A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Looking for CLK Transcription Info - anon

Posted: Sep 07, 2011

I've looked through the archives, have a couple questions on what I couldn't find...

Anyone know what the average TAT is? How's the work, steady/intermittent/rare?

Anything else I need to know that you think is important?

Pay rate way too low. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you really want to do general transcription, do some research on companies. There are many companies who will pay more for inexperienced transcriptionists (usually $40-50 starting out). At $21 per audio hour, you will make next to nothing, especially if multiple speakers. Don't waste your time.

Thank you, but.. - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm still looking for answers to my original questions.

And if you know the name of a GT company that will pay $40-50, I'd love to hear it. Haven't been able to find one myself.

OP, have you done general transcription of - focus groups or round tables?

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm only asking because if you have, you would totally understand why it's not acceptable to accept $21 an a/h. I will not do anything focus group or round table related for under $60 an a/h ($1/min) - much more ($2.50/min +) for more than 4 speakers. Those companies are out there. There is a board for general/legal transcription that will give you a wealth of insight, information and the current rates for what types of transcription, as well as job leads.

Don't sell yourself short - the money CLK is advertising is not worth it and all it does is enable CLK to keep ripping off transcriptionists, new and old!

Best of luck to you!

Actually you asked for anything else important. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
To me, pay is at the top of my list when evaluating companies. For those that are not familiar with GT or have never transcribed multiple speakers, I personally think it important to note that this pay is rock bottom. Only know of one other company that pays this low.

I agree with the other poster. Check out forums specifically for general transcriptionists. I would post links to them, but I think that is prohibited. There is one big one that posts job links regularly of companies that are hiring and many pay much more than this one is advertising.

If you decide to proceed, wish you the best of luck, but I would seriously keep my eye open for other opportunities as they are out there.
CLK Transcription - CLK Transcription
[ In Reply To ..]
First, nice to know people ask the right questions. If you would like any information on my company see LinkedIn, FB, or even Twitter. (BTW my handle on twitter is CLK_Shortcake and I am not the shortcake who responded here.) As for rates - I have been there and done that, listened to others say what should be made, but then again, in this economy money is money and not everyone is a true IC. Ask these same people where they are working and how often they have work before you concern yourself with how much someone is paying if you are not interested yourself in the position. I am battling the off shore work and despise that process immensely. I have seasoned and newbie ICs working for me for 6 or more years, have grown into their own accounts which I have referred them to, or have given recommendations for if they earned it with their work. I am not asking for someone to only work with me - I am looking for people who want to work. Newbies are great, and if you think anyone out there is hiring newbies with no experience and paying 50 an hour - you are not only lying to yourself, but to those you are speaking to. My company is cooperating with MT schools and they have even found that if you cant type non-medical - not general - transcription, you can hardly type medical and many have found just because they can type medical using templates and protocols, they can hardly type non-medical. I am growing with new referrals of work daily. I have the work and keep people busy, whether they work one day a week, one file a day, or ten files a day. Typical TAT is 12 to 24 hours for 30 minutes or more of audio and 85 percent of my work is one on one interviews. I hope this helps answer some of your questions. Yes, the rate is 21 per audio hour to start. If you can get other steady daily work for more, I am so happy for you. I am proud of the American Transcriptionist and do everything I can to keep the work here. High-balling prices will not do that. Asking a doctor to pay 14 cents a line now when he can send it over seas for 4 is not getting you work. Getting the work for whatever it pays and proving yourself and then getting more money is what will keep the jobs here and you working. The same can be said for non-medical work. Go to guru.com and other sites - people are paying 25 cents per audio minute and no more for experienced people. I am a client, could be your only client, and I expect nothing but your best and work to make that better. Again, check me out - thoroughly - as you should with any person you plan on contracting for. Thanks and have a wonderful day in this wonderful world of transcription. Thanks for listening. CLK is the fastest growing freelance journalist preferred transcription company in the nation because we work with them and their budgets - it keeps us working without a slow period all year round. Are you someone who can handle it?
I have no need to lie... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Believe what you will. I personally think you are taking advantage of people that don't know better or your work isn't as great as you think it is. Otherwise, you could certainly be charging your clients more to cover the cost of paying your transcriptionists a decent wage and still be turning a good profit.
sm - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
While I did ask if there was anything else I needed to know, I did also read the ad. The pay rate for entry level is obviously stated, so I didn't think that needed to be discussed. =]

