A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Something noticed on the Job Wanted Board, - and I hope some of you post - sm

Posted: May 04, 2010

your job-hunting results.  There are a lot of people with 10-20+ years' experience seeking work.  I'm in the same boat.  My experience so far has been that NOBODY is interested in hiring older, highly-experienced MTs.  Any of you starting to feel that vibe?

So I'd be interested to know what sort of results you get from the Jobs Wanted board.  When you truthfully state your many years of experience, are you getting any offers?  Are they willing to compensate you for your experience? 

I just have this sinking feeling those of us who know the ropes are being SHUT OUT of the MT industry, if for no other reason than -- we all know it used to be better.

What do all of you think on the subject?

I'm "old" - Lotsa jobs

[ In Reply To ..]
and I get offers on just about every job I apply to. I have nearly 40 years experience.

The difference might be your thinking that you get compensated for experience. Why is that? Someone who is a fine MT with 6 years experience is worth less than a fine MT with 26? I don't agree with that.

This isn't a "seniority" job, never has been.

I've found that if I want to stayed employed as an MT I have to realize that wages are what they are. I can demand I'm worth more till the cows come home but that doesn't put food on the table.

My feeling is if you're a long-time MT who thinks the years of experience are worth more or will have employers running to your door, you might just be incredibly saddened.

We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto. The old days are gone. (And yes this gives me minor freak outs!)

Me, too. Only 2 times ever have I not received an offer - when I have applied.

[ In Reply To ..]
I think the OP and others sometimes think that what they see/read on the board is how it is for everyone and speaks for the entire MT industry. Not so.

One Way That Experience Does Work For An MT - If We Are As Good As We Think

[ In Reply To ..]
If we truly are as good as we think we are after doing MT for dozens of years, we are obviously better and faster. We don't have to stop and look up as many terms. We know the reports inside and out. We are just faster and better.
And As We All Know - Not All Experience is Good Experience - Not all experiened MTs good
[ In Reply To ..]
It depends on the person. Just because someone has 26 years of MT experience doesn't mean they know how to transcribe. Maybe they worked for one company or one kind of specialty. Being experienced isn't the whole picture.
I see jobs on this board every day asking for MTs for - 1 specialty. You would think that -sm
[ In Reply To ..]
they would WANT an MT who has done that specialty for 20 years.

And it's not about being OVER compensated for seniority. It's about being FAIRLY compensated for what we know.

And of course we don't know it all. We never will. I know I sure won't. But one thing's for sure, I've also learned a huckuva lot about HOW TO RESEARCH. There are all kinds of tricks to speed up the search for drug, instrument, procedure, doctor name, etc. There is also a gut feeling you acquire after years in the business when something in the report doesn't add up. Sometimes it's not even directly obvious. But the times when I've asked a doctor to take a 2nd look because something seemed off, I've almost always been right.

When you do a client and its doctors for a long enough period of time, you get so you know them inside and out. It saves a lot of mistakes.

All of those things you can't learn in school, you have to learn by experience.
MTSOs are paid on production and the way senior MTs make more is by being more productive - My Opiion
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not an MTSO, but if I were, I would be getting paid by the numbers of lines the MTs who work for me produce. The newer ones don't make as much, and they shouldn't. The more senior MTs make more because they are more productive. That's really all there is to it.

The fact that you are smarter because you've been around, and not everyone who says they are smarter really turn out to be as smart as they think they are, just makes you able to make more money because you can produce more. It's a business based on production.
Interested in tricks to speed up research....sm - blondie
[ In Reply To ..]
I have to do a lot of research at my new job as it has a lot of operative reports and I haven't done a whole lot of those. I have a lot of resources and websites, but if you know some tricks to decrease time spent on looking and searching, please do share.
The internet has helped me the most. You cant rely - on what you find to always be correct, but - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
you can often speed up the process of looking in your word books for a word by Googling it first. Especially when you're really unsure of the spelling of a word, or even the letter it starts with, that makes looking it up in your references slow-going.

Often I'll type part of the sentence, leaving an asterisk where the doubtful word is. For example, if I'd never heard of a Foley catheter before, and the doctor mumbled it and it sounded like "Fooey" or "Poley", I could type, "5-French * catheter inserted" into Google. Sometimes you get lucky and the answer pops up right in front of you, other times, you have to look further down the page, or on the next few pages. But when you finally have found the word "Foley", but you're still not sure of the spelling, you can then double-check it in the book. Which of course takes a lot less time when you now know the word starts with an F.

I often highlight or underline words I've located in my references. Often if I don't hear the word again soon, I forget about it, and have to look it up again. That makes it easier to find.

Also, there are some words, or combinations of letters and numbers, that I just can't remember - I have a block against them or something. I save myself a lot of grief by adding it to my auto spell check in Word, so I don't have to look it up every time it comes around.

If I've hit a blank in a report that I'm just NOT hearing, I leave a blank and continue on with the report. Sometimes I get lucky, and further down in the report, the doctor says it again, this time more clearly. Or he might spell it. Other times, by the time I get to the end of the report, my ear has tuned in a fraction more to the doctors speaking patterns, and sometimes I can go back to it and hear it clearly later on.

There is one small advantage to being on your own at home and having to look words up, rather than ask someone to come listen for you. If someone just tells you the word, you're a lot less likely to remember how to spell it in the future, than you are if you had to look extensively through your references to find it.

I also use Google frequently for zip codes. "Back in the day", we used to have a single zip code directory in the office where I worked. Once at home, I started looking on a zip code website. Now that there is Google maps, I can get the zip in just a few seconds by typing in the street address. Or, I can double check the spelling of a street name that a doctor mispronounced or misspelled, and which I have a hunch is spelled differently.
Have They Provided You With Any Sample Reports? - Linda Andrews
[ In Reply To ..]
You've probably already asked, but would your employer provide you with some sample reports from some of the doctors you are transcribing?
Add every word you look up to an expander immediately - Good Luck
[ In Reply To ..]

Blondie:

If you have an expander such as ShortHand or SpeedType, add word lists into the expander.  There are several sites that have lists of words depending on specialty.  I copy the list into the expander and name it by specialty.  For example, if you are not used to GI words, you can simply bring up the “GI Words” expander entry, and quickly scan down the list to see if any word pops out at you.  That way, you do not even have to leave your file to go do a Goggle search or open another window. 

One tip that is important - you will be working for years and years (hopefully) - just because it may be an unusual term, disease, or instrument, the chances are you will run across it again (I have been doing this for almost 40 years.  If you do Acute Care reports, for every Admission Note, there is a Discharge Summary, and possibly Consultation , Operative Report.  If you do Clinic reports, for every first visit, there are follow-up visits, letters, etc.  Believe me, a diagnosis, medication, or treatment that it took you 5 minutes to find today and you did not document will come back to haunt you a week later when you get the same patient with the same diagnosis or medication, and the dictator still cannot pronounce it correctly.)

If you do not find what you are searching for in the first or second place you look, when you finally find it, be sure to add it to your expander list under that specialty.  The word is right there in front of you, and it only takes a few seconds to copy and paste it into your expander. 

