A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

IC tax - pay your SE taxes quarterly or you get penalized - jj

Posted: Feb 02, 2010

I have heard people on here say you have to pay your SE taxes quarterly or you get penalized.  I didn't do that.  I took my stuff to H&R block and they did my taxes with just a regular SE status, added to my employee status for my employee job.  They asked me if i had paid in anything and I told them no, but I didn't get penalized in any way.  Is that normal?  I am asking if the IRS will come back later and penalize me, or is that it, I just pay them at the end of the year and all comes out fine?  I'm confused.

Nevermind, think I found it - jj

[ In Reply To ..]
After getting the child tax credit and such, I didn't "owe" any taxes, I got some back. So the IRS site says you don't have to pay estimated taxes if you don't owe taxes from the previous year.

I did not pay quarterlies for a whole year once - and this is what happened

[ In Reply To ..]

I'm glad you got it figured out, but let me tell you how I got penalized for not paying my estimated quarterlies.  It was not really a big deal.

In 2008 I did not pay any of my quarterlies, I just didn't have the cash.  I knew would get dinged on my return, which I did with having to pay the whole sum at one time, but the actual penalty for not paying the quarterlies was not really that bad... I'm thinking it was something like $97 or $112, maybe $120.

Way worse than the penalty was having to now come up with that owed tax all at once.  That was more of a hardship than coming up with a quarter of it throughout the year would have been.  I will never let that happen again (knock wood).

In 2009, quarterlies were an absolute priority, no budging or fudging, and luckily I had a pretty good year until July when I lost an account to offshoring, then again in November when I lost another account to a cut-rate bottom-basement discount service.  I still found a way to pay the quarterlies, and since my income went way down the second half of the year, yet I paid estimated taxes based on my 2008 income which was nice and up there, I am hoping I actually overpaid and maybe will get a little refund... or at least have the shortage be a minimal amount. 

Paying my own taxes and health insurance are the main reasons I am looking to get out of the IC business.  The non-monetary benefits are not making up for how much it is costing out of my pocket. 

Got one worse than that, oh my! - Bad advice

[ In Reply To ..]
Last year doing our taxes, I told the lady who does them every year what my income would be this year, including a social security check, retirement fund and my payroll check. She advised me I would probably owe an extra 1,000 on my taxes. Like others I did not pay through the year but get this, thanks to someone on the board I found out this person probably was wrong, very wrong and instead after calling IRS and talking with them my tax will be abount $7500.00 for this year. I was saving towards that starting in November and then decided to just draw out of bank and pay the entire amount when I do my taxes. This was not my highest tax burden ever but I have started having 25% of taxes taken out of my social security check each month now.
Did this before, too. - TaxesSuck
[ In Reply To ..]
I have never been able to save that money, so I switched to employee status at my part-time MT job. BUT I was able to put in for a payment plan each year and the IRS always accepts it. Just something to think about if, like me, you can't save that money no matter how you try.

Similar Messages:

IC Tax - Need To File Taxes On A Quarterly Basis?
Feb 21, 2011

I recently took my first job as an IC.  My husband says I'll probably need to file taxes on a quarterly basis.  A coworker who's also an IC says she's going to file at the end of the year.  I will be talking to my accountant about this but thought some of you could tell me how you handle this as ICs before I go see her.  Thanks! ...

Quarterly Taxes Coupon Book
Jul 06, 2011

I used to file quarterly taxes (I am an IC) but turned it over to an accountant.  I am between accountants right now so I will be taking that little job back.  I can remember having a coupon type book for this little chore.  How do I get a coupon book again and what is the name of the form I need to fill out?  TY ...

MT Subcontractor - Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes In Addition To Federal Income Taxes?
Jun 18, 2011

As a subcontractor performing medical transcription, do I have to pay self-employment taxes in addition to Federal Income Taxes? ...

Anyone Ever Pay Monthly Taxes For Taxes Owed
May 12, 2014

I owed a bit of money for last years taxes, which I do not have so am making monthly payments.  I sent in the form to request to pay monthly, but have not heard anything back.  Has anyone done this and is this unusual (that I have not heard back anything)?  I was reading all these websites and they were saying just keep mailing in what you can each month until it's paid off and then you might owe penalties, which I understand.  It stinks, but right now I have more bills ...

Penalized?
Mar 03, 2010

just to play it safe, i know next month starts the wonderful 10% submission and being penalized for it, but today if we send reports straight to qa, will they deduct us for anything??  I feel like i have a big knot in my stomach and my fingers can't move.  I feel like I am 6 years old again and its my first day of school.  I feel so paranoid about mq.  ...

Penalized For Blanks?
Aug 15, 2013

I thought I just saw something on here that said that we were being charged for blanks?  Are they actually doing this? If so I have not seen anything stating it.   ...

I Won't Be Penalized For Doing The Right Thing
Apr 23, 2015

Probity was a great company.  Nuance took over and well, you know the rest.  Approved my first time sheet on the new-new plan and got 7 cpl for QC over 10%, but 100% QA.  I will NOT work somewhere that I am penalized for thinking about patient safety and sending a horrible doctor's reports to QC for blanks.  Nuance, you can kiss my!   I'm done!  ...

Why Are We Being Penalized For QC Percentage Over 10%?!
Apr 27, 2015

This past pay period because my QC percentage was over 10% both weeks I calculated lost wages of almost $400.  The first week my quality was 100%, the second 99.7%.  The second week my QC percent was just a hair over 10%, but I of course ended up on the bottom of the pay grid, a difference of $150 for the week.  I don't send reports to QC because I'm lazy.  Why should we continue to get penalized for bad dictators, unknown names/business entities on new accounts, et ...