Yes, I have done GT before. Not much, but I've done it. One one-on-one interview and one with four interviewers with one interviewee. I did those a year ago. Offhand, I don't remember how long completion took, but it wasn't an outrageous amount of time. The pay was close to what is being offered here.

Now, while I appreciate your concern, we come from two different perspectives. For you, pay is at the top of your list. Most likely, you have the education and experience to back up your desired pay rate. You might also have the type of lifestyle that can afford a set schedule. Me? Not so much.

What matters to me the most right now is scheduling flexibility and the experience I can garner. I think perhaps you are laboring under the assumption that I 1)have a fair amount of experience, 2)can be gainfully employed as an MT, and 3)income is my determining factor when seeking employment. Those factors do not apply to me at this point in time. Do I hope to someday have enough experience, the appropriate education, and the space in my day to select a higher paying opportunity? I sure do. However, in order to go there, I have to get there. This can be a means to that end and/or many ends.

Another way to look at it: Would you tell the 16-year-old who is looking for his first job to hold out for the $12-14/hour supervisor position at the local retailer instead of taking the $8 cashier position for which he is actually qualified?

I guess I just wouldn't dissuade someone from a job because I thought the pay scale was beneath my own personal expectations.

Incidentally, I still cannot find a GT company who has a stated offer $40-50 for entry level and is actively hiring. Please feel free to email me the information you have. I do have an active list that I pulled from a forum a while ago and continue to search for additions. Believe you me, I am not just starting out on this road. I reviewed 7 companies today in 10 minutes (all I had time for—there’s more I can do but later, not now), and here’s the break down for you: 1 company is global and offshores; 1 company is not hiring; 2 companies are accepting applications and tests, will contact you (maybe); 3 companies require 3 years min experience. Of those 3 companies, 1 requires a BA in English/Journalism, and the other requires min 4 hours/day, 5 days a week.

So what̢۪s a gal to do?
You need to take into consideration - JS
[ In Reply To ..]
that when these extremely low-paying entry-level positions are accepted, it actually plays a huge role in effectively lowering the pay scale of more experienced transcriptionsts. It also plays a huge role in ending job security for the more experienced, as these companies will fire the higher-paid and take on several entry-level workers instead.

People need to start valuing their worth. There is no reason whatsoever that anyone in this line of work should be making less than minimum wage (btw... this offer of $21/audio hour equals roughly 0.035 cpl). If people eventually want to make money in this career, people may want to reconsider, as it can be damaging to your future earning potential and job security.

Again, there is no reason whatsoever for a company to offer less than minimum wage pay. It's shameful.
[ In Reply To ..]
I am not hiring anyone. I am utilizing ICs who want a client - for some their first client. If you are talking about job security then you are not an IC. You are an employee with no benefits. I certainly hope none of those posting here are any of the 439 ICs who have responded to accept assignments. Sine there weren't that many more that viewed the post in the first place, it seems odd. This is an IC position to accept assignments from a client. The rate is starting rate. You know nothing else about the role of IC for my company. There is no testing. You either work it or you don't. You can now go back to your regular daily posting about how you have no work. My team is busy working and unable to reply here. Have a great day.
The fact that you are hiring IC - JS
[ In Reply To ..]
at a cpl roughly equivalent to 0.035 cpl... I repeat 0.035 cpl... is even more insulting seeing as how up until recently an IC would make slightly MORE per line than a FT employee. It doesn't matter whether it is FT employee vs IC... if the starting offer drops and these rates are accepted, the top pay scale will subsequently fall as well. Also, companies will stop using the services of higher-paid higher-experienced ICs and opt for the lower-paid ones.

