A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

To Keeping My Head Up and other Newbies - Fingers

Posted: Oct 25, 2009

There is good reason that these ladies sound a little negative.  It is not about you, your initiative, or your dedictation.  They do know what they are talking about, but they did not even begin to explain to you why, probably not enough room or time!  This industry has changed drastically.  You can not believe the ads you read about being an MT, great money, work your own hours, train in 2-4 months, blah, blah, blah.  None of that is true.  This has become a low income occupation that many companies will turn into a sweat shop if they can.  The income for MTs has steadily gone down with increased work that you do not get paid for, and hours that can change constantly.  If that is not the problem, then you continue to lose jobs and accounts due to the client changing services or the company offshoring your work to other countries.  The only thing that has saved many jobs is going to VR.  Whole different story there and you will have to read up on that.  It suits some and not others.

Please know what you are getting into.  Do not believe what you read on the internet!!!  Talk to actual MTs who will tell you the truth.  There is a problem that you do not see on these boards and I will probably get flamed to death for this.  There are too many incompetent, unreliable, and lazy MTs.  Oh, there are hardworking professional MTs on these boards but honestly, truth be told, about half the MTs out there will not do what it takes to be skilled and successful in this job.  They only want to work certain hours and even then, they are not reliable enough to work the hours they commit to.  Management is constantly having to juggle work because of this.  Then there are those who refuse to actually LEARN.  I have to pull in reports from previous patient visits.  I have seen many transcribed reports that are worse than what comes in from offshoring.  I do not mean commas, semicolons, and punctuation.  I mean drugs, dosages, syndromes, and actual diagnoses.  These lazy MTs just typed it as it sounds phonically.  They are not willing to do the research it takes to complete a document with 100% accuracy.  No, you do not get paid for that research but it is your responsibility over and over and over as many times as it takes.  That is NOT what QA is there for.  This is called building your experience.

Too many MTs, right of the bat, say I have 10, 15, 20 years experience - like that makes them a good MT.  Companies do not care about your number of years typing.  They want someone with a high skill level.  That takes many many years to build.  I actually tried to help an MT on these boards get a job with my company.  She was very confident with her 10 years of experience.  The work was M-F 9-5 clinic work in rheumatology, nephrology, and cardiology.  Come to find out, she had never transcribed these specialties and said, "I really don't like those."  What good is her 10 years experience?

I admire anyone who has the dedication to learn this occupation and to stick with it and build upon their skills.  Sadly, not many MTs do anymore.  If you want in, do some extensive research.  Know the good and the bad and what you are getting into.  Also know, if you are too demanding, there are dozens of people in line behind you just waiting to take your job.  Realize you could lose your account or job at any time with no notice.  Do you alone depend on this income?  I have read that the average change iis every 18 months (not sure I believe that though)  I went 7 years on the same account.  That does not mean your job is secure.  That is an unusually long time.  Think about what this is going to mean to you.

Personally, I have been in this business for decades.  I love it (and what it used to be).  But honestly, if I were younger at this point I would get out and look for something more secure.  I would further my education in another field.  This is just not what it used to be.  If you do pursue this, you will know in a year or two if it is what you wish to continue doing.  You may also find out it is not worth it just because you have kids at home.

My advice to you is to go to the Main Board and request a mentor.  Gourdpainter is a retired, very skilled, and knowledgeable MT.  She knows the in's and out's.  She is flamed a lot but she is always willing to help newbies and older MTs.  Good luck to you in your pursuits.

Do you know these people personally? - another lovely MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Gourdpainter and the new MTs, or the one you tried to help get a job? Do you know these people personally? Have you worked along side of them? Probably not.

Look, this is still a thriving profession. VR and EMR are far in the distance since as you can tell from the job board there are companies still requiring you run old XP and use an old C-phone... hello? Some large companies have gone with VR.

Just because someone has a husband with a second income does not mean they are slackers. I have been in this field since the mid 1980s and I have seen it really come a long way from tapes. So, to say that it is not a profession to get into is not fair to the industry.

If you old burned out MTs cannot seem to make a go of it, then why not the newer MTs have their hay day? I also feel if I could choose a profession, it would not be medical, but then again I would probably not make the 40 dollars an hour I am making right now without putting in a lot of time and being away from my family.

May all of us stay healthy and prosper in this profession. It takes dedication and a lot of heart and smarts but it is well worth it in my opinion and I save a lot of money on clothes, stress in the workplace, gas, etc. My children are school age and I'm glad I am here when they reach that front door! Amen to that!

