A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is it me or does the dictation quality of the dictators seem worse these days? sm - wondering

Posted: Jul 11, 2012

I've been at this almost 30 years and it seems that today's dictators just do not care.  Yes, there were dictators "back in the day" who mumbled, shuffled papers, dictated at the speed of lightning, etc., but it didn't seem like there were as many of them.  These days, it seems like nobody cares what they're dictating or how they're dictating it.  I've had dictators clearly read over a mistake in a template (expander mistake, wrong word, etc.,), they dictate the wrong word, pause as if they know it's a wrong word, and keep right on going without even mentioning it!  (We, of course, flag it for correction.)  They dictate in their cars on their cell phones going through tunnels and dead zones - and continue to do so even though their dictation is returned with tons of holes because of dropped reception and they've been asked not to do so in order to fill in those holes.  They shuffle papers, they listen to the radio and refuse to turn it down or off even though they've been told that we cannot hear the dictation over the music.  They dictate with kids yelling and dogs barking and refuse to close the door or go to another room.  What has happened?????

Wondering - Runamok

[ In Reply To ..]
I, too, wonder what the heck happened but I think some are spoiled and are doing everything "half-azzed". They are using and abusing technology (cell phones, digital dictation) and thinking it will/should pick up the undetectable! Back in "the day", it seemed we only had a few of them that acted like this and they were the docs who brought in the high volume patients for the hospitals so they got away with more, at least where I worked. I have also done this for 30 years. We even had a doctor throwing charts and screaming that he did the dictation when he was FINALLY told he would no longer have privileges if he did not get his dictation caught up. One of the charts hit one of the employees in medical records. It happens she went to school with his father who was also a physician and she told him she should bend him over her knee and bust his rear. She also told his father about it and he must have said something because Junior called her up and apologized and got his dictation caught up overnight!
About 10 years ago I worked for a prominent hospital in the midwest transcribing at home and if a physician was difficult to understand, dictated on the cell phone, ate while dictating, etc., he got 3 warnings. After that, he had to supply his own transcriptionist for a certain amount of time (cant' remember how long). They didn't put up with anything and let them know that it was all about the patient and getting it done right and that we were just as important in that process as they were. Only place I ever worked where WE were important and they wanted feedback and they paid very well. Very low turnover and they prided themselves on that. I moved across country to care for my ill father. I think they outsource now. I know they don't have the same HIM as they had before.

Similar Messages:

Is It Just My Imagination Or Is The Quality Of Dictators Out There Getting Progressively Worse?
Jul 23, 2011

I know that a lot of my perception is being influenced by the mass influx of ESL dictators over the last few years, but the problem just doesn't seem to be about accents;  it seems that the dictators are much more sloppy and careless than they used to be in time past.  Also, some of the younger ones seem to consider dictating to be some sort of a game. It's as if they do things on purpose to make the dictation more difficult (such as racing through certain portions of the nar ...

Worse Dictators
Jun 05, 2012

I'm new to having to work work for a service. Recently the only work availabe has been the absolutely worst dictator I have ever done in my 25 years transcribing for hundreds of different doctors and specialties. With the platforms being used, can you tell if you are getting previous rejected jobs? There is no way to make more than $1. an hour with this guy. They also have Word programmed to delete one of the spaces between sentences, essentially a keystroke not being paid, as well as a ...

How Is It That The Worse Dictators Seem To Gather To The Same Hospitals?
Aug 14, 2010

xx ...

Quality Getting Worse?
Jan 22, 2014

I had some horrible reports lately! I had one today that was horrid that I know will get me a big fat FIESA report! Also a few others that were really bad. Has anyone else noticed this? ...

Could The Sound Quality Get Any Worse?
Nov 20, 2011

Is it just me or is the sound quality just getting worse and worse?  Distorted, static, background noise, on and on.  And these are doctors who used to be crystal clear.  I am adjusting the tone & jamming my headset onto my ears but that's a waste of time. Very frustrating.  Just my gripe o' the day. ...

Is The Sound Quality Much Worse
Feb 15, 2012

or is it just me? Static, low volume, horrible! ...

