A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Penalized? - gts

Posted: Mar 03, 2010

just to play it safe, i know next month starts the wonderful 10% submission and being penalized for it, but today if we send reports straight to qa, will they deduct us for anything??  I feel like i have a big knot in my stomach and my fingers can't move.  I feel like I am 6 years old again and its my first day of school.  I feel so paranoid about mq. 

my thoughts - scorned

[ In Reply To ..]
I bet what they are doing is giving us time to hang ourselves.

If you submit more than 5% this monthing, you will get fired for some reason.

This is just strongly how I feel.

Thoughts - wendi970@yahoo.com

[ In Reply To ..]
I think we should continue to work in the same manner as prior to this latest tactic. They will fire all of us who don't/can't/won't comply and then we can all collect unemployment while we are looking for better jobs.

how can you collect UE if they fire you? - thought you had to be laid off to collect

[ In Reply To ..]
Who knows.
UE - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I was fired 13 years ago in the state of Georgia from a non-MT job. They fought me even going as far as having the labor dept. set up a tape recorded board hearing. I ended up winning based on my documentation. I did receive full UE, but I only had to use it for a month before I found another job. It was so sweet to win that labor board hearing. I remember it to this day.

That is what they are banking on. Firing most of us. - They need to clean house.

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe if you fight it, you will still be able to collect, it will just make it more difficult.

Who doesn't get micro managed out of their job, will go through exactly what the former CBayer's did -- get called to an immediate meeting and let go. Period.

This is how they are cleaning house, getting rid of too many employees, without having to lay off all of them at once.
Fired - ex-MQ
[ In Reply To ..]
You are exactly right. I was fired about a month ago for what they said was a pt name error. Worked for the company 15 plus years and "promoted" (a joke) to MME. They kept finding things to complain about and warning me about errors. I know I didn't make the mistakes they say because I was so paranoid, because they kept threatening me I was triple checking things, especially the ADT info. They are going to get rid of the long time workers with the benefits and making the higher end pay, it has already started. Funny they are still advertizing for MTs, with only 1 year experience. They have an ad on MT Daily. Anyway watch your backs they are out to screw us all. No thank you for your loyal employment and working all those holidays and overtime, and basically doing everything asked of me. This company is only interested in the dollar profit, I wouldn't trust a thing they say. They are a greedy bunch of liars.
HIPAA Violations - Granny
[ In Reply To ..]
Patient errors are HIPAA voilations and you should be fired. Take some pride in your work !
Do you realize how many - blah
[ In Reply To ..]
violations we actually do. According to HIPAA regulations the patient's name should not be in the body of the report at all....but how many of our accounts want this done. We violate HIPAA every day. What about the people typing outside of the country? HIPAA regulations are for our country....they don't apply to people typing our personal medical history outside of our country. I still don't see why we allow our medical information to go outside of our country. I also don't understand why MQ allows us to type the patient's name in the body of the report no matter what an account wants. It is a HIPAA violation!!!
What's even worse - CyberlandMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Is that particular MD who wants the SS # inside the document! And MQ allows it because that's what the client wants. Evidently they think they are beyond HIPAA violations. I balked, but at least I have it in written documentation from QATL that I am to do it, so there you go. Cover yourself and document everything you are told to do.
Oh Please. - Willfull Neglect
[ In Reply To ..]
To be legally charged and found guilty and fined, WILLFULL NEGLECT has to be proven. I don't think an honest mistake would fall into that category.

PER HIPPA.ORG WEBSITE:

A penalty will not be imposed for violations in certain circumstances, such as if:

The failure to comply was NOT DUE TO WILLFULL NEGLECT, and was CORRECTED DURING A 30 DAY PERIOD after the entity knew or should have known the failure to comply had occurred (unless the period is extended at the discretion of OCR--office of civil rights); or

The Department of Justice has imposed a criminal penalty for the failure to comply (see below).

In addition, OCR MAY CHOOSE TO REDUCE A PENALTY IF THE FAILURE TO COMPLY WAS DUE TO REASONABLE CAUSE AND THE PENALTY WOULD BE EXCESSIVE GIVEN THE NATURE AND EXTENT OF THE NONCOMPLIANCE.

BEFORE OCR imposes a penalty, it will NOTIFY THE COVERED ENTITY and PROVIDE THE COVERED ENTITY WITH AN OPPORTUNITY TO PROVIDE WRITTEN EVIDENCE OF THOSE CIRCUMSTANCES that would REDUCE OR BAR A PENALTY. This evidence must be submitted to OCR within 30 days of receipt of the notice. In addition, if OCR states that it intends to impose a penalty, a covered entity has the right to request an administrative hearing to appeal the proposed penalty.

Criminal Penalties. A person who knowingly obtains or discloses individually identifiable health information in violation of the Privacy Rule may face a criminal penalty of up to $50,000 and up to one-year imprisonment. The criminal penalties increase to $100,000 and up to five years imprisonment if the wrongful conduct involves false pretenses, and to $250,000 and up to 10 years imprisonment IF THE WRONGFUL CONDUCT INVOLVES THE INTENT TO SELL, TRANSFER OR USE IDENTIFIABLE HEALTH INFORMATION FOR COMMERCIAL ADVANTAGE, PERSONAL GAIN OR MALICIOUS HARM. The Department of Justice is responsible for criminal prosecutions under the Privacy Rule.

