A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Pathology transcription - What is the difference? - transcriptionistnc

Posted: Apr 10, 2014

Can anybody tell me how different it is typing for a pathology practice versus clinic transcription and hospital transcription? I am considering applying for a pathology transcription position. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Here you go - see msg pls

[ In Reply To ..]
If you've done a lot of hospital transcription, you can pretty easily pick up pathology. If you've only done clinic, I do not believe it would come as easily.

When I transitioned from hospital (acute care) to pathology, the only things I had trouble with were immunostain terminology and a lot of abbreviation-type stuff that doesn't come up in normal hospital or clinic transcription. Fortunately, I found a website and printed out the various immunostains. As to the abbreviations and things, I did have someone training me on the pathology, and the abbreviations became second nature.

If you have done a lot of oncology and other pathological disorders of the body, which come up a lot in acute care, you are prepared for pathology.

Best of luck to you.

Path MT - ILTOVA

[ In Reply To ..]
Totally agree with everthing you said!

To add something - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
That being said, if one has only done pathology, I do not believe they could transition easily into acute care. Acute care pretty much prepares you for everything. I also transitioned to radiology easily, after having done acute care for so long. Ditto on transitioning from radiology to acute care.

I don't think one could transition easily from clinic only to pathology or radiology.

I'm just saying when I started in Pathology in 1979 - I had not done anything before

[ In Reply To ..]
was fresh out of the military with no medical experience whatsoever and I made the transition quite well. There may be a bit of a learning curve, but I believe we can all "transition" and/or learn whatever we need to. Just my opinion.

As someone who has done pathology exclusively for 35 years - it would be hard for me to compare

[ In Reply To ..]
I will say the people I have trained who have done other MT has made a smooth transition. There is a lot of repetition in pathology. Immunostains and a Genomics terminology would be the most difficult. If you've done MT you could definite make the transition just expect a bit of a learning curve. I love pathology and it seems to be the only stable MT jobs now as they are almost always inhouse. Will tou be doing autopsies as well?

Pathology not so stable - zigzag

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked in pathology for a hospital that is owned by Ascension health -- they have hospitals all over the country. Well, guess what?? Yep, they got VR and we were out of jobs. They decided the doctors could edit and charge their own reports -- as we had to put codes on them also. So, really nothing is safe -- but to get out this business entirely.

Sorry but I disagree - It depends on the facility

[ In Reply To ..]
Our hospital is undergoing restructuring including building a totally new clinical and surgical laboratory. As a result we will be recruiting for 2 new pathology MTs. the have tried VR and our staff pathologists HATED IT. Fortunately our hospital has to answer to the medical school and the pathologists are employed by the med school and what they want goes a long way. It really does depend on the situation. They have tried various forms of VR and have been instructed to not attempt to use any more.
Good for you, but that does not warrant - recommending it.
[ In Reply To ..]
Your place is an anomaly.

We are affiliated with a medical school, too, and our pathologists very cheerfully canned their MTs. They like their front-end system just fine. Same in Radiology.
I'm just respectfully asking,no offense meant but - the original poster was asking
[ In Reply To ..]
how it compares to clinical and/or hospital transcription. It sounds like its a given she's already doing one,the best recommendation would be that she get out altogether, but if asked should she stay with what she has or apply for the pathology MT, what would you advice be? Your comment seems adversarial which is not my intent. I consider myself put in my place for describing my situation.
I think Pathology would be one of the last to go (sm) - Rose
[ In Reply To ..]
Pathology MTs are almost always in-house because they have so many other duties they are responsible for such as phones, preparing slides sent out for consult, backing up staining for cytology, logging in specimens and report distribution. If you look at the job boards you will often see ads now for pathology transcriptionists. I think they would be one of the last specialties to outsource.
Not in our lab - We are lucky I guess
[ In Reply To ..]
And we do none of those things. We have a clerical department, an accessioning department, lab assistants to help with staining in histology and cytotech assistants to help in cytology. We don't even take calls for results, as the clerical staff does that. We also have a consult department for working with those. We do straight transcription and there are 10 of us. We have an opening soon as one of us is retiring after 45 years at this same hospital. I've only been her 22 years and most of us has been here at least15 years

Similar Messages:

Pathology Transcription - Difference Besides Learning The Format?
Mar 26, 2012

I have 18 years experience in acute care transcription in just about everything except "pathology transcription."  I have done a lot of ops of all kinds, oncology, neurology, cardiology, infectious disease, etc.  Is Pathology transcription that different?  I've done tumor staging, chemo protocols, just about any type of EEG, TEE, cath, radiology, etc.  The reason I'm asking is I saw a job for a "Pathology transcriptionist" and I really believe I'm qualified with my knowledge, ...

