A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Once Upon an Urgent Care Visit... - Keyboard Dancer

Posted: Sep 09, 2013

I went to Urgent Care with my fiance last week as he was not feeling well.  They got us right in.  A medical assistant took his vitals immediately. The doctor was in within 5 minutes.  (There was only one person in the waiting room ahead of us and, incidentally, no one yet after us.)  Everyone was very nice, personable, and efficient.  The doctor started asking my fiance questions about his health, as he sat in front of a laptop computer and entered all the information himself.  He would ask a question, my fiance would answer, and he would spend minutes at a time typing in the laptop.  There was also a quick physical examination.  I, as an MT, finally asked him if he had to input all his own info.  He said he did, that the company had spent ‘A Billion Dollars’ for their new system in which they input their own information on the patient visits.  HE said because of it he was not able to spend as much time actually examining patients as was done in the past, instead had to spend this time entering data.  We explained I was a medical transcriptionist, and he remarked that he WISHED he could have a medical transcriptionist, that this was not what he went to medical school for, and he was not a very good typist.  I appreciated his frankness, and when the visit was over we left, sad to see what has become of, at least in this setting, what used to be an honored, appreciated profession, but which is becoming virtually extinct.  The End.

Life moves on - cant dwell on the past - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Gone are my days of making $16 an hour as MT. Now some days I make $9 other days I make $3.17.

Used to dwell on the past of oh how it was great this or that or this is not what I went through MT school for. Since all of it is not here anymore there is no reason to dwell on it. Times are changes.

To quote Paul Harvey - "And that is the rest of the story".

16 an hour? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
At one point, in the late 1990s, I was making 30-32 an hour. Maybe that's why my hands are completely shredded. Ahhh...the glory days!

yes, easily without trying hard I was making - 25 to 30 an hour

[ In Reply To ..]
Those were the days!

$16/hr? That was a very slow day's pay. - Allie

[ In Reply To ..]

Reply to all 3 that responded about my 16 an hour - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You all must have started long before I came on board. I thought 16 was great! :-) Was very happy with my wages. If I was making 32 I would have never quit. LOL. Now most days I'm making between $3.50 to 5.00 an hour. Just don't know what I'm going to do. Going through my savings to pay bills and it will eventually run out. I don't dwell in the past or do the I wish I could have because I could go all the way back to high school on the "I wish" list. But got to start thinking about how I'm going to survive and what I'm going to do.

I have heard the exact same sentiment..... - Mom22dogs

[ In Reply To ..]
.....from doctors that I know. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to matter what even THEY think about it!

Sad part is we still get charged the full hour rate for 5 min of doc time! n/m - ???

[ In Reply To ..]
x

That type of service is not charged by the hour - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Office visits like that are not charged an hourly rate. They are paid on the basis of the complexity of the medical decision making, IF there is enough documentation to support it. This is standard throughout the US. The charge includes the face-to-face time with the patient, reviewing records and labs, and doing the documentation regardless of when or how it is done.

That doctor was not being entirely truthful. He is not required to type while he sees the patient. He should be typing after he sees him. He somehow managed to remember everything long enough to dictate it after the visit; he can darn well remember it long enough to type it or dictste it in Dragon after the visit.

Even if that particular system requires input during the visit, it should not interfere with the patient's time. That is because past visits would have been, say 15 minutes with the patient and 5 minutes documenting. He still has only 5 minutes of documentation to do. The patient is just in the room 5 minutes longer.

The problem there is the doctor.

What doctor charges a per hour rate? - ??

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe you need to find another physician? I've never heard of a Dr. charging a per hour visit... it's always been based on the service/treatment given.

What I meant was... - ???

[ In Reply To ..]
What I should've said was that, yes I know doctors charge per codes and all that, but just from my experience with my own doctors, that the standard codes they use do have a time period associated with them, like a new patient exam, lab draw, etc. I used to work in a doctor's office and they did use different codes depending on the patient and the time set for the appt. So my basis for what I said earlier was that even though the doctor only spoke to or actually touched the patient may have been only 5 minutes, the billing code he uses may be for a 15 min, 30 min, 60 min visit time. If that makes sense. Meaning that the insurance company will still get charged "full" rate of that code no matter how long the doc was actually in with the patient. If that makes sense.

I was just commenting on the OP because that makes me angry that no matter how long the doc sees a patient, they still charge/get paid the set amount no matter what. I'm one of the those patients that asks alot of questions and takes up my whole hour (or whatever time slot I have) b/c I'm paying what insurance doesn't and I want my money's "worth."

So Yes I do know that they do not charge by the hour so to speak.
Sorry, that is still incorrect - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
The office where you worked misunderstood the purpose of the "time" the CPT book lists for E&M codes. Those are not time-based codes.

It is an estimate provided to help you understand the code. It is not a literal definition of how long the service should take. You are not supposed to determine the code based on that time.

The codes are based on the complexity of the problem. A minor problem can be addressed quickly. It may warrant a low-level code. The charge is therefore lower. The coding is based on the fact that the problem is minor. It warrants only, say, 99212 because it requires little decision making. The listed time on that code says 5 or 10 minutes only because that is how long it usually takes. It can take less or more time.

