A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Stability/balance ball chairs - Ayn

Posted: Jan 06, 2012

Anyone use a stability/balance ball as a chair while working?

Would appreciate hearing any thoughts on whether you felt it helped you with posture, core muscles, balance, etc.

my friend has one - ...

[ In Reply To ..]
I have not used one for transcribing, but I have tried my friend's ball chair. I found it very comfortable, and I totally wished I had one in my office.

Hope that helps a little!

I like mine - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a Gaiam in my office at work, which I sit on for relief from my regular chair. The regular chair is ergonomic and quite nice, but the ball is bouncy and wiggly, so it is a pleasant change. Yes, I think it does help with balance and core. It also helps with keeping my lower back and sacrum from getting tight. A minute or two after sitting on it and doing a little sideways wiggle, my lower back and sacrum loosens up and feels much better. It even pops out of wherever it was stuck. When I first got it, I could really feel that it exercised muscles in m midsection, so I am sure it works.

You have to sit properly upright, perched on it, with your head and spine aligned, or you will roll off. You cannot slouch or sit with a curved, hunched spine. Your feet get used. If they are not properly on the floor, off you go.. You can still use a footpedal. You sit in perfect keyboarding posture.

It helps me stay awake if I am likely to drift off. Conference calls can get boring and you can really get slouchy, so the chair is great for them.

I got mine on Amazon.com for about 75. It has a ball on a base that has 4 wheels and what looks like a short back support. That is not something to lean on though, it is more of a handle. You can get just the ball, but the chair is less hassle. You do not have to keep chasing it around. The ball alone is more troublesome to position. I requires more attention just to sit down. People who have tried both like mine. You can use mine for exercise, too, and then the handle is a nice safety feature. If you are into extreme sitting, the ball alone might do. The ball in the chair is smaller than what you wouldneed for sitting on the ball alone. You can remove the chair's ball for exercise.

It is very eas to assemble and comes with a pump.

If you want an extreme sitting arrangement, start with just a ball. If you want more control and less excitement, a more sedate experience, then start with the chair.

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Out There Use A Balance Ball Chair
Mar 24, 2011

I'm trying to use just my balance ball right now.  I have some low back problems and find that my posture is horrendous with sitting in a normal office chair; however, just the balance ball alone seems to be a little too low.  Overall, it feels more comfortable on my rear end than my normal office chair and I'm definitely sitting up straighter, but wondered if anyone else out there had any experiences, good or bad, with using a balance ball or the balance ball chair setup.&nb ...

S/l E-trips Ball Or Eclipse Ball Placement (back)
Oct 12, 2010

She had an MRI, which indicted disc problems at L5-S1. In late 2008, she had a lumbar laminectomy and discectomy.  She also had the application of an (________) ball placement for relief of discomfort and in place of a fusion.     S/L e-trips ball or eclipse ball DX is unhelpful --  "back pain, status postoperative" ...

MModal MTs, Do You Feel You Have Stability There?
Jun 20, 2012

I just accepted a position, mostly because I want some stability.  I've been an IC for 25 years but have found that in the last few years, I'm usually sending out resumes every 4 to 6 months because of no work or low work or MTSO lost account, etc. Most recently I signed on as an IC for a company who had taken a hospital's backlog, so I knew that one wouldn't last long.  It lasted 3 months. Just before that job, I was working for an MTSO who sent an email to all ...

Latest On Diskriter, New Owners, Stability
Dec 31, 2012

Please provide feedback- positive and negative - with regard to latest on Diskriter, new owners, stability, etc.  Thank you. ...

What Type Of Chairs Do You All Use?
Dec 04, 2012

Hi All, I am pretty sure I have either carpal tunnel or cubital tunnel syndrome.   I went to a hand surgeon because of numbness in my hands and fingers.  I feel tinging throughout all of my fingers most of the time.  I did at nerve conduction study and need a more in depth one because of the abnormalities.  Anyway, sorry for the description, but I'm wondering if it could be related to my chair.  My office chair has arms and I notice I do rest my elbows on ...

Ideas On Chairs
Jul 18, 2013

Hello all,  I have been in the transcription business now for 8 years and I have yet to find a comfortable chair! Comfort is everything when you are trying to stay in one spot to get a decent line count and when your butt is numb or tailbone hurts it's hard to do that!  Could you please share what kind of chairs you all have?  I am determined to buy one this weekend even if it is outrageously expensive!    TIA  ...

Comfortable Chairs
Apr 17, 2014

Does anyone have a heads up on a good, comfortable chair I can order online? I just moved into a new apartment and need a much better chair than the one I have. I used to think the more you paid, the better the chair but I've learned that's not true whatsoever. What's your chair like? ...

