A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

keeping my hands from cramping - suggestions please

Posted: Sep 26, 2012

I'm delighted to be going back to straight transcription after 9 months of VR editing!! I'm getting nervous about my hands cramping up when I return to straight typing though -- suggestions on how to keep them limber???

gooseneck lamp shined on them for warmth - incognito

[ In Reply To ..]
Got me a nice lamp that shines on my hands and keyboard and keeps my hands warm.

I do straight typing, but I am allowed flexiblity. I could not type straight through for 8 hours. (No one should really be expected to. It's not natural and invites injury.)

My son got me some hand grips that you squeeze. This also helps.

Good luck on your new gig.

I buy the cheap $1 knitted gloves and...sm - oldtimer

[ In Reply To ..]
cut the fingertips open. It works great to keep your hands toasty warm.

Cramping? CTS or arthitis? (sm) - Morgan

[ In Reply To ..]
I have CTS and have used SoftFlex gloves for years which are a big help. You can do a Google shopping search for a good price. They are about $15. a pair I think. I have medium sized hands and use size small. Very comfortable. They have pads parallel tothe median nerve in the wrist to block pressure on the nerve. These are for CTS, I'm not sure if that is your problem of if you just need some warmth. Good luck to you.

Potassium helps prevent muscle cramps. Chow down on - bananas. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

shower massage as hot as can tolerate when it starts. - If no shower massage, then (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
hold hands under blasting hot water from tub faucet, or any faucet with high pressure. Simulate a hot tub jet.

Maybe soak in epsum salt?

Might google for organic tips. There must be something over-the-counter for "oiling joints."

You'd stink to high Heaven but what about trying something like the old BenGay topped with surgical gloves? Just cut the fingers off. Support and warmth in one!

shake limp hands vigorously for abt 30 seconds before typing, then again when they feel stiff/cramp - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Take care of your hands and wrists - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Be very careful. After only four months of working for an MTSO, I had worked for a clinic for 24 years, I developed a very very sore left wrist and thumb. I was under such stress after going to work for this company that this happened. I did not have any symptoms like this working for the clinic. Get an ergo keyboard. They cost more but well worth it. After about three years, my wrist finally healed up. I play the guitar and this was a blow to me as it hurt to play. Take care of your hands and wrists.

What were you doing differently? - incognito

[ In Reply To ..]
Please explain how this happened. TY.

My sore wrist and thumb - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I think I was so stressed out at the pay cut I took to go and work for an MTSO which was basically all I could find in the way of a job that I tensed up and I also worked at least 10 hours a day which I did not on my clinic job. The doctor told me I would always have this but in recent months I have cut back on typing hours and used an ergo keyboard which I think has helped my wrist and thumb to heal up. They don't hurt and cramp like they used to when I play the guitar. I will never work in a transcription job now more than 6 hours day. It's just one of those things we MTs have to be very aware of.

Similar Messages:

Keeping Our Coding In The US
Jan 20, 2011

Good news!  A while back I posted how the company I work for was sold to an Indian group.  I was concerned if that meant my coding job was going the way of my MT work.  i work for a company that is coding's equivalent to an MTSO.  Well, the hospital to which I am contracted has decided to not renew the contract with the company as they demand that their coding be done in the US by US coders.  The hospital will hire the coders directly a ...

You All Are Keeping Copies Of Everything Right?
Sep 11, 2013

Keep everything, I would love to know if the TSMs are sending out generic explanations of the new policies that are given to them by the company or if they are their own interpretations. It just doesn't make sense to me that I am supposed to be availabe around the clock for when there is work. I also don't understand how they FORCED me to take a shift and now are threatening to change my shift to when work is available. Something stinks and we need to stand together on this or we wi ...

To Keeping My Head Up And Other Newbies
Oct 25, 2009

There is good reason that these ladies sound a little negative.  It is not about you, your initiative, or your dedictation.  They do know what they are talking about, but they did not even begin to explain to you why, probably not enough room or time!  This industry has changed drastically.  You can not believe the ads you read about being an MT, great money, work your own hours, train in 2-4 months, blah, blah, blah.  None of that is true.  This has become a low in ...