VR Quality Worse Since Friday?
Jan 17, 2013

Have you noticed the VR is even worse than usual since the outage on Friday?  I wonder if they had to restore from backup and lost some months of its so-called learning. ...

Dictators Who Eat During Dictation
Dec 14, 2011

This really bugs me, and I usually don't mention anything about it, but I am doing a report by a PA, and she is just crunching away while dictating, and can hardly talk while she is eating.  She is eating like her life depends upon it, and this is totally rude and obnoxious.  I have heard it all though, and there is not 1 MT I have known that hasn't experienced this.  They eat, go to the bathroom, have children in the background that they don't try to keep quiet, do ...

Sound Quality And Dictators Terrible?...sm
Dec 02, 2013

Current Probity employee about to be sucked up by the impersonal big company.  Anyway, has anybody noticed in the last two weeks all the good dictators are gone and there's nothing left but the garbage dictators and poor sound quality?  I have struggled all evening and have a total of about 300 lines.  Ran out of work both Saturday and Sunday nights which has never happened in the past.  Either I'm on the s**t list or the work is already transitioning somewhere else ...

Quality Of Dictators, Line Count Going Down
Apr 14, 2015

It seems to me in recent weeks the quality of dictations, both the doctors and the audio quality, have gotten worse.  When I first started this account, I was given pretty much the same doctors consistently, plus others.  Now, I get mostly random dictators, and the only ones I get more than once are the really bad ones.  As a result, my line count has been going down.  I swear though, after we "upgraded" to the newer version of Fluency, it has become harder to make the lines ...

3 Pet Peeves Of Dictators All In One Dictation
Feb 16, 2011

Three pet peeves that I have when it comes to dictators are eating, coughing, and sneezing.  I got 'em all in one piece of dictation.  All the way through words are separated by smacking noises, coughing, sneezing, and snorting.  These doofuses should be made to listen to their own dictation.  There are more sound effects than words.  Sorry, just had to vent. ...

Quality Of Dictation
Jan 09, 2011

I work for MedQuist.  Why is it some days I get pretty decent dictation with some bad ones mixed in there and then all of a sudden there will be days I have bad quality dictation all day? Anybody else? ...

Dictation Quality
Jul 17, 2012

Why is it always the massively long jobs that have to have horrible dictation quality or horrible dictation?!? M*Modal's dictation system leaves something to be desired under the best of circumstances, but it always seems the long ones are particularly awful, or maybe that's just my luck! :( ...

Wow, These Companies Are Getting Worse And Worse Regarding Testing...sm
Sep 01, 2010

This company's written test says that I can't use any references, but based on the questions they're asking, I'd have to be a doctor to be able to answer them!  So am I to assume that I can't use references when I work either?  So sick of jumping through hoops for these companies... ...

Lousy Dictators - Crappy, Hard To Understand Dictators, Both ESL And English-speaking
May 17, 2014

Today I will make less than half of what I normally get because all I've gotten today are crappy, hard to understand dictators, both ESL and English-speaking.  Seems like all I get lately are the hard to understand, mush-mouth dictators.  Guess Nuance doesn't want their MTs making quota.  Sorry.  I just had to vent. ...

The Audio Seems Like It Is Getting Worse And Worse
Dec 03, 2013

on Fluency.   I have had problems with it all day.   ...

New Quality Index Vs Old Quality Score
Oct 18, 2014

I ran an error report for all reports, all accounts on my platform for this quarter, 10/1 - 10/18. So far the Quality Index is 84% vs Quality Score 99.18%.  Didn't they advertise this new error scoring as working out in our favor?  Doesn't look like it to me. This is based on 2194 jobs and 105,358 lines audited on E5.  I checked the box that says view all corrections on the correction report. ...

Is It Me Or Is ASR Just Getting Worse And Worse? Sm
Jun 26, 2010

I get really good dictators and the stupid machine screws up what is said and I am changing things all the time!  It is very frustrating and I should be getting more pay than I am because of this crap! ...