Isn't It Time For CCM Musical Chairs?
Mar 24, 2010

Maybe we could get one who would: Answer e-mails. Answer the phone. Grant/Deny PTO requests. Update us. Wouldn't that be loverrrrly? ...

Ergonomic Kneeling Chairs - Anyone Tried One?
Jun 05, 2012

Hello - My knees are a bit sensitive and I'm wondering if anyone out there who also has sensitive knees has ever tried one of these kneeling office chairs.  They're supposed to be quite good for the back and posture, though as I said, I'm a wee concerned about the knees. Anyone?  Thanks so much in advance. ...

S/l BALL TIP??
Dec 03, 2011

Horrible ESL... The 20-French s/l ball tip gastrostomy tube was passed and pulled out through the stomach.  ...

PTO Balance In ScheduleSource
Dec 28, 2009

Does anyone know when the PTO balance is updated in ScheduleSource?  Is it at the end of each week or at the end of each pay period or when?  I'm trying to figure out how many PTO hours I have left for this year after having used a couple of days last week. ...

S/l Tonsil Ball
Mar 23, 2010

Using this term during an umbilical hernia repair with mesh, states:  Dermabond was then applied. A ________was then fashioned into her umbilicus area. Sounds like tonsil ball. Thanks so much. ...

Ball Rest?
Aug 31, 2010

The patient was placed at s/l (ball rest) and sent home on s/l (prenal) nutrition and is readmitted for colectomy.   This dictation is so fussy. Can you help please? ...

Where To Buy A VR Crystal Ball?
Feb 14, 2013

Apparently in addition to transcribing, acute listening, and translating . . . now I'm supposed to have ESP skills to know what they MEANT to say even if it is strictly "verbatim," there is a gray area we are to instinctively know called, "Transcription clairvoyance, what the dictator meant to say." Hey, they can't have it both ways - if verbatim is what they demand, verbatim is what they get unless that dictator directs me to change what was said all of the creepy stuff stays! I c ...

Perfect Balance
May 14, 2015

I attempt to balance my life and have, for the most part, been successful in the past 10 years with MM.  However, with the constant MOT for the past several months, I feel like I'm in constant chaos.  I can no longer find time to cook, clean, be with my husband, be with my kids, spend time with my extended family, exercise, find time for me, etc.  I am constantly tired, achy, and feel physically and emotionally sick.  I don't eat properly or on a schedule anymore be ...

Pata Ball Injury?!
Sep 24, 2010

Dictation about upcoming knee replacement - past medical history sounded like "She had a recognized pata-ball injury" but pata-ball doesn't look right to me... ...

PTO Balance - After Leaving Nuance
Aug 03, 2012

To those who have recently left Nuance, how long after receiving your last check do you get paid for you PTO balance?  Or do you not get that $$? I'm trying to be patient as I received my last check last pay period and it did not include any $$ for my PTO balance. Thanks! ...

Vacation Time Balance
Sep 13, 2013

I know this is a dumb question but how do you know how many hours you still have available for vaca? Is it the number under "Balance" in Teamwork?   Thanks! ...

Remaining PTO Balance When You Quit
Jan 20, 2014

I quit today and will have 3 days work in, with a remaining PTO balance of about 2 days.  Any idea when they will pay out the PTO and if it will be direct deposited with my last line payout? ...

No Pay Hour Balance In The NEGATIVE
Jun 05, 2015

Can't wait to hear my CCM yell at me for being in the negative with my hours.  I am still short 5.8 hours today and my shift has been over for 1.5 hours.  Everyone seems to work hard come end of pay period leaving me with no jobs available.  How can this be my fault..? There are only 2.5 hours in my PTO bank and regardless if I use them or not, cannot wait to hear her choice of words she throws at me!  typically condescending.    Oh well.  There was ...

Top 25 Companies For Work/Life Balance
Aug 16, 2013

See, some companies do value employees as real people.   http://www.glassdoor.com/Top-Companies-for-Work-Life-Balance-LST_KQ0,35.htm?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=topwl13-generic&utm_content=topwl13-generic ...

Ortho - Hip Stability Test - S/l "dolly Ozzies"
Feb 18, 2010

I must be way off because I can't find it in my books either.  Thanks for any help. DDH of the left hip. Examination of her hips today showed _____, Ortolani, and Barlow tests are negative.  Hips are quite stable. ...

The WHOLE Ball Of "wax" For What It Is Worth
May 29, 2012

I was one today, who "joined the lawsuit."  Reason being is that I have worked for MANY companies in MANY capacites and have found companies whom like TTD and other companies are subcontractors for other companies  - yes, there are compllaints of "low work/no work;"  its not necessariy India or the Phillipines, but AMERICAN companies or individual MTs who are SOOO swamped they put ads on and hire people.  I recently did QA for a company and was told not to touch a certain gro ...