Everyone knows that it is time consuming to build an expander, but that is how you get fast later on.  Stedman’s Electronic Dictionary claims to have over 170,000 terms.  You type millions of words a year.  If you take the time today to add any new terms to a list in your expander, in a matter of months, you will have run across the majority of common terms.  The less time you spend Goggling, the more lines you will be able to type or even edit. 

Hope this helps. 

Exactly! Job offers and pay should be based on years of exp. AND - LoriMT
[ In Reply To ..]
how well the MT did on the pre-employment testing, but that isn't the case. The fact is MTSOs do not want to pay the experienced MT what he/she is worth regardless of how well she did on the test. I have 20 years experience in MT, started out in a teaching hospital with many, many, MANY ESLs and lots of different specialities, experimental procedures, etc. Now, I rarely have to look anything up and when I do have to it takes me less than a minute to find the answer. I always make 98% or better on my QA score and I'm productive.

Having said all that, I have tested with companies to simply find some IC work. I've been told I've aced tests and when it came down to offer time, I've been offered 7 to 8 cpl or 3 cpl for VR which is completely ridiculous for a 20 year vet who aced the test!

Thank God my primary job is directly for a hospital and making an hourly wage plus incentive because I would be totally disatisfied and totally freaking out right about now about job prospects and bills.

I definitely think the more experienced MT is being shut out for the newbie who will accept 7 cpl for crappy work. I've said it before. We're in a sinking ship and it's time to head for the life boats. Right now I have relative job security and while I do, I'm going back to school.
Experience does not equal "good" - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
First off, this is not aimed at you. You are probably a very good MT. But I do disagree that pay should be based on years of experience. There are some really crappy MTs out there with many years of experience, and many very good ones with less experience. The type of experience can vary so much and the person's innate ability to do this job can vary so much that experience does NOT equal "good," once you get beyond about the 3 year mark, which is about the minimum necessary to learn the ropes. I do agree with you, though, that no good MT should accept 7 cpl. That's ridiculous.
That's why I said job offers should be based on experience AND premployment testing. - LoriMT
[ In Reply To ..]
If one does well on the testing and has years and years of experience, she/he should be compsensated for both the testing score and years of experience.

While someone with 3 years and someone with 20 years experience can do equally well on the same test, the one with 20 years experience probably has a better grasp on formatting, report types, different transcription platforms and softwares, larger medical vocabulary, more experience with ESLs and experience with a wider variety of dialects and accents which makes her immenently more valuable employee and she should be compensated accordingly.

There will always be good and bad new MTs and good and bad old MTs which is why testing is in place and most MTSOs have an orientation period. There is a weeding process in every profession, but you cannot simply discount experience as a criterion that just silly because statistically the majority of experienced MTs are good MTs. You cannot say the majority of new graduates are good MTs.

Also there is a much bigger learning curve in MT that reaches far beyond the 3 year mark. When I was a newbie with 3 years under my belt, I had barely scratched the surface of what medical transcription was all about.

Job offers/salaries should be based upon more than one criterion especially since there are so many facets to medical transcription.
Devil's Advocate - New but fast
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't hit me. I'm just throwing some stuff out there.

It's always possible that MTs with many, many years of experience are viewed as intractable and set in their ways. They may also be good, but that doesn't mean they're fast and in today's production environment speed counts for a lot.

I had a very similar conversation a number of months ago with someone on the board here. Yes, experience should count for something, but should it count for a dramatic increase in pay over someone else? Not necessarily.

I worked in-house for 4 of the longest freaking months of my life about a year and a half ago. I was paid a substantial amount less than the other three women I worked with because I was fairly new and they had been doing this for 20+ years. I was totally okay with that when I was hired, because I was in the same mind frame - experience should pay more. Then I got there and immediately started producing dramatically more than two of them and keeping neck and neck with the third. They are fabulous women and were very helpful, but at that point, since I was producing as much or more than they were with the same percentage of accuracy, I thought the inequity in pay was a little much.

They were also fairly intractable in their mind set and their ways of thinking about how things should be done, not to mention not computer literate at all. In today's market you have to be as flexible as someone from Cirque du Soleil and you have to be very comfortable with computers. I'm not saying you have to be an IT tech, but you have to know your way around it.

It's not all about just typing any more.
So tell me, though. As a new MT making 7 cpl, does - your local supermarket give you a "deal"?
[ In Reply To ..]
Does your local Walmart have a special "MT discount"? Do you pay less for gas than your next-door neighbor who happens to make a 6-figure salary sitting in his corporate top-floor corner office, playing video games and delegating the work to everyone else? If not, then you should take a look at where this business is headed. You may think 7cpl is good now. But what about 5, 10 years from now? You can only type SO fast, for SO many hours a day. There is a limit. Then what? Especially if, according to how it's all be going down the LAST 10 years, your wages not only do NOT go up, but continue to go DOWN? If you're working 12-16 hours a day just to pay your bills on your ever-shrinking paycheck, where are you going to find the time, energy, or money to go back to school?

Food for thought.
hmmm - maggie
[ In Reply To ..]
All I can say is I recently applied and tested for a position. I have 18 years Acute Care experience, specializing in OP and Radiology. I passed the test with flying colors, but on the application I was asked what pay I desired, made the mistake of putting in what I wanted, have not heard back! LOL
Been there, done that. But, they wanted an answer, - and I answered honestly. -sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I was applying at a place that paid hourly. Even if they had offered me 5 cents per hour less than I had specified as a fair salary, I'd have told them to get back to me when they came up with that other nickel.
If you add bonuses and incentive pay, the CPL is irrelevant - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
The people who make the most these days aren't the ones making the highest cpl. They are the ones who know how to put it all together. They are able to produce quality work and are able to keep up with the changes for the various accounts and specialties. They get bonuses and incentive pay. It's the bottom line that's important, and the highest income isn't always the highest cpl.
"Bonuses" and "incentive pay"? Whats THAT? - LOL!! Those became extinct years ago! -nm
[ In Reply To ..]
They still exist at some companies - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I would rather work with a new MT with promise than a rigid MT with experience - Oldtimer MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I'd much rather work with a new MT who has some solid skills and a good attitude instead of one with lots of experience who knows everything. Things change. Not every experienced MT is willing to do things as instructed. In fact, they don't always take instruction or criticism well at all. Some bristle if you even suggest they change something, anything. It's not pleasant to be around them. I'll take the new guy who is willing to listen to critiques without taking it personal.
Sick of newbies who think they know it all too! MT is more than being "fast." sm - kittykitty
[ In Reply To ..]
Talk about having an attitude! Just type out your garbage and get your pay. That's all its about to newbies. Produce, produce, produce. Who cares if its correct or not, just get out those lines! They are one reason this industry is in the toilet.
Don't blame the newbies - 3 year newbie
[ In Reply To ..]
I'll pit my accuracy and speed against any vet any day of the week.

