A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Advice needed for VR + regular transcription - gitarMT

Posted: Oct 25, 2009

being paid hourly for VR but also am now doing regular transcription intermingled randomly so hourly pay is becoming "pay by the minute" because 1 report will be VR for a coupla minutes, then the next is regular. 

anyone else experiencing this?  if so, are you making any substantial money, can it be done?

many thanks,

gitarMT

Are you new at doing VR? - Questions

[ In Reply To ..]
The reason I am asking, I along with others were paid hourly when starting VR and once VR in place, then changed over to the pay per line for VR. I also have straight and VR both (mostly VR) and yes, average between $18.00 and $20.00 per hour for 8 hour day.

Yes new to this particular program... - gitarMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for WMX when they first started VR and lost about 200 dollars a month consistently for about 6 months so finally had to leave there. Their program was excellent though in my opinion. Just didn't want to pay, which is now the norm for almost every company it seems.

Do you bounce between regular and VR say for every other report, and if so how do you gain any momentum?

The majority of mine is VR but - Questions

[ In Reply To ..]
also have the straight and although I like the VR loads better, I do both VR and straight as fast as I can go. Guess I have the drive as soon as time to go to work. What do you mean by they didn̢۪t want to pay, you mean per line or the company not wanting to pay their employees?
Answer - gitarMT
[ In Reply To ..]
- "didn't want to pay" as in we are now making lower wages guided by overseas, rather than a normal progression of making more money at a job for longevity/experience, etc, etc. Using VR is a way to lower pay in my opinion because I don't really see production going up for the majority of average MTs. Rather than making 12 cents/line I made some 16 years ago, average seems to be around 6, 7, and even far less for VR.

Kind of ridiculous when you think about it. Rather, we should be at probably 18 to 20 cents/line by now.

My only hope is eventually the overseas MTs are going to start to demand more money and if they did they would be very close with now to making MORE than we do. Too funny...

Similar Messages:

Pathology Transcription - What Skills Are Needed?
Jun 29, 2010

I've been an acute care transcriptionist for 15 years... can anyone tell me if I qualify for Pathology transcription or is this an acquired skill that needs more schooling? Thanks! ...

Transcription Labels Provider Needed
May 13, 2013

I have been using Forms and Filing systems to order my transcription labels but they have not answered their phone since last week.  Can anyone recommend a company to order 8.5 x 11 size labels from?  Thanks in advance. ...

New Pathology Transcription Job, Info Needed
Jun 28, 2013

I am about to start a new in-house path transcription job for a laboratory. I did transcription for about 6 years up until I quit last spring. My specialties then were ortho and PT, so I have no experience in pathology. The new company is well aware of this and is willing to train and be patient with me learning on the job. Even so, I am so very nervous as I know this is a whole different ballgame with terminology. They do autopsies as well. Are there sites I should read up on or dictionaries th ...

Family Practice MT Needed For P.R.N. Work - Crystals Home Transcription
Sep 23, 2010

Has anyone applied and heard back from this company today? ...

Regular MT Vs. MQ ASR
Feb 03, 2010

I'm curious about something - maybe it's because when I started doing MT, it was straight typing.  I've only been doing ASR 2.5 years. Has anyone noticed if they're more accurate when doing regular typing than they are with ASR?  I have.  I rarely make mistakes with straight typing but sure can have a lot of typos, duplicate words or whatever pop up on the ASR.  Plus, as an added benefit with regular MT, whenever the dictator pauses, I close my eyes for ...

Pulse DT And Regular??
Mar 01, 2011

I'm trying to figure out what this doctor means. He's dictating the vitals signs and says "pulse DT and regular." He's clearly saying "DT" (not "DP" or "PT"),  but I can't reference it anywhere.  Any help? Thanks :)     ...

Heart, Regular Rate...
Jan 18, 2010

dictated" heart regular rate and rhythm, no s/l octopi noted? i dont think she's talking about an octopus!! ...

Open Enrollment For FT Regular
Apr 29, 2011

I got an email about open enrollment for PT flex, PT limited and and  FT limited.  Well, what about FT regular?  Why does everything have to be so long and drawn out and complicated with this company.   I just want the darn information! ...

Does Anybody Work Standing Up On The Regular?...
Jul 08, 2013

I've been standing up at my counter, working... I think I'll like it once my feet get used to it.  I was wondering if anyone's tried it and was able to keep it going.  I know it's supposed to be easier on the body than sitting 8-10 hours a day, but it does take some getting used to! ...

If You Run Out Of Work During Your Regular Hours
Nov 05, 2014

Do you work or do you not? ...

The Patient's Regular Physician Is Dr. Pepper.
Jul 26, 2010

x ...

Just Curious..how Many Of You Run Out Of Work On A Regular Basis?
Dec 09, 2014

They are pulling all of the coding students to do HDS work for 2 pay periods because volumes are out of control.  ...

Has Anyone Gotten Their Regular Monthly Bonus As A Separate Check IF It Were Over $100?
Oct 26, 2009

Down below someone said it only comes as a separate check if it is over $100. Mine have always been in the 120 to 150 range and I have gotten a separate check.  But for the past 2 months, nothing.   CCM has no idea what is up.  Just wondering if anyone's bonus if over $100 came, as usual, as a separate check.   TIA ...