Which Is Worse?
Jul 27, 2010

Been sitting here a lot of the morning with NJA.  Then I finally get a 500+ second job and by George if it isn't a female resident who sounds like one of the Lollipop Guild from the Wizard of Oz.  I can't win anymore.  Let's see -- alcohol or drugs. . . . . . ...

Is It Me, Or Is DQS ASR Worse Every Day? (sm)
Sep 20, 2010

I thought this ASR crap was supposed to get better as it "learns" the doctors and their frequently-used phrases... didn't someone say that back in training? I'm talking about DSG in particular, but I know a lot of people use DQS ASR, so please bear with me. So, how come it now can't seem to get a single sentence without major corrections having to be done? I'm about ready to apply at McDonald's if this keeps up... my pay is about 1/3 of what it was when we did straight ...

Can It Really Get Worse?
Feb 14, 2011

I was terminated for reasons I won't go into here--after 9+ years at my last employer.  Thing is--I was looking anyway and informed potential employers that the company just was "no longer a good fit."  What finally tipped the balance was an e-mail we got a few months ago stating that after an MT had sent a certain percentage of reports to editing for comprehension issues, for instance, they would be penalized 0.03 cpl for doing so! Assuming this is legal, IMO, it's immoral ...

It Keeps Getting Worse
Feb 14, 2011

Now MTSO are offering 7 cents a line transcription and 3 cents editing??  When are we experienced MTs going to say enough is enough.  8 cents and 4 cents was bad enough, guess this is what they will try and get away with. ...

Worse Than Having No Job???
May 02, 2011

Hello all,I've been reading your messages regarding MedQuist and I'm a little confused about something. I see that most people are complaining about how horrible they are to work for, but what I'm wondering is, isn't working for them better than not having a job at all? I have only a little experience and am having a very difficult time finding work. I have been contacted by MedQuist and all of this talk makes me nervous. I am in dire need of a job though, so I'm thinkin ...

And It Gets Worse....
Oct 12, 2011

Had not heard of this before. Now it is automated dictation.  You know how the national weather service bulletins are computer generated voices, chopping and mispronouncing words, monotone, etc.?  Just got a call from a fellow MTE who is transcribing this type of dictation.  Very difficult.  I am disgusted.  All this technology has done is add steps to to accomplish a very simple job.  When I started in a doctor's office 30 years ago, we typed the dictation, pl ...

How Much Worse Can This ASR Get?
Jan 24, 2012

Dictator: The patient has a history of rheumatoid arthritis. ASR: The patient does have prior history of 12/11.   SERIOUSLY!!! ...

This Just Keeps Getting Worse
Apr 08, 2012

Dr dictates:  Levothyroxine ASR:  We both.  I are ox and Ludicrous! ...

Is It Really That Much Worse Than MM?
Feb 21, 2013

I really, really need another PT job right now, already work at MM, but am really getting close to broke.  I have looked and am still looking for other non-MT jobs, but need extra money now.   I just look at it as temporary.  I can do anything temporarily until I find something else.  Is it really that bad?  I read about the bad QA and FIESA.  I live in Ca, so IC is out of the question.  I guess I am just hoping part time will not be so stressful.&nbs ...

NJA-Seems A Whole Lot Worse
Jun 20, 2013

than before! ...

Does Anyone Else Do Worse When...
Mar 28, 2014

Like when you start a job and are on 100% QA. I am so nervous that I am missing so much that I shouldn't be missing.  A lot of it is having to learn a new platform and new dictators all at the same time.  For the first couple of days after their tech installed programs on my PC they were giving me instructions and the programs weren't working.  They had a different tech look at my PC and one of the programs wasn't even installed.  It seems like takes forever t ...

Why This Job Keeps On Getting Worse
Jun 11, 2014

The promise of the information age was as shiny as a brand new penny:  The availability of INFORMATION would make life better because we would have ready access to RELEVANT INFORMATION that would allow us to make INFORMED DECISIONS. Well, that promise assumes that people SHARE the information that they have, and hopefully do it in an honest and objective way. MT?  Ummm...Not so much.  I'm sick of this:  "I work for a great company that has a good platform, pays well an ...