Don't blame the whole thing on the newbies. I've seen plenty of garbage come from so-called experienced MTs. Plus, I never hear a newbie rale against a dictator and how they're doing it "wrong" like I've heard from plenty of veteran MTs.

It's all about the attitude.
Attitude is the key. - I believe you are right.
[ In Reply To ..]
From all my years of experience, and there are many, I would say that attitude is right up there with skill level. In fact, you might be kept on for a time if your skills are questionable, but if your attitude is bad, your days are numbered.
Who in the MT business could possibly maintain a - good attitude about it, anymore?
[ In Reply To ..]
?
Now who has the attitude?! Geesh! sm - kittykitty
[ In Reply To ..]
Just what I'm talking about. A 3-year "veteran" who thinks they know it all.
An MT with 3 years exp could compare favorably with some more experienced MTs - It depends on the people and skills
[ In Reply To ..]
There are MTs with experience who stop learning and new MTs who are highly motivated. You really can't lump everyone into categories of success/failure based on experience (time) alone. It doesn't work that way.

Experienced MTs who are doing well usually are supportive of bright new MTs who are motivated to do a good job.
Couldn't agree with you more!!!! nm - Deb
[ In Reply To ..]
`
I agree with that. sm - kittykitty
[ In Reply To ..]
I used to teach transcription but that was back in the early 90s. There were a lot of motivated students in my class and I bent over backwards for them, gave them good job recommendations, etc. However, in my experience lately, especially with the proliferation of the internet, the newbies have really copped an attitude. I'm sorry but an MT with 3 years experience cannot begin to have a knowledge of a 30+ year vet. I'm talking knowledge, not the ability to type fast. I might not be able to type as fast as you, but I still have more knowledge than you. Sorry. And even though we are now paid on production, which is another reason this industry is in the toilet, I'll take knowledge over speed anyday because knowledge is always there and can always carry over into other aspects.
Did anyone see the ad on Jobs Wanted where someone - said theyd work for 1 cpl? OMG...
[ In Reply To ..]
I guess they have no clue that if they hire on somewhere at 1 cpl, that's what they'll be STUCK with. Apalling.
It is possible to be New, Fast, and Accurate - Just Another Viewpoint To Consider
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm a very experienced MT, but here's another viewpoint to consider. Just as it is possible to be experienced, slow, and sloppy

or

experienced, fast, stubborn, and wrong,

it's possible to be new, skilled, motivated, and growing faster month by month.
Its also possible to be experienced, slow and accurate. sm - kittykitty
[ In Reply To ..]
There's nothing wrong with that either. Just get tired of experienced MTs being bashed for an attitude when it works both ways. Nobody knows it all. I'm experienced (30+ years) and I've NEVER had trouble finding a job or 2 or 3! There are, however, MTs to whom quality means nothing and quantity means everything (just like MTSOs). I've worked with MTs (newbies and vets) who never looked anything up and just left blanks or spelled things phonetically, in other words, put out garbage. They made more than I did who looked up things and made quality #1. They also thought they were great MTs because they were "fast!"
And oldbies who know it all. - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
That "know-it-all" attitude can be found in both old and new MTs. Either way, it's bad. My only bone to pick with you is that you just lumped all newbies together as being the garbage that is ruining the industry. What prompted you to be so nasty?
Please see message - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
Please don't stoop to that level because we're having a good conversation and you'll get it all deleted.
Importance of experience - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
Again, I don't think years of experience should be much of a factor in compensation. As you say, the person with 20 years experience will "probably" have a better grasp of certain things, but also maybe not. I have 5 years of experience, but it has all been full time in an acute care setting, currently in a large teaching hospital, transcribing all surgical specialities, ESL's, you name it. I can transcribe anything you throw my way, and do it very well. I'm a top producer and my quality scores are top notch. I make very decent money. I was thrown into the fire from day one and learned a ton in the process. I've encountered a number of "experienced" MTs who don't seem to know the basics of grammar and English usage. So why should they be paid more than me? Just saying.
Totally agree - in the same boat
[ In Reply To ..]
Which is one of the many reasons I left the hospital (hourly). I was making 1/2 as much as the 'old gals' and producing twice as much....
Where do I stand?? sm - Deb
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm an "old" gal (57) with a lot of knowledge, produce a lot of lines daily, can research very well on my own and have rare blanks or mistakes, yet I would probably be considered a "newbie" as I've only been doing this for 4 years now.

I agree that age or "MT" experience matters very little. It's what you know and what you are capable of accomplishing. As another poster mentioned, just because you've been at your job (whatever that job may be) for many years, it doesn't necessarily mean you have been good at that job.
So basically you and the MTSOs are saying that all those years - LoriMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I spent working in the office before the internet changed the entire industry, all that time and effort I put in running down new terms, procedure, equipment, and drugs without the benefit of the internet, i.e. going to the cath lab and talking to the techs and the cardiologists, going to the OR and talking to the surgeons, calling the pharmacy to find out about new drugs, all the years spent in meetings giving feedback to the supervisor this new platform from Dictaphone or that one from Lanier, and all those years spent in an actual transcription department learning why an H&P absolutely must have a physical exam, why certain headings are required on certain reports thereby enabling the MT to actually flag a report for physician review before the department gets pinged by Joint Commission...

All that experience and knowledge that I worked so hard for and that makes me one of the best at what I do, THAT IT SHOULD MEAN NOTHING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to a potential employer?!?!?!?!

Well excuse me if I take offense to that.

I don't care what a 5-year "veteran" MT thinks she knows. You can pass an open book test and produce a passable report, that doesn't make you "good."
Sorry you're taking offense - but....
[ In Reply To ..]
If you and I are producing at the same quality percentage and the same number of lines per day, no you should not be paid more than me. I don't care if I have been doing it for 3 or 4 or 5 years and you've been doing it 20. If I'm capable of doing the same amount of work with the same accuracy, then the pay should be the same as well.
If you can apply it to today's needs. You don't get paid now for what you used to do. - You Are Paid On What You Do Now
[ In Reply To ..]
If all of that experience makes you more productive, sure, you are more valuable. But if you are thinking that all of that "running down new" and "talking to the techs" and "talking to the surgeons" and "calling the pharmacy" makes you more valuable, it did, back then when you did it. You were paid for that. This is now. New and different skills are needed now. You have a choice to stay up or fall behind. Nothing stays the same in any industry.
What a client pays for - Ima MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Is not how many years of experience you have, it truly is irrelevant.

They pay for a finished product that they expect to be accurate. And they expect to pay XX for that product. They don't care if you've typed a million reports or 10,000 reports as long as their end product is what they want.

To think because you've typed more reports you're more valuable holds little credibility, IMO. As was already said on here somewhere, MT is not and never has been a seniority-based profession. It's an end product profession.

So if the industry is paying 12-15 cpl to MTSOs, they don't care who or how that product is produced, as long as the product is what they want.
I know how it is and I know that online MT schools and MTSOs - LoriMT
[ In Reply To ..]
and offshoring to India has made experience completely irrelevant, but isn't how it SHOULD be.

