A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Annual salary - Julia

Posted: Jun 08, 2010

I am currently making $34,000 a year as an MT.  I am a single mom raising 2 kids on my own.  I am curious if anyone is making more than that as an MT.  I want to set a goal for myself to make more in the range of $40,000 to $45,000.  Am I being unrealistic?  Can it be done?

yes, but not sure for how much longer - memyselfandi

[ In Reply To ..]
From 2003-2008 I made between $50,000 and $60,000 each year. Last year I made just a little under $50,000. I have no idea what it will be this year, but I don't think I'll crack $50,000 again. Just the nature of the business these days I think, which means I am not a happy camper.

Almost all my non-MT friends are also making less every year - The economy stinks

[ In Reply To ..]
Everyone I know is having to cut back on expenses. Every year things cost more and people make less, no matter what you do for a living. The bad thing is when friends lose jobs and 2 years later still haven't found one. Is the whole country just hanging on by their (our) fingertips and hoping the economy will somehow improve? I don't have much confidence that it will, ever.

Where I live they have just laid off hundreds of teachers - It is bad everywhere for everyone

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure how the schools are going to operate because they have laid off so many.

IMHO, anything over $28K will be exceptional in the next - year or so. Hope I am wrong. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I am already there. Pay down 25-30% from years past. - sick and tired

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I work full-time and make almost 60K. --however no VR, - all straight transcription. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

That's nearly 28/hour! As an MT? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Most RNs would be overjoyed to make that working graveyard and/or weekends. How did you snag that gig?

She must be LIVING RIGHT! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]

I really got lucky. I left the Q 2-1/2 years ago and just - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
happened upon this job. Benefits are not that great, but they rarely run out of work, there is no turnover, flexible hours (as in we set our own schedule weekly) and we all have basically just 2 accounts, so you know your dictators very well.

60K??????? - pollyanna

[ In Reply To ..]
You must be getting 20 or 30 CPL! I've never heard of such an income in this industry! where do I apply?

Maybe she meant RUPEES..... nm - Rocky Raccoon

[ In Reply To ..]

I know MTs who make $60,000 but that is rare and I don't know any who make more than that - except those who have people working for them

[ In Reply To ..]
$60,000 isn't shocking. I've known more than a few MTs making that much. That's probably about the top though unless you have accounts and other MTs working for you. I may be wrong. There may be people making more than that, but $60,000 is about as high as I've personally seen.

I know a couple of MTs who make that kind of money, but they are - ICs with long-time accounts and they work very lon

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

salary - mtme

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for a big hospital, but I work at home. Between the benefits and the salary and the job itself, I do very well. I think 40 to 45 is possible depending on who you work for.

agreed - outthedoor

[ In Reply To ..]
I also work from home for a large hospital and make about $52K. While making $50-60K used to be very doable, the industry has changed and it's getting harder and harder to make a decent middle class living.

It was a realistic goal back in 1980-85. Now, in 2010, - a more realistic goal is unemployment benefits. n

[ In Reply To ..]
XX

I miss 1980 to late 1990s the good old days in MTing - StartrekMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Those days were the golden days for our profession. We were out of manual and selectric typewriters, but we were finally sent home late in the 80s and we went from Wordperfect and tapes to VDIs, then finally Lanier or C-phone and programs which would download demographics. We were worth our weight in gold in those days. Incentive always was more than possible and benefits were never ever thought to be lost! Job security was a certainty. Earning over 50K was a definite and you could afford to be "middle class" and have a nice car, home, even be the only breadwinner in the family. Then, with Y2K Transnet came along. This was good too, and getting voice off the net okay, but the warning from supervisors at the hospitals that speech recognition would make us "begging" to them made us half laugh, half worry. This was in early 2000. This attitude from a hospital supervisor who said prior we were worth our weight in gold was surprising and a turn of events. Since, the first service which was local here sent work to India (surprising to us, we did not believe it), then it went fast. The MTSOs to which the hospitals sent us no longer respected, communicated, and even paid for an honest day's work. Bill collectors did not understand. By 2008 bill collectors did and by last year we were nothing. No pay, no respect, speech recognition came and we were paid half when we should be paid double. Many of us lost our homes, our cars, respect for ourselves. Sorry such a long reply. I did not expect to go through it because we all know what happened. But you know what? When it was happening I thought I was the only one! This year is the first year I see we all are in it together and for that I am really sorry. Somehow it would be nice to turn back time and not only keep the respect but somehow let those who make decisions on patient care that our minds are what help the doctors keep the records accurate and the patient alive. We are forgotten. Thanks for listening to the trip down memory lane!

