A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Keeping track of multiple accounts/jobs - deep fried and double baked

Posted: May 18, 2010

I recently quit my hospital MT job and started working for a mid sized MTSO. This was a big change for me, different platforms, different rules, different type of accounts. I have 4 accounts with this job, all with their own little rules and formats and things. On top of that I recently was hired and quit with another large MTSO for weekend work (didn't like the QA or managers; I was constantly being forgotten). Anyway, I quit them after 2 weeks and was just hired as an IC for small MTSO and will be starting this week for them. After all these changes in such a short time my brain is totally fried. I am starting to forget the formats and info from my main job that I just learned a month ago, and keep going back to check to make sure I am doing things right. I'm trying to forget the info from my hospital job and my temporary weekend job, and soon I will need to be learning another platform and another facility and all the stuff that goes along with that.

How do you gals (and guys) that work for multiple companies on multiple accounts keep things straight? I've tried keeping things in folders on my desktop so I can easily search them and organizing my e-mails as easily as possible, even wasted an enitre ink cartrage printing information out only for it to end up in a huge pile on my desk.

I'm just worried that once I start this new job I am going to bomb out and be fired before I ever get back into the swing of things. Luckily my days with the new job are on my off days from my main job, so at least I won't have to switch gears each day, but I just really want to do a good job and keep my reputation up and not lose any accounts because I just can't think straight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ive found the only way to keep it all even marginally -(sm) - Rocky Raccoon

[ In Reply To ..]
sorted out is by going SO slowly, and having to read and re-read all the multiple-account-minutia, that I can't make even a marginal living.

So what happened when I and others did that? Slowed down and started to get better accuracy scores? They raised it to 99%.

I agree with the other poster... go slowly and (see inside) - lindawordlady

[ In Reply To ..]
I also went thru a couple of ink cartridges and found I was searching and searching all the time, even though I hi-lighted things. One thing I did do is save the account specifics and have that open (in word pad) if I am working on Word 2007, as they conflict. I use the control F a lot to find what I am looking for such as cc, work types, and the like. I am only on one one platform though (escription) which I love. For a while I was on Dictaphone and Escript which was just impossible to focus on. Thank goodness, I have one main account and my backup account is similar to the main one, both with Escript.

I gave myself a learning curve and knew it would take some time to get up to speed, as I also had worked in hospitals and doing straight typing, no VR. Now I have mostly VR, which I love by the way after doing this for 25+ years. I also am very focused on working when I work... no TV or radio in the background. I don't answer the phone when I am working. In the beginning when I was learning "everything" and it seemed all so overwhelming I probably took more short breaks as I needed to get up and just walk away for a few minutes and re-group. Set little goals for yourself, whether it be learning keyboard shortcuts, account specifics, etc. I asked lots of questions in the beginning when they came up and had a very helpful team that responded and explained things if I needed that.

Remember to be patient with yourself and know that you have the skills and just pace yourself. Good luck. I hope you only have one platform... more than that would be difficult when you have more than 1 account with different specifics. Good luck!

How about a wall chart? - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]

It doesn't have to be fancy.   Something like this, maybe.

HEADINGS:

Company A:                Don’t bold, start line below heading

Company B:                 Bold, start same line.

Company C:                 Bold, start next line.

ABBREVIATIONS:

Company A.                 Never in diagnoses, but okay in body of text.

Company B.                 Whatever dictator says

Company C.                 Spell everything out, everywhere.

You can make it as elaborate or as simple as you need to, but that might work as sort of a quick reference.  You could set it up as an Excel Spreadsheet and that way you can add and subtract items as you see fit.

I like this....(NM) - LUMT

[ In Reply To ..]
X

Here's what I do that works for me. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a separate binder for each account. I have a cheat sheet as front page, with my reminders, ie, about headings (bold or not), text (goes beside or under), cc's (yes or not for Drs. in demographics) -- you get the picture. Then I have tabs, ie, one for locations, with the hospitals in the area, and such things as I may need to reference, and then in the back, QA'd reports of difficult dictators that I can refer to, alphabetical. So when I'm working on an account, I put that binder out where I see it, open to the cheat-sheet page, and that keeps me remembering what I need to remember. Oh and in the inside pocket of binder,I put directives from supervisors about the account (which constantly change). Hope this helps someone else, as it works wonderfully for me, and I currently juggle 6 accounts.

Like this one too, but - LUMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I like this idea too. Or if you have an extra computer, put this on it and then use Find for speed. Now I'm wondering an Ipad would be good investment for notes,etc. Anyone have one?

I do the same exact thing with a 3-ring binder - For All Accounts

[ In Reply To ..]
I print out everything I can and file it into the binder, separated by tabs, even QA docs. It might seem like a waste of ink and paper but I've been doing this for some years and it works for me.

I have a separate cheat sheet for all acounts, like town names, hospital names in the area.

I print out the account directives and have it right in front of me.

Similar Messages:

Keeping Track Of Time Typed
Aug 16, 2011

Is there such a thing available that keeps track of "at the keyboard" typing time? I am one that gets up and down frequently throughout my work day and its hard to keep track of exactly how many actual hours I am typing.  I want something automatic that I don't have to remember to click on/off because if I could remember to do that, I could remember to write it down :)  Anyone know of something like this? ...