Every Day Another Test...at Least I'm Keeping Up My MT Skills!!
Aug 08, 2010

Anyone noticed these tests are asking some of the same questoins?  My little answers keep popping up when I start typing in the answer.  The transcription portions are way too long though.  Some are super easy and others are the scum at the bottom of the barrel.  I'm beginning to think we're doing somebody's work for them!  Now I'm thinking about all the money I could have made by transcribing these stupid test reports.  I think one company test ...

Pay Rate Not Keeping Up With The Times
Jan 20, 2011

I have been an MT since 1986. I would like to know why the MT industry does not raise pay rates for MTs to keep up with the rising cost of living? Are we expected to just work longer hours in order to raise our pay? I see job openings offering 7 cpl! This is ridiculous! I have never made more than 9.5 cpl.  We all know the companies are raising their contract rates for clients and making a killing, so why is our industry becoming such a slave-driving industry and what can we do about it? Ye ...

Keeping Copies Of Emails
Sep 19, 2012

Does anyone know how to forward emails from Nuance's company email program to your personal email for documentation??  I've tried to forward them to mine and it refuses to recognize my personal email and address and won't forward them.  It's obvious I need to keep track of them and I'm afraid if something happens I will be blocked from the company email.  TIA ...

Keeping Company Computer?
Jan 15, 2014

I gave notice last week. I hate everything about this company EXCEPT I love their computer and monitor. Does anyone know if keeping it rather than returning it is an option?...and if so, if they ask a ridiculous amount of $$ to do so? ...

Thank You Mmodal For At Least Keeping Health
Oct 30, 2014

Rates are a pleasant surprise. ...

So Much For Keeping Fingers And Toes Crossed!
Nov 18, 2009

The only jobs that were actualy transcription for me today were the worst 4 doctors on the planet!  I am pulling my hair out today over the 10 reports that had to be sent to the MMEs with all of the holes! Also, to the MME who corrected 1 of my reports: I know that numbers are not spelled out, however, the doctor said "325 one or two a day"   He did not say milligram, therefore, you are not supposed to leave 2 numbers next to eachother, so I spelled it out.  If I knew we w ...

Keeping Track Of Time Typed
Aug 16, 2011

Is there such a thing available that keeps track of "at the keyboard" typing time? I am one that gets up and down frequently throughout my work day and its hard to keep track of exactly how many actual hours I am typing.  I want something automatic that I don't have to remember to click on/off because if I could remember to do that, I could remember to write it down :)  Anyone know of something like this? ...

Keeping Track Of Line Count
Jan 25, 2013

Is there any other way to know your line counts besides the metrics??  ...

Earlier Talk About Keeping Your Office Under
Jun 12, 2013

A few weeks ago there was talk about people thinking we should keep our work/office under lock and key, that someone was going to be showing up and because of the HIPAA law, we would be in big trouble, prosecuted, arrested, whatever. I have something to run past those that were posting. Ok, so today I take my husband to have a procedure done. I am called back to his room as he is awakening and there are 2 people sharing this room with a drawn curtain between them. The doctor comes in to talk ...

Pt With Cardiomyopathy And Leg Cramping. Doc Spells Out "N-I-B-I-L" Or "N-I-V-I-L&qu
Apr 17, 2010

NIVIL versus NIBIL study? ...

Keeping Track Of Multiple Accounts/jobs
May 18, 2010

I recently quit my hospital MT job and started working for a mid sized MTSO. This was a big change for me, different platforms, different rules, different type of accounts. I have 4 accounts with this job, all with their own little rules and formats and things. On top of that I recently was hired and quit with another large MTSO for weekend work (didn't like the QA or managers; I was constantly being forgotten). Anyway, I quit them after 2 weeks and was just hired as an IC for small MTSO an ...

Some Seem To Think MQ Door Is KEEPING Them From Family Time, Decent
Oct 26, 2010

that door as an entry way to better things. Go through it to another job, one that fits you and your family better.  They are out there but it is not fun or easy to find them.  Some, it seems, would rather stay put and whine rather than go after what they want and deserve.  If it is worth having, be it a better job, better life, whatever, it is not gonna be handed to you and if it is worth it to you, it is worth working for. ...