Unrealistic at MQ - anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Tier 3, 25 years experience, and I didn't break $30k last year. I cried. I have never worked so hard for so little, even when I worked as a teenager at a burger joint.

agreed - I work

[ In Reply To ..]
20 hours a week, and I made 10K last year.

You brought back bad memories for me this year - Not working as an MT

[ In Reply To ..]
It's the world we live in, unfortunately.

When I looked at what I made this year compared to what I made last year, which was less than the year before, which was less than the year before that, I thought about just sitting down and crying.

I didn't cry though because my friends are in worse shape. Some of them have had income and benefits cut drastically and other have lost their jobs entirely. I didn't sit down and cry for myself because compared to them I don't have anything to complain about. I sure don't like the fact that jobs are disappearing everywhere in our country. I know a few jobs (political) that deserve to be lost because of what they've done to the rest of us, across the board, in every segment of our economy. Now I think I will go cry after all.

Similar Messages:

Informatics Salary Versus Coder Salary
Jan 15, 2013

Hello Everybody.  First, let me say I have gotten a lot of good advice from this board in the past few years.  I have been encouraged to go back to school, am currently enrolled in Andrews for coding, and am looking to the future to obtain a degree to further advance myself in the field. I am very strongly considering WGU's Informatics course. I think this will be a good fit for me, especially considering this program also includes many IT certifications and I have always been ...

Annual Report
Aug 16, 2011

I noticed in the annual report they have 100 sales reps.  That is a waste of money for them on the payroll.  It seems they are supposed to generate more work.  That's a lot of people not doing their job, or when they do get new accounts I guess they go directly overseas. ...

Anybody Going To AHDI Annual?
Jul 22, 2014

x ...

Synernet Annual Bonus
Mar 13, 2014

With all the changes coming down the pike, I'm just wondering if the annual bonus has become extinct along with things like the 401K automatic 3% contribution.  I'm thinking it was about the first of March when they announced the annual bonus and this year not a peep.   If it was coming this year you would think they would announce it sooner than later; that would be a blip of positivity in the midst of all the current turmoil.  Maybe they figure a lot of people are ...

Interesting Things In The Annual Report To Shareholders.....
Dec 07, 2009

What I found of particular interest was on the first page (letter to shareholders) where it says that a shortage of domestic MTs is one of the reasons they need to offshore.  ???? To me this doesn't make sense if so many of their employees are saying they consistently have no work.  If there were such a shortage, no one would be complaining of this.    If you are curious as to the salaries and bonuses of the big whigs of this company, it's listed in this pamphlet. ...

Annual Raises Or Merit Raises?
Dec 03, 2014

Does any MTSO do this?  I mean, either an annual cost of living raise or a merit raise based on a regular annual review.  Or both. If none of the above, are you able to just ask your boss for a raise when you feel it's appropriate?  Does it work? ...

Anyone On Salary?
Jun 18, 2010

Just wondering if there is anyone who works from home and gets paid a salary from where they work? Basically, on their payrole and receive benefits and the same amount of money each week no matter how much or little work you have? ...

Salary Cut
Jul 11, 2011

I for one am going to check into partial unemployment, I guess they will pay me more either way.  I am really going to take a hit. ...

Salary
Aug 03, 2011

On my way out the door to interview for an in-house MT position. Is it appropriate to ask the person what the salary is for a hourly position? I have been told, you ask and you won't get the job for sure...Not sure how I feel about it or whether I should ask? I really need this job and don't want to blow it. Any advice is appreciated. ...

QA Salary
Aug 11, 2011

Hello,  I would like to know how much people are making for QA?   ...

Salary For Coders
Feb 02, 2010

What is the average hourly pay for coders?  How would you say the income compares with medical transcription.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for 14+ years, and looking into coding.  I actually used to do some light coding and billing years ago, but it was for a OB/GYN practice back in the day. ...

Salary Class
Jun 16, 2010

on my pay it says salary class 40 what does that refer to? ...

Coding Salary
Nov 26, 2010

I currently work in an imaging facility doing transcription of MRI and ultrasounds.  I am training to be a coder to do the coding for my company also.  I am not sure what I need to be getting paid for this after I'm done.  I am not sure if I should ask for a pay raise based solely on the coding or if I include my transcription experience also.  Is there anyone out there who does both coding and transcription for the same company?  Any advice is greatly apprecia ...

Salary Question
Mar 31, 2011

I am currently making 42,000.00 a year in medical transcription.  Am I really going to make much more than that  if I get an AA degree in medical coding ?  I am wondering if school is a waste.  My daughter says that an entry level job for me will only pay in the 30's and if thats the case, I think I should stay with transcription.  I am 50 years old and just a bit scared of whats to come. ...