Keeping Track Of Line Count
Jan 25, 2013

Is there any other way to know your line counts besides the metrics??  ...

I've Been Keeping Track Of The Time It Takes To Do ASR Reports.
Jan 04, 2013

Rarely are they taking 1/2 the time of straight typing. The majority are taking at least as long as it would to straight type and some more time. This is all due to the number of corrections and punctation and formatting I have to do! ...

Question About Multiple Accounts
Oct 28, 2009

I have five accounts that I currently work on - three are considered my "primaries" and two are "secondaries".  Does this seem like a lot or is it just me?  I have to switch between three different platforms to perform the work and on a daily basis I work in at least four of the accounts.  I'd love to find a position where I just had two, maybe even three accounts - does this even exist anymore?  ...

Working On Multiple Accounts
Apr 30, 2010

I work for an MTSO and have been given 4 accounts. After my first one ran out of work they gave me another, and then when that one ran out they gave me another and so on and so forth. My primary and secondary accounts I like, they are basically sister hospitals and are pretty similar. My fourth account is very large and always has work and is a totally different type of hospital, but I like the work and the packet the QA people sent me is very informative and easy to find what you need. However ...

So Is QA Handling Multiple Accounts Also?
Nov 24, 2013

They darn sure are all over the map as well. This BOSS speaks to the problem we are all complaining about, multiple accounts cause multiple problems. If you actually sat down and DID your job, you could better track and send out work. There are ways, it takes time, and it takes extreme patience, and most of all it takes the loss of you TAT bonus for maybe a couple of months until you get it right. If you truly care, quality would come first. And QA, please stop the BS corrections, I ...

Multiple Accounts & Equipment Issues
Oct 08, 2010

Hi all, wondering if anyone transcribing from home has more than 1 account & therefore more than 1 computer? I have 1 monitor, keyboard/mouse & foot pedal that I would like to use for both computers & am wondering if there is a magic "switch box" or other device I could use so I don't have to buy additional equipment?  Anyone have any other ideas on how to set this up? ...

Curious About Having Multiple Jobs
Aug 28, 2012

Would anyone be willing to weigh in on how many MT jobs they currently have? The couple of MTs I know said they all work for a couple of different MT companies so they have plenty of work, but I also heard someone say they work for 3 at once. I'm not sure I could handle 3 at a time but it sounds like it's smart to have 2 so you always have a backup. Thanks to any responders ...

NJA (No Jobs Available) 20 Accounts
Nov 05, 2014

20 accounts? Where are they in the middle of a Wednesday afternoon? ...

26 Accounts, 94 Jobs....
Apr 06, 2015

Saturday afternoon status report 04/04/2015 at 12:43 p.m. 26 accounts and 94 jobs total.   Not a status report sent since--no a status report yesterday or today... But, "keep checking back."   ...

25 Accounts, 73 Jobs
Apr 23, 2015

Tomorrow is my last day at Nuance.  This is one reason why--NO WORK.   While it is slow check Fiesa, sign time sheet, take a class in Enrich, wait 15 minutes, check back, request reversals....no thanks.  I never got paid for doing those things.   Request reversals...that is interesting isnt' it?  Fiesa is like a court of law where you are considered guility unless you can prove your innocence and the "laws" are unclear and not consistent.  There is no consis ...

Can I Go Back To Bed? First 5 Jobs - All Different Accounts ..
Mar 06, 2012

Working on getting out every day.   I think we should challenge all the CCMs to actually sit and do this crap one day, and have an upper mgt person sitting alongside watching them.  Maybe they could pull up all the different specs .. you know we are now supposed to check F5 on every report, right?  ROTL .. that is what we were told recently. Then maybe they'd fix the darn pools.  Walk a mile in my shoes upper mgt!!!    ...

No Jobs-Strategic Accounts
Jun 07, 2013

Does anyone have much work on Strategic Accounts- not me for 2 days now!!!  I would love to make my hours, but can't! All having a good day in spite? ...

33 Jobs On 14 Accounts This Morning....
Nov 01, 2014

Yep--ran out.  There is no work here.     ...

5 Jobs On 5 Accounts In 5 Hours
Mar 19, 2015

5 is my favorite number. I have 5 children. I like numbers that end in 5. I'll admit, when I turn the heat on in the car, I would rather is be on a temperature that ends in a 5....65, 75, 85...I set the microwave for only times that end in 5 or can be divided by 5, which is 5 and 0.... you get it... BUT, when it comes to the 5 hours a day that I am scheduled and I have had 5 jobs on 5 accounts in those 5 hours, 5 isn't such a great number. WHERE IS MY WORK??? No answer from ...

Is Anybody Working And Getting Random Jobs From Different Accounts?
Jan 10, 2010

Just venting a little.  While I do appreciate being able to work and not getting NJAk, I am a little frustrated getting every other job from 2 or 3 new and different acounts.  Do they really expect me to make line count like that?  I know there is a better way to distribute and get the work done within TAT.  I mean really.... sigh. Looks like the forbidden "national pools" coming back.  If my regular accounts have no work, then why oh why cant that just give me ONE that ...