If your doctor spent 5 minutes with you, it was because the problem required only that long.

Sorry, but your beliefs on this are just incorrect. A large part of your upset about this is due to your own misconception and erroneous beliefs.
Again, let me "explain" what I meant (jeez!) - ???
[ In Reply To ..]
Okay, so now to avoid this back and forth nonsense with Coder, I may be incorrect in what you stated. That said, my original response to the OP was just a passing observation out of my mouth like I was thinking back to old school doctors and "charging by the hour" quote unquote so to speak. Anyway, thanks for telling me that I am wrong in what I believe (um?) and don't wanna do this "arguing" on MTstars. Really? Basically, I was just making a "stupid" or whatever you want to call it statement about being in a doctor's office for 2 seconds and still getting charged their rate, however it is coded. I didn't think I was going to get a "talking to" on here by simply stating a blank generalized statement like "yeah and you still get charged by the hour" as in ha ha, like that kind of thing. Somebody is incorrect in their belief at what they obviously misconstrued what I meant. I'm done!

Know the Feeling - Patient

[ In Reply To ..]
Recently, I spent an extra 30 minutes in a doctor's office while a PA asked me my history, etc. and hunted and pecked her way through the laptop with my answers. Fortunately, I have no real medical history and only take multivitamins. I'd hate to be someone who takes 30 different meds and has a complicated medical history.

Similar Messages:

Capitalize Urgent Care Facility?
Oct 12, 2009

He was seen at the urgent care facility becuase of his discomfort ...

ER VISIT
Mar 06, 2010

Need help.  S/L anocubita.  Can't find it on Google or in my reference books.  Thanks in advance. ...

EMR At The Doc Office Visit Today
Aug 09, 2010

Went in for annual OB/GYN today and saw the NextGen EMR monitors everywhere!  NP comes in the room and starts typing, althought it takes her forever to get through screens.  I asked about my records from my high-risk pregnancy 10 years ago.  She says they will be "somewhere in storage" but will never be assessible at any office visit from now on.  What???  I thought that was why EMR was going to be SO GREAT!  So we could access our medical records fro ...

Pt Does Not Want To Be At Office Visit. He Is Very S/l *monofelobic* In His Responses. Tx Nm
Jul 11, 2013

x ...

Word/term For Time Off For Doctor Visit
Apr 08, 2014

I am almost finished with a medical transcription course.  There is one worde/term being dictated that I just cannot understand.  It refers to when someone takes time off work for a doctor visit.  It sounds like the person dictating is saying "emuran."  Can anyone help me.   Thanks so much ...

Wound Edges Were Debrided Of The S/l Fibering On Today's Visit.
Jan 14, 2010

x ...

Urgent Question - Help!
Feb 12, 2010

My shift is over in an hour and a half and the next job in my que is 1700+seconds (clinic notes).  Do I hit break or abandon to give it to someone else? ...

North Carolina MTs And TAA -- URGENT
Jan 19, 2010

Please send a copy of the email or details from phone message from the  Grover Houck that stated you need a letter of layoff to this email williams-raysor.rosemary@dol.gov I talked to Rosemary.  She is the TAA REGIONAL DIRECTOR for 8 states including NC.  She is intervening but needs copies of emails sent stating MTs would not qualify unless submitting the layoff letter from Medquist. Please call her.  She wants to talk to other MTs.  Please call and/or send email ...

Amphion Question *URGENT
Aug 20, 2010

For the Amphion interview, do they quiz you and ask you medical terms and stuff like that? ...

URGENT CRITICAL BACKLOG!!!
Sep 26, 2010

So I check MQ Central as usual before starting my shift this morning.  Found 4 messages stating critical backlog with weekend incentive.  I sign on.  No jobs.  I'm tier 3.  Never saw NO JOBS first thing on my regular Sunday shifts.  WHAT THE ____?  I read on to get a slap on the wrist from my RTL.  Why didn't I send a report to QA that had multiple blanks.  I tried to be objective, but it was for the usual reasons I send multiple-blank repor ...

Can Anyone Read The Urgent E-mail
Feb 28, 2011

Just got an "urgent" e-mail titled URGENT: MedQuist Inc. 401(k) Participant Letter Regarding Exchange Offer   and I can't open the attachment, just get the gray screen of doom. Anybody else??  TIA ...

Urgent. Bashop's Disease??
Jun 08, 2011

Radiology Trans. Pt with back pain. Doctor says "Post-operative changes from previous spinal fusion are seen at L4-L5. There is confluent osteophytosis of the posterior elements, consistent with s/l BASHOP'S disease. Googled Bishop's dz and Behcet's dz. I can't find Bashop anywhere. HELP!! I'm in the middle of dictation now. Thanks!! ...

Got 3 E Mails That Say All Areas Need Urgent Help
Nov 23, 2013

All of a sudden there is lots of work. What is up with that? they lay off people because not enough work and now work is overflowing. ...

URGENT: Surfactant Deficiency Disease
Jul 23, 2011

Doc with Indian accent. Dictating a 5 day old pre-term infant with respiratory distress. Sentence is:   Findings consistent with surfactant deficiency disease (s/l) "about the Eleek phenomenon".  ...