Let me share with you a little word that doesn't even exist in the MT world anymore --- RESPECT.

The MTs who are relatively new to the profession, the ones that have only few years under their belt or a few months should at the very least show some respect to the veterans who basically paved the way for you to work at home in your pajamas while feeding your babies and doing your laundry.

The knowledge base of the veteran MT helped build today's medical spellcheckers and medical knowledge databases you use today.

There's a lack of respect out there that I just cannot stomach. The MTSOs have zero respect of American MTs and then everyone has zero respect for the veteran American MT.

When an MTSO offers an American MT 7 cpl or 8 cpl -- does reflect any level of respect? Let alone making the same offer to a 20 year veteran. When they send work to India so they can save a nickel per line, does reflect any level of respect for the American MT?

Finally when an MT with 3 to 5 years experience turns her nose up at a 20 year veteran with a condescending, "you're no better than me" that is a lack of respect. Even if you think your skill level is on par with a 20-year veteran, don't you think the fact that the veteran has been working in MT over twice as a long as you have warrants any measure of respect at all? Don't you think somewhere in her years of experience there may be some tiny little nugget of knowledge she could offer you that otherwise you would never have known?

I work with a 40-year veteran and 30-year veteran. They may not be as computer savvy as I believe myself to be and I may believe that I am as good as they are, but darn it they transcribed on typewriters from turntable belts and then from standard cassettes in a hospital, retrieving three cassettes at a time as a gigantic machine spit them out! I RESPECT THAT! That couldn't have been easy work!

I have 20 years experience and I think I'm darn good, but I respect anyone with more experience than me.

Geez, there's an air of arrogance among today's MTs which I almost find humorous especially considering what you all will accept as a "decent wage."

You're welcome for all the benefits you enjoy from being an at-home MT, from all the veterans out there that you thumb your nose at.
WELL SAID!! Thank you. MT is the only sm - kittykitty
[ In Reply To ..]
profession I know of where knowledge and experience are not compensated.
I disagree. MTs who deserve respect are still respected - In my opinion
[ In Reply To ..]
I see veteran MTs being respecte for their knowledge, experience, and skills every day.
That 12-15 cpl should be going directly to the MT, and - the MTSO should be erased from the picture. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
I wouldn't want to do the work the MTSOs do to find and maintain accounts - No thank you
[ In Reply To ..]
I'll leave all that drumming up business and keeping them happy up to the MTSOs. You are not speaking for me when you say that we should all be doing that. No way! To each his own though, and if you want to be an MTSO and do that kind of work, more power to you! You won't have time to transcribe, which is the part I enjoy, and there are days when I'm tired of that too, but I'd much rather transcribe than pound the pavement or do cold-calling to get new clients. No way!
On the other hand. . . - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
Having 20 years of experience also does not necessarily make you "good." What makes you good is what you are able to produce right here and now. The proof is really in your ability to get a decent job and keep your employer happy. You have to have an adequate knowledge base, an aptitude for the work, and an attitude that keeps you moving forward. Don't get me wrong - the experience can be very valuable in adding to that knowledge base. But the employer doesn't care whether you have 5 years, 10 years,or 30 years experience; they just want you to produce your lines consistently with high quality.
By the way, the reports I put out are more than "passable." I beg to differ that 5 years is not enough to be a "good" MT. The type of experience is probably more important than the number of years. You can't tell me that an MT who has spent 10 years doing clinic work in one specialty is somehow more valuable than one who has spent 5 years doing multi-specialty acute care in a heavy ESL setting, with experience transcribing hundreds of doctors. The clinic MT with 10 years experience won't even get hired for an acute care position, let alone be considered more valuable.
All those things you did... sm - Deb
[ In Reply To ..]
certainly gave you the knowledge that you now have; however, since you can accomplish those very goals with the Internet, many can accomplish those goals easier and quicker. Granted, the way you had to do it was far more difficult and time consuming but you still have to have "knowledge" and some of us "newbies" who are older do possess a lot of knowledge needed to do this job and can do it just as well as those who have been in the business for 20 years. My knowledge stems from lots of reading, listening and just living and learning for the last 57 years in this world while raising a family. I can pass a closed book test and produce a more than "passable" report but, because I'm a newbie, I get passed over for jobs because I'm not quite at that 5-year mark that they all want. I take offense to that. ;)
Some experienced MTs have done an awful job for years but don't know it - Depends on the MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Some experienced MTs are excellent and they make more money because they know their stuff and do their work without a lot of fuss.

Some new MTs are excellent. They aren't fast, but they are willing to learn, and they do their work without a lot of fuss.

Then you have the others, experienced or new, who argue every point. No wonder they can't make any money. Their time and energy is all spent on non-transcription tasks like debating why they aren't making any money and why they won't do this or that. They spend hours arguing that they are right. Any MTSO would be lucky to have them, they tell us. If I were an MTSO, I would look for skills first, then attitude. If I couldn't find an experienced MT with a good attitude, I'd take my chances with a newer MT with good skills and save hours of debate.
That usually happens because of an awful employer - who cant or wont encourage them to improve.
[ In Reply To ..]
Look at what we have now. Look at all the nitpicking, rule-changes, and indiscepancies in your typical MTSO's operation. The current state of the job makes it nearly impossible to learn anything of value, because their perception of what is "valuable" or "right" changes so much, we begin to not pay attention to any of it anymore. Now we're stuck with QAs who flip-flop back and forth on the spelling or punctuation of things that really, truly, to not matter one iota to the accuracy or integritry of the reports we're typing. Or who change our reports so that now, they really ARE dangerously incorrect! And we have no control over that, because to the MTSOs, the QA is the last word on everything. Or how about account managers that let the clients walk all over them when it comes do their demands for equally nit-picky little "nothing" rules? Up to and including not only for each hospital, but for each individual DOCTOR?

These days we're all so bogged-down with fumbling through that mess of minutia every day, it's impacting our incomes and their TAT, and credibility with their clients and employees. It's all gotten BEYOND ridiculous!

Part of being a good MT, young or old, new or with years of experience, is the ability to learn as you go, ON THE JOB. Too bad so many employers make it nearly impossible to do so.
It has always been that way and we've always griped about it - We griped a little and worked a lot
[ In Reply To ..]
This is nothing new. Q/A people have always had their inconsistencies. Nothing in this industry has ever been perfect, nor will it. It's work. Work has problems. Always has; always will have. The key is to know how to do the work well in spite of all of the problems. If you can do that, you'll do well.
I couldn't agree with you more!!! nm - Deb
[ In Reply To ..]
`
An experienced MT is able to do more specialties, more ESL, and turn out more lines - unless they have an attitude
[ In Reply To ..]
There are good experienced MTs and some that just have said they were good so many times that they've started believing it.

