A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is it just my imagination or is the quality of dictators out there getting progressively worse? - sm

Posted: Jul 23, 2011

I know that a lot of my perception is being influenced by the mass influx of ESL dictators over the last few years, but the problem just doesn't seem to be about accents;  it seems that the dictators are much more sloppy and careless than they used to be in time past.  Also, some of the younger ones seem to consider dictating to be some sort of a game. It's as if they do things on purpose to make the dictation more difficult (such as racing through certain portions of the narrative as fast as they can in a manner that they clearly believe to be funny).  It just doesn't seem that we're partnering with the clinician to produce a quality medical document.  It's as if the entire weight of the quality is placed solely on our backs while they have little to no responsibility in the matter.  I know that we're here to serve, but there's a fine line between giving quality service and just plain being abused.  Don't send me out to run a race but then break my legs before I even get out of the gate and expect me to win. 

I'm really feeling like I have some sort of 'abused wife syndrome' today.  I'm doing the very best that I can to put out quality work, but I'm not getting much cooperation, and nothing I do seems to be good enough, but the problem in this equation is not me!

As you can tell, I'm very frustrated today.  Thank you for allowing me to vent about it.  No flames or negative responses please.  I'm just not up to taking even more of a beating while I'm down.   

I totally understand where you are coming from..... - Old-n-tired

[ In Reply To ..]
I have run into one dictator lately who dictates every medication in grams...i.e., morphine 5 GRAMS IV, Xanax 1 GRAM t.i.d.....and another one today dictated iron 5 GRAMS b.i.d. (this after already dictating it at 325 mg which would be 5 GRAINS, not grams). These were changed by me to the proper dosage, but it scares me to think that a new MT could get these dictators and transcribe verbatim, not knowing any better or taking the time to research the proper dosing of these medications. As far as an influx of ESLs.....hoo boy, I don't even want to go there....sigh.

I think you're right. They just don't seem to care - if their dictation is even understood at all. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Dictators getting worse - tl

[ In Reply To ..]
You said it so well. It's like being raked over the coals and nobody cares. I also wonder about the quality of patient care. So often, I've thought I'd sure hate to be that doctor's patient.

I don't know if they're really getting worse - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it's the perception because that's all we get. I think they've always been pretty bad, but they were balanced by better dictators. Now anybody that is good goes to VR or offshore, leaving us these horrible people.

Adding insult to injury, they have steadily increased the QA requirements, too. It has gone from 97%, which is still pretty dang good, to a current 99%, even while they're breathing down our neck to type more faster, and the doctors are dictating with their cell phones on the sink while they're "busy" in a bathroom stall. Yeah, that's conductive to 99% accuracy.

Yeah, I feel really respected when they can't stop their conversation with another doctor - to do their dictation. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It's really, really frustrating to have them laughing and joking with someone else in the room in random places in the middle of sentences. It not only makes our job much more difficult to separate what is actually dictation and what is random conversation, but it shows just how little they actually respect us.