Keep sugar coating this all you would like. It doesn't change the fact that you are taking advantage of those who are new to this field.

And while you are so busy trying to sugar coat your offer and promote your company, how about telling what the top pay rate is for those in your company you consider experienced?
I get where you are coming from... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I have been there. My lifestyle does not allow a schedule either, which is why I have always been an IC. I have been a newbie trying to find that first client. I understand how it feels and how frustrating it is. Even as a newbie though, I did my research into my new business and understood what the market value was for the service I was offering.

If you wish to devalue yourself and your skills because of a lack of self-confidence, then go ahead. I wish you well. But I do feel for newbies who are being preyed upon. That is the only reason I spoke up in the first place. It was not just for you, but for anyone else reading this board that may not have a clue what the going rates are. I hate to see someone being taken advantage of.

Also, your analogy does not work. In your analogy, the teenager is at least getting fair pay for a job done. This lady is offering pay that is way below fair value and that would work out to be less than minimum wage. I did not tell you to hold out for the $100/audio hour jobs that are out there. I told you that if you accept this work to continue looking as there are much better companies out there willing to pay a decent rate.

Again, I wish you well in whatever you decide.

$40-50 per what? - Curious...nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

$40 to $50 per audio hour - - not typing time.

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Per audio hour. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
General transcription companies typically pay per audio hour. It takes an average transcriptionist 3-4 hours to transcribe an hour of dictation (more if multiple speakers speaking over each other). So $21 per audio hour, would be about $5-7 per hour worked. When I started in transcription, I worked for a company paying $40 an audio hour. Luckily, it was only one speaker, but I had to look up a lot of terminology as it was transcribing college lectures with a lot of terminology I was unfamiliar with. At $40 an audio hour, I averaged $10-12 per hour worked. For multiple speakers, I wouldn't take anything less than $60 per audio hour.

I have done GT in the past for a production company - shortcake

[ In Reply To ..]
in NYC from my home, FedEx tapes, typed in Word and emailed back for $100 per audio hour and would not do it for much less than that. It is very tedius work and with multiple speakers it can get challenging. Sorry, not familiar with CLK but would not work for what they are offering, just not worth your time and effort.

Indeed very low pay - Do the math

[ In Reply To ..]
Regular medical transcription the rule of thumb is 20 minutes of dictation per hour and 10 lines of transcription per minute of dictation. So 20 minutes should be right around 200 lines. And at what seems to be the average line rate these days of maybe 8 cpl that would be $16 per hour.

Soooooo... 60 minutes, aka 1 hour, of dictation with one speaker should take roughly 3 hours to transcribe for a total of roughly $48.

Thus, CLK offering $21 (or there about) for 1 hour of dictation with multiple speakers, which WILL take longer than 3 hours to type, is at VERY best $7 an hour. Multiple speakers back and forth... probably 5 hours to do 60 minutes and thus 4.25 an hour.

CLK Transcription - rgcox

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been with CLK for three years. The pay is fair, the work flow steady. WIth CLK you are an Independent Contractor - you own your own business. How much you work, how often your work depends on your attitude and goals. CLK will train and guide you and do everything possible to assist you in making your business as successful as you want it to be. But CLK cannot do it for you. You have to have the desire and perserverance within yourself. If you are looking for a get rich quick scheme this is not the place to look. You will earn every penny. I've read some of the responses accusing CLK of pathetic pay. Not true. You are paid commensurate to ability, availability, and willingness to learn and succeed. The better you become at your job the more you are paid - just as it is with any career. To all the grumblers out there I'd like to remind you that ditch diggers, grave diggers, well diggers, and it might seem gold diggers begin at the top. Getting paid more than you are worth is some kind of digger but I haven't found a word to describe it yet. My suggestion is that you put your big girl panties on and WORK, LEARN,and SUCCEED. CLK can help you succeed but not if you are keeping yourself busy looking for the easy way to get paid for doing nothing and knowing nothing. have a good evening and good luck with your digging.