I'm seeing quite a few MTs who have great experience, but the attitude is killing their progress. They don't make as much money because they are constantly complaining. They don't like the account they are on. They don't agree with Q/A. They refuse to work with SR in any form. They've always done it this way and nobody can tell them anything. In fact, they spend so much time defending all that experience that they don't have time to turn out much work, and even that work isn't quite as perfect as they would like to believe.
And A New MT May Have Fresh Skills/Knowledge/Motivation - I repect both kinds of MTs
[ In Reply To ..]
There are advantages with new MTs just like there are with more experienced ones. I wouldn't rule out either if I were hiring.
Describe "good". - n/msg.
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't agree with your conclusion but I have a question - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
It's obvious that you are experienced and productive. So it seems that you would be able to make more, just because you are faster and more skilled, wouldn't you? I thought that was the way it worked. New MTs are slow and have to look everything up. Even if they made the same per line, they make less.

The incentive pay makes the big difference though. Everyone I know who gets incentive pay and/or bonuses does much better than everyone else.
Yes, IMO the more experienced and productive, the more money you make. - LoriMT
[ In Reply To ..]
It stands to reason that an MT who does not have to look everything else and trusts her own judgment, will produce more lines.

Incentive does make a huge difference which is why for my primary job I rather like the base hourly pay and then the opportunity to earn incentive on top of that. It's a nice cushion.

When you work for the MTSOs, there's not as soft of a cushion. Plus a lot of them have the tier system which to me is purposefully confusing.
Up to a point. But then the ponderous, picky platforms - procured by pinheads slow you down.
[ In Reply To ..]
what he/she is worth - Old MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I guess this just sticks in my craw.

In a job like MT, you can be as good at 5 years into the job as you are at 25 years. Because I'm a damn fine MT, I don't have the UNREALISTIC expectation that the industry will somehow accommodate that.

Fast, cheap, and accurate. Most accounts will accept 2 out of 3.

I just see all this railing about what we "used" to be paid is simply unproductive. It's CHANGED. It's NEVER going to change back and that's whether you're an old vet or a newbie.

The profession will not be around in 20 years, not in any form that we see it today. Live your life accordingly.
Sounds like youre selling yourself short, then. - s/msg.
[ In Reply To ..]
Because if you're that good and that fast, imagine what you'd be making if you weren't putting yourself on sale.

When you talk about what we USED to be paid. Well, I remember what I USED to pay for rent, and for gasoline, and for a gallon of milk. Did those costs go down? No way. The property values go up, as do the property taxes, so the landlords raise the rent. The dairyman has to have more for the milk because feed for the cattle goes up. And gasoline, well, that's a whole 'nother rant.

But what is so cheap, so run-of-the-mill, so worthless about MTs that we have to keep settling for less and less?

And what's so all-fired WONDERFUL about middle mangement and above, that they deserve to keep on making more and more and more and more and more and more.....
????

We're just as valuable, in our own niche, as they supposedly are in theirs. It costs us just as much to feed our families. But we're INVISIBLE, and it's just too easy for them to squash us like bugs, because they can't see us, so no guilt there.

I'd sure like to look one of those SOBs in the eye someday, and have them tell me to my face why I don't deserve AN HONEST DAY'S PAY FOR AN HONEST DAY'S WORK, just like everyone else.
Maybe you've outgrown your job. Is that a possibility? - Just thinking
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not being critical. I'm being serious. Maybe you've outgrown your job. You could choose to be one of those in management or you could do something else, maybe in an entirely different field. If your job is no longer meeting your needs, give it to someone else and move on. That's the way it works. It always has been that way and always will, don't you agree?
No, I havent outgrown my job. But my earnings - have dropped as inflation has risen.
[ In Reply To ..]
ALL MTs are in the same boat. Every single one of us is worth far more than we're being paid, and we're all, collectively being ripped off.
That's an overstatement but I understand that's the way it looks from your viewpoint - Not ALL MTs agree about anything
[ In Reply To ..]
Some do better than others. Not everyone is in that boat you speak of, but I know it feels that way when YOU are in that boat.

When I apply, and they see 20+ years experience, - they never even call, and the few - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
that do, never get so far as to offer an interview. Not once have I even made it to any money offers. Years ago, I applied at 4 hospitals (cold calls, in person) in one afternoon, and got 4 fantastic offers. Now, no one wants an MT with lots of years and specialties under their belt.

I think most don't want more than 5 years's experience, and DEFINITELY not more than 10.
If that were true - see message - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Then none of the experienced MTs would get offers. I've had offers and actually would have liked some of the jobs but I need full time with benefits and very few of the companies offer affordable health insurance.
Another reason they dont want older workers. Im sure - they get lots of pressure from the - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
insurance companies on that little detail. That, and maybe all kinds of financial incentives to keep a young workforce.

Health ins. is starting to become a moot point. Our latest company choice of so-called "insurance" only pays about 1/4 of each claim. They deny practically everything, from treatment of injuries to office visits. Unbelieveable.

But if I'm going to hire on with a company that offers no insurance, then I really DO have to be well-compensated, because self-insuring is even more expensive. As is going without it. Either way, you lose.

The bottom line is, these companies don't care ONE IOTA about their employees. They consider them sub-human, expendable drones.
Sometimes But Not All Employers Have Horns - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I wish I could believe that, but it's getting harder - and harder as time goes by. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I have days that I feel that way too. :) - Not always though
[ In Reply To ..]
There are days that make me want to pull the covers back over my head and hide in bed. I think it takes real courage these days to have a job at all. The economy stinks! I know people who have lost job after job and I see people I don't know who are losing their homes because they've lost work. Now there's a problem. So, I climb out of bed and thank God that I have work. Maybe it isn't as good as it was 5-10 years ago, but we have lots of company. Nobody is doing as well as they were 5-10 years ago, are they? At least I'm not a homebuilder and not selling real estate or cars. That's also something to be thankful about. :)
couldn't be more wrong - mt forEVER
[ In Reply To ..]
It's not your years of experience that are keeping you from getting offers. It simply is not. I know many long-time MTs who all get work when they need it.

If you get to an interview and don't get an offer, maybe look at what you're saying in the interview. I've never interviewed for an MT job that I wasn't made an offer.
So far I have yet to get to the interview. One called me - for a re-send on my resume. When -sm
[ In Reply To ..]
they read that I'd been at my current job 5 years, and my previous job 20 years, they undoubtedly knew I wasn't going to work for 5 or 6 cpl, and didn't waste their time even asking.

I don't think that's your problem - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Something you wrote in your resume probably sounds either argumentative or like you're going to be more trouble than you're worth.

Look at what you just wrote to us, "they undoubtedly knew I wasn't going to..." That attitude clearly has shown up in your communication with potential employers. They just moved along to the next applicant.
Nope, it was a very clear, concise, standard resume. - Just listed jobs, types of accounts, - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
years I'd worked at that institution.

And another paragraph at the end listing education. No mention at all of salary, or anything else I wanted, other than full-time employment as an MT.
I would be glad to take a look at it for you if you want - Linda Andrews
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not saying I will be much help, but I would be glad to look at it for you and see if anything jumps out at me.
They don't care as long as they know they can work with you - Senior MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Nonsense! The MTSOs are happy to get any kind of qualified MT who will do the work the way they want it done. They don't care if you are 80 years old or are ugly as sin. All they care about is if you can do the work the way they want it done, without a lot of fuss.