Jobs Being Mysteriously Held In A Bunch Of Florida Accounts
Oct 29, 2009

I would appreciate hearing from anyone (e-mail me if you wish) if you have suddenly got NJA all day today with regard to a bunch of southern Florida accounts (cannot mention which hospital of course, but if you are an MT for them you will know which ones).  I e-mailed the person in charge of workload and the explanation was that "difficult dictators" are only being given to those who can do them.  I am a tier 3, 7 yrs with MQ and 30 as an MT (so pretty much experienced and been there d ...

Keeping Our Coding In The US
Jan 20, 2011

Good news!  A while back I posted how the company I work for was sold to an Indian group.  I was concerned if that meant my coding job was going the way of my MT work.  i work for a company that is coding's equivalent to an MTSO.  Well, the hospital to which I am contracted has decided to not renew the contract with the company as they demand that their coding be done in the US by US coders.  The hospital will hire the coders directly a ...

You All Are Keeping Copies Of Everything Right?
Sep 11, 2013

Keep everything, I would love to know if the TSMs are sending out generic explanations of the new policies that are given to them by the company or if they are their own interpretations. It just doesn't make sense to me that I am supposed to be availabe around the clock for when there is work. I also don't understand how they FORCED me to take a shift and now are threatening to change my shift to when work is available. Something stinks and we need to stand together on this or we wi ...

To Keeping My Head Up And Other Newbies
Oct 25, 2009

There is good reason that these ladies sound a little negative.  It is not about you, your initiative, or your dedictation.  They do know what they are talking about, but they did not even begin to explain to you why, probably not enough room or time!  This industry has changed drastically.  You can not believe the ads you read about being an MT, great money, work your own hours, train in 2-4 months, blah, blah, blah.  None of that is true.  This has become a low in ...

Every Day Another Test...at Least I'm Keeping Up My MT Skills!!
Aug 08, 2010

Anyone noticed these tests are asking some of the same questoins?  My little answers keep popping up when I start typing in the answer.  The transcription portions are way too long though.  Some are super easy and others are the scum at the bottom of the barrel.  I'm beginning to think we're doing somebody's work for them!  Now I'm thinking about all the money I could have made by transcribing these stupid test reports.  I think one company test ...

Pay Rate Not Keeping Up With The Times
Jan 20, 2011

I have been an MT since 1986. I would like to know why the MT industry does not raise pay rates for MTs to keep up with the rising cost of living? Are we expected to just work longer hours in order to raise our pay? I see job openings offering 7 cpl! This is ridiculous! I have never made more than 9.5 cpl.  We all know the companies are raising their contract rates for clients and making a killing, so why is our industry becoming such a slave-driving industry and what can we do about it? Ye ...

Keeping Copies Of Emails
Sep 19, 2012

Does anyone know how to forward emails from Nuance's company email program to your personal email for documentation??  I've tried to forward them to mine and it refuses to recognize my personal email and address and won't forward them.  It's obvious I need to keep track of them and I'm afraid if something happens I will be blocked from the company email.  TIA ...

Keeping My Hands From Cramping
Sep 26, 2012

I'm delighted to be going back to straight transcription after 9 months of VR editing!! I'm getting nervous about my hands cramping up when I return to straight typing though -- suggestions on how to keep them limber??? ...

Keeping Company Computer?
Jan 15, 2014

I gave notice last week. I hate everything about this company EXCEPT I love their computer and monitor. Does anyone know if keeping it rather than returning it is an option?...and if so, if they ask a ridiculous amount of $$ to do so? ...

Thank You Mmodal For At Least Keeping Health
Oct 30, 2014

Rates are a pleasant surprise. ...

So Much For Keeping Fingers And Toes Crossed!
Nov 18, 2009

The only jobs that were actualy transcription for me today were the worst 4 doctors on the planet!  I am pulling my hair out today over the 10 reports that had to be sent to the MMEs with all of the holes! Also, to the MME who corrected 1 of my reports: I know that numbers are not spelled out, however, the doctor said "325 one or two a day"   He did not say milligram, therefore, you are not supposed to leave 2 numbers next to eachother, so I spelled it out.  If I knew we w ...

Earlier Talk About Keeping Your Office Under
Jun 12, 2013

A few weeks ago there was talk about people thinking we should keep our work/office under lock and key, that someone was going to be showing up and because of the HIPAA law, we would be in big trouble, prosecuted, arrested, whatever. I have something to run past those that were posting. Ok, so today I take my husband to have a procedure done. I am called back to his room as he is awakening and there are 2 people sharing this room with a drawn curtain between them. The doctor comes in to talk ...

Track Back.
Jan 25, 2011

Just something to keep in mind, even if you think you are being anonymous on here, there is always the chance that your post can be tracked back to you...and if it is, MQ could always make your work life a living h___.   ...

LPH Minimum. Be Sure To Keep Track Of All Those
Jul 16, 2013

a job to upload. All those add up and if you don't clock out for them it will go against your LPH and make a difference in your assessments.  ...