I have pulled on my big girl panties... - I know my worth.

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not looking to get rich from this career, but I do expect to get paid fairly. If you have been doing this type of work for years, then you should know $21 per audio hour is well below fair market value and you are devaluing yourself. Maybe you are the one that should put on the big girl panties and tell clients like this that you are worth more. If you truly treat this as your business, then you should be doing research and know what the market is like. I have done transcription for many years and my lowest paying contract for subcontracted work was $45 for a single speaker, more for multiple, and I had a 1-week TAT.

Glad you like working for CLK, but I do find it funny that she comes to an MT board to advertise. Why not advertise on the many GT boards where she would be more likely to get experienced non-medical transcriptionists? Oh, because they would know $21/audio hour is too low.

[ In Reply To ..]
I advertise here because newbies are directed here and I want to encourage them and not dissuade them from this business. I hate off shoring and the only way we will get the work back is to earn it and work it hard. Fortunately I have been able to pull many accounts from over seas and will work daily to do it even more. The newbies want the experience but no one will bring them on. I do. They take classes, they pay thousands and then can't find work, and come here and get fed a load that is a real mouthful. There is money in this business. You have to earn it. You keep harping on my rate but again, that is for the first few files. I will not pay anyone top dollar to have to retype, reformat, proof and get them set up - without putting out a dollar - but I do increase quickly and as able. I speak at schools and intern many of them (with pay) and let them know - if they want to know what being a transcriptionist is about - do not come to this board and read every post about how there is no work. See all posts above this thread. There is work but when yC with a potential client, demanding more than they can pay will only have them off shore. In business, this business, if you want clients and stop working for everyone else, you take what you can, prove yourself and expect increases. If you want to always work for someone else, go through slow periods, and worry about your check - continue working for others and just call yourself an IC. Good luck in your endeavors.

On another note - I have brought on several transcriptionists today. I will hold information on those that appear acceptable to my business and make contact in a couple of weeks when, as I grow, I will need more.
Seem to assume a lot. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I am an IC with my own clients. I don't need your work to stay steady. I haven't had a slow period in over 4 years and I certainly don't worry about my check. I also don't worry about losing my work offshore. If my clients wish to take their work offshore, I would wish them luck. They get what they pay for. I will not try to match the offshore rates. I wouldn't be able to survive on those rates anyway. I have, in fact, had to raise my rates twice for cost of living and my clients have never grumbled. In fact, I have had clients that I have had to drop contact me asking me to take their work again. There are still plenty of people in this country who value quality and are willing to pay for it.
To CLK - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Do you have to have AOL and AIM? Thanks,
To CLK - anon - CLK Transcription
[ In Reply To ..]
You would need to have AIM to communicate with the office. Not necessarily AOL browser, but AIM Instant Messenger yes. I do have all the ICs I need at this time however. Good luck in your endeavors.

From one digger to another... - please pass the shovel...

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure of your insinuation of a "digger" here. Speaking for myself, the one who OP'd the pathetic pay post, I find what CLK is offering for pay to be just that - pathetic and insulting. I can say that because I am currently in the field and every contract I have and have ever had in the last 23 years has been more than double that - average triple. The pay she is offering isn't fair, unless you are an off-shore worker - maybe you are?

No one is asking CLK to do anything but pay a FAIR WAGE for this particular type of transcription - $21 an a/h is NOT a fair wage and you know it - well maybe you don't. Maybe this is the only place you've ever worked and you don't know that there is a whole 'nuther world out there that will pay you at least double that (and that's for a NEWBIE) doing the same type of work. Who said we are asking to get paid more than we are worth? WE ARE WORTH MORE! People like yourself who settle for what CLK is paying you, thinking it's a "fair wage," are what is ruining this profession.