Difference In Pay For SR Vs Transcription
Mar 13, 2013

I've only done straight transcription in the past and just got hired by a company who apparently does both SR and transcription...can anyone give me info on their experiience as far as if I will make the same amount doing editing for SR as I would transcribing?  Looking at 0.04 cpl is a bit dauntiing.  I type really fast and it almost seems like I could straight transcribe a dictation at 0.08 cpl as fast as I could edit one at 0.04...just wondering about anyone else's experie ...

What Is Pathology Transcription?
Dec 21, 2010

Can anyone explain to me what do you type if you are a pathology MT?  I see many jobs asking for radiology or pathology expereince needed.  I understand what RAD is... I do not know what pathology is typing.  Please explain?  Greatly appreciated! ...

Pathology Transcription - Well Do You Like It?
Feb 06, 2012

Just wondering if anyone out there types pathology reports and, if so, how well do you like it?  Considering a position of strictly pathology dictation.  Thanks. ...

Does MM Do Pathology Transcription?
Jul 20, 2013

Thank you! ...

Pathology And Laboratory Transcription
Dec 24, 2010

I just found a local hospital advertising for a path and lab transcription job and am considering applying, but I've never done that type of transcription.  I've done numerous others, radiology, hospital, surgical, clinic, etc., but it has been a few years as lately I have been doing clinic work only.  Is pathology/laboratory transcription difficult?  I realize it's a matter of opinion and just like all other transcription would take time to adjust.  I'm g ...

Pathology And Radiology Transcription
May 23, 2011

I have been a radiology transcriptionist for about 12 years. I am presently unemployed. I have seen an ad on one of the job sites for a pathology transcriptionist with 1 year experience. My question is how different/difficult is pathology transcription. Should it be something a radiology transcriptionist can do, given I have 15 years experience but 12 in rad work. Do you think it would be something I could pick up without difficulty? Any information and input would be appreciated. I have been ou ...

Does Nuance Do Pathology Transcription?
Jul 20, 2013

Thank you! ...

Pathology Transcription - Dictation To Practice?
Nov 01, 2009

I am testing for a transcription position within a hospital, but I have never done pathology transcription before only sleep medicine & consultations. Does anyone know where I can download sample pathology dictation to practice before I have to test with them on Thursday. Any help would be appreciated! ...

Pathology Transcription - What Skills Are Needed?
Jun 29, 2010

I've been an acute care transcriptionist for 15 years... can anyone tell me if I qualify for Pathology transcription or is this an acquired skill that needs more schooling? Thanks! ...

I Want To Learn Pathology And Radiology Transcription
Jul 23, 2010

Hi, I been working full time in acute care as an IC now for 7 years and I have been noticing the only jobs for transcriptionists left in hospitals or labs is pathology, sometimes but rarely radiology.  How can I go about learning pathology.  I been in acute care my whole career, it can't be that hard to learn after typing acute care non stop for this long.  Any ideas? ...

New Pathology Transcription Job, Info Needed
Jun 28, 2013

I am about to start a new in-house path transcription job for a laboratory. I did transcription for about 6 years up until I quit last spring. My specialties then were ortho and PT, so I have no experience in pathology. The new company is well aware of this and is willing to train and be patient with me learning on the job. Even so, I am so very nervous as I know this is a whole different ballgame with terminology. They do autopsies as well. Are there sites I should read up on or dictionaries th ...

Pathology Transcription: Needing Advice On Finding A Job
Jan 27, 2015

Wondering if anyone can offer advice on where PATHOLOGY TRANSCRIPTIONIST jobs can be found - preferably one at home and would really like one that pays by the hour, but would consider one that pays by the line. Thanks for any advice that you might be able to offer. ...

There Must Be A Lot Of Difference In VR For
Oct 17, 2010

I have never been able to run much above 150 lph average doing VR for my company.  It is so horrid, I can usually type it quicker.  I cannot even imagine how anybody is doing 400-500 lph average.  Just pulling in the jobs, listening through patient information, filling in date of service, consulting physicians and such, fixing the ASR dictation and uploading the job -- there is no way on this earth it will ever happen at my company.  I need a new job apparently.  ...

What Is The Difference In Pay Between A T3 And A T4?
Apr 08, 2014

I did not realize there was even a T4 level with MModal.  Just noticed it in an e-mail today.  Thanks ...

What's The Difference Between TSM And TS
Jul 12, 2014

Anyone? ...

Pathology MTs
Oct 28, 2009

Are there any Pathology MTs out there? Can I ask who you work for? ...

