A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

starting salary for new coder with CCS - justme

Posted: Dec 19, 2010

Wondering if anyone can tell me what the starting salary might be for an inpatient coder with CCS with no coding experience but with 5+ years transcription experience (NYC/NJ area). 

I would like to know what the salary might be before I sign up for a course. 

Thanks! 

salaries - cj

[ In Reply To ..]
If you go to the AHIMA website, they have a salary survey that breaks things down by education, credential, type of facility/practice, years of experience, type of coding, geographical area, etc. It will really help you alot.

Similar Messages:

Informatics Salary Versus Coder Salary
Jan 15, 2013

Hello Everybody.  First, let me say I have gotten a lot of good advice from this board in the past few years.  I have been encouraged to go back to school, am currently enrolled in Andrews for coding, and am looking to the future to obtain a degree to further advance myself in the field. I am very strongly considering WGU's Informatics course. I think this will be a good fit for me, especially considering this program also includes many IT certifications and I have always been ...

Scribes - Starting Salary
Mar 30, 2010

I do medical transcription for a local specialty practice.  They are transitioning to EHR and gave notice to their MTs that they would be cutting back on their MT needs starting next week.  Today, the office mgr. called and asked if I would be interested in a Scribe position.  In short, I am.  The manager would like to learn my salary requirements.  I am thinking of asking to start at $10/hour.  Does that seem reasonable.  N.B. Idaho ranks 49/50 in per capita i ...

Anyone Want To Discuss Starting Salary/wages? Need To Know What To Look For...
May 04, 2010

I've been sending out resumes and cover letters as much as I can and reading lots of forums trying to get a feel for what to look for in a good company. Can the experienced MTs share their knowledge/wisdom on what to look for in a new employer? What is a good starting rate? What are some questions to ask of a potential employer? What should we stear clear of? I've been reading the company boards and find that there seem to be more negative responses/comments on so many companies, the ...

Question For Coders, What Is A Fair Starting Salary
May 21, 2014

I am so excited! I have an interview coming up in a few weeks and they wanted me to submit a salary requirement.  I am not credentialed yet, but hopefully will be this summer, and I don't have any on-the-job coding experience, but I have no idea what a fair starting salary requirement would be.  Help! :)  ...

MT Experience Helped Get A Job And Increased Starting Pay As Coder
May 12, 2015

I just wanted to post a word of encouragement to others looking for a coding job.  I'm currently working as an MT, studying coding at The Andrews School, passed my CPC exam in December and I just got my first job in coding.  Because of my MT experience, my new employer gave me "credit" for my MT experience and gave me a higher starting pay rate.  I haven't even finished my studies at Andrews yet.  The jobs are out there, and there are companies willing to hire new c ...

Question For Coder & Coder 2
Sep 28, 2013

When asked to code pulmonary nodule, with no other information, how can you tell the correct code?  Under nodule I see pulmonary, solitary 793.11, I see lung, solitary 793.11 & solitary, lung 518.89. I already know that the 518 one is correct but I have no idea why. ...

Anyone On Salary?
Jun 18, 2010

Just wondering if there is anyone who works from home and gets paid a salary from where they work? Basically, on their payrole and receive benefits and the same amount of money each week no matter how much or little work you have? ...

Salary Cut
Jul 11, 2011

I for one am going to check into partial unemployment, I guess they will pay me more either way.  I am really going to take a hit. ...

Salary
Aug 03, 2011

On my way out the door to interview for an in-house MT position. Is it appropriate to ask the person what the salary is for a hourly position? I have been told, you ask and you won't get the job for sure...Not sure how I feel about it or whether I should ask? I really need this job and don't want to blow it. Any advice is appreciated. ...

QA Salary
Aug 11, 2011

Hello,  I would like to know how much people are making for QA?   ...

Salary For Coders
Feb 02, 2010

What is the average hourly pay for coders?  How would you say the income compares with medical transcription.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for 14+ years, and looking into coding.  I actually used to do some light coding and billing years ago, but it was for a OB/GYN practice back in the day. ...

Annual Salary
Jun 08, 2010

I am currently making $34,000 a year as an MT.  I am a single mom raising 2 kids on my own.  I am curious if anyone is making more than that as an MT.  I want to set a goal for myself to make more in the range of $40,000 to $45,000.  Am I being unrealistic?  Can it be done? ...

Salary Class
Jun 16, 2010

on my pay it says salary class 40 what does that refer to? ...

Coding Salary
Nov 26, 2010

I currently work in an imaging facility doing transcription of MRI and ultrasounds.  I am training to be a coder to do the coding for my company also.  I am not sure what I need to be getting paid for this after I'm done.  I am not sure if I should ask for a pay raise based solely on the coding or if I include my transcription experience also.  Is there anyone out there who does both coding and transcription for the same company?  Any advice is greatly apprecia ...