Here's something my team leader sent about dictators. - mtm

[ In Reply To ..]
DICTATION GUIDELINES FOR DOCTORS Adherence to these guidelines will assure the highest quality transcribed reports in the shortest amount of time. 1. At the beginning of the dictation, take as deep a breath as you can. Now, try to dictate the entire report before you have to inhale again.
2. When dictating a difficult word or phrase, turn your head and speak directly into your armpit.
3. We charge per character, including periods. An effective way to cut your costs is to dictate your entire report as one sentence.
4. It is not necessary to repeat the same sentence multiple times in the same dictation.
5. If you have to sneeze or cough suddenly, please remove your head from your armpit and sneeze or cough directly into the microphone.
6. If you must eat while you dictate, please stay away from foods such as marshmallows, bananas, and pudding. Apples, pretzels, and celery are much better choices.
7. Please don't stop dictating when you yawn. It throws off our rhythm.
8. If the patient's name is Alan Ratzlaffenhasenphepherzinsky, please have the courtesy to spell "Alan" - there are several possible spellings. For the last name, simply state "the usual spelling".
9. It is not necessary to repeat the same sentence multiple times in the same dictation.
10. Please note: The phrase "well-developed, well-nourished white female" is only three syllables.
11. Cardiologists: It is not necessary to dictate at the rate of your patient's atrial fibrillation.
12. Do not stop dictating in the event of minor background noise such as an office party, the janitor's vacuum cleaner, a screaming infant, etc. Again, it throws off our rhythm.
13. Be sure to place the emPHAsis on the CORrect syLLABLE, especially if EnGLISH is your SECond lanGUAGE.
14. It is not necessary to repeat the same sentence multiple times in the same dictation.
15. Talk as fast as you possibly can. Fair's fair. After all, we type as fast as we possibly can.
16. Please speak as quietly as you can...We want to be able to hear what's going on around you.
17. If you need to pause for 5 or 10 minutes between words or phrases, pounding the receiver on the desk, or repeatedly saying "still dictating...still dictating..." or "check...check...check...check..." reminds us that indeed, you are still dictating.
18. Just because you need to use the restroom is no reason to stop dictating. Time is money!
19. Don't dictate so loudly that you disrupt your fellow physicians' football game in the doctors' lounge. In fact, you really should whisper all of your dictation, especially those lab values, since the information is confidential.
20. Similarly, if you are going to watch TV while dictating at home, please watch a war movie with lots of bombing and be sure to have the volume high enough so everybody in your living room can hear above your talking.
21. If you need to correct yourself-sorry, correct an error, please do not rewind the tape-sorry, do not back up and record over the error-sorry, wait, the mistake-just continue with the sentence-wait-go back-with the paragraph and fix the error-err, the mistake.
22. Please go back and delete the last guideline.
23. When dictating on your cell phone from your car, be sure to go through as many tunnels as possible. This will ensure confidentiality of the information.
24. You (y-o-u) do not need (n-e-e-d) to spell (s-p-e-l-l) obvious words (w-o-r-d-s) for us (u-s). It is our job (j-o-b) to know (k-n-o-w) how to (t-o) spell words that (t-h-a-t) we learned (l-e-a-r-n-e-d) in third (t-h-i-r-d) grade (g-r-a-d-e).
25. One last thing: It is not necessary to repeat the same sentence multiple times in the same dictation.

I am cracking up!! - Thank you!!

[ In Reply To ..]
That is the best thing I've read in a long time - and so very true! Thank you thank you thank you - just what I needed LMAO!!!

Quality of dictation - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
In the old days, a dictating clinician was expected to provide a decent dictation. If he/she did not, he/she was required to redo it. These days, it seems, the MTSOs and office managers do not DARE even inform the dictating clinician that they might CONSIDER improving their bad habits. For instance, they might not even realize that coughing into the microphone causes us pain. However, I tend to think that they don't know any better, and maybe I am in denial to think that they would really care about the quality of the dictations.

Priceless! How about the dictators - Susan

[ In Reply To ..]
who dictate at home with barking dogs, squawking parrots, and screaming children. Argghh

Similar Messages:

Is It Me Or Does The Dictation Quality Of The Dictators Seem Worse These Days? Sm
Jul 11, 2012

I've been at this almost 30 years and it seems that today's dictators just do not care.  Yes, there were dictators "back in the day" who mumbled, shuffled papers, dictated at the speed of lightning, etc., but it didn't seem like there were as many of them.  These days, it seems like nobody cares what they're dictating or how they're dictating it.  I've had dictators clearly read over a mistake in a template (expander mistake, wrong word, etc.,), they ...

Is It My Imagination Or Has Communications Gotten Worse At Transcend Since
Jun 16, 2011

they appointed that new communications committee (although not sure how they could get worse)?  Same with rewards, etc.   And all those inuendos about how change is great since that head honcho meeting last month - the only change I've noticed is that speechrec has gotten far worse.  Maybe that is what they consider good.  ...

Worse Dictators
Jun 05, 2012

I'm new to having to work work for a service. Recently the only work availabe has been the absolutely worst dictator I have ever done in my 25 years transcribing for hundreds of different doctors and specialties. With the platforms being used, can you tell if you are getting previous rejected jobs? There is no way to make more than $1. an hour with this guy. They also have Word programmed to delete one of the spaces between sentences, essentially a keystroke not being paid, as well as a ...

How Is It That The Worse Dictators Seem To Gather To The Same Hospitals?
Aug 14, 2010

xx ...

Quality Getting Worse?
Jan 22, 2014

I had some horrible reports lately! I had one today that was horrid that I know will get me a big fat FIESA report! Also a few others that were really bad. Has anyone else noticed this? ...

