A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

New pathology transcription job, info needed - mamaraeMT

Posted: Jun 28, 2013

I am about to start a new in-house path transcription job for a laboratory. I did transcription for about 6 years up until I quit last spring. My specialties then were ortho and PT, so I have no experience in pathology. The new company is well aware of this and is willing to train and be patient with me learning on the job. Even so, I am so very nervous as I know this is a whole different ballgame with terminology. They do autopsies as well. Are there sites I should read up on or dictionaries that you would recommend to help me become familiar with this field so I'm not driving everybody nuts when I start? Any info provided is so very much appreciated!!!

pathology - love it

[ In Reply To ..]
Try just typing forensic pathology terminology, autopsy terminology, laboratory pathology terminology in google. There are many, many websites. The first 3 or 4 listed in google would probably be the best to chose, but I am sure you will find lots of information, even how they perform the autopsy. Too many to mention here.

mamaraeMT - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Try this site. It is very helpful:

http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/pathterm2/glossary/glossary.htm

I did path for years and loved it. Congratulations on your new job!

did you get my job? - Texas

[ In Reply To ..]
are you the one who got the job I applied for? I didn't even get an interview. I really wanted that job. Congratulations!

(nm) No, Upstate NY. Thank you! - mamaraeMT

[ In Reply To ..]
X

What is different with Pathology (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
Body parts and specimen's come in and are processed by a tech (not the MD) who does the "Gross Report" which is a physical description of the part, as it is sliced and processed. It's usually brief. The tech takes slices of the specimen and sets them in paraffin blocks, then slices those blocks to make slides which are what the doctors took at under the microscope. They then dictate the "Final Report". Sometimes just a "Preliminary Report" if they have do more testing or send it out to another lab.

It is a pretty simple format to follow for these reports.

You may also do Pap smears, so I'd search for Pap and cytology terms. Also if you can find lists of special stains, those can be stumpers. Just get as many sample reports as possible. Pathology is a great one for utilizing expansion software as it is repetitive.

Good luck.

PATHOLOGY JOB - roybrit

[ In Reply To ..]
This is true unless it is a teaching hospital/medical school. I have been working pathology exclusively since 1979. At our hospital, the gross is dictated by Resident/Fellows and some Pathology Assistants. The Microscopic/Final Diagnosis is dictated by the same Residents/Fellows and on rare occassions staff pathologists who are also pathology professors in the medical school.
http://pathology.wustl.edu/

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0781789958
Also as a transcriptionist new to pathology this is the book for you. It is worth buying "Steadman's Pathology & Lab Medicine Words (Includes Histology). This is a great book which includes a good section on stains which you will need to become familar with. PATHOLOGY IS A GREAT FIELD AND VERY INTERESTING. Feel free to contact me with questions roybrit@gmail.com

Path transcription.... - mamaraeMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for the tips and suggestions! I really think I'm going to enjoy it. It's definitely going to be an experience.

Similar Messages:

Pathology Transcription - What Skills Are Needed?
Jun 29, 2010

I've been an acute care transcriptionist for 15 years... can anyone tell me if I qualify for Pathology transcription or is this an acquired skill that needs more schooling? Thanks! ...

Schooling Info Needed.
Jan 27, 2013

I'm am interested in getting into Medical Transcriptionist or a Coder. Can anyone please help me with information regarding a acceptable school or program. Thank you for your help. ...

What Is Pathology Transcription?
Dec 21, 2010

Can anyone explain to me what do you type if you are a pathology MT?  I see many jobs asking for radiology or pathology expereince needed.  I understand what RAD is... I do not know what pathology is typing.  Please explain?  Greatly appreciated! ...

Pathology Transcription - Well Do You Like It?
Feb 06, 2012

Just wondering if anyone out there types pathology reports and, if so, how well do you like it?  Considering a position of strictly pathology dictation.  Thanks. ...

Does MM Do Pathology Transcription?
Jul 20, 2013

Thank you! ...

Info Needed On Medict, LLC, Encompass Or
Nov 20, 2009

Gulf Coast Transcription - Anybody work there or know anything about these companies?  I have received emails from all 3 saying they would call and never heard back....  Been job hunting for a month now - getting discouraged and frustrated.  Looking for IC preferably, but... ...

Pathology And Laboratory Transcription
Dec 24, 2010

I just found a local hospital advertising for a path and lab transcription job and am considering applying, but I've never done that type of transcription.  I've done numerous others, radiology, hospital, surgical, clinic, etc., but it has been a few years as lately I have been doing clinic work only.  Is pathology/laboratory transcription difficult?  I realize it's a matter of opinion and just like all other transcription would take time to adjust.  I'm g ...

Pathology And Radiology Transcription
May 23, 2011

I have been a radiology transcriptionist for about 12 years. I am presently unemployed. I have seen an ad on one of the job sites for a pathology transcriptionist with 1 year experience. My question is how different/difficult is pathology transcription. Should it be something a radiology transcriptionist can do, given I have 15 years experience but 12 in rad work. Do you think it would be something I could pick up without difficulty? Any information and input would be appreciated. I have been ou ...

Does Nuance Do Pathology Transcription?
Jul 20, 2013

Thank you! ...

Pathology Transcription - What Is The Difference?
Apr 10, 2014

Can anybody tell me how different it is typing for a pathology practice versus clinic transcription and hospital transcription? I am considering applying for a pathology transcription position. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance. ...

