A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Please mention our plight to doctors on visits! - Rose

Posted: Sep 05, 2013

I seriously doubt that the dictators we edit know who or what is doing the work, or if any editing is required.  Since doctors stay in such closed groups, posting on their sites only gets deleted. It's important that they know we are being paid less than any other profession in the world.  Is that how important their patient's records are to them?  Self supporting experienced MEs are losing their home and joining the homeless.  Do these dictators want to have to learn how to really dictate so that newbies can understand them?  Of course not. 

We really need to make them aware.

When my doc asked why I quit all my meds... - Jesse

[ In Reply To ..]
I only force myself to buy the antidepressant because without it having to live this life of poverty, I would no longer be here if I had to go off that one. Meds for hypertension and heart disease I just can't afford. In fact I was scheduled to have my electricity shut off a week ago because I could not pay on time, which would have put me out of work for the measly salary I do make. Doctors really need to know what we continue to be put through. I assume a few of them must have a heart to want to become doctors.

doctors - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
What do you want them to do, subsidize you? Adopt you? You CHOSE this profession, MT. If it's not working for you anymore, then it's time to make some new CHOICES.

Do you deserve to be underpaid and under-appreciated? NO! But it IS the reality and all this "we have to make them listen" stuff is just a waste of air and energy. This tsunami is here, you still have time to run for your life or just give up but screaming for someone to stop the water is no longer an option.

I sadly agree. The horse has long since left the - Grumpy

[ In Reply To ..]
stable and calling him back is virtually impossible.

I wonder how many clinics have adopted point and click now? I bet it's a great number, and those jobs alone aren't probably going to return for MTs.

This is in response to the condescending rudess (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
Statements like these:

"What do you want them to do, subsidize you? Adopt you?"

"ROTFL"

"Rose, honey ..... "

Please, go feed the negative comments to someone who deserves it, not the hard working, people who are just trying to survive. Many of us are self supporting and certainly do NOT make enough money to go back to school like those of you who are subsidized or supported by others, in which case you have no idea what it is like to not be able to afford heart medication or pay your electric bill so you can keep working. Some of us, due to age and/or disabilities are not able to return to school. So for those who entertain themselves with mob mentality, I wish you would go play on a game site rather than pollute a professional forum. It's fine to disagree. It's not fine to bully.
Rose honey - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure who said "Rose, honey" but it wasn't me. The other questions weren't rude they were honest. WHAT DO YOU WANT THEM TO DO?

Should every worker who is currently employed go to their physician and say- Hey, I can't feed my family so you must make it better? Should everyone who is under-employed go to their boss and demand to be taken care of?

I 1000% GET that people are struggling (and since you have no idea about my current situation we'll just leave that alone). But continual efforts to make some "other" accountable for fixing your life, your CHOICES is just insanity.

Firehose all you want (I can't because X, Y, Z, D, A, F) but the situation isnt changing. Petitions and foot stomping and yelling at me because you think my particular response was rude will not fill your refrigerator.

BTW, I don't play on game sites, I'm too busy trying to make a living. I do frequent professional sites tho because I'm well, a professional.

Sorry if you didn't get the pity party you were looking for but pity wont improve your life in ANY way. Get busy finding a way to make a living and stop whining on anonymous forums thinking it will change your plight.
excellent post - What is wrong with this whole board is
[ In Reply To ..]
rampant condescending rudeness. I have never seen anything like it. Many of us are in desperate situations. The original post often starts out good, but then the replies generally degenerate into sarcastic fights.
Thank you. Not sure why admin allows all this. - Rose
[ In Reply To ..]

But Grumpy, think about this. - Citizen MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Industry after industry has left this country. We are experiencing wholesale economic collapse because of this. We cannot, as a country, compete against slave labor, indeed we will eventually experience total devastation of every sector of our economy if this continues. We are in great peril, especially where national defense is concerned! Perhaps we MTs can and should move on, for now, but because of what we are now facing, as many others have experienced, we are aware of the problem, we should be concerned, even alarmed. We need to hold our elected representatives' feet to the fire about this, we need to demand that a stop be put to this, especially jobs like ours which are primarily funded by the US Taxpayer.

Advise the docs that out of the .15-24 cents per line they pay the service, we get only .04 cents (s - Sandy

[ In Reply To ..]
One third our line rate of 20 years ago!

Been there - old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
As a person who ran a small MTSO a few years back, I was not getting .15 -.24 cents per line. I was lucky if I could bid and win with .12 a line. I paid my MT's .08 and kept .04, but that barely paid the bills to keep the business open with very little going into my pockets.

Main reason I closed my business and started transcribing for my own paycheck.