I DOUBT that a HUMAN ERROR would be JUST CAUSE to throw an MT in JAIL or FINE. The information was not taken for monetary gain, i.e., sold to the highest bidder.

READ CAREFULLY: MQ is using SCARE tactics to do their shake down on us.

GO TO THE HIPPA.ORG WEBSITE. GET INFORMED. DON'T LET THE SUITS OF MQ BOTH AMERICAN AND INDIAN SIDES OF MQ SCARE YOU FOR NO GOOD REASON.

Even in HIPAA's own language AN HONEST MISTAKE IS AN HONEST MISTAKE.

If you are willfully making mistakes or selling information, then you deserve the penalties. BUT THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WILLFUL NEGLECT AND AN HONEST MISTAKE.

Why don't you JUST CLIMB DOWN FROM YOUR HIGH FRIGGIN HORSE GRANNY because unless you are a MANAGEMENT PLANT -- YOU ARE STILL ONE OF THE LITTLE GUYS WHO MQ CARES LESS ABOUT.

An honest mistake doe not mean that an MT DOES NOT TAKE PRIDE IN HER WORK. WE ARE STILL HUMANS HERE - EVEN COMPUTERS MAKE MISTAKES.

Just be quiet and go back to your cubicle and tell the suits WE ARE NOT BUYING THEIR BULL CRAP.
Typo -- should say HIPAA. Sorry. - oops.
[ In Reply To ..]
HIPAA.ORG

Please go on the HIPAA site and read.
Bravo! - oops
[ In Reply To ..]
Great response. Totally agree. Granny I hate to think you actually could be one of us.

Our work does require us to do everything we can to ensure our work is perfect. And I really believe the majority of us take that very seriously.

Unfortunately we are human and occasionally we do make mistakes. Especially now with all the new pressure added.

Hate seeing those of us who think we are more than human making others feel bad. I would rather believe you are management than to think you would be so heartless to one of your own.
Excellent. - Renee
[ In Reply To ..]
Excellent common sense post in response to good old Granny's idiotic one.
Heres what Im banking on: Getting fired, collecting UE, - and then having the time and energy to - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
take this fight up a notch or two. Off of MT bulletin boards, and out to the media. Anyone and everyone who will listen. There's a huge story here, not just ast MQ, but every company out there that is just like them, is doing this, and it's legally wrong, morally reprehensible, and should be raising a lot of eyebrows - in Washington, and in every corner America's healthcare industry. This country is just about to take on and shake out the Health Insurance industry, and while they're at it, they really need to put MT under a microscope.

I've already approached some of our local news media with the story. They're interested, fascinated, but are not into INVESTIGATIVE REPORTING. That takes more time and effort than they want to spend. Heck - as an unemployed MT, any one of us would then have more time to help those folks out with their fact-finding and investigations, wouldn't we?

MTs need to find a smart and respected INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER who wants a big story with all the necessary ratings qualifications: Human interest, job-loss anger, and most of all, putting unscrupulous executives in a jail cell.
Geraldo--we need you!!!! - n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

Similar Messages:

Penalized For Blanks?
Aug 15, 2013

I thought I just saw something on here that said that we were being charged for blanks?  Are they actually doing this? If so I have not seen anything stating it.   ...

I Won't Be Penalized For Doing The Right Thing
Apr 23, 2015

Probity was a great company.  Nuance took over and well, you know the rest.  Approved my first time sheet on the new-new plan and got 7 cpl for QC over 10%, but 100% QA.  I will NOT work somewhere that I am penalized for thinking about patient safety and sending a horrible doctor's reports to QC for blanks.  Nuance, you can kiss my!   I'm done!  ...

Why Are We Being Penalized For QC Percentage Over 10%?!
Apr 27, 2015

This past pay period because my QC percentage was over 10% both weeks I calculated lost wages of almost $400.  The first week my quality was 100%, the second 99.7%.  The second week my QC percent was just a hair over 10%, but I of course ended up on the bottom of the pay grid, a difference of $150 for the week.  I don't send reports to QC because I'm lazy.  Why should we continue to get penalized for bad dictators, unknown names/business entities on new accounts, et ...

IC Tax - Pay Your SE Taxes Quarterly Or You Get Penalized
Feb 02, 2010

I have heard people on here say you have to pay your SE taxes quarterly or you get penalized.  I didn't do that.  I took my stuff to H&R block and they did my taxes with just a regular SE status, added to my employee status for my employee job.  They asked me if i had paid in anything and I told them no, but I didn't get penalized in any way.  Is that normal?  I am asking if the IRS will come back later and penalize me, or is that it, I just pay them at the end of the year and ...

Do QCs Get Penalized For Correction Reversals?
Oct 15, 2014

Just had 5 corrections reversed because a QC misunderstood the account specs. How do they get penalized for their mistakes? ...

Has Anyone Been Penalized For Not Reaching Required Lines When There Is Simply No Work To Do?
Nov 06, 2014

I keep running out of work and cannot work a 12-hour shift simply to make lines needed. ...

It Still Irks Me That I Can't Ask For Another "ear" Without Getting Penalized!
Feb 10, 2011

How in the world are we supposed to learn anything new if we can't ask for help without the penalty of being docked and/or audited??  Are blanks supposed to be better than education? Do the docs truly like to see blanks in their reports? This company sucks big time! ...