Info. Needed On Transcriptionists Who Work In The Hospital.
Mar 10, 2010

Hi all, I was just wondering what a transcriptionist in a hospital makes per hour compared to working for a large transcription company at home.  The job I am seeing is for a part time transcriptionist, so I am assuming no benefits would come with it, not sure.  Thanks for any information! ...

Pathology Transcription - Dictation To Practice?
Nov 01, 2009

I am testing for a transcription position within a hospital, but I have never done pathology transcription before only sleep medicine & consultations. Does anyone know where I can download sample pathology dictation to practice before I have to test with them on Thursday. Any help would be appreciated! ...

I Want To Learn Pathology And Radiology Transcription
Jul 23, 2010

Hi, I been working full time in acute care as an IC now for 7 years and I have been noticing the only jobs for transcriptionists left in hospitals or labs is pathology, sometimes but rarely radiology.  How can I go about learning pathology.  I been in acute care my whole career, it can't be that hard to learn after typing acute care non stop for this long.  Any ideas? ...

Info Needed On Using Aircard For Internet Access To Work
Nov 21, 2009

If anyone uses an aircard to connect to the Internet to work daily, I have some questions... Most aircards I have seen have an access limit of up to 5 GB per month. I work online with a constant connection - as I finish one report and send it in, another one is downloaded, so I am probably downloading/uploading 25-40 times a day. Does anyone know if 5 GB is sufficient to do this for 8 hours a day?  If not, what is the cost of the overage. If anyone can suggest another alternativ ...

Info Needed From Anyone Who Reported MTSO For Not Paying Overtime Please.
Oct 17, 2010

What was the process you went through?  I would guess you most likely would contact the labor board.  Was that your state or the state of the MTSO main office?  I would think they would ask for my timesheets, which I have kept.  Did you mail things to an address the labor board gave you and deal with one investigator? What was the outcome of your case?  How long did it take to get the matter resolved and receive your back pay for all the overtime? I know I pr ...

Pathology Transcription - Difference Besides Learning The Format?
Mar 26, 2012

I have 18 years experience in acute care transcription in just about everything except "pathology transcription."  I have done a lot of ops of all kinds, oncology, neurology, cardiology, infectious disease, etc.  Is Pathology transcription that different?  I've done tumor staging, chemo protocols, just about any type of EEG, TEE, cath, radiology, etc.  The reason I'm asking is I saw a job for a "Pathology transcriptionist" and I really believe I'm qualified with my knowledge, ...

Pathology Transcription: Needing Advice On Finding A Job
Jan 27, 2015

Wondering if anyone can offer advice on where PATHOLOGY TRANSCRIPTIONIST jobs can be found - preferably one at home and would really like one that pays by the hour, but would consider one that pays by the line. Thanks for any advice that you might be able to offer. ...

Advice Needed For VR + Regular Transcription
Oct 25, 2009

being paid hourly for VR but also am now doing regular transcription intermingled randomly so hourly pay is becoming "pay by the minute" because 1 report will be VR for a coupla minutes, then the next is regular.  anyone else experiencing this?  if so, are you making any substantial money, can it be done? many thanks, gitarMT ...

Transcription Labels Provider Needed
May 13, 2013

I have been using Forms and Filing systems to order my transcription labels but they have not answered their phone since last week.  Can anyone recommend a company to order 8.5 x 11 size labels from?  Thanks in advance. ...

Family Practice MT Needed For P.R.N. Work - Crystals Home Transcription
Sep 23, 2010

Has anyone applied and heard back from this company today? ...

InfAny Info On Net Med Transcription, All-Write Transcription Or FutureNet Technologies?
Jun 11, 2010

I would appreciate any input anyone may have on these 3 companies. I have tried to find out about them through their local BBB, but only Net Med Transcription has anything on it. Thanks. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

OSi Transcription?? Anyone Have Info?
Jan 14, 2010

Does anyone have any experience/info abotu OSi? It seems like they do a TON of hiring and i'm not sure that it's a good thing. I'm a new MT and want to start out right. Thanks! ...

CLK Transcription Any Info?
Nov 12, 2010

Any info on this company?  I have heard from them and she is rather up front about her workload, etc., but I would like to know if anyone has worked for this company.  The last time I posted about a company, someone said "look elsewhere" and I didn't listen and I should have.  I am now looking elsewhere.  If you want to e-mail me that is fine as well.  Thanks in advance.    ...

Any New Info Regarding Transcription Plus LLC
Dec 31, 2010

I did a search on transcription plus LLC and didn't see much but was wondering if anyone currently works for them and has any positive or negative things to say about this company.  I am considering taking a position with them.    TIA ...

Looking For CLK Transcription Info
Sep 07, 2011

I've looked through the archives, have a couple questions on what I couldn't find... Anyone know what the average TAT is? How's the work, steady/intermittent/rare? Anything else I need to know that you think is important? ...

KJ&M Transcription, Inc Any Info?nm
Jan 10, 2012

x ...

360 Transcription - Any Info
Aug 25, 2013

Any info on this company.  Pay, etc.?  They have 2 very long tests.  It is a waste of my time if they pay bum wages and are a bum company.  Any info would help.  TIA. ...

Any Info On CC Transcription? Sm
Oct 07, 2014

They're looking for ortho help.  But, they have 6 dislikes on the post. ...

Any Info On United Transcription Out Of NC?
Nov 29, 2009

Hi.  Was hoping that someone could give me some information regarding United Transcription out of North Carolina??  Any details would be very much appreciated  ...