Story - Till the bitter end

[ In Reply To ..]
I had the greatest bunch of docs for over 15 years. I was paid 11 cents a line for typing, proofreading, and editing everything myself. They were very appreciative of the quality and turnaround time. One day a big MTSO made a deal with the hospital that these docs work for. The docs said they had no input and had to go along with it. I stayed in touch with a couple of them. The first two weeks were great because the work was being done by US transcriptionists. Then, without notice, everything was shipped to India. The quality of the reports immediately went downhill. The docs were complaining but didn't have time to do anything about it. This went on for over a year. They either had to send the reports back to be corrected or correct the reports themselves. Then the hospital the docs are affiliated with decides every physician is required to use Dragon. This goes on for a few months. The quality is a little bit better, but certainly not good. The docs are still having to edit their own work, which takes time away from seeing patients. One of the docs called last week and was pretty well fed up with it. I now have the chance to get that account back, which is good, but I know it is just a matter of time before the hospital comes out with a new rule for dictation and I'll probably be let go again. This has happened quite a few times in my career. In my case it's hospital administration, not the individual physician, who decides how transcription is handled. Administration makes these decisions without any thought as to what the doctors want or need. In this case the hospital probably actually paid more money for inferior work. We are required to have 98% -- some now 99% -- accuracy. This rule does not apply to India. For some reason the hospitals go with the MTSOs even though it costs them more and they get crappy work in return. I will never understand it. I tell the docs I work for all the time how bad these companies really are. Some don't care as they have bigger fish to fry, but some actually do. I've found they are the ones who care about quality and covering their butts in case they ever have to go to court. Here in the US we have strict rules we have to abide by. The same should be true of the foreign countries that the MTSOs are making a killing off of.

San, let me ask you this. When you see your doctor bill - do you care how much goes to

[ In Reply To ..]
supplies, electric bill, office help, office equipment, his salary, and so on and so forth?

Why would he care about the dishing out of transcription pay? He's obviously satisfied with what he's paying for it? The rest is seen and taken as 'not my business to know let alone meddle in.'

Common sense says his first thought will be - you need to take that up with your supervisor. Not - Oh, hey, let me fight for you so I pay more on the next contract.

hello.

You have completely missed the point. - Sandy

[ In Reply To ..]
Doctor's visits cost nearly 10 times what they cost 30 years ago. This is because there are idiot who can't count beans correctly, i.e. paying up to .24 cents per line to an MTSO for editing. Where on earth did you get the idea that doctors should pay more for transcription?? They should pay less by paying us more. I hope that last line (the point) didn't confuse you.
MY point is - whine about our jobs - they don't care. - period. and yes, to them, its whining. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
what are they going to do? Write the president? Stop seeing patients? Hire you, quit using electronic records and not get paid for medicare patients from gov't? Put signs in their office windows.........?

(sigh) A G A I N ... Pay the MT .08 CPL to edit, not the MTSO more than twice that much. Very simpl - Rose
[ In Reply To ..]
Not everyone wants to get their own accounts and set the whole thing up. docs - certainly know nothing about it.
[ In Reply To ..]
wouldn't it be W O N D E R F U L to do without the middle man? Think it hasn't been through of...dreamed about for years? (SIGH)

Takes more than raising your hand and saying here I am, I'll do it. Got an IT support person? A lawyer to draw up your contracts? Liability insurance? Equipment? And if it involves extra MTs, as what if you just can't work a day here and there, well now you're talking business license, business taxes on top of personal taxes, unemployment insurance, SS payments, employees or BAs in keeping with ever changing laws and regulations, HIPAA, an accountant...uh...well geeze, now you're an MTSO!

eww (shudder)...not for me, but give it a try - simple as that. Do report back, I'd like to hear about how it goes.

ROTFL - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you think a doctor really cares about WHO is doing his work? Do you think he isn't trying to figure out how to keep his practice open, meet regs, keep his staff paid? Do you think that point and click he carries around just mysteriously showed up in his hands?

Doctors are stupid. They are fully aware of the fact that transcription costs them money. Period. If it can cost them less money, they'd be happy and if not exactly happy, resigned to knowing that things are changing and the MT is becoming obsolete.

Seriously time to stop trying to turn the clock back and figure out how to stay employed in MT or some other field.

do doctors care - not in the least. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
mine is so busy trying to figure out what she needs to click next, she no longer even listens to my medical problems, or remembers them from visit to visit.

Rose, honey (the original) - docs have way bigger fish to fry with all - the healthcare changes that

[ In Reply To ..]
effect them directly in a BIG money type of way. Much like facility/hopsital janitors, dietitians, nurses, office clsrks - we're not their problem. Naive to think they care, let alone in a position to do anything about it.