I've Been Keeping Track Of The Time It Takes To Do ASR Reports.
Jan 04, 2013

Rarely are they taking 1/2 the time of straight typing. The majority are taking at least as long as it would to straight type and some more time. This is all due to the number of corrections and punctation and formatting I have to do! ...

How Is The Workload Today? I Have To Work In 3 Hours And Keeping My Fingers Crossed! Nm
Feb 01, 2013

.. ...

Hands-On
Feb 07, 2011

I have worked for Hands-On for a few years now and I think it is a well run company. I recently had surgery for breast cancer, and the owner and manager were very compassionate and concerned for my well being. They are always available to help if I have a question. It is one of the best jobs I have had. You have to work hard, but after all it is a job and if you follow the "rules and regulations" regarding quality of work and turn around time you will get along just fine. You also transcrib ...

All Hands
Oct 15, 2012

What time is the meeting? ...

Paresthesia In Both Hands
Oct 21, 2009

Date: 10.21.09 I am 44 and a medical transcriptionist. I started working as an MT at age 35 and since then has been doing this job. For the last one year I have been experiencing numbness and paresthesias in both hands and lots of trouble with neck stiffness and fasciculations in both shoulders. I type for 8-1/2 hours from Tuesday to Saturday. I have concluded from this that onset of carpal tunnel starts when a person(male or female) is 40 or above 40 years of age.   ...

On-Hands Transcription
Jan 15, 2010

I have applied for a job with On-Hands Transcription - I do not see information on here - positive or negative.  I was hoping that somebody who actually has worked or currently works for them could post some information - positive and negative about the company and the accounts that they transcribe.  Any information would be appreciated. ...

Show Of Hands Please
Mar 04, 2010

can i see a show of hands of how many of my fellow MT's are THIS CLOSE to throwing in the towel, not only with MQ, but just transcription companies in general?  I am first, who's next?  Let me see those hands!!! ...

Hands-On Transcription
Dec 27, 2010

I found some old posts in the Archives but was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with this company. Their website is a one-pager with not a whole lot of information but looks legit enough. Also, is Bayscribe easy to learn and utilize?  Will it interfere with any player I currently use for voice files?  I have never used any kind of platform - always just digital voice files and Word. Any information or input on either question is appreciated. Thanks! ...

Throwing My Hands Up...well Almost
Aug 11, 2011

I have been job hunting since May of this year.  I don't have acute care experience, lots of Radiology and clinic experience.  (11 years).  I have passed tests, I have sent out resumes, I have tried job boards, etc.  I either a) Never hear anything; 2)  Been told, hey you passed with flying colors but we already picked our applicants; 3) Been told they needed me, then did a 180 and said no they didn't but will hold my resume; and 4) Been told my system is too u ...

Throwing My Hands Up In The Air.
Oct 18, 2011

I refuse to test any more!!  I am sick of being directed to the mttest site only to have 4 or more reports waiting to be done that are 5-8 minutes long each!!  Seriously, if they want to see my skills, just let me try and work for them for a while.   I just refuse to test any more.  It is ridiculous considering what they want to pay anyway.  Sigh.  Done venting! ...

Cold Hands
Nov 07, 2011

I'm finding that my hands are freezing these days when i type and it really slows down my typing. i work in room that is not that well heated, but not freezing either. does anyone have any ideas for me? ...

Is Hands On Mandatory?
Mar 16, 2012

Is the Hands On seminar mandatory?  I prefer not to take it as I am meeting the required line counts and just want to be left alone so I can do my job.  ...

All Hands Meeting
Mar 19, 2012

anyone else trying to attend this all hands meeting?  All I hear is music ...

HANDS ON TRANSCRIPTION IS THE BEST
Jun 21, 2012

Have all of you gone crazy? I have worked for C and Hands On for more than 10 years, have always gotten paid, always had work every day just as promised, and love the flexibility of my job. It is obvious that those of you who were not doing your job, and therefore have too much time on your hands, because you can't find another job are posting this non sense. I know C has been in business for 30 years starting from scratch. Tell me....how does someone stay in business for that long in ...

Show Of Hands
Jul 11, 2012

working on a new compensation plan? I think that all went out the window with the JP Morgan/Chase thing. ...