A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What type of chairs do you all use? - PJ

Posted: Dec 04, 2012

Hi All,

I am pretty sure I have either carpal tunnel or cubital tunnel syndrome.   I went to a hand surgeon because of numbness in my hands and fingers.  I feel tinging throughout all of my fingers most of the time.  I did at nerve conduction study and need a more in depth one because of the abnormalities.  Anyway, sorry for the description, but I'm wondering if it could be related to my chair.  My office chair has arms and I notice I do rest my elbows on the arms of them while typing.  So, I just wanted to know which for you all is more confortable?  Also if you have had CTS or cubital tunnel syndrome, what did you do to be able to keep working but curb the symptoms? 

Thank you all :)

What I did - MT2Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I switched careers to coding, where there is less intense keyboarding. That solved the carpal and cubital tunnel problems, along with several other issues.

You might try B vitamins. That helps a lot of people. Seriously, it is not just a home remedy. There is good science to back it up, especially if you drink alcohol at all.

Avoid nonsteroidal antiinflammatories, as they cause fluid retention that makes the nerve compression worse.

Thanks MTtocoder, I"m almost done with coding classes at Andrews :) - PJ

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you, MTtoCoder. I will try the B vitamins. I don't drink, but I will definitely try those. All of these carpal tunnel stuff started about a year ago and it's just getting worse. The first time I ever dealt with carpal tunnel before this was 11 years ago when I was pregnant with my first son; didn't have it with my second pregnancy. But, it's really getting to be unbearable. I will try your advice. Thank you so much.

SoftFlex computer gloves and no leaning my arms/elbows on anything. - carpal/cubital

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Thank you! I will try those too! :) - PJ

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

If you're between sizes, be sure to go with the smaller. - carpal/cubital

[ In Reply To ..]
They do stretch out over time (and I'll sometimes sew or pin the sides in some to extend their life, but new ones feel sooo good). They've literally saved my MT career. Not sure if I should really be thankful for that or not. ;)

Available at SoftFlex.com in pairs, but I just found another site that also sells singles, yay. Glad you asked about this; I'll be getting newer ones more often now.

I have had cubital tunnel for a month now! - CTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
It is making my pinky finger numb and tingly, so i type with it up in the air using the other for fingers, this is causing cramping, i am so miserable about it. Doing ulnar nerve gliding exercises now, but not working yet. i put my chair with the arms away and took one without arms. i used to rest my left arm on the chair arm and i now i caused it to compress. just though with stopping that it would have gone away by now. i have no medical insurance and cannot afford any procedures, not that i would want anyone cutting me up anyway!

try tilting your keyboard down - OHMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think the trick is to keep your wrists from bending, but the normal placement of the keyboard forces your wrists to tilt up. My keyboard tray has a built-in wrist rest, so I propped the bottom end of the keyboard on the wrist rest. Now my keyboard is angled down, which keeps my wrists flat. It also brings the keyboard closer to me so my arms are at my sides rather than stretched out in front of me. I did this years ago and haven't had a problem since. Give it a try, maybe it'll help.

The couch. My setup works for both leg swelling and wrist. - position, shoulders. N/M

[ In Reply To ..]

I agree with ... - Patty

[ In Reply To ..]
keeping your wrists as even as possible. Adjust your chair height and scoot closer/farther accordingly. - Better not to use arm rests or the keyboard wrist rests. - Also massaging forearms regularly does wonders!!

what helped me - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I started experiencing numbness and tingling in my right hand about 8 months ago. Sometimes it would feel like a "zing" sensation up and into my elbow. It got to the point where it would be present all the time, not just when I was on the computer. I looked into getting an ergonomic keyboard. In doing some research, I read that my symptoms are more related to wrist compression from using a mouse rather then keyboard related. I purchased an ergonomic mouse, a "joy-stick" type. I still get some achiness in my wrists after working long hours but the numbness and tingling in my right hand has not been a problem since switching to the new mouse.

Similar Messages:

Ideas On Chairs
Jul 18, 2013

Hello all,  I have been in the transcription business now for 8 years and I have yet to find a comfortable chair! Comfort is everything when you are trying to stay in one spot to get a decent line count and when your butt is numb or tailbone hurts it's hard to do that!  Could you please share what kind of chairs you all have?  I am determined to buy one this weekend even if it is outrageously expensive!    TIA  ...

Comfortable Chairs
Apr 17, 2014

Does anyone have a heads up on a good, comfortable chair I can order online? I just moved into a new apartment and need a much better chair than the one I have. I used to think the more you paid, the better the chair but I've learned that's not true whatsoever. What's your chair like? ...

Isn't It Time For CCM Musical Chairs?
Mar 24, 2010

Maybe we could get one who would: Answer e-mails. Answer the phone. Grant/Deny PTO requests. Update us. Wouldn't that be loverrrrly? ...

Ergonomic Kneeling Chairs - Anyone Tried One?
Jun 05, 2012

Hello - My knees are a bit sensitive and I'm wondering if anyone out there who also has sensitive knees has ever tried one of these kneeling office chairs.  They're supposed to be quite good for the back and posture, though as I said, I'm a wee concerned about the knees. Anyone?  Thanks so much in advance. ...