What do you want them to do? - MT Headed

[ In Reply To ..]
May of those doctors belong to the hospital boards/committees who voted to have their work outsourced. Realistically, they all did it for the same reason, to save money. The docs I know and work for might care on some level, but as long as the work gets done, they don't want to be involved.
For physicians, what happens with transcription is pretty low on their "to do" list. I'm not saying that's right, but that is how it is. I see none of them willing to get involved in disputes with MTSOs or facility administration regarding employee salaries. Editing is here to stay, unfortunately, with the EMR deadline quickly approaching. I think someone here said in another post, "that ship sailed." Sorry, but I agree.

Similar Messages:

The Plight Of American Medical Transcriptionists
Sep 20, 2014

If you thought the plight of the American medical transcriptionists would be heard on a national level, what would you say? Would your biggest complaint be the pay cut? The offshoring of medical records? The emotional abuse we have all endured? All of the above? If we truly thought our voices would be heard, what would we say? Thank you in advance for your responses. ...

Hyphen Dictated:  the Wound Care Required Every Other Week Visits
Sep 04, 2013

dictated:  the wound care required every other week visits. Would it be as typed above?  Or stick some hyphens in there for every-other-week visits. This is a narrative report and I have to do it verbatim, cannot reword it. Thanks for any input. ...

And I Forgot To Mention
Aug 21, 2010

most of the "helpful service" people have Indian sounding names, but have been "assured" the work is not being outsourced.  I get so worked up I forget the point of my messages!  ...

No Mention Of Christmas
Dec 23, 2013

How cheap can a company be to not send their employees even a Christmas card or a FREE e-mail card for Christmas.  This company is so heartless!!! ...

Posters Mention The Big 2 Companies. What Big 2 ?
Dec 12, 2012

I may be out of the loop.  I know that the big Canadian A (eh?) gobbled up a lot of USA companies, then gobbled up MM, then the big A  got gobbled up by the N.  And now I thought we are all the N.  Is there another big company ? ...

I'm A Little Puzzled By The Accentus Ad. They Mention Sm
Mar 22, 2013

the STAR team and such, but as a part of Nuance, I thought everything would be assimilated and such distinctions would be gone. I worked part time at Accentus for about 5 minutes but the STAR team did sound intriguing, as in maybe there would be a chance to make some money. I looked at the Nuance board but didn't really get any clues. ...

Surprised There's No Mention On This Board
Aug 23, 2014

of the millions of medical records that were hacked into by Chinese hackers: "A group of sophisticated Chinese hackers, known for its high-stakes corporate espionage has a history of stealing medical-device blueprints, prescription-drug formulas and other valuable intellectual property from large health-care companies." http://bloom.bg/1sQpVdV In the article, it mentions a Franklin, Tennessee company.   ...

On The Probity Site They Make No Mention That
Dec 19, 2013

they are now Nuance.  On their testimonial page, Kelly says - And my job isn't going to India.  I wonder what her testimony is now.  When I think of Nuance I think of the Star Trek Borg.  Unemotional mechanical perfection is the Borg's only motivation.  Well, I guess they can't really be called the Borg because Nuance's motivation seems to be greed.  I wish they would put what I think of them on their testimony page.  ...

2012 MT Of The Year Forgot To Mention That She Was Taxed
May 23, 2013

x ...

Current Job Postings Still Mention Quarterly Bonus
Dec 30, 2014

only some accounts move to this new exciting pay grid junk? ...

Even If Nuance Were To Announce A Raise, The Part They Fail To Mention Is That
Nov 04, 2014

Contracts are renegotiated regularly, so even if you were on an account that did not permit offshoring at any point in the past, you will sign in one day and discover WTs missing that you used to type and can watch whole blocks of reports disappear from your queue.  Nuance's survival depends upon this, and they don't care diddly squat about yours. So, dream on...and on...and on about line rates, bonuses being easier to get because of less nitpicking, etc., it isn't going to ...

"There Was A Time When Doctors Were Doctors" By James Ong
May 06, 2014

From the KevinPho MD site:   There was a time when doctors were doctors. There was a time when young men and women sacrificed the best years of their youth, learning to treat patients and conquer diseases, not to become typists, paper pushers, data-entry clerks, or to have hospitals, insurance companies, and the federal government dictate to us how to practice medicine.   There was a time when doctors were trusted. There was a time when we were not guilty until proven ot ...

Doctors Who Cut Themselves Off
Feb 05, 2010

Doesn't it drive you nuts when a doctor consistently cuts himself off when he dictates?  I sometimes get half words, the last couple letters of words, places where I haves to leave blanks because they say something like:  EKG showed (silence) rhythm.  What kind of regular?  Regular rate and....?  Arrrrggggghhhh! Sorry.  Needed to vent.  I make sure to send a note that dictation cuts out.  What I really want to say is the doctor dictates like an idio ...

Is It Just Me, Or Do A Lot Of Doctors Have The
Feb 16, 2011

I have heard Indiana Jones, however.  ...