Dictaphone ExText - Urgent Assistance Pls!
May 27, 2015

Is Windows 7 Home Premium/Word 2010 compatible with this platform?  They say that Windows 7 Professional/Word 2000, 2003, and 2007 are compatible.  Thanks for your expert assistance!  :)  ...

Another Sad Option For Medical Care Is Charity Care. Work With The People
Nov 06, 2014

...bills. Most Saint hospitals and others actually operate as non-profits, and for what they are screwing us over in taxes unpaid, they can afford to help out folks with their bills and still give their CEOs generous stock options and obscene salaries! But, you have to ask for this after your visit, treatment, x-ray, or ER visit. ASK for help if you need it. It is not our fault that suits are in charge of medical care in this country.  ...

Not Urgent, But Any Ideas On What "TC" Stands For In Trauma Med Dx?
Sep 27, 2012

x ...

It Was A Pleasure To Assist In Ms. **Thomas's Care Or Ms. Thomas' Care". This Gets M
Dec 15, 2009

x ...

Hyphen ... Providing High Quality Care OR High-quality Care
Oct 06, 2011

... providing high quality care OR high-quality care. I did it one way and the dictating NP says it should be the other way.  I have to do it her way but I would appreciate hearing from some fellow MT professionals. Thanks for any input.     ...

Acute Care - What Does Acute Care Consist Of?
Apr 08, 2010

I know this is a really stupid question but, what does acute care consist of?  What types of reports are acute care?  I understand that it is basically emergency type of care or short-term care, but exactly what types of reports would you be transcribing? TIA ...

She Is Unable To Do Her Own Routine "self-care" Or "self Care"?? Thanks! Nm
Mar 25, 2010

x ...

They Don't Care
Aug 16, 2011

How many times do you have to be hit on the head before you realize that THEY DON'T CARE.  MQ is on its own path.  You can write all the letters you want, contact the president, congresspeople, newspapers, TV, etc.  MQ DOES NOT CARE.  You could drop dead in front of their executive offices and they would just step over you.  THEY DON'T CARE!  The only thing that will ever turn this around is if hospitals refuse to accept off-shore work but considering the ...

MDs Don't Care, So Why Should We?
Sep 02, 2011

There you are, sittin at your desk, slammin your head into yet another mumbled dictation, desperately trying to divine the meaning of the muttering, frantically googling, stedman's open on your lap, cursing all foreign doctors everywhere, and then you get it! After ten minutes of listening intently, tilting your head to one side, pressing the headphones tighter, slowing down the incoherent ramblings, you finally figured it out. Feel proud afterwards right? Well, maybe you shouldn't. ...

Q-Care Help, Please
Mar 05, 2012

Can someone help  me, please? I thought I was organized, but realize I can't get into Q-care. Is that somethiing I was supposed to set up separately? I've tried everything and it says "error." I've tried my Ultipro password, e-mail address, Team Work password, everything. I'm one of those who was sort of "thrown in" during the takeover and had very little free time to set everything up. Just when you  think you're organized...   ...

I Don't Care
Jul 31, 2014

GW has got to be one of the sloppiest dictators I have ever had the displeasure to do. Chews while dictating, smacks his lips, mumbles his words ... I could go on and on, but you get the message. ...

I Just Don't Care Any More
Aug 07, 2014

FIESA and its humiliating and debasing scores, micromanagment, a bitchy supervisor, crap dictators, have all contributed to my feeling of just not caring any more.  I clock in, do my time, and clock out.  I know that my work is good and that my QA is much higher than FIASCO says it is, but I just don't care anymore. I am one of the older workers, and I have this feeling that NUisANCE is trying to get me to quit.  Well, guess what?  They're not going to win.  I& ...

I Used To Care
Oct 23, 2014

I worked for Medquist 7 years ago.  I hated it.  I found another job at a company that I loved.  Worked there for a couple of years until the dreaded announcement that they had been acquired by Medquist.  After suffering from PTSD for a couple of days after hearing that news, i sucked it up.  nothing bad happened for a year or so.  then all the changes began.  again.  again, i sucked it up.  i've always loved being a medical transcription ...

How Do You Get Into Acute Care?
Dec 29, 2009

Alot of the job listings ask for 5+ years in this area, so how do you get into it in the first place? I don't mind starting at the bottom and moving up... But where is the bottom? I had a job with a company but they would not pay me. So now I am trying to look for a job again and not many people wantt o hire someone that does not have alot of experience. So.. How do you get into a specialty?? ...

Do You Care About Incentive
Mar 11, 2010

I work in-house doing radiology transcription, mostly VR.  The pay is hourly and there is no overtime on our job but there is also no incentive.  I'm trying to cut my expenses to have extra money but its tough.  I would like to work an extra few hours to save for vacation/a better running car/other purchases. Is there something wrong when a company does not offer incentive for MTs or should I be "just thankful for having a job when so many people are out of work in ...

Ever Have One Of Those Days Where You Just Do Not Care.
Jul 21, 2010

Just having one of those days where I just don't care anymore, they can just go ahead and fire me. ...