Didn't tell them not to get in the profession, just know what they are getting into - Fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
When you are dedicated and determined and willing to learn and build upon your skills, this could work for anyone. If not, you are looking in the wrong place. You are not going to be making $40,000 as a newbie like some places promise.

Simple statement was - Know what you are getting into before you spend time and money.

I do believe that any newbie could learn a lot from Gourdpainter or any other experienced mentor.

Another Lovely MT - MTquiteaWhile

[ In Reply To ..]
You have been an MT a while and you think VR and EMR are in the distance??? Get your head out of the sand!!! We're halfway there already in case no one has told you!!

As far as you making $40 an hour, I very much doubt that. Even if it was true, it will not be long before that is gone for you. That is the way the industry is today. Then what will you do when your income is cut by a third?

No, MTs with husbands and a second income are not always slackers. Who is to say that makes an MT a slacker, but they are out there and they are hurting this industry as well. Probably the reason for the offshoring.

You have an exceptional position but eventually change is going to hit you too. No one is immune to it!

$40 an hour?? Gimme a break - Oh please!

[ In Reply To ..]
Who do you think you are kidding? You are making $80,000 a year and here you are cruzin a NEW MT board looking to flame posts? HA HA HA HA HA. Get real!! Honey, even if that were true, you are the very one (with the high income) that companies are looking to get rid of.

whoa nellie!....sm - alias

[ In Reply To ..]
I am paid hourly. Fact is, if I were paid by the line, I would be making nearly 40$ an hour on some of my dictators, and easily more than my hourly rate on my more labor-intensive speakers. So don't scoff.

Regardless, I don't think this is the norm, and any MT would be disappointed if they thought they would be raking in the cash this way.

I haven't had a raise in years, and don't expect to see one any time soon, either.

Sadly, doctors and practice administrators tend to disrespect and under-rate their transcriptionists, seeing them - and paying them - as "typists". It's a lot easier for them to get their heads around the idea of pennies per line versus a truly comparable hourly rate.

I have been replaced more than once by MT outsourcing services that cost more than twice my salary. It's really hard for a doc to stomach paying a typist $40 an hour. They would rather pay that amount to a contracted stranger in the form of cents per line.
$40 per HOUR???? - gourdpainter
[ In Reply To ..]
Gotta be a catch in there somewhere. Are you by chance an R.N. who inputs information into EMR? Making an average of $40 per hour back in "the day" wasn't particularly unusual but never have I ever even heard of an MT making $40 per hour SALARY.
No. Read again. - alias
[ In Reply To ..]
I do not make $40 an hour. Wish I did.

I was simply remarking that IF I were paid by the line, I would be making $40 an hour on some of my more effective dictators. I would lose my shirt on some of the others.

I was responding to a poster who scoffed at another MT for stating she made $40 an hour.

Newbies - Tara

[ In Reply To ..]
I make around $40 an hour as well. It depends on the doctor's dictation style and flow, but I make anywhere from $20 to $40 an hour. The company is not looking to get rid of me because I work on an IC status and so the faster I type, the more money I make, and the faster they get their reports back to the client. It is good business for them. Since MT's are usually paid by the line, I make that kind of money because I can type fast and I'm good at what I do. The company would pay the same amount for that report regardless because it would have the same line count, but that's what I make because I can do it in half the time of someone who is a slow typer. This is not the job to get into if you can only type 50 or 60 wpm. You need speed to make money, but if you got the speed, the income is endless!! I've been doing this job for 10 years and I love being here with my kids. I would never look at another profession as long as MT jobs are available.

Fingers, another oldie here and you are so right - Been there, done that

[ In Reply To ..]
I also have done this for years and still at it but there is a big difference now, I no longer have to support a family on my own and that is probably the only way I am able to stay here. Years ago this was an excellent profession with money enough to provide a very good income. I have been outsourced from 2 hospitals in the years gone by and finally wound up at a company. The pay has steadily gone down and now am seeing people being offered just 2 or 3 cents a line for VR. How horrible is that? Most companies it also seems are only paying the 8 cents a line for regular transcription and if you are not a real whiz at the keyboard churning out lines you will never make a living being paid like that. I know others talk about how much they are able to make and sure there are places out there like that but you probably have to do a lot of looking to find those, not for the most part these companies. I have loved, loved, loved this job in the past but now I sit here and wonder why am I still at it, not for the money anymore. I am just so ticked at the dictators I think more than anything. I have no idea why no one will stand up for us and do something simple, like asking a dictator to spell a person's name. What is wrong with that? I am working on VR and now have reports coming out the wrong way with a certain dictator because she is saying wrong time after time and then up to me to correct her pleurals on the end when they don̢۪t belong there and vice versa. VR doesn̢۪t know, just a machine that we humans are correcting. I am older but not what I would consider burned out as far as this job goes. I am realistic in the fact it is not a livable pay for younger people trying to live and raise their families.