Stability/balance Ball Chairs
Jan 06, 2012

Anyone use a stability/balance ball as a chair while working?   Would appreciate hearing any thoughts on whether you felt it helped you with posture, core muscles, balance, etc. ...

What Is The Correct Way To Type Hepatitis C "type 2A/2C Or IIA/11C?
May 14, 2010

. ...

Doctor Says RF X3. Do I Type RF X3 Or Type Out Refill X3
Jun 23, 2010

nm ...

If It Is Dictated Type 2 Or 3 Acromion, Do You Type 2 Or 3 Or II Or III?
Sep 08, 2010

TIA ...

HELP: If ECG Is Dictated, Can I Type As Is, Or Type In Full?
Nov 09, 2010

If ECG is dictated, can I use the abbreviation, or type in full? ...

MMSE Is Pertinent To "an Abunzant" Type Dementia Of Alzheim'er Type. :/ ESL
Apr 22, 2010

MMSE is pertinent to "an abunzant" type dementia of Alzheim'er type. ...

Type 2 Or Type II Diabetes
Nov 20, 2009

Which is the correct way to type...type 2 or type II diabetes? tia. ...

Anyone Type For Silent Type?
Aug 10, 2010

Wondering if anyone out there has any feedback about working for Silent Type?  I have done the test and have been told I will interview in two weeks when the position becomes available... I think there is a mandatory 2 day training in NJ?  Anyone done this and survived?  How's the pay?  I was considering going to work for MedQuist because they are taking over one of my current IC accounts but after reading in the MedQuist section I think I'll skip that one.  Th ...

All Type Pay?
Nov 10, 2009

Does anyone know what pay range All Type starts off at?  Does anyone have any experience with them?  I have a test to complete and before I invest my time taking it, I wanted to get some feedback.  Thanks ahead of time. ...

How Do You Type
Nov 13, 2009

4-ply lift... He has been weightbearing as tolerated in a boot with a full 4-ply lift. tia. ...

Type 3 Or Type III
Nov 16, 2009

type 3 or III subacromial impingement... tia. ...

How Do You Type This?
Jan 18, 2010

at this point we are going to get an "AP lateral scapular Y"? ...

Would You Type This?
Mar 09, 2010

Doctor says "we will punt him over to Dr.  So and So." Would you type "punt," leave blank, or replace this with "send," "refer," or something more appropriate? This doctor is always saying odd things...LOL. ...

All-type
Mar 16, 2010

I know that I asked before but never got a response, although many read my post.  Anyone working now, or ever worked for All-Type?  Need good and bad.  The last archive I saw was for September 2009.  Was offered a job, and now nothing.  Is this familiar?  ...

How To Type This?
Mar 24, 2010

There is grade 3 anterolisthesis of C3 upon C4 with fairly significant associated spinal stenosis. ...

Type Of Lab
May 01, 2010

Heavy ESL: "more specific autoimmune antibodies like a scade profile" ...

How Do You Type Q Day
Jun 28, 2010

She is still taking Percocet 1 to 1-1/2 tablets Q-day..tia. ...

Anything On All Type?
Jun 28, 2010

Hey all!   Thinking about leaving my current company.  All Type says they can give me an all typing account, I have been doing mostly VR for over a year and am making less and less money.    So I am curious about All Type.  Thanks! ...

How Would I Type This?
Aug 15, 2010

d:  "Recurrent, recurrent right inguinal hernia" It is a recurrence of a recurrent hernia.  Would I type it as said or as "re-recurent?"  This is not a verbatim account. ...

How Would I Type This:
Nov 19, 2010

The doctor says, " A split thickness skin graft was obtained from the anterior left thigh "18 thousandths of an inch deep."  Is this how I type the 18 thousandths or should it be another way. Thanks in advance for the help. ...

Type Of TPN
Feb 01, 2011

Patient is on TPN. Starte tube feeds with s/l ox-ce-va. Can't find reference.  Help if you can please. ...

Can Someone Please Tell Me How To Type Out (sm)
May 03, 2011

milliliters per meter squared   TIA ...

Does Anyone Type In EMR
Aug 11, 2011

Switching from straight typing to typing in Electronic Medical Records.  They are trying to figure pay scale for transcriptionist.  Does anyone had any dealings with such a set up and if so how are you paid? ...

Need To Know How To Type A Value
Sep 24, 2012

I hope someone can help me. The doctor is dictating lab results and he clearly says 3 times 10 to the 6 red cells and then again 3 times 10 to the 6 white cells. I've never had this before. Anyone know the correct way to type that out? Any help will be appreciated. thanks faiyth   ...

Type 4 Or Type IV
Apr 29, 2015

How is renal tubular acidosis classified.  Is it in regular numbers or numerals.  Example:  Renal tubular acidosis type 4 or type IV?  ...

What Is The Best Type Of Keyboard?
Oct 13, 2009

I have a REALLY old, loud COMPAQ keyboard.  I am going to buy a new one soon.  What are the best kinds for transcription?  With mine, you really have to punch down on the keys, and I know that a lot of the newer ones are much easier to press.  Any ideas? ...