A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

It's time to start drawing some lines. Please DO NOT apply - to companies using the "VBC" pay scheme.

Posted: May 13, 2015

This is not only a reprehensible and indefensible pay scheme but it defies logic.  Why is the thumb any different from the other fingers, or the space bar any different from the other keys that have to be pressed to create a document?  In fact, if you check any table of computer character codes, you will find that THE SPACE IS A CHARACTER, complete with its own code.  The space is REQUIRED IN ORDER TO MAKE SENSE OF THE OTHER CHARACTERS.

We get no respect at all from the MTSOs in this industry, from medical records directors, from most physicians or even from our own trade organization. 

Hardly surprising, seeing that we've done nothing to demand the respect that WE DESERVE BASED ON THE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS THAT THIS WORK DEMANDS.  We should have downed tools LONG AGO, MY SISTERS AND BROTHERS!!

Maybe we can at least draw the line here:  DO NOT APPLY TO ANY EMPLOYER THAT USES THE "VISIBLE BLACK CHARACTER" PAYMENT SCHEME - PLEASE!!

How stupid! - So

[ In Reply To ..]
Iguessalltheirreportswilllooklikethis.

Not long ago I read a post - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
on this site about an MT who was on an interview, and the person conducting the interview told her he did not want to pay for spaces. This very witty MT (I always liked that in a person) answered him quickly stating she could leave them out. I laughed my arse off when I read that. I think we should all borrow this answer whenever a company tells us they won't pay for spaces. Okay, we'll leave them out!

or.put.a period.after.every.word.so ya.get.paid - for.every.visible.character

[ In Reply To ..]
At.least.the.hospital.staff.can.still.read.the.report!

They.have.some.nerve.not.paying.for.spaces!

I'd say something else - anon

[ In Reply To ..]

Whatever you're smoking, it's time to share.  Laughing

Getting back to business, the rock bottom minimum anyone should accept for VBC is 9.5 cpl. That would translate into 8 cpl for the 65-char line with spaces.

that is still - not enough

[ In Reply To ..]
We should have refused to accept that years ago. That is why it is half that now. No one in management at MTSOs is on food stamps. The offshore MTs create the mess we are cleaning up. Let them and management figure out how to do transcriptionist correctly first time through and let it go to hospitals a mess. Everyone just leave. Do that for yourself. Let's have some self-respect.

I say if they are not going to pay you for the work that you have to do - dont put them in

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe not paying you for work you have to do is against the law. So give them just what they pay you for:

Thepatientisa20-year-oldwoman.

I work on a VBC pay scale and I actually like it. - Nn

[ In Reply To ..]
I have done the math and I actually make more. I think that when you break it down into exactly how much you get payed on either pay scale per character it is pretty comparable.

The bottom line is that one should get paid - for all the work

[ In Reply To ..]
one performs. The pay rate is beside the point. That's like a musician getting paid for each note played, but not the rests in between--ridiculous.

that is not even - remotely possible

[ In Reply To ..]
You must have been in remedial math. You make more???? Lol.

payed????? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Payed???? - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Before you post about a person's grammar skills maybe you should educate yourself on the rules and regs of this forum.

Similar Messages:

Tried To Apply For The Second Time To Softscript.
Oct 17, 2011

I posted below that my application and resume to Softscript would not upload when I tried over the weekend.  Someone suggested I email jobs@ softscript which I did and got a response from a woman who said she did not receive my application and to please fill it out again.  Well I just did that and it still will not go through.  I replied to her email about this, said I don't know what else I can do and thanked her.  Guess I'm just not supposed to work there.  T ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

When You Apply For Part Time Position...
Feb 06, 2014

do you list your current position on your resume? Thinking of leaving my current position off the list. ...

Anyone Know Start Time For 2nd Shift At Transtech? PT Or FT? Nm
Jan 30, 2012

Nm ...

Can Someone Tell Me What Time Does Night Shift Start
May 16, 2014

East coast/West coast. Like everything else, it is almost impossible to find out!! Thanks so much!!   ...

Guess It's Time To Start Job Hunting.
Jan 28, 2015

I've been here for years and work on the worst accounts I've ever had in my life, only to make peanuts.  Now they're trying to take away the only good thing I have left, my schedule.  I wonder how many people they're going to lose this way.  If I had wanted to work 2nd and 3rd shift, I would have taken a job with that schedule in the first place.  Does it even occur to them that we took this job with our particular shift in the first place because that ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time?
Oct 18, 2010

Can anyone tell me approximately how many lines would be considered full time work as an at home independent contractor? ...

How Many Lines Do Most Companies Consider Full-time?
Mar 23, 2011

Just curious.....Thanks!! ...