If you think your years of experience may be a problem for you, look at your resume and see if there is something there that makes it sound like you might be stuck in your ways. They need people they can work with and it's possible that there is something there that hints that you may not be able to do things their way. If you never get to the interview stage of the process, the resume almost has to be the problem. Have someone look at it for you. E-mail one of the schools and see if their placement person would be willing to look at it for you and see if they can identify the problem. Some of them would do that for you and it might help.
Ive wondered that, looked into it, and theres just not - anything in my job applications or - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
that stands out, or could turn someone off, other than number of years worked. Or my age (which I try to dodge whenever possible). I also won't send my SS# with an application, because who knows who is going to get hold of it. They have to talk or email with me, and show some actual interest in hiring me, before they're getting my date of birth or my SSN.

So with 40 years experience, youre willing to settle - for the chump change theyre paying now? NM

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

chump change - Lotsa jobs

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I am.

I have a graduate degree in another field and could easily procure other employment.

But my body has other ideas and I'm unable to work out of the house. So for me, it's a trade off. Work at home for the "going" rate or don't. Me kicking and screaming and refusing to accept the 8-10 cpl I get offered won't keep a roof over my head nor food in my belly.

I still make $18-25/hr. I can't complain about that. I'm happy to have the skills to keep working at all.

We won't be going back 10 or 15 years. The past is past and I tend to view the world realistically rather than as it "should" be.
Well, thats exactly what all the greedy MTSOs want - to hear. Because that way, at least -sm
[ In Reply To ..]
THEY will be able to keep up with inflation and the cost of living in the years to come. If they're willing to trade whatever morals they might have had at some point in their lives for a few extra dollars, then they better enjoy that cash flow while they have it, because sooner or later, karma will sneak around behind them and bite them in the butt.

And it really is about time more people started to view the world as it "should" be, and not just as it is. Because as it is now, it's unsustainable.
All MTSOs Are Not Immoral. That's A Little Dramatic - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
It's like anything else. There are good and bad. If you choose to look for the bad, you'll find it.
Good for you! Your employer is lucky to have you and you them - Well Said!
[ In Reply To ..]
With your attitude, you will be able to work as long as you want to work. It is a different world than it was a few years ago. I saw things start to change back in 2000 or so, not just with MT but with just about every job category you can name. I don't think we're going back, People are going to have to do what you are doing, find something that works for you and stop complaining and just do it, or move along, if you can find something to move along to. The world has changed. Our country's job outlook has changed. Our industry has changed. Are there still people making good money in MT? That's relevant. What's good money to one person isn't acceptable to others, and those others need to move along and leave the jobs to the people who need them and want them.

Shut out? - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I have about 30 years experience as an MT. I haven't posted on the job wanted board but I do not feel shut out of jobs. I've had opportunities to work at home for several of the MTSOs but right now I have a full-time on-site job, I also just enrolled in a coding program. I may need to take a different transcription job at a later date so hopefully they'll still be out there. I can only speak for myself but I haven't had much experience with VR editing and also plan to improve those skills before seeking out future MT work.

Things have changed a LOT - for the WORSE, in - just the last 10-12 months. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

I haven't seen that so it probably depends on where you are looking - Different Viewpoint

[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't noticed any big changes in the last 10-12 months other than what we're seeing in the overall economy nationwide. I hope that changes soon for everyone, no matter what kind of work. Too many people have lost jobs, homes, and whole industries have dried up; homebuilding and real estate as examples. We could certainly use some good news overall, couldn't we?!

Most of those highly experienced MTs - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
who have posted on the job wanted board stipulate TRANSCRIPTION ONLY or QA. Editing/transcription mix is what the MTSOs require now. Even with 20, 30+ years experience but only doing limited clinic work or 1 or 2 or specialities does not cut it now. An MT must be able to do ESL, editing, acute care and know a multitude of specialties to make a living.

Post on Job Wanted Board - MT2020

[ In Reply To ..]
Couldn't help but notice the one ad that starts "will work for any pay" is getting the most hits. Un-freaking-believable!!!!

just means everyone wants to see what they put in - their ad lol

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Im sure the Indians just LOVE her. Ill work for FAIR - pay, but sure as heck not "any" pay. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I think you have described the problem for many experienced MTs - They do not want those jobs

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm seeing experienced MTs who don't want the 'new' jobs. The other more traditional MT jobs are harder to find. Therein lies the problem.

The jobs they dont want are the ones they cant make - a living at. Which would be MOST of them. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Unacceptable to 1 MT is a Blessing to another - We are not the judge of what is right
[ In Reply To ..]
One person will be greatly blessed by an opportunity another MT will consider an insult. I don't think we can put ourselves in the position of judging what is right for another human being who wants to work.
Hah! You may be right. Theres actually someone - on there willing to work for 1 cpl.
[ In Reply To ..]
Pfffttt! Whatever floats their boat....
I doubt that many would be willing to do that, but our needs do vary - Some believe they are worth more
[ In Reply To ..]
just because some believe they are worth more doesn't mean all employers will agree with them. In my own personal experience I would have taken a lot less money at times when I just needed to pay bills. Later I required much more, because I wanted to buy expensive things. There are people who are just doing what they can to survive. I can't fault them for that because I've done it myself.

Why are you lumping everyone together? Not fair! sm - rabbithole

[ In Reply To ..]
There are "old" MTs who look forward to a challenge because they have the skills to meet it. I get bored with the same-old, same-old. Give me something to challenge me so I can use my substantial skills that someone with 3 years' experience won't have.

You've got a good point there. Not all "old" MTs have given up - Learning Something New

[ In Reply To ..]
Your comment is so true. There are some established MTs who constantly are updating their skills and are not afraid of new technology, SR, etc. Thanks for reminding us of that.

I really do not think years of experience has anything to do with it - Just a sign of the times

[ In Reply To ..]

My personal opinion as to why some people never get so much as an Email acknowledgement after applying for a job – It has nothing to do with years of experience, your requested cents per line, or even your specialty.  I think recruiters are just plain lazy!!!!  

This is too funny – coincidence or MTSO reading the Board? 

Your Post:  Posted: May 4th, 2010 - 2:39 pm

Job Seeker’s Board Post:  Posted: May 4th, 2010 - 5:01 pm

Last sentence of their job ad: 

Please note that all applicants will not be phoned for an interview depending upon their skills, qualifications, testing scores, and previous experience. 

Could be just a typo – I just found it funny.  Don’t they usually say WILL be phoned depending upon…

I guess they have spoken – do not take it personally.  It may have nothing to do with how many years of experience you have.  You simply did not make the “short list” for whatever reason – and no one knows how these recruiters decide who does and does not warrant an Email or phone call. 

I think it has more to do with the good old fashion supply and demand – over the last couple of years, it seems that there have been way more people applying for each job than jobs offered. 