It's better than having to drive and get up and use - daycare only to make a little bit

[ In Reply To ..]
at say a grocery store. Even medical secretaries are only being offered maybe 15.00 an hour if they are lucky and that's if they are lucky. I make almost triple that in this profession.

Yeh, I spent a lot of time daydreaming also - Been there, done that

[ In Reply To ..]
You make almost $45.00 per hour? People who worked in the best of times years ago probably did not average that per hour. Think I will call you on that one.

To the OP - A "Yearbie"

[ In Reply To ..]
Why I got into this profession is because I really like the medical profession, I like learning the terminology and I like the challenge that comes with trying to understand someone who dictates with cotton in their mouth. LOL Oh, and I need money. I didn't say I needed to be rich mind you, because I am one of those slackers that have a husband who is established in his full time job. I have not been hired yet as an MT for reasons that stretch from me just completely botching a test to passing everything up to a phone interview and the company not calling me. Just don't know exactly why. I do know that if I would have taken to heart all of the negative remarks about the field of MT when I first found this site I would have just felt like an idiot for spending money on a worthless profession. I don't feel that way and I will find a job and I will make money and I will produce quality work. I do believe though that anyone who posts a message like this, without being asked a specific question pertaining to the outlook of the field is just trying to discourage a new potential competitor. If your on your way out, or wish you didn't do this type of work anymore just let the people dream, let them hope for glory in their newly desired position. Why try and shoot someone down before they even start. As soon as the profession gets rid of all of the lazy MT's and the old, pessimistic, sour puss MT's I believe it may thrive again. That is just a yearbie's opinion though.

Well said!!! - la

[ In Reply To ..]
x

do we have a say? - P.

[ In Reply To ..]

I think we should boycott the outsourcing companies and keep this American. We already have to many aliens living off of our taxes and hard work. American services for American Doctors. It is no wonder people are complaining.

Oh, where to start with this. - Fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
You, a "competitor?" Honey, you are not even working, HAHAHAH. Yet you talk about "lazy MTs." Were you looking in the mirror?

Do you a little more research into this profession and you will see why MTs who have been around a while have negative attitudes. No, I am not tired of doing this. No, I am not on my way out. I am doing just fine, thank you.

My response was to a poster, by name, for your information, and it was an honest one. There are many things for her to consider, good and bad. MTing is not the same as it has always been and you may not be getting into what you think you are. Certainly everyone should know that reality before investing time or money into any occupation. My advice did not crush her spirit, but she would be wise to heed it now instead of saying, "I wish someone had told me this, this, or this." I hope she is a little more responsible than to "dream" up and job and then pursue it.

As for you, you just keep your head stuck in the sand and keeping "dreaming" about that job that you do not have.

Very sorry for you - Yearbie

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't see where I said anything to have this response but I guess I expected it. No matter how polite people are when stating their opinion there is at least one bitter grouch to act like she has the only valid opinion. Every newbie is not an idiot and I think we all know that times are tough and this may not be the "gravy boat" job it use to be (by gravy boat I mean lucrative). So do you feel better? I hope so cause I don't feel any better or worse for your comments and they didn't make you any less of a negative crab. Gee, this was an informative post. Thanks for all you do for this field and all the newbies should have to send you a dollar just for you having to put up with us.

Yearbie - Yes well said from someone who.... - Get a Clue

[ In Reply To ..]
is not working as an MT, who is professed slacker depending on her husband who is well established in his job, who botched the MT test, company will not call you, and you "don't know" why you are not working. Yes, you are very wise indeed.

Quoting the Moderator - She said it best

[ In Reply To ..]
"This particular board, the New MTs board, is devoted to assisting the newcomers to this profession. It is here as a help, an assistance, a way to advise and mentor newbies. It is NOT a place to slam, discourage, handslap or pick fights between newbies and experienced MTs.

We are not going to have an ongoing war or scuffles between the experienced MTs and the newbies or vice versa in regard to who should or should not be in this industry, who does a better job, who knows more, who is right or wrong in their choices or reasons for pursuing or working in this line of work, etc.

Those who do not abide with this on the New MTs board will be banned.

Moderator"

Similar Messages:

Keeping Our Coding In The US
Jan 20, 2011

Good news!  A while back I posted how the company I work for was sold to an Indian group.  I was concerned if that meant my coding job was going the way of my MT work.  i work for a company that is coding's equivalent to an MTSO.  Well, the hospital to which I am contracted has decided to not renew the contract with the company as they demand that their coding be done in the US by US coders.  The hospital will hire the coders directly a ...