My opinion is that CLK comes on this board to advertise because she would not be allowed on the other board I go to that is geared more toward legal and non-medical/GT transcription, as they have rules on the minimum a/h you can advertise as wages offered - and hers is far below acceptable.

The way I read what you write, it seems like CLK is out to exploit those new to the field or just new to transcribing, or desperate to make a wage. You make no sense with what you write regarding "keeping yourself busy looking for the easy way to get paid for doing nothing and knowing nothing." Please enlighten me because I don't recall asking to be paid for doing nothing or knowing nothing. GT is not rocket science, but doing multispeaker and/or poor audio two-people interviews can be very challenging and it has nothing to do with the degree of experience - it's due to people talking over each other and other audio situations, whether there are 2 people or 20 people.

CLK is just like those companies advertising on craigslist, Elance or any of those bidding sites - that's where her ads belong, not on a professional site where professional wages are earned and paid. Wouldn't YOU rather be paid more for your ability, availability and success? Believe me, it's out there.

Reply to Looking for CLK info - LSW

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are looking for flexibility and the opportunity to learn, CLK is the place. TAT varies depending on different projects, but never have I felt rushed to complete a job. With CLK, you have the opportunity to turn down files if you dont want them or only take a file or two whenever you are available.

Even though I am only working part-time, the work has been very steady for the most part. CLK offers special rates on certain projects when she can.

I have been with CLK for four years, and I hope to have a continued working relationship with CLK for many more years.

[ In Reply To ..]
The average TAT is 24 hours. The work is steady once you get use to the process depending on your availability and capability.

As for rates, again I am a client you are not hired you are an IC, your own business. You don't like the rate - don't take the work. If you feel this is an insult, please do not ask me to be your client.

If you do not run your business with professionalism and respect for your clients or potential clients, then please do not request assignments with me.

If you demand a rate higher than what I am offering as a client - then please bid for work elsewhere. I choose to pay what I pay and increase it as the availability and capability are proven to me - I guess you can say similar to being off QA for medical. I do not test. I do not hire nor ask for resumes.

If you think transcription of anything other than medical is easier than medical, I could go on about how the so-called medical transcriptionists come to me and can't handle anything that is not medical, but when they master the non-medical (NOT GENERAL) they can conquer the world. And many go on to get additional private clients and build their business.

Sp please spare me your drama. I am not your typical MTSO. I am a client and rather than have bids for work come in, I let you know up front what I am willing to pay. I only deal with the best and the best eventually can say they can transcribe anything. They also say that they are working - not complaining about lack of work.

You have a good day. (Oh, and as far as my rates being akin to off shore - far from it - however even if this were true - I don't off shore, unlike many of the people you are EMPLOYED by now, which is why your workload dwindles through the day, week and month)

Similar Messages:

InfAny Info On Net Med Transcription, All-Write Transcription Or FutureNet Technologies?
Jun 11, 2010

I would appreciate any input anyone may have on these 3 companies. I have tried to find out about them through their local BBB, but only Net Med Transcription has anything on it. Thanks. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

OSi Transcription?? Anyone Have Info?
Jan 14, 2010

Does anyone have any experience/info abotu OSi? It seems like they do a TON of hiring and i'm not sure that it's a good thing. I'm a new MT and want to start out right. Thanks! ...

CLK Transcription Any Info?
Nov 12, 2010

Any info on this company?  I have heard from them and she is rather up front about her workload, etc., but I would like to know if anyone has worked for this company.  The last time I posted about a company, someone said "look elsewhere" and I didn't listen and I should have.  I am now looking elsewhere.  If you want to e-mail me that is fine as well.  Thanks in advance.    ...

Any New Info Regarding Transcription Plus LLC
Dec 31, 2010

I did a search on transcription plus LLC and didn't see much but was wondering if anyone currently works for them and has any positive or negative things to say about this company.  I am considering taking a position with them.    TIA ...

KJ&M Transcription, Inc Any Info?nm
Jan 10, 2012

x ...

