A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I would like some ideas/knowledge about why all the companies only want 2nd and 3rd shift employees - anon

Posted: Jun 01, 2011

a job opening.  Even the company I work for says we are getting more work but it will be more towards the afternoon and evening. 

I don't do well  in the afternoon and evening.  By that time (around 4 o'clock) I start to give out.  I am tired and just don't do well.  I do much better in the morning after resting all night.

What gives with this?  It never used to be this way.  We always had work throughout the day actually and now every company is hiring only for 2nd and 3rd shift. 

Any ideas or comments or actual knowledge out there.  I sure would like to know why!

Thx

It's because the doctors dictate mostly in the evening - Old and Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
The companies don't want to "hold" the work until the next day-- it is supposed to be done ASAP because of the ridiculous TAT that is promised. Even working second shift, I still continuously run out of work.

doctors dictating habits - BeenThereMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Doctors don't "dictate mostly in the evening." This is another line of crap from the MTSOs. Most surgeons dictate immediately following a surgery, and when are these scheduled? Yes, starting bright and early in the morning, then throughout the day, and emergencies at any time. H&Ps are done either in advance of a planned admission or, gosh, asap. In other words, any hour of the day. Discharges can occur from early morning rounds until evening. Or how about that patient who decides to take a walk AMA? Consults occur at every hour of the day. ER notes? Again all hours of the day. Those docs tend to catch up on dictation in between busy times. Physicians making daily rounds dictate after each patient or group of patients on a floor.

2nd and 3rd shift MTs are needed as clean up crew, as well as the fact that many people want to work day shift. There's just a need to be filled for 24/7 work.

Then why does my company always say - Old and Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
That the "heavy dictation hours are upon us" in the evening and we are supposed to jump right in and get everything done? The doctors dictate immediately after surgery? I think not-- some of them are so late in their dictation that they can't remember whether the surgery was done on the right or the left. In a dream world, maybe, but not in the real world. Second and third shift people are not the "clean-up crew"-- most of the preop dictation comes late in the evening as well as a lot of transfers, etc.

All the day positions are filled by people who - sn

[ In Reply To ..]
only want or can work days. Coverage is required 24/7 these days.

I agree about the surgeries being dictated right after the surgery in most cases. The reason the do - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
and want to get on to the next thing.

AND, it wasn't this way before. Just a few months ago I had more work than I could imagine in the morning. Now, there is nothing!

I wonder if it is the company plays favorites (and I'm not one of them) and also if by the end of the day all the "favorites" are done working so of course there is a huge work load then because all of the "favorites" have gone home.

Is there anybody out there who works days? I am just so disheartened. I have been offered 4 jobs but number 1 they don't pay as well as where I am and they only have 2nd and 3rd shift and I can get THAT work. It's the morning I need. Just so frustrated, sorry!

hard time filling 2nd, 3rd shifts. Most MTs want to work - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
days and have their evenings free with their families like the rest of the population that work outside the house. That leaves most MTs signing on evenings and waiting for a day slot to open up. Might want to consider that.

Also, it has been my experience (40 decades) working both inhouse, then onsite with a service and at home with same including all shifts throughout the years, most doctors (not all) dictate heavily in the afternoon/early evening, what with appointments, rounds, etc. Radiology, on the otherhand, always runs heavy from 1pm or so right though the night in the hospital setting, and until closing time (usually regular 5 - 6 pm) at imaging centers. But mornings are slow rolling unless they didn't finish the day before and are playing catch-up.

Generally speaking - not concrete - but what I have seen out there.
40 decades? - Just an MT
[ In Reply To ..]
You've worked for 400 years? Maybe it just feels like that, lol!

lol - oops. 4 going on 40! - mt
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Avoid sending work overseas to be done? - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Tighter TAT? I like working early, early a.m. (2 or 3 a.m.) - if it means keeping jobs here in the US instead of sending them overseas, you do what you have to do. Nobody should cry about having no work if they aren't willing to step up to the plate to make a living. JMO.