You All Are Keeping Copies Of Everything Right?
Sep 11, 2013

Keep everything, I would love to know if the TSMs are sending out generic explanations of the new policies that are given to them by the company or if they are their own interpretations. It just doesn't make sense to me that I am supposed to be availabe around the clock for when there is work. I also don't understand how they FORCED me to take a shift and now are threatening to change my shift to when work is available. Something stinks and we need to stand together on this or we wi ...

Every Day Another Test...at Least I'm Keeping Up My MT Skills!!
Aug 08, 2010

Anyone noticed these tests are asking some of the same questoins?  My little answers keep popping up when I start typing in the answer.  The transcription portions are way too long though.  Some are super easy and others are the scum at the bottom of the barrel.  I'm beginning to think we're doing somebody's work for them!  Now I'm thinking about all the money I could have made by transcribing these stupid test reports.  I think one company test ...

Pay Rate Not Keeping Up With The Times
Jan 20, 2011

I have been an MT since 1986. I would like to know why the MT industry does not raise pay rates for MTs to keep up with the rising cost of living? Are we expected to just work longer hours in order to raise our pay? I see job openings offering 7 cpl! This is ridiculous! I have never made more than 9.5 cpl.  We all know the companies are raising their contract rates for clients and making a killing, so why is our industry becoming such a slave-driving industry and what can we do about it? Ye ...

Keeping Copies Of Emails
Sep 19, 2012

Does anyone know how to forward emails from Nuance's company email program to your personal email for documentation??  I've tried to forward them to mine and it refuses to recognize my personal email and address and won't forward them.  It's obvious I need to keep track of them and I'm afraid if something happens I will be blocked from the company email.  TIA ...

Keeping My Hands From Cramping
Sep 26, 2012

I'm delighted to be going back to straight transcription after 9 months of VR editing!! I'm getting nervous about my hands cramping up when I return to straight typing though -- suggestions on how to keep them limber??? ...

Keeping Company Computer?
Jan 15, 2014

I gave notice last week. I hate everything about this company EXCEPT I love their computer and monitor. Does anyone know if keeping it rather than returning it is an option?...and if so, if they ask a ridiculous amount of $$ to do so? ...

Thank You Mmodal For At Least Keeping Health
Oct 30, 2014

Rates are a pleasant surprise. ...

So Much For Keeping Fingers And Toes Crossed!
Nov 18, 2009

The only jobs that were actualy transcription for me today were the worst 4 doctors on the planet!  I am pulling my hair out today over the 10 reports that had to be sent to the MMEs with all of the holes! Also, to the MME who corrected 1 of my reports: I know that numbers are not spelled out, however, the doctor said "325 one or two a day"   He did not say milligram, therefore, you are not supposed to leave 2 numbers next to eachother, so I spelled it out.  If I knew we w ...

Keeping Track Of Time Typed
Aug 16, 2011

Is there such a thing available that keeps track of "at the keyboard" typing time? I am one that gets up and down frequently throughout my work day and its hard to keep track of exactly how many actual hours I am typing.  I want something automatic that I don't have to remember to click on/off because if I could remember to do that, I could remember to write it down :)  Anyone know of something like this? ...

Keeping Track Of Line Count
Jan 25, 2013

Is there any other way to know your line counts besides the metrics??  ...

Earlier Talk About Keeping Your Office Under
Jun 12, 2013

A few weeks ago there was talk about people thinking we should keep our work/office under lock and key, that someone was going to be showing up and because of the HIPAA law, we would be in big trouble, prosecuted, arrested, whatever. I have something to run past those that were posting. Ok, so today I take my husband to have a procedure done. I am called back to his room as he is awakening and there are 2 people sharing this room with a drawn curtain between them. The doctor comes in to talk ...

Keeping Track Of Multiple Accounts/jobs
May 18, 2010

I recently quit my hospital MT job and started working for a mid sized MTSO. This was a big change for me, different platforms, different rules, different type of accounts. I have 4 accounts with this job, all with their own little rules and formats and things. On top of that I recently was hired and quit with another large MTSO for weekend work (didn't like the QA or managers; I was constantly being forgotten). Anyway, I quit them after 2 weeks and was just hired as an IC for small MTSO an ...

Some Seem To Think MQ Door Is KEEPING Them From Family Time, Decent
Oct 26, 2010

that door as an entry way to better things. Go through it to another job, one that fits you and your family better.  They are out there but it is not fun or easy to find them.  Some, it seems, would rather stay put and whine rather than go after what they want and deserve.  If it is worth having, be it a better job, better life, whatever, it is not gonna be handed to you and if it is worth it to you, it is worth working for. ...

