A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

resume help - how to make volunteer items - stand out

Posted: Sep 23, 2012

I am looking for anything in HIM (but not finished with HIM classes yet) - how can I make it look like I've done more with my life than transcribed for 15 years?  I've had offices in many local organizations, etc and taught youth groups.. I just feel like when recruiters see my resume they see "15 years sitting and typing"...

Heck, that's not what I would think. I would think here is a - resourceful person, knows how to manage SM

[ In Reply To ..]
her time with minimal supervision, is probably pretty well organized, is a self-starter, can probably start new job with minimal supervision, is very comfortable with medical documents, is pretty much computer savy, understands medical documents, understands HIPAA, has a good understanding of how the document are processed. You might work this into your resume instead of the volunteer stuff. Have had hiring managers tell me they skip right over that stuff.

wow thanks - I needed that boost

[ In Reply To ..]
thanks - that definitely made my feeling down attitude shift! I will find a way to put those phrases in that resume!

Volunteer - Inquiring minds

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't put yourself down because you are an MT. Focus on your strengths and mention any other projects you might have worked on over the years. Do emphasize your knowledge of HIPAA and confidentiality laws and your computer skills. I disagree about the volunteer service, however. I would suggest including it in a separate section on your resume, especially if any of it involved work skills. Employers do look at that, many will inquire about it on the application. I've been an MT for over 30 years and was forced to move on because of a layoff. It may take a while but I know you can do it, good luck.

spruce up being an MT also - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe not only will volunteering look great on a resume, but being an MT can be spruced up, too. If you exceeded line quotas, made production bonuses and achieved high QA scores as an MT, I think that shows you were not just "sitting and typing." I would look at those MT achievements as reflecting work ethic, dedication and time management skills, not just settling for "meeting minimums." Not always possible being an MT now, but if you did in the past, I would play up on it. Best wishes!

Some things to consider - RHIA

[ In Reply To ..]
Many students in HIM classes have no work experience at all. You have at least 15 years IN HIM itself.

Few applicants have as good a knowledge of the medical record as you do because of your MT. Emphasize this because it is valid work experience for record analysis, release of information, filing, etc. You are not INexperienced . . . you have quite a bit of relevant experience.

Are they going to recognize that by themselves? Probably not. You will need to point it out.

I suggest you list jobs with a brief, yet meaningful, description of duties. Not just "MT 15 yrs" but "Medical Transcription" with a statement that you transcribed clinical documetation, selected apppropriate formats and list major and even minor report types, describe the specialties you are familiar with, validated patient demographics, ensured privacy and met HIPAA requirements, maintained a secure computer system, etc.

Go through your textbooks and try to find other things you already have experience with. As you studied, you probably thought that you knew things already. Use them.

Do the same for your volunteer activities. Plain business, organizational, and leadership skills wil show up there.

At the top of your resume, some include a statement of what you are seeking. I would tie that in with your education. If the employer might not know the college, mention that it is AHIMA-accredited. If you have a good GPA, mention it

Is this an HIT or an HIA program? Tailor your resume to fit. I suggest that you avoid talking about wanting a management position just yet. Not even for the future. They may think that is presumptuous. Working in the trenches is not a bad thing for now. You want to gain experience.

I mentioned that last bit because the HIT interns we get are adamant that they are training for management. The last few have come right out and said they do not intend to work...they see themselves as managers of those who work. One of them looked around my office, clearly saw multiple degrees on the wall, clearly heard what I did and at what level, recognized that it was not even close to anything she studied, and informed me that she would be seeking a management position over worker bees like me. We have not hired anyone from that college in 10 years or more because of that.

I do not believe you would do that, but be aware that employers may have met these very young ladies. Make sure you look exactly the opposite.

great comments - thank you!

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm in the waiting line to get going on my HIM classes - just so I have those certificates that will help. I am a CMT and have a BA in teaching so yes, I'm educated -- have just been feeling so down not finding any good job yet. You guys have sure brightened my outlook today. Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. I don't mind being a worker bee as long as it pays the bills. I really need to get back among people I think - I feel like I can offer so much more than I have (of course - my whole reason for starting as an MT was to work from home while my daughters were young. My oldest is now in college and my youngest a Freshman in high school. I am so blessed I was able to be here for them this long, but I really feel I can offer more out in the "real world" again.
Thanks for helping me keep my chin up!

something to offer - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Congratulations on moving forward. I wish you the very best! I too took pride in being an MT, for about 10 years. Still doing it while in school. I also enjoy being around people again in the "real world." And while I always took pride in being an MT, I think I have more to offer in the "people department." Nothing wrong with branching out and seeing what more you CAN offer and ACHIEVE. Keep your positive attitude!

Similar Messages:

For Those Who Have Their Resume Posted On The Resume Bank
Sep 25, 2012

I received a couple of very suspicious emails from someone who sounded overseas.  Just a warning. ...

Volunteer Transcription-where Did The Ad Go?
Sep 20, 2010

Hi Folks.  Sent in a resume'.  Then went in to review the ad again and it is gone.  Does anyone remember what they were paying for the IC position?  How can I get to the original ad? ...

Volunteer Work
Jul 14, 2013

The thread on another board about letters to newspapers sparked an idea.  I am putting together a letter that I will initially be sending to HR.  My objective is to get, in writing, the rationale/justification behind not being compensated for the various daily tasks we are REQUIRED to do.  A few minutes here and there, throughout the day, every day, over days, weeks, months and years...well, that really adds up!.  If anyone is willing to take a moment to list those thing ...

Volunteer Transcription Out Of Tennessee?
Nov 02, 2009

Does anyone work for Volunteer Transcription out of Tennessee?  Is the workflow consistent?  ESLs?  QA issues?  Pay issues? Thanks for your input. ...

Anybody Ever Work For Volunteer Transcription?
Dec 01, 2009

I had sent my resume, tested, and received an e-mail back asking about when I would like to start working last week.  Time goes by and nothing.  I figured it was because we had the Turkey Day holiday.  I have sent followup e-mails and even called and left a couple of messages and still nada.  Anyone have any experience with Volunteer Transcription they would like to share? ...

Volunteer Transcription Good, Bad Or Otherwise
May 28, 2010

Just wondering if anyone can give me any details, good, bad or otherwise.  I searched the archives but found nothing.  TIA!  ...

Volunteer Transcription Job Openings
Sep 18, 2010

There are job openings on the job seekers board with Volunteer Transcription.  Anyone know anything about this company?  Also says pay is "biweekly."  Doesn't that mean twice a week?  Sounds like a typo.  ...

Since When Did MTing Become VOLUNTEER Work???
Nov 02, 2012

This field is PATHETIC. I once worked for TTD and every single payday, my check was either short or I did not receive it at all. When I questioned the owner about my pay, I was let go...simply asking for the money I made...A--- fired me. Come to find out a short time later that she had ditched every worker in the company...either shorting their pay or not paying them at all and above all, she even owed money to workers in INDIA as well. I thought this was just because TTD was sick company whose ...

Volunteer Transcription - Good Or Bad About This Company?
Jul 01, 2010

I have an opportunity to test and be hired by them but it seems it is taking them so long to get back to me for the next step.  Anyone else having this trouble.  Anyone know anything good or bad about this company? ...

Info Volunteer Transcription Out Of Tennessee
Aug 05, 2010

Can anyone who current works for or have worked for in the past give me any info on Volunteer Transcription out of Johnson City, Tennessee. Please feel free to E-mail me if you prefer. Any info would greatly be appreciated, in particular pay issues, work load, communication. They seem really nice, but I just got that "sinking feeling." TIA ...

For Those Who Need A Resume Or A Resume Facelift
Sep 04, 2013

I'm looking to get out of my job in a bad way and my resume was less than pretty. I ran across this site and it was awesome.  It's free to update your resume but charges to print or email, copy, etc.  But for a cover letter and resume was only $2.95 but will auto-renew at $34 if you don't cancel within 2 weeks.  But I did the trial period and got an awesome resume and fantastic cover letter. It's easy to use and fun. Hope this helps a little bit.  http:// ...

Resume In Resume Bank
Sep 24, 2014

Has anybody been contacted for a position by posting their resume in the resume bank? ...

Attention Employees... We Need Friday Hours. If You Do Not Volunteer,
Mar 19, 2010

Good thing I signed up for those Friday hours, only to get NJA.   What a bunch of Butt Face Jerks. ...

How To Resume?
Sep 07, 2010

Haven't written a resume in years. How do you write one if you have been at the same place for 11 years?  Isn't that as far back as they are looking for?  Appreciate tips. ...

Help With Resume
Mar 31, 2011

I am trying to get back out there but I need help with my resume which I absolutely hate doing.  Could someone please email me some suggestions.  I would like to try and get back into an office setting doing anything!  ...

I Am In Need Of Help With My Resume
Jun 29, 2011

Dear Fellow Transcriptionists: I am in need of a career counsler who specializes in resumes. I live in Chevy Chase, Maryland, which is outside of Washington, D.C. and I need someone to help me with my current resume so that it is current. I know that there must be a company who can help me who does not live in the D.C. area who can help me telecommuting. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you. Fondly, Suzie ...

OK ... I Did It, Just Sent My Resume
Mar 11, 2014

I read every line to all of the posts here for the last 24 hours, slept on the decision and thought a lot about it this morning.  Even in putting my resume together my hands were shaking ... not sure if it's the right decision or not.  But I'm trusting, trusting, trusting.  I feel like I've weighed every option and taken every scenario under consideration and my final decision is, I HAVE to make a move.  The days of transcription with this company are extremel ...

Just Sent Resume To
Mar 28, 2014

ad on mtdy, first ad on page (QMedET Solutions). does anyone have any info on them or are currently working for them? any info would be appreciated. tnx. ...

Question Regarding Resume
Nov 19, 2009

I have a question and maybe someone out there knows the answer.  I have a resume which I created on Word.  I would generally send it as an attachment to an e-mail; however, I'm finding that recruiters for some reason are requesting the resume be pasted into the e.mail.  If I do that, I lose my formatting on the resume and the text gets all messed up. Does anyone know of a solution?  I feel really dumb! Thanks!   ...

I Posted My Resume.......
Sep 29, 2010

.......and I keep getting emails asking what my specialties are. I posted all that and it's also in my resume. Makes me wonder if anyone actually reads a resume. ...

Resume On MT Stars
Apr 30, 2011

I put my resume on here and in the job wanted board.  I was wondering as more people put their resumes on and yours gets older and further down the list do you still get companies contacting you or should you put a new one on to move it back up the list.  I only put my resume on 2 days ago and got 3 contacts.  No bad MT Stars.  ...

Transcriptionist Resume Help
May 28, 2011

I get a lot of MTs asking me for help with resumes so I thought I would put this out for anyone who is interested. This link downloads a sample one-page MT resume to use as a guide: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20134076/Sample%20One%20Page%20MT%20Resume.docx This link shows this same resume with some tips added. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20134076/One%20Page%20MT%20Resume%20Tips.jpg Hope this helps someone.   ...

Would You Put On A Resume A Job You Only Kept For 15 Days?
Nov 30, 2011

x ...

Building A Resume
Apr 27, 2012

I recently applied for a coding position at a hospital.  The last line of the job listing said, "Motivated students with strong interest in coding may be considered."  In my resume, I explained what I was currently doing; taking the AAPC coding course, and in using directly quoted info from the AAPC website (below where it starts...."This course teaches"... and ends with ......"volume 3 procedure coding".   I am currently a student in the CPC-H® coding course administer ...

Now I Have A Question About Resume
Jun 30, 2012

I have had six radiology transcriptiion jobs in 25 years.  I had one on-site job for 10 years and the other 15 years at home.   I can easilly explain what my duties were when I was on site. It was in the 1980s when the equipment I used then seems ancient now and if the interviewer is young she probably would not even know what I am talking about. Anyway if I transcribed for five companies at home doing the same straight typing radiology reports do I really need to itemize wha ...

Need Resume Wording Help
Jan 31, 2013

I am trying to finish my resume because there is a job I am perfect for and want to apply. I am trying to find the right words to convey my skills at keeping straight so many different client profiles for so many different accounts. Ability to ____. I keep coming up blank. I know this is an important skill, to be accurate in formatting so many different ways. Attention to detail just doesn't cut it. Coordinate? Looking for words, any help appreciated. Also in filling out online appl ...

How Far Back Do You Go On Your Resume?sm
May 12, 2013

I'm applying for another MT job and have worked at the same company for almost 9 years. Do I really need to go back further than that? ...

And It Happened Again!! I Sent My Resume For A Job
Jun 21, 2013

that I most definitely qualify for with no word from them....lo and behold they have another ad this morning! :((( ...

I Should Know Before I Submit A Resume?
Nov 15, 2013

Something I should know before I submit a resume? ...

Putting MM On A Resume
Jan 13, 2014

I was hired at MM by acquisition.  My prior company is gone.  The 2 companies before that are gone, out of business.  Therefore, I have no "recent" references. On a job application, what info do you put down for MM address and phone number?  What about when they ask for your direct supervisor's name and phone number? I am afraid this is going to keep me from getting another job. ...