Could The Sound Quality Get Any Worse?
Nov 20, 2011

Is it just me or is the sound quality just getting worse and worse?  Distorted, static, background noise, on and on.  And these are doctors who used to be crystal clear.  I am adjusting the tone & jamming my headset onto my ears but that's a waste of time. Very frustrating.  Just my gripe o' the day. ...

Is The Sound Quality Much Worse
Feb 15, 2012

or is it just me? Static, low volume, horrible! ...

VR Quality Worse Since Friday?
Jan 17, 2013

Have you noticed the VR is even worse than usual since the outage on Friday?  I wonder if they had to restore from backup and lost some months of its so-called learning. ...

Sound Quality And Dictators Terrible?...sm
Dec 02, 2013

Current Probity employee about to be sucked up by the impersonal big company.  Anyway, has anybody noticed in the last two weeks all the good dictators are gone and there's nothing left but the garbage dictators and poor sound quality?  I have struggled all evening and have a total of about 300 lines.  Ran out of work both Saturday and Sunday nights which has never happened in the past.  Either I'm on the s**t list or the work is already transitioning somewhere else ...

Quality Of Dictators, Line Count Going Down
Apr 14, 2015

It seems to me in recent weeks the quality of dictations, both the doctors and the audio quality, have gotten worse.  When I first started this account, I was given pretty much the same doctors consistently, plus others.  Now, I get mostly random dictators, and the only ones I get more than once are the really bad ones.  As a result, my line count has been going down.  I swear though, after we "upgraded" to the newer version of Fluency, it has become harder to make the lines ...

Wow, These Companies Are Getting Worse And Worse Regarding Testing...sm
Sep 01, 2010

This company's written test says that I can't use any references, but based on the questions they're asking, I'd have to be a doctor to be able to answer them!  So am I to assume that I can't use references when I work either?  So sick of jumping through hoops for these companies... ...

Friday - Is It My Imagination?
Aug 13, 2010

On Friday, all my coworkers seem to take off early.  I thought Friday was a work day.  LOL. ...

Lousy Dictators - Crappy, Hard To Understand Dictators, Both ESL And English-speaking
May 17, 2014

Today I will make less than half of what I normally get because all I've gotten today are crappy, hard to understand dictators, both ESL and English-speaking.  Seems like all I get lately are the hard to understand, mush-mouth dictators.  Guess Nuance doesn't want their MTs making quota.  Sorry.  I just had to vent. ...

I Don't Believe It Is My Imagination Cherrypicking/bad Dictator Holiday Weekend
Apr 07, 2012

Look, we are a team here... and I thought we work together.  If we were working together riddle me this, why am I getting so many dictations today which are dictators who really really don't speak English at all and would need tons of blanks?  Seriously... is any one else experiencing this today?  Being Passover and Easter I understand the regular dictators are not on, and being the weekened, but can't we all share in the joy, and not have so many cherry picking? I fina ...

Is This A Figment Of Someone's Imagination. Mmodal Transcription Opportunity.
Oct 03, 2012

M*Modal Transcription Opportunity - M*Modal Posted: Oct 2nd, 2012 - 2:18 pmM*Modal 5000 Meridan Blvd Franklin, TN 37067 mmodal@rightthinginc.com M*Modal is now accepting applications for Acute Care transcriptionists! Positions offer flexible afternoon/evening hours, great pay, sign on bonus, shift differential and benefits!At M*Modal We Are Committed to: Respect: We treat each other and our customers with respect, valuing individual and cultural differences and approaches to work. Teamwork: We ...

The Audio Seems Like It Is Getting Worse And Worse
Dec 03, 2013

on Fluency.   I have had problems with it all day.   ...

New Quality Index Vs Old Quality Score
Oct 18, 2014

I ran an error report for all reports, all accounts on my platform for this quarter, 10/1 - 10/18. So far the Quality Index is 84% vs Quality Score 99.18%.  Didn't they advertise this new error scoring as working out in our favor?  Doesn't look like it to me. This is based on 2194 jobs and 105,358 lines audited on E5.  I checked the box that says view all corrections on the correction report. ...