360 Transcription - Any Info
Aug 25, 2013

Any info on this company.  Pay, etc.?  They have 2 very long tests.  It is a waste of my time if they pay bum wages and are a bum company.  Any info would help.  TIA. ...

Any Info On CC Transcription? Sm
Oct 07, 2014

They're looking for ortho help.  But, they have 6 dislikes on the post. ...

Any Info On United Transcription Out Of NC?
Nov 29, 2009

Hi.  Was hoping that someone could give me some information regarding United Transcription out of North Carolina??  Any details would be very much appreciated  ...

Transcription South - Any Info?
Dec 04, 2009

I have searched the archives and I don't find anything on this company.  Can anyone help?  Thanks! ...

Any Info On Advance Transcription?
Dec 28, 2009

nm ...

Anyone With Info On Hands On Transcription?
Jan 04, 2010

nm ...

Hands-On Transcription Info....sm
Jan 07, 2010

Hi - any info on this company?  I checked the archives, but info is mostly from a few years ago and vague.  Feel free to e-mail me.  TIA! ...

Letni Transcription - Any Info?
Jan 13, 2010

I have been contacted to test for an entry level position by Letni Transcription.  Does anyone have any information about this company? ...

Info On Medscribe Transcription?
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone Info. On E-transcription Group?
Mar 09, 2010

nm ...

Transcription Matchmaker An Info?
May 04, 2010

Anybody know anything about this company. I seems to be an employment agency for MTs and other medical record related jobs.  Their website says no fee to job seekers. ...

Hils Transcription - Any Info?
May 25, 2010

Anybody have info on this company? ...

Any Info On New Line Transcription
May 31, 2010

Would appreciate any info on this company. Thanks. ...

ANP Transcription - Info On This Company?
Jul 28, 2010

Anybody have info on this company?  I took sample test, a verbatim lecture.  Wondering about quality of company. ...

Info On Chronicle Transcription?
Aug 18, 2010

Does anyone have any info on Chronicle Transcription? They are asking me to take a test.  Also how are their tests? ...

ALPHA Transcription - Any Info?
Sep 20, 2010

Does anyone have information on this company?   Thanks! ...

DIT - Recent Info On DIT Transcription?
Sep 21, 2010

Does anyone have any recent info on DIT Transcription?  Do you know if they are still in business? ...

The Transcription Doctor - Any Info?
Oct 24, 2010

Hi everyone!  Can anyone tell me about The transcription doctors company?  Do they pay on time?  Do they do direct deposit? Thanks ...

Info On ALPHA Transcription?
Oct 30, 2010

Can anyone give me info on ALPHA transcription? I need any info, good or bad. ...

Info About SOAP Transcription?
Nov 01, 2010

Does anyone have any info about SOAP transcription?   ...

Transcription Unlimited, LLC - Does Anyone Have Any Info (sm)
Dec 22, 2010

about this company, ever heard of this company?  I have googled them and can find "pieces" of their website but no official website.  When I googled a bit further I found them to also be named S&N Transcription.  Okay, if that is not odd enough, when I googled the address that is listed for the company it comes up with a totally different name, something with stables in it and states that it is some type of daycare center.  Just curious, does anyone know where DIT is loc ...

InHealth Transcription - Anyone Have Info??
Jan 11, 2011

I'm really frustrated with the paycut we just took at Nuance.  Looking elsewhere.  Saw an ad here on the seekers board for InHealth out of Georgia.  Is anyone familiar with this company?  Are they fair?  Easy to work for?  What are the accounts like?  I don't mind the occasional ESL account, but mostly ESL is not for me.  So, I'm just putting out a feeler... any comments? ...

Transcription Doctors Info
Feb 09, 2011

Anyone work for the transcription doctors?  Are they a good company? ...

Anyone With Info On Lee Perfect Transcription?
Mar 30, 2011

Hi, just looking around and wondered if anyone has worked for or had any experience with Lee Perfect Transcription located in Chicago.  Thanks for the info. ...