Pathology Help, Please - SM
Dec 23, 2014

Received fresh, and placed into formalin fixative, the specimen is labeled "left breast biopsy", and consists of a rounded, somewhat *, egg-shaped mass, 4.3 x 2.9 x 2.4 cm.  The cut surface has a somewhat fish-flesh appearance, with frequent ** areas.  No hemorrhage or necrosis is seen.    *s/l "boscillated" or "vahsillated" **s/l "cletid" or "klepted"  Any help appreciated :)   ...

New Pathology MT
Mar 13, 2015

I JUST STARTED WORKING A PATHOLOGY TRANSCRIPTIONIST, I WAS LET GO FROM MY PREVIOUS JOB THAT I WORKED AT FOR 14 YEARS. HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THAT THE TRAINING FOR FLUENCY WAS A JOKE, THEY GAVE ME THIS MANUEL TO READ. I DO NOT LEARN THAT WAY AND MY PC WAS NOT REALLY HELPFUL. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAS THIS SAME PROBLEM? AND SHE IS NO NIT-PICKY ABOUT STUPID ERRORS THAT I HAVE BEEN DOING WITH THIS ACCOUNT FOR YEARS.  ...

MM Pathology
May 13, 2015

Anyone working pathology department for MM?  Wondering what your eperience is working for many pathologists and accounts, and anything else you can elaborate on in this department.  Thanks.  ...

Seeing No Difference With Upgrade To 6.1
Sep 27, 2010

Is it just me or my region but the only difference I have seen in the upgrade is the doctor's data base and being able to number with the numbering function.  I have yet to see the headings column come up on the left with a job or have the option on the top that says "type headings as dictated."  When I try to use the alt-H for inserting headers it it is still coming up in the middle of the screen and it is not showing, "client preferred headings."  Pretty much anything that ...

Maybe The Difference Is Some Of Us Dont See Ourselves
Jan 22, 2011

treated as such. If you do nothing to change a bad situation, the bad situation will never change.  But I guess some, like my DS, thrive on the drama of poor me, I can do nothing to help myself, please feel sorry for me.  And others, like me, hate drama, hate being treated bad, and refuse to stand by and let it continue.  I will not let a MTSO rule my life to the point of draining my bank account, monopolizing my time and stomping on my self esteem. Why would I stay in a situation ...

Would It Make A Difference To You As An MT If Your...
Jul 20, 2011

CEO, COO, President, etc., came to you and said that management was taking a pay cut along with you?  Has anyone ever been told that their office staff or other support personnel have been doing without raises or taking pay cut with the bad economy?  Do they have mandatory reduction in hours when things are slow as there is no money coming in?  I'm just curious how much the nature of the beast affects everybody in a company versus the MTs and what the reasoning is.  Why ...

Difference Between MT Statuses
Aug 04, 2011

What is the difference between being an independent contractor, subcontractor and employee in medical transcription.  I'm now PT employee at MQ and looking.  Which would be the best status to be searching for?  Hope someone can help me understand this.  Thanks. ...

Unsure Of What Is The Difference
Sep 29, 2011

What would be the difference in being a coder in a  physician's clinic, insurance company, mental health facility or home health facility. Which setting would provide the most interesting work, the easiest, the least time-consuming? ...

Wmx - What's The Difference Between Native And New?
Oct 04, 2011

Hadn't used New version all that long (months?) before we switched back to Native.  I honestly do not see a difference between the two besides native having an ugly font.  Clue me in as to why the switch back, and what's the difference?  Thanks. ...

What Is An Easy Way To Tell The Difference Between These Two?
Mar 23, 2012

Procyte and Prosight I know that Prosight is a multivitamin.  I found both on WebMD's drugs and meds A-Z.  There was no information on Procyte.  It was just listed as Procyte Top.  I was not aware that there was a Procyte until earlier today.  The doctor dictated "And be careful you use the correct one, but I am unsure of the spelling."  That confused me a bit, so I did some research and the only place that I found any mention of Procyte was on WebMD.  An ...

Difference Between IC And Employee - S/m
Jul 21, 2012

Job hunting -:( not fun.  I see some places paying 8 and 4 cpl, seems to be the going rate but my question is - some places are IC and some have employee status.  Other than the obvious benefits, why would you want to be an IC?  I was self-employed with my husband years ago and it was a nightmare.  Had to pay $5000 for self-employment tax just to begin with.   Thanks for any info ! ...

What Is The Difference Between Tier 2 & 3?
Feb 02, 2013

Hey everyone, I am in the process of applying for a home based MT position, but i am wondering what the difference is between Tier 2 & 3. Thanks so much for any assistance you all can offer! ...

Need An Answer As To The Difference Between
Sep 19, 2014

using numberical 2 and Roman II, was told was between types and conditions of disease. Am confused, can you help? ...