Mail Perge. Forward To Your Regular Email
Sep 18, 2010

FYI:  If there are any emails you need to save for reference before the perge, go into that email, hit forward, and send to your personal email.  ...

Lab Values - Convert Decimals To Regular Number
Mar 14, 2011

Sorry, my math really sucks and I can't seem to find a site that will 'convert' decimals to regular numbers.  If a patient's lab test reads as 23.0 and the doctor dictates it as 23,000 are these both correct ways of putting it?  Also had absolute segment coung of 17.48 that was dictated as 17, 480 and bands of 0.23 that were dictated as 230.  If these are just other ways of expressing the same number and are all correct, great- I just want to be sure that is the case.  I ...

Usual Line Counts? (regular Typing)
May 27, 2011

What is your usual daily line count?  How many hours is that in?  Not VR, editing, anything funky - just straight typing.  Just curious... Thanks!!! ...

I Get Regular Emails For MT Job Listings....I Find It Perplexing That
Aug 21, 2013

M-Modal has a current job opening listing for PART TIME MTs (there is a separate listing for FT ones too). WTH is up with that? I mean, I myself was planning on giving my notice soon enough to this crappy company and actually was glad I was laid off instead of quitting...at least now I am eligible for unemployment until I find another job....but really, WTH? It's not an old listing, has TODAY's date on it. What is the reasoning? ...

I Was Getting A Great Line Count, But Now I Am On My Regular Accounts.
Aug 01, 2014

Just shoot me now. I had some great accounts that are outside my area coming in. Unfortunately, now my regular accounts are showing up and my count is taking its usual dive. Bad audio, crummy output. And the compliance coach thinks it is me that has the problem??? Performance coach was performance managing me for "failing" audits, i.e. getting 99.65%. Now she is our compliance coach, so I am getting informed that my line count is teetering just below the requirement. I let her know that ...

How Much Is A Terabyte When Comparing To A Regular Audio File? In Hours?
Apr 09, 2013

how much is a terabyte when comparing to a regular audio file?  How much shoud I charge? ...

OB/GYN Help Needed....
Dec 12, 2009

This patient is in for cold symptoms.  First assessment listed is:  Pregnancy via in vitro fertilization - doc goes on to dictate what s/l Patient is D G 2 P-0-0-1-0 Not familiar with the way this is done and not sure if I'm typing that correctly, can anyone help?  Thanks!     ...

Lab Help Needed
Feb 09, 2011

I am typing a new doctor.  He said FBS is 150.  ACBA1C is 5.9.  Blood sugars are about 150.  I know the A1C part, but was it ACB.  He does not take a break, but runs ACBA1C together.  Any help appreciated. ...

This Is Why We Are Needed
Jun 29, 2013

Work Needed
Nov 18, 2009

I was informed that some companies will train you, or fund your education, and then you work for them. Is this true? What are the companies? I am really interested in becoming a MT. ...

Insight Needed
Jan 15, 2010

I have been reading your posts for sometime now and I can’t  imagine how much this field has changed for some of you who are veterans.  I have been considering going to Career Step through a partnership program they have with Fayetville Technical Community College. I would like some insight from those who are MT’s.  I do not expect to make the salary I am making now working in the legal field but what I am looking for (besides wanting to get away from lawyer ...

Experience Needed
Feb 05, 2010

Can someone please help me in finding out how I gain experience in medical transcribing.  I have completed a career diploma program from Brighton College.  Received a 3.945 gpa.  If it wasn't for the fact that I love learning I would think gaining an education is a waste of time. Thanks for any input. ...

Expertise Needed
May 20, 2010

Hi any help would be so much appreciated! I am thinking of going into MT. I have done a lot of research, some (well more than some) is negative as far as gaining employment, but then there are the positive comments. This is something that I really want to do, so I am going for it.. Can anyone please tell me if it would benefit me at all to get an AAS in Medical Transcription or would I be wasting my time and money. It is costly.   Thank you in advance to anyone who could help me out.. & ...

As If I Needed More Proof
May 21, 2010

You know, we hear tales, hope they're not true, but now I believe that the evil Q is intentionally sabotaging our work! I've been on 100% QA for failing my audit.  Yesterday I was being audited again, was aware of it and was working e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y carefully, very conscious and aware of everything I was doing.  My production was down a bit, but my accuracy was spot on!   As we all know, they audit 5 reports and average out the score.  My accuracy was 9 ...

This Is Why MTs Will Always Be Needed In Some Fashion
Jun 24, 2010

Dictated: A 69 year old man with history of hypertension, diabetes... type 2 diabetes and dyslipidemia, admitted with sudden onset....admitted with subacute onset of ascites... of ascites and jaundice.....with subacute onset of progressive ascites and jaundice.  Imaging..... no, say,  Reason for consultation is a 69 year old man admitted with hypoglycemia in a setting of a .... 69 year old man witih history of type 2 diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia, admitted with persistent hypog ...

Website Needed
Sep 15, 2010

I came across a website this past summer from someone that posted on MTstars and cannot find it again.  It stated that if you were a graduate from another school you could still take some courses or mentoring from them to beef up your resume.  Please, if you know what I am talking about, let me know what it was.  This is driving me nuts!!! ...

Medication Help Needed!
Nov 19, 2010

Sounds like LATROLOSE for a medication.  The only PMH given is that the pt has a history of alcoholism.  The only thing I can find that comes close is Lactulose and I'm pretty sure that isn't it. ...