- What a JOKE - Avoid sending work overseas ? - Marsha

[ In Reply To ..]
Make a living, what a joke. This job sucks and by the way if you think sending work overseas is the only threat to this crappy job you are wrong. Try the Epic EMR system which repalces MTs, coders, and billers, not to mention voice recognition, and people that are willing to work hours upon hours to make minimum wage. This job is doomed and MTs are being taken advantage of. I have over 21 years experience and made an hourly wage over 25.00 an hour less than 10 years ago. Guess what the laied off all the MTs. That is gone forever. I could work at MacDonalds and make more money in 8 hours. Wake up .... And by the way I know all about stepping up to the plate and working, but I am not a slave .... Do your homework....

Similar Messages:

Font Of Knowledge Vs. Fount Of Knowledge?
May 30, 2011

I can't quite figure out whether the dictation says font or fount.  Everything I find when I search on the internet states it could be either one.  Anyone know which is correct?  Thanks! ...

Third Shift Employees
Feb 16, 2010

As I am getting no work during the day shift anymore, I have the chance to go third shift Sun-Thursday (11-7), either that or find a new job (yeh right), or do ASR (done it at this company, no thanks to returning there).  I have never worked that one before.  How/when do you sleep?  Any other pros/cons about this shift?  Thaniks your your advice.    ...

Which Companies Hire EMPLOYEES?
Jan 31, 2012

I have a PT gig working as an IC but need a FT gig so want it as employee status. Which companies hire employees rather than ICs?  NO large nationals, please!  I'm not gonna go there.  :) ...

Are There Any Companies Left That Still Provide A Company Computer For Employees? Sm
Oct 07, 2012

I'm just talking about employees here, not ICs.  It amazes me that as a company employee, we would not be provided the most important tool we need to work with all set up to company specs, loaded with company s/w.  If we worked on site, would we be expected to bring in our own computers?  I don't think so. Thanks. ...

Any Knowledge Of ANP Transcription?
Apr 15, 2010

Anybody have any knowledge of ANP Transcription?  Good or Bad?   Thanks. ...

Fundant Knowledge?
Feb 12, 2011

On a neurologic exam: Normal speech, language, and s/l fundant knowledge. ...

Anyone Have Any Knowledge Of The Meditech Platform
Nov 21, 2009

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Meditech platform. I start with a new company soon and have no idea how it works. Would like to go into training with the learning curve in my favor... ...

Any Knowledge Of Lee Perfect Transcription?
Dec 21, 2012

Has anyone worked for or have any knowledge of Lee Perfect Transcription?  Would appreciate learning anything about them, good or bad.  Thx ...

PRN Military Transcription - Knowledge Of This Company
Jun 08, 2011

If anyone has knowledge of this company, would you please share what you think of it.  Enough work, flexible or not, platform, percent of ESL dictators, pay on time.  All this and anything else you would care to share would be much appreciated.  Thank you. ...

Focus Infomatics :: Firsthand Experience With Or Knowledge?
Jun 06, 2010

Does anyone have firsthand experience with or knowledge about this company - good or bad? ...

MModal Still Has Shift Differential For Night Shift?
Jul 01, 2013

can anyone tell me if MModal still has shift differential for night shift? I know they used to ...

OMG How Funny - Read Glassdoor Opinion Of Employees, US Versus Indian Employees!
Aug 05, 2013

I was just curious about what employees thought of Nuance on Glassdoor.  You read several US employee opinions and they reflect the morale listed on MTStars.  Scroll further down and read the opinions of the transcriptionists from India.  What a difference.  They are highly satisfied with their jobs and most have been working with Nuance for 6 to 7 years.  The US transcriptionists are very sad!!  What a difference..... ...

How To Transition From Day Shift To Night Shift
Dec 08, 2013

I've been offered an in-house MT position that I am not passing up. It is night shift 10 pm to 6 am. I've never worked a night shift ever. How should I transition into working nights? Anyone have any tips for working this shift? ...

Any Ideas??
Feb 12, 2012

Help! I am transcribing from some tapes, yes tapes, and the sound quality is extremely poor.  Wondering if anyone knows if conference mode