Transcend QA Salary
Apr 28, 2011

Anyone have an idea of the QA salary range at Transcend?  I'm an MT and have an opportunity to move to that position.... ...

Average Salary
Dec 15, 2011

On average, how much do you fellow MTs who work 40 hours week earn per week or month?   ...

Check Out This Salary In FL. S/m
Jul 06, 2012

I was looking for MT jobs in my state of FL.  I checked the salary info on 1 job.    The table below shows the estimated 2011 Employment Wage Statistics for individuals employed as Medical Transcriptionists in Brevard County. Rate Type / Statistical TypeEntry levelMeanExperienced Annual wage or salary $23,832 $30,638 $34,042 Hourly wage $11.46 $14.73 $16.36   I have 25+ years experience and I don't make $16/hour.  Last year w/out VR, ...

Googled CCO Amy's Salary
Aug 04, 2012

I thought I was prepared, but I was still shocked.  Man, must be really nice.  ...

Let's All Take The Salary Survey!
Sep 23, 2014

Help us help you?!!! http://emedia.advanceweb.com/HM?a=FtX7Cqsc3_Ni8SA9MKJcRXvnGHxKLJ2w-gjtS5kGaNU60bBhOG5mpqVsje_HhdD-fUrq ...

Nuance CEO Salary
Sep 25, 2014

I found this very interesting in regard to a study done that shows the American worker has no idea the disparity between his salary and his CEO's salary.  This is from the The Boston Globe on 04/28/2014:What does it take to become the most overpaid executive in Massachusetts? Or, more to the point, how much does it take?The answer is a little bit north of $29 million. That’s how much the Burlington speech recognition company Nuance Communications Inc. paid its chief executive, Paul ...

Just Saw A Salary Survey
Mar 22, 2015

On the Advance for HIM web site there is a salary survey from 2014. On the graph of average salaries, MTs were the lowest (even below billers) with average salary of just over 29,000. Coders made over 49,000. Pretty interesting ...

Scribes - Starting Salary
Mar 30, 2010

I do medical transcription for a local specialty practice.  They are transitioning to EHR and gave notice to their MTs that they would be cutting back on their MT needs starting next week.  Today, the office mgr. called and asked if I would be interested in a Scribe position.  In short, I am.  The manager would like to learn my salary requirements.  I am thinking of asking to start at $10/hour.  Does that seem reasonable.  N.B. Idaho ranks 49/50 in per capita i ...

Salary For Supervisor Position
Sep 21, 2010

Does anyone have any idea what MQ pays the supervisors and how you go about applying for the position? ...

Starting Salary For New Coder With CCS
Dec 19, 2010

Wondering if anyone can tell me what the starting salary might be for an inpatient coder with CCS with no coding experience but with 5+ years transcription experience (NYC/NJ area).  I would like to know what the salary might be before I sign up for a course.  Thanks!  ...

Providing Salary History
Feb 02, 2012

I am looking for work and notice some companies ask for a salary history.  I feel uncomfortable about this, not sure why, but I think it is to their advantage to know this info, not mine.  In my case, I worked for my last company for 5 years with one raise and the companies before that are ancient history.  How would one handle this.  I am not even sure if I have that info on some of my companies.  Why do they want this info? ...

Medical Coding Salary
Sep 13, 2012

I was thinking of finding a course to take medical coding and wanted an at-home position in this field.  Can someone please tell me an average pay that I would expect to make?  I tried looking online and everything says "it varies", so just a ball park figure would be great, so I can decide if I want to pursue that or something different.  TIA:) ...

Realistic Salary For A Newbie?
Nov 20, 2013

I see a lot of courses claiming that starting salary can be anywhere from $25-$40K per year. I used to work as a word processor years ago and I still type 80+wpm, so I think I'd be good at this job. So what is realistic to expect in the first year as far as salary? ...

Medical Transcriptionist Salary
Nov 12, 2014

I am not trying to sound discouraging, but when do I get this supposed 34,020 salary that it says on BLS website MTs are suppose to make. I graduated from my training in 2009 and have worked for 2 companies, niether of which has offered me anything close to that, and where do they get the $16.34 per hour figure from anyway? ...

AHIMA Salary Survey
Mar 29, 2015

See the AHIMA page below for a link to their 2012 salary survey, the latest one.  It includes coding salaries.  The national average was 49,222.   Their careers map is also on that page.  Very helpful so you can see where you can go from coding.     ...

Salary For Experiened Rad Transcriptionist
Apr 13, 2015

What do you feel is a "fair" salary for a Radiology transcriptionist that has at least 10 years experience? ...