Is It Me Or Is ASR Just Getting Worse And Worse? Sm
Jun 26, 2010

I get really good dictators and the stupid machine screws up what is said and I am changing things all the time!  It is very frustrating and I should be getting more pay than I am because of this crap! ...

Which Is Worse?
Jul 27, 2010

Been sitting here a lot of the morning with NJA.  Then I finally get a 500+ second job and by George if it isn't a female resident who sounds like one of the Lollipop Guild from the Wizard of Oz.  I can't win anymore.  Let's see -- alcohol or drugs. . . . . . ...

Is It Me, Or Is DQS ASR Worse Every Day? (sm)
Sep 20, 2010

I thought this ASR crap was supposed to get better as it "learns" the doctors and their frequently-used phrases... didn't someone say that back in training? I'm talking about DSG in particular, but I know a lot of people use DQS ASR, so please bear with me. So, how come it now can't seem to get a single sentence without major corrections having to be done? I'm about ready to apply at McDonald's if this keeps up... my pay is about 1/3 of what it was when we did straight ...

Can It Really Get Worse?
Feb 14, 2011

I was terminated for reasons I won't go into here--after 9+ years at my last employer.  Thing is--I was looking anyway and informed potential employers that the company just was "no longer a good fit."  What finally tipped the balance was an e-mail we got a few months ago stating that after an MT had sent a certain percentage of reports to editing for comprehension issues, for instance, they would be penalized 0.03 cpl for doing so! Assuming this is legal, IMO, it's immoral ...

It Keeps Getting Worse
Feb 14, 2011

Now MTSO are offering 7 cents a line transcription and 3 cents editing??  When are we experienced MTs going to say enough is enough.  8 cents and 4 cents was bad enough, guess this is what they will try and get away with. ...

Worse Than Having No Job???
May 02, 2011

Hello all,I've been reading your messages regarding MedQuist and I'm a little confused about something. I see that most people are complaining about how horrible they are to work for, but what I'm wondering is, isn't working for them better than not having a job at all? I have only a little experience and am having a very difficult time finding work. I have been contacted by MedQuist and all of this talk makes me nervous. I am in dire need of a job though, so I'm thinkin ...

And It Gets Worse....
Oct 12, 2011

Had not heard of this before. Now it is automated dictation.  You know how the national weather service bulletins are computer generated voices, chopping and mispronouncing words, monotone, etc.?  Just got a call from a fellow MTE who is transcribing this type of dictation.  Very difficult.  I am disgusted.  All this technology has done is add steps to to accomplish a very simple job.  When I started in a doctor's office 30 years ago, we typed the dictation, pl ...

How Much Worse Can This ASR Get?
Jan 24, 2012

Dictator: The patient has a history of rheumatoid arthritis. ASR: The patient does have prior history of 12/11.   SERIOUSLY!!! ...

This Just Keeps Getting Worse
Apr 08, 2012

Dr dictates:  Levothyroxine ASR:  We both.  I are ox and Ludicrous! ...

Is It Really That Much Worse Than MM?
Feb 21, 2013

I really, really need another PT job right now, already work at MM, but am really getting close to broke.  I have looked and am still looking for other non-MT jobs, but need extra money now.   I just look at it as temporary.  I can do anything temporarily until I find something else.  Is it really that bad?  I read about the bad QA and FIESA.  I live in Ca, so IC is out of the question.  I guess I am just hoping part time will not be so stressful.&nbs ...

NJA-Seems A Whole Lot Worse
Jun 20, 2013

than before! ...

Does Anyone Else Do Worse When...
Mar 28, 2014

Like when you start a job and are on 100% QA. I am so nervous that I am missing so much that I shouldn't be missing.  A lot of it is having to learn a new platform and new dictators all at the same time.  For the first couple of days after their tech installed programs on my PC they were giving me instructions and the programs weren't working.  They had a different tech look at my PC and one of the programs wasn't even installed.  It seems like takes forever t ...

Why This Job Keeps On Getting Worse
Jun 11, 2014

The promise of the information age was as shiny as a brand new penny:  The availability of INFORMATION would make life better because we would have ready access to RELEVANT INFORMATION that would allow us to make INFORMED DECISIONS. Well, that promise assumes that people SHARE the information that they have, and hopefully do it in an honest and objective way. MT?  Ummm...Not so much.  I'm sick of this:  "I work for a great company that has a good platform, pays well an ...