Does Anyone Work Full-time Lines With Just One Job?
Jan 29, 2013

I have always worked for several different companies to make sure I can get a full-time line count.  It frustrates me, because I apply for a "full-time" job and it is barely part-time on a daily basis.  So, then I obtain another job to help supplement the first one and I don't know, it just gets to the point of overwhelming me when they both seem busy at once. Is it possible these days to have ONE job that provides you with full-time lines or am I dreaming?  I am very unders ...

While Drawing UE And You Refuse A Job (sm)
Sep 24, 2010

....maybe the pay was too low, etc, etc.  If you answer the weekly question on UE - did you refuse work this week and you answer yes, what can they do?  Lower your UE, stop it altogether?  ...

Calculating Lines Per Hour Versus Time Worked
May 14, 2010

Hi everyone:) Just wanted to know how to calculate a line rate based on the number of hours worked, which is for Transcend.  Got a "not so nice" message from my TL saying I had better adjust my lines AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to make it balance out with the # of lines I am producing, or else!!  I would like to know if 1 of you kind, wonderful MTs would help me.  Thanks!! ...

How Many Lines Required For Part Time Per Pay Period? Thinking Of Going PT. Thanks.
Mar 18, 2014

nm ...

Do Our Lines Per Hour Include Or Exclude Inactive Time?
Jun 18, 2014

When figuring your lines per hour, is that for the whole time you are clocked in or is inactive time deducted? ...

Dazzling Stupid 6.1 Drawing Extended
Sep 13, 2010

They are not even giving a date... just waiting for everyone to have the opportunity.   Could those of you just sitting there waiting for someone to force you just download the program and use it already.  Some of us are inpatient! ...

Help I Am Drawing A Blank... Farasulphate? Spelling Plz! Nm
May 09, 2011

thanks! ...

Anyone Know The Minimum Number Of Hours And Lines Per Week Required For Part-time
Aug 04, 2010

MT/ME positions at Medquist? ...

If I Start Some Coding Training, Do I Need To Start Learning ICD-9 Or ICD-10?
Jan 09, 2010

nm ...

My Start Menu Is Sideways And My Desk Top Is Sieways As Well And The Start Menu Is In The Upper Righ
Aug 12, 2013

My start menu is in the upper right hand corner and the desk top is on the side.  How can I fix it? ...

Medication - S/l "corsitin" - Drawing A Blank. TIA
Apr 28, 2010

. ...

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

Is It True That FOCUS, Only Counts Half Of Your Lines When Calculating VR Lines?
Jan 30, 2012

if you make 4 cents per line at 1000 lines a day, they really calculate it at 500 lines per day x 4 cents, making it really 2 cents per line for the full 1000.   I heard this, and I am really interested in knowing if it is true. ...

Told Nuance Was Overcharging For Lines, Now Lines Drastically Reduced
May 02, 2012

My main account was a good one, and the lines were very good, mostly ER work. I have been on this account for over a year and a half now. We recently received an e-mail stating that Nuance had discovered that the line count was charging incorrectly, as instituted by them, and they had been crediting us with MORE lines than we were actually doing and overcharging the client. Now get this, they informed us that they would not make US pay it back, for their mistake, but that our new lines would re ...

TransTech Lines - Required Hours But Are Short Lines?
Jun 10, 2011

What do you do when you have the required hours but are short lines? I got an email that I need to "make plans to have my shortage made up." The only problem is that I'm up to date with my hours for the pay period so far. The other problem is that I have plans Saturday night and Sunday (both being my scheduled time off) that don't include TransTech. It's getting harder and harder to defend this company when they can't hold up their end of the agreement and continually ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average During The Day/week?
Jan 19, 2011

Just wondering if the TT MTs would like share ... how many lines do you average during the day/week?  I'm doing about 9,000 to 10,000 a week and wonder if I should be pushing myself more.  How much of your count is VR?  I do probably 15% traditional and 85% VR but that, of course, varies week to week.   ...

Custom Lines Versus Standard Lines
Jan 08, 2013

Which do you use - custom lines - 65 character lines with spaces or standard lines - seems like so much more for standard lines????   Cathy ...

Are MS Word Lines The Same As Medquist Lines?
Jan 18, 2011

I am having a discrepancy issue with lines....wondered if MS Word and Medquist use a different number of characters per line.  Thanks.... ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average Per Day
Jul 13, 2011

How many lines do you average per day - VR and traditional?  I know it's been VERY slow lately, but when things are going well, how many lines do you normally get? I'm trying to figure out where the average numbers are.  For me, I do about 350 trad and about 1400 VR in 8 hours. Well, my timesheet says 8 hours, but my clock says that number MAY(!) be a little higher.  Again, these are numbers I pull when things are going well and I'm not waiting for work to download. I'v ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

Help -- How Do I Apply For PTO?
Oct 21, 2010

TIA for your help. ...

Should I Re-apply?
Nov 20, 2010

I applied to RI Unlimited 3 months ago and never heard back--should I reapply?  I got emails saying that I passed everything and then they said I would hear back but never did.  What is your advice? Thanks. ...