I've Been Keeping Track Of The Time It Takes To Do ASR Reports.
Jan 04, 2013

Rarely are they taking 1/2 the time of straight typing. The majority are taking at least as long as it would to straight type and some more time. This is all due to the number of corrections and punctation and formatting I have to do! ...

How Is The Workload Today? I Have To Work In 3 Hours And Keeping My Fingers Crossed! Nm
Feb 01, 2013

.. ...

No $ For Newbies
Dec 06, 2011

How long is one considered a newbie?  I'm currently working as an IC for .055 ppl and have been for about 6 months.... I really need to work for a better paying company.... is it normal to have such a low-paying job for the first year? ...

How Many Newbies Are Here?
Jan 12, 2015

There seem to be a lot of posts from newbies recently.  I just started last week.  How many others are here who have just started in the past week or two?  I wish there was a way we could connect.  Wouldn’t it be great to get to know the others on our team/account? ...

MT Work For Newbies
Jan 18, 2010

I saw these companies that were hiring with no experience. I don't know about the pay or anything else about these companies. http://www.etransplus.com/careers/ http://kmmedicalt.com/careers.html ...

To All The Newbies And I Guess All MQ MT's.
Jan 23, 2010

I have been with MQ, well. . . , FOREVER unfortunately.  I found out about the board when I was googling something about Medquist about 2-1/2 years ago.  How did you all find out about this board! ...

Isn't It Interesting That Newbies Are Getting
Jul 01, 2010

us oldies are getting below 98%, in some cases waaayy below, after years or decades of exemplary work, with raises, etc. How much more obvious can it get that they're downsizing the highest paid (and most experienced) MT/ME, to hire the newbies and get the tax breaks. Makes me SICK, so I resigned a couple weeks ago and feel absolutely in shock that I did it, finally, and trust in God for a better job. ...

Investing In Newbies
Aug 16, 2010

(Creaky voice) Baaaack when I was starting out... I had neither experience nor education, except my own attempts at self-training by reading "Taber's Medical Encyclopedia," and typing practice from "Norton's Anthology of Poetry." After 3 weeks of mailing resumes to local offices, I had decided to give up on finding an MT job. It looked like no experience, no hire. Then I took part in a transcription "casting call" at a large FP clinic. I tested horribly for speed (12 wpm), got stuck fo ...

For The Newbies Who Come Here And Get Scared
Nov 10, 2010

I want the newbies who come here and read the complaints and get scared about "what have I gotten myself into" to realize that not everyone is unhappy at MedQuist.  Keep in mind that they have literally thousands of employees and only a handful come here to vent their unhappiness (which is fine, I understand, not everyone is going to be in an ideal situation).  I think it very much depends on your circumstances as to how life will be at MQ.  I was a new grad hire and once I ...

Newbies Asking The Question
Jan 18, 2011

I see it here often and I just read it again, misplaced on the Job Seeker's forum: "I just graduated from an MT school and everything requires experience.  How do I get experience?" This is a question that needs to be addressed with the schools you are choosing.  And it should be asked BEFORE you start the course.  There are courses that are less expensive but they lack various key components-- like instructors, placement assistance, etc.  (That's not addressing t ...

Would Having The RMT Credential Help Newbies??
Feb 18, 2011

xx ...

Nuance Newbies
Oct 16, 2012

For those of you new Nuance MTs, how do you like it there so far?  Thanks! ...

To Newbies Of Synernet Are You All
Sep 03, 2013

Hi!  First I want to say I love my accounts and can get my minimum and more WHEN I don't run out of work. Are you all running out of work? It's getting to the point I am thinking of finding another job. I hate to as I really like it here.  Thanks for reading ...

Nuance For Newbies!
Sep 08, 2014

signing bonuses, too!! ...

To All The Newbies Trying To Get A Start In This Business
Nov 09, 2009

I have been doing transcription for the last eight years out of my home.  I started with psychiatry for the company I was working for in-office and then was fortunate enough to get to do it at home.  However, I had never done transcription before this point.  I started checking into jobs online and since I knew I didn't have medical experience, I really didn't bother applying for any jobs in that field.  I would apply for transcription jobs outside of the realm of m ...

Companies That Hire Newbies
Dec 03, 2009

I have a friend who is looking for an MT job. She is just about done with school. Can anyone help me out with companies who hire newbies? I know there was a list on here at one time, long ago, but I cannot seem to find it. I think it was actually on the "old" board.   Thanks! ...