Pig Doctors
Feb 16, 2014

I dispise doctors who not only eat while dictating, but eat with their mouths right up to the phone, openly smacking loudly - smack-smack-smack.  What disgusting pigs!  I hate them! They obviously aren't taught any table manners where they come from. ...

Anyone Know? Are Doctors And NP Or Anyone
Aug 15, 2014

encounters, are they required to have a short course on proper dictation procedure? I would think, being that this medical record is sooo freaking important that we are drawn and quartered if not perfect, that these professionals who generate these reports would also be schooled about proper pronunciation, enunciation, etc. before they throw it out there for us to perfect. Getting kind of sick of these lazy, mush-mouthed, slurred, rapid and mispronounced dictations. ...

Some Of These Doctors
Sep 24, 2014

Should have their right to dictate revoked. What a looong day ...

TTD, Inc. (The Transcription Doctors, Inc.)
Oct 25, 2009

If anyone knows any kind of info at all for this company I would love to hear from you. I am supposed to be talking to someone tomorrow from this company and I would love to know if they are legit. Thanks so much! ...

Inconsiderate Doctors
Nov 03, 2009

Why is it the doctors cannot give you the information you need in the order you need it.  They all know the standards and they will sure raise hell if we deviate.  Would it be too much to ask for just a little consideration in this regard so we are not constantly jumping all over the place?  I mean, heck, their God, God can do anything. ...

Transcription Doctors Inc.
Jan 20, 2010

Has anyone worked with this company before, not seen much posted for them, is that good or bad? ...

The Transcription Doctors
Feb 20, 2010

I can't find a dang thing in the archives about this company.  HELP.  Thanks everyone. ...

Transcription Doctors TTD
Feb 21, 2010

To the poster who posted below looking for information on TTD.  They don't have their own accounts.  They work for Superior Global and maybe others.  Superior pays them to find ICs.  They probably pay them 4 cpl and then TTD pays you a cruddy 3 cpl to edit VR reports.  They don't offer direct deposit because Superior is paying them and then they pay you, which is why you have to wait a month for your check.   I would never work for a company that is just bascially an agency hir ...

The Transcription Doctors TTD
Jun 29, 2010

I accidentally posted this on the main board too so sorry for the repeat post. I saw a post here that TTD was a bad company to work for. I recently graduated form CS and I have been looking for a job for the past 2 weeks. TTD offered me a job without doing any testing and I thought that was odd. I really want to gain experience since but I don't want to work for a horrible place. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ...

The Transcription Doctors - TTD
Jun 29, 2010

I have gone through the past several months and I saw one post about The Transcription Doctors being a bad company to work for. I was wondering if anyone has had a good experience or if they are all still bad comments. I just recently graduated from CS and I have been looking for jobs for a while. I was offered the job at TTD without doing any testing and I just thought it was odd. I just want to gain experience but Im nervous to work there after what I have read. Any input would be greatl ...

TTD - The Transcription Doctors
Apr 15, 2010

My recommendation is to have any MT who feels her time is valuable to Stay very far away from this company. I am going to be very careful in how I word this.  Company did not pay me correctly.  Our line counts did not match.  Experienced problems with line count accuracy early in employment.  Kept accurate records of line counts (their counts and my counts).  Was only paid 1/10th of first invoice.  Inquired about issue several times, and only when I sent an email to ...

Student Doctors!
Nov 04, 2010

Why, oh why, oh why can't the students hit the PAUSE button when they are dictating to gather their thoughts?  Why must I sit through listening to page turning, and "thinking" noises?  Meanwhile, time is money in this job ... and I really am getting tired of this!  My main account is a large teaching hospital, and so I get alot of students, residents, fellows ... etc.  <grrrrrrrrr> OK .. I feel better now that I just vented!  :) ...

W2 From Transcription Doctors?
Feb 05, 2011

I was an IC for TTD for about 6 months.  Has anyone gotten their W2 from them yet? (the one in California).  Thanks! ...

Transcription Doctors -How Often Is Pay?
Feb 18, 2011

Do you have to work a month before getting your first check at Transcription Doctors? How frequently do they pay?  Do they offer direct deposit?  Thanks ...

Addressing Two Doctors
Feb 21, 2011

In the salutation would it be Dear Dr. Smith and Dr. Jones?  Or would it be Dear Doctors Smith and Jones?  ...

I Think The Q Should Be Educating All The Doctors
Mar 24, 2011

that they are dictating for ASR and how to do it, punctuation and all. They need to take some responsibility for this. If they would dictate for ASR, ASR output would likely be better. I base this on the doctors who do dictate everything, including punctuation and the fact the output is good for this doctors. Although, these doctors do tend to speak in a more understandable manner. I spend too much time stopping to punctuate, and I shouldn't need to. ...