Do QCs Get Penalized For Correction Reversals?
Oct 15, 2014

Just had 5 corrections reversed because a QC misunderstood the account specs. How do they get penalized for their mistakes? ...

Has Anyone Been Penalized For Not Reaching Required Lines When There Is Simply No Work To Do?
Nov 06, 2014

I keep running out of work and cannot work a 12-hour shift simply to make lines needed. ...

RE: The Quarterly Newsleter - Sm
Jan 31, 2013

So the doctors are upset about the blanks being left in reports? Well, you get what you pay for. I'M upset about the crappy wage you pay for VR. And don't forget the extras we have to do that we are NOT paid for. Increase our wages and that will decrease the blanks. I don't spend a lot of time researching anymore, cuts down on my pay. Besides, I spent all of last year doing it the "right" way and my income suffered for it. I made 1/2 of what I made the previous year at ...

Got Your Quarterly Bonus?
Apr 29, 2013

I saw a note below that someone had already gotten their quarterly quality bonus.  Just wondering if anyone else received theirs yet? ...

Quarterly Bonus?
Jul 08, 2013

To those of you have received the last quarterly bonus, were you notified when you qualified and how soon after the quarter ended did you receive notification?  Thanks! ...

Quarterly Bonus - NOT
Jul 30, 2013

Did I miss something?     I did not get bonus because LPH was 183, not LPH 186.   I do not recall that being part of the equation, or am I misinformed?     ...

Last Quarterly Bonus
Jan 07, 2015

Is it true, if we're eligible for this last quarterly bonus, that we won't receive it if we quit before it is deposited in our bank account? ...

Last Quarterly Bonus?
Jan 08, 2015

Anyone have any idea when this will be paid out?  I have asked TSM and HR, payroll and can't get a response from anyone.  ...

What Happened To The MQ Connections Quarterly
Mar 17, 2011

newsletter.  First and only one was November - we should have had one in Feb.  I guess this bit the dust too.  Oh, well.  Typical MQ. ...

Nuance Quarterly Bonus??? (SM)
Mar 22, 2013

Does anyone know when this might be paid?  Coming from Transcend, we were "grandfathered" in at 99% and supposed to get 10% for the first quarter.  Does it include all money earned including the bonus we get if we have over 12,501 lines or just our measly base rate?  I guess this is my one and only bonus here.  Appreciate your help.  ...

When Does The Quarterly Bonus Get Paid To Us?
Apr 05, 2013

When does the quarterly bonus get paid to us?  Is it a separate check?  I have been new to Nuance since the first of the year.   ...

New Quarterly QA For Time Sheet
Jul 08, 2013

This is the time sheet for the second week of the third quarter. Shouldn't the QA score on the bottom reflect the new third period QA? Because mine is very high and not indicative of the poor work I am doing according to TL e mail. Is it me, or shouldn't the new QA score on the bottom be for the new quarter (third)... any ideas? ...

Quarterly Bonus - My Emails Are Going Ignored
Jan 24, 2014

Since my emails are going ignored, can anybody tell me when this bonus will be paid out?  My paycheck is less than I made 20 years ago and I'd really like to know how to juggle bills and if I should even think about buying food without knowing when this will be paid.  Thanks in advance. ...

How Many People Are Getting Quarterly Bonus?
Mar 31, 2014

I was as of yesterday morning. I'm not as of now. ...

Quarterly Bonus 2nd Quarter
Jul 30, 2014

To anyone who is getting the quarterly bonus which is supposedly paid out on 7/31, has it shown up on ADT yet?  ...

FIESA QUARTERLY BONUS
Aug 06, 2014

There is something that I've been thinking of that truly breaks my heart. To think that some or most or all of us just miss getting the quarterly bonus by 2/10ths of a percentage point or 1/10th or whatever. Ultimately, that tiny fractionated number is a costly $500-800 mistake. Is it really worth it to even try anymore? I am so over feeling abused and belittled by this company. I made the bonus last time (first time ever), but my heart breaks for those who didn't get it and for mys ...

Quarterly Bonus Nuance
Oct 02, 2014

Hello, has anyone received a quarterly bonus this October (if you qualify)? I am not sure if I got the right month. I just want to hear news about quarterly bonus, and if anyone got them already. :-) ...

FIESA - Got The Quarterly Bonus
Oct 31, 2014

I got the quarterly bonus. I've had six jobs audited in 2 days and 15 jobs audited to this point, which is more than I've ever had in a 3 month period. Do you think somebody is trying to guarantee no more quarterly bonus for me? Oh wait, silly me, these audits are completely random on the worst of the worst dictators. ...

Last Quarterly Bonus Now Showing In ADP
Jan 28, 2015

Last Quarterly Bonus Question
Jan 28, 2015

So has everyone who thought they qualified had the bonus show up in ADT?  What was the criteria anyway, 100% in Fiesa? ...

Quarterly Newsletter From Nuance...Top 4 Producers
Oct 11, 2013

Who else read the newsletter with the top 4 producers?  What a joke. Nobody can type that much without cherry picking or having a friend on the inside sending you the good stuff. Same ol people as the top producers. I don't think they realize we aren't stupid. ...

When Are Quarterly Bonuses Paid Out This Month?
Dec 29, 2013

When are quarterly bonuses paid out this month? ...