had a lot of 100% reports, and very rarely got an email from Fiesa.  Now I am getting one every few days.  The person that used to edit my work no longer is, and a different person with an Indian-sounding name is editing my work.  What happened to no more nitpicking.  This person seems to find all kinds of nitpicking, nothing to do with patient care  I looked nipticking up in the urban di ...

WARNING---Rant Enclosed
Apr 06, 2010

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! I am typing a 25 minute dictation and every 5 words I get "I'm sorry, please go back"...I'm sorry, please go back...I'm sorry, please go back  start rant... PLEASE FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE GOING TO SAY BEFORE YOU START!!!!!!!  I love typing a REALLY long dictation and only getting 1/3 line credit because you made me change 90% of what you friggin dictated!!! end rant... Thank you...I really needed to vent! ...

Warning! Rant Ahead!
Dec 14, 2010

So my company is moving everyone from IC to employee on Jan 1. Pros: PTO days, insurance for FT, and they deal with taxes. Cons: I don't need their insurance. I want the "employer paid" portion in my check, which we won't get. Expected daily production went up. Level to reach incentive pay went up and not calculated daily. CPL rate went down 15%! And that's for standard transcription, not VR. Just in production pay alone, I'm losing $100-150 per pay period. Even wh ...

Save Me From Myself! (Rant Ahead)
Feb 24, 2011

This particular doc is super-annoying. He word salads/mumbles/sputters/, says things he thinks are funny and then laughs at his own "joke" (as in "I told the patient not to set himself on fire again while smoking crack heh-heh-heh"), and tonight he clearly and deliberately enunciated a phrase and then said, "I thought you people would have gotten this by now." WTF??? Among other things, this guy could not key in the correct number of a report if there were only 1 button on hi ...

ASR Productivity Statistics Rant
Oct 25, 2011

Regarding ASR productivity statistics, measured in ines and hours.  If the goal is to minimize the difference between gross and net LPH by decreasing inactivity length, then instruct all dictators to stop eating, talking to others, pausing, etc when dictating, and stop telling me to limit my time spent researching in one instance and then in another I'm being told to use the multiple resources available--you can't have it both ways! Regarding total mouse clicks:  Get real!&n ...

Don't You Just Love It - Mini Rant
Feb 20, 2012

- when you are given templates with headers, and then the docs don't even try to use them?  Or jump back and forth between categories?  I have one for whom I just type everything out flat and then try and divide it up in to the categories on the template.  I'm just glad my supervisor understands! ...

A Small Rant About Quotes
Jun 29, 2012

Dear young, somewhat stupid NPT: as dictated:  ...but he is "as good as he'll get." Uh, no.  That's not actually a quote, you know.  The patient did not say he's "as good as he'll get."  I believe he probably said he's "as good as I'll get."  Just FYI. Kthanksbye.   ...