I cannot believe I still had this, but four years ago, I was looking for a job.  I had copied all the jobs on the Job Seeker’s Board for one month in order to get an idea of which companies were looking and what they were looking for so I could do some research before putting in an application and taking the transcription tests. 

Four years ago, there were 10 to 15 job opening posts by DIFFERENT companies per day – compared to this year with only 10 to 15 job posts per week (and sometimes 2 or 3 from the same company).  Even comparing 2009 and 2010, there were almost twice as many job openings per week in 2009 as compared to 2010.  There just are not that many jobs available anymore, and more and more people are applying for every job that is posted.  Ever look at the number of View for a week-old job post (1893, 1844, 1567, 1405, 1271)?  Even if only 5-10% of the people who look at the job opening post Email or submit an application, that could be 100 or more resumes the recruiter has to go through. 

And it is not even just people who are out of work and really need to find a job before financial disaster overcomes them.  I think over half of the applicants already have a job and are unhappy where they are.   That makes it even more difficult for people who do not have a job to find a good one. 

Have you noticed that even job opening posts with no company name, no website, no Email address, questionable wording, and even low cpl get resumes sent to them?   Most times, the person who applied posted because they never got a reply back from their Email, and then other people post that they did not get a reply either. 

As long as there are more people looking for jobs than there are job openings, the recruiters will be overwhelmed, and the chances that you will get any acknowledgement becomes less and less likely.

Have you seen the posts requesting information about one company that never gets back to them even after testing or having an interview (cannot think of the name off the top of my head, but you probably will recognize it, I am sure)?   Every single person who works or worked there posted that they had to keep calling the recruiter/HR Department several times before beginning work because no one ever called them back after taking the tests or even after the initial interview.  Totally disorganized company. 

Basically, if I do not hear back from a company, I consider myself lucky that I dodged a bullet.  I really do believe in fate.  Four years ago, I tested and interviewed with a company.  I really wanted to work for that company, and it sounded like they were going to offer me the job.  I waited and waited to hear back from them.  In the meantime, I happened to see a job opening post for another company and just out of curiosity I applied, even though I was not really interested I working for the second company.  The second company called me a couple days after I applied and offered me the job on the spot.  They needed an answer soon.  I almost said No, that I would wait for my #1 company to get back to me, but instead I said I would let them know in 2 days.  Two days later, I called company #2 and said Yes to them, because company #1 never answered my Emails.  BEST decision I made.  I would not say I loved the second company (every company has its good and bad), but I had no major complaints.  Six months later, this Board had nothing but negatives from numerous people about my #1 company about how bad they had gotten.  Fate had stepped in.

One more interesting observation.  Just recently I was researching a company that had a job opening post.  I happened to find a job opening post by the same company, which was two years old.  The ad read exactly the same – almost word for word.  The only difference – Pay in 2008 was listed as 0.08 to 0.09 cents per line – Pay in 2010 was listed as 0.07 to 0.08 cents per line. 

Everyone else in the world (I know, not literally) work and a lot get cost of living raises every year.  The Medical Transcription profession seems to be one of the few that not only do they not give cost of living increases and do not give regular raises, but the starting salary has actually gone down over the years.  Aren’t we the lucky ones !!!!

Hang in there.  There is a job for you and everyone else who is looking. 

Sign of the times - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel fortunate to have dodged a few bullets myself. My attitude is that there was a reason I didn't get the job with company XYZ or whatever. I also wanted to say to people that if you are not contacted right away, it does not mean they have forgotten about you. I applied for a job in January was just contacted to test last week. I am also curious about what rate of pay people consider to be "chump change." I've read posts from people complaining about being paid $15 an hour, it's all relative. I agree that it is a sign of the times, a lot of people are out of work and can't find jobs. Most of us are fortunate to have skills that can be expanded on to make us marketable, now and in the future.

Yes. I agree. - Excellent Message

[ In Reply To ..]
You've made some excellent points.

you are probably right, considering the mindframes that be out there, sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
as to whether they compensate for experience - well, they haven't so far - why would they now? Every ad I have ever responded to avoid the cpl with the words 'based on experience' only to tell you at interview 'the job only pays xx cpl' period.

no better than carnival barkers, they are....

I don't agree, but that maybe because all the experienced MTs I know are working and - not looking for work

[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't seen that, but then all the experienced MTs I know are working and not looking. If they were looking, maybe that would be a different picture.

Being shut out - Ex-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I too have many years experience AND formal training; however from what I have experienced in the last year, I honestly don't think that the industry is shutting out MTs with experience because "they know it used to be better," although we do know that for years it did used to be better and you could actually live on the pay and it was a real job.

From interviews that I've had, the HIM and HIT areas including MT is changing very quickly right now, and from what I've seen, in a couple of very short years, the entire industry including HIM and HIT will be transformed into something very much smaller and some jobs will probably will not exist -- including MT and medical coding. I actually looked at a coding program from a reputable, well-known, 4-year university and the advisor told me that a couple of years ago their graduates could find jobs and over this past year, none of them can find jobs, and she basically advised me not to enter the HIM/HIT field at all. It looks like to me that IT (information technology) department will eventually take over and be responsible for many aspects of what used to be the HIM department -- JMO

Here's an answer - but most won't accept and/or like it - HatesLosers

[ In Reply To ..]
Okay, I'll probably get torn up for this, but here goes. I really don't care - the question was asked, and I have an answer - certainly not the ONLY answer, but one of them.

I work for a very small company that pays extremely well. When there was a huge backlog recently on top of the never ending daily work, I suggested to my employer that he come here for some help. I told him that I am constantly reading posts from very experienced MTs who are not happy with the general wages being offered.

His reply? "Hell, no!!" That is the most entitled group of people I have ever run across in my life!" Upon further discussion, he feels (him - not me - just passing it along for those who care)from, according to him, prior experience, that the "old timers" feel they are automatically owed a higher wage just because of their time in the business. He has, apparently, also run into problems with seasoned MTs arguing about his format and how he wants things done simply because they've always done it another way. So he'd rather train someone new and pay them like a seasoned MT than actually use a seasoned MT.

Food for thought maybe...

Similar Messages:

NEW: Job Wanted Board -- SM
May 03, 2010

We now have a Job Wanted board available.  This is a board for you to make confidential posts that list what you are looking for in your job search.  There are many ways to use the Job Wanted board.  There are also safe practices you, as posters, should take for professional security. Posters responding to your job-wanted ad can be recruiters, facilities, any business wanting to respond to you.  Other fellow posters (MTs) can also make suggestions about companies ...

Re: Job Wanted Board
Jun 05, 2010

I was just wondering if anybody has gotten a response from a company yet? I am on there and I have not heard a thing. If this is not in the right spot, I am not sure exactly where to post this! ...

So Finally We Have A Job Wanted Board!
May 03, 2010

See the menu on left under Job Seeker's Board or here is the direct link. http://forum.mtstars.com/wanted/ ...

Curious About The Job Wanted Board . . .
May 17, 2010

I am curious if anyone who has posted on the Job Wanted Board if you have actually had anyone contact you regarding your experience.   I am wondering if companies actually look at this or are other MTs seeing who their competition is . . .   Just curious.  thanks ...