Salary Question
Mar 31, 2011

I am currently making 42,000.00 a year in medical transcription.  Am I really going to make much more than that  if I get an AA degree in medical coding ?  I am wondering if school is a waste.  My daughter says that an entry level job for me will only pay in the 30's and if thats the case, I think I should stay with transcription.  I am 50 years old and just a bit scared of whats to come. ...

Transcend QA Salary
Apr 28, 2011

Anyone have an idea of the QA salary range at Transcend?  I'm an MT and have an opportunity to move to that position.... ...

Average Salary
Dec 15, 2011

On average, how much do you fellow MTs who work 40 hours week earn per week or month?   ...

Check Out This Salary In FL. S/m
Jul 06, 2012

I was looking for MT jobs in my state of FL.  I checked the salary info on 1 job.    The table below shows the estimated 2011 Employment Wage Statistics for individuals employed as Medical Transcriptionists in Brevard County. Rate Type / Statistical TypeEntry levelMeanExperienced Annual wage or salary $23,832 $30,638 $34,042 Hourly wage $11.46 $14.73 $16.36   I have 25+ years experience and I don't make $16/hour.  Last year w/out VR, ...

Googled CCO Amy's Salary
Aug 04, 2012

I thought I was prepared, but I was still shocked.  Man, must be really nice.  ...

Let's All Take The Salary Survey!
Sep 23, 2014

Help us help you?!!! http://emedia.advanceweb.com/HM?a=FtX7Cqsc3_Ni8SA9MKJcRXvnGHxKLJ2w-gjtS5kGaNU60bBhOG5mpqVsje_HhdD-fUrq ...

Nuance CEO Salary
Sep 25, 2014

I found this very interesting in regard to a study done that shows the American worker has no idea the disparity between his salary and his CEO's salary.  This is from the The Boston Globe on 04/28/2014:What does it take to become the most overpaid executive in Massachusetts? Or, more to the point, how much does it take?The answer is a little bit north of $29 million. That’s how much the Burlington speech recognition company Nuance Communications Inc. paid its chief executive, Paul ...

Just Saw A Salary Survey
Mar 22, 2015

On the Advance for HIM web site there is a salary survey from 2014. On the graph of average salaries, MTs were the lowest (even below billers) with average salary of just over 29,000. Coders made over 49,000. Pretty interesting ...

Salary For Supervisor Position
Sep 21, 2010

Does anyone have any idea what MQ pays the supervisors and how you go about applying for the position? ...

Providing Salary History
Feb 02, 2012

I am looking for work and notice some companies ask for a salary history.  I feel uncomfortable about this, not sure why, but I think it is to their advantage to know this info, not mine.  In my case, I worked for my last company for 5 years with one raise and the companies before that are ancient history.  How would one handle this.  I am not even sure if I have that info on some of my companies.  Why do they want this info? ...

Medical Coding Salary
Sep 13, 2012

I was thinking of finding a course to take medical coding and wanted an at-home position in this field.  Can someone please tell me an average pay that I would expect to make?  I tried looking online and everything says "it varies", so just a ball park figure would be great, so I can decide if I want to pursue that or something different.  TIA:) ...

Realistic Salary For A Newbie?
Nov 20, 2013

I see a lot of courses claiming that starting salary can be anywhere from $25-$40K per year. I used to work as a word processor years ago and I still type 80+wpm, so I think I'd be good at this job. So what is realistic to expect in the first year as far as salary? ...

Medical Transcriptionist Salary
Nov 12, 2014

I am not trying to sound discouraging, but when do I get this supposed 34,020 salary that it says on BLS website MTs are suppose to make. I graduated from my training in 2009 and have worked for 2 companies, niether of which has offered me anything close to that, and where do they get the $16.34 per hour figure from anyway? ...

AHIMA Salary Survey
Mar 29, 2015

See the AHIMA page below for a link to their 2012 salary survey, the latest one.  It includes coding salaries.  The national average was 49,222.   Their careers map is also on that page.  Very helpful so you can see where you can go from coding.     ...

Salary For Experiened Rad Transcriptionist
Apr 13, 2015

What do you feel is a "fair" salary for a Radiology transcriptionist that has at least 10 years experience? ...

Salary At Early 1990s Level
Jul 18, 2010

I have been with my current company for a number of years, but due to a number of changes that have been instituted in just the last few years, I have realized about a 37% reduction in income, at the same time that I am considered "one of their best," and am back to my income level of the early 1990s.  I see foreclosure looming.  That VR/SR has become the majority of the work is the largest factor in this drop.  Are there MTs who are working for companies with little or no VR ...