Job Wanted Board - Any Contacts Yet?
May 18, 2010

Just curious if anyone is getting contacted from the job wanted board?  Thanks ...

Has Anyone Ever Gotten A Job Offer From The Job Wanted Board?
Jul 31, 2010

Just curious...has anyone ever gotten a job from their posting on the job wanted board? There seem to be many Mts looking for work. It would be interesting to know how many MTs have work that want to work. ...

Has Anyone Gotten A Job After Posting On Job Wanted Board?
Oct 24, 2010

I am thinking about posting there, but wondered if anyone had any luck finding a decent job that way. ...

Job Wanted Board - Any Job Offers?
Jun 14, 2011

Has anyone ever gotten a job after they've posted on the Job Wanted Board?  Just wondering.  (sorry if this is the wrong board to post this message) ...

Job Wanted Board - Any Response
Aug 18, 2011

Just wondering.  Has anyone who has posted on the Job Wanted Board actually gotten any response or, better yet, a job out of posting there?  TIA ...

Has Anyone Ever Gotten A Job From Posting On The Job Wanted Board?? Thanks.nm
Nov 02, 2011

nm ...

My Post On Job Wanted Board
Mar 19, 2013

I posted on the Job Wanted Board. This morning I received an E-mail from "Ravindran" which said the following: i can help u, contact me. This smells fishy to me, and replied that the response was "very unprofessional". India, maybe? ...

Moderator: Will We Still Be Getting A 'jobs Wanted' Board, And
Nov 05, 2009

is there a way to fix the search feature to where you can search for short terms?  Right now, it won't let you search for terms like 'QA' or 'MDI' etc. because they're too short.  It also limits you to one page of results.  The Google search box we used to have worked much better.  TIA. ...

Has Anyone Gotten A Good Job By Posting On The Job Wanted Board? Nm
Mar 02, 2012

NM ...

Has Anyone Been Hired From Posting On The Job Wanted Board? NM
Mar 30, 2013

. ...

Jobs Wanted Board - Oh Good Grief
Mar 02, 2011

I just posted on the Jobs Wanted Board - and it came up x 2 - I then tried to delete - and now there are 3 identical postings.....  How do I get the two extra off?  (blushing with embarrassment) - I want to get rid of the evidence as soon as possible  lol ...

Resume Bank/Jobs Wanted Board
Jul 12, 2014

Just curious if posting on the Jobs Wanted or in the Resume Bank has been useful to anyone, or are companies just looking through resumes they receive to fill positions.  Thanks! ...

Moderator...question About The Job Wanted Board...can We List Our Training/school?
May 05, 2010

As a new graduate, it would great for those seeking employment if we could list our training/school. Just a thought as I've been reading through lots of forums of job ads that say no newbies unless you were a student of a few select schools. Thoughts?? ...

"Private Medical Transcriptionist" On Another Help Wanted Board Is A Scam
Feb 26, 2014

Same tip-offs as all the others (don't want to give too much away or those shysters will know to change it).   Just FYI.   ...

SoftScript Called Me Today And Wanted To Know If I Wanted To Work For Them
Jun 11, 2010

Although I work for Spheris/Medquist right now, SoftScript called me today and wanted to know if I wanted to work for them. I had applied with them before being hired by Spheris. They assured me they DO have work right now. ...

Fine, We Will Just Post On The Main Board Or Company Board Then... Nm
Oct 12, 2014

Has Anyone Noticed
May 10, 2010

that, on companies sites, they do not always put the LOCATION of the company and you have to search for it? I think that is odd. You would think that would be the first thing that they do. I find it strange. ...

Has Anyone Else Noticed...
Dec 07, 2010

...all the jobs listed on the Job Seeker's Board?  and then noticed ...all the MT resumes listed on the Job Wanted Board ???   What's up with this?  Why don't the MTSOs advertising for help just go directly to the Job Wanted Board since there are probably hundreds/thousands of us looking for work!  Why go to the trouble of advertising when those of us on the Job Wanted Board already have our skills and experience outlined for them and we state ...

I Never Noticed It Before But
Jan 18, 2011

I was just looking back through all my pay stubs from 2010 and MQ took out less than $5.00 in federal taxes. The same dollar amount is listed in the "year-to-date" column on EVERY SINGLE STUB.  There is never an amount in the current week column and the number never changes in the year to date column. WHAT?!?!? Is this an error or did they really not take out my taxes like they were supposed to?  They took out everything else: State, social security, etc.  Am I going to get a h ...

Has Anyone Else Noticed
Aug 22, 2013

On the sign-in page to Fiesa, in the green strip at the bottom is copyright Nuance Transcription Services India Pvt. Ltd. All rights reserved.  hmmmmmm ...

Have You Noticed
Mar 06, 2014

has anyone else noticed that since the announcement of Imdex "merger" with TT that on the job seeker's board, there are now new notices of companies hiring such as Babbletype and Keystrokes that have not had hiring notices on that board? Just think that's a little unusual. ...

Hae You Noticed?
Sep 10, 2014

That QA/Fiesa only seems to find little errors?  I often wonder if the only errors that I make are a left/right discrepancy, date/age discrepancy, a, the, etc.  I have no idea who does my QA, but I'm wondering why they never find a big mistake, like a sound-alike drug or sound-alike instrument or disease.  I'm wondering if others have big mistakes found or are those who do our QA only able to find those kinds of errors - the kind we would find too if we went back and rel ...

Has Anyone Else Noticed This?
Oct 14, 2014

That VR seems to be getting worse in that it is constantly putting in a wrong number which is different from what is CLEARLY dictated.  This seems to happen more and more with dates and especially years.  Seems like they are trying to trip us up! ...

Has Anyone Else Noticed That Most Of The MT
Oct 24, 2014

job postings now are for IC's? Way to get around Obamacare. Best look up how the IRS defines IC now because a lot of these places are thinking they can tell you when you have to work and still claim you as IC with no benefits and low wages. What a deal! I feel like applying to a few just to set them straight. This career really sucks anymore. ...

About The 500+ LPH, Here Is What I Noticed In My POD-sm
Jan 21, 2015

Of the 80 people listed, only 10 had a 300+ line count.  Of those 10, 4 had a high (highlighted in red) QA submission score.  The highest line count was 415 with a 24% QA submission score. The average seemed to be between the minimum of 150 and about 250ish.   Remember when ASR started and we were told eventually we could do TWICE as much as straight typing and thus the reason for the cpl pay cut!  So we all should be at 300+ by now dont you think??!! ...

Have You Noticed...
Jun 04, 2015

the new MModal ad for PT transcriptionist?  The text of the job description is so long it won't entirely fit an iPad screen.   Really? dhere to these innumerable job responsibilities, and you too can make minimum wage.  Boy, I am chomping at the bit for that job. Sorry, folks.  I have crossed over from sarcasm to cynicism with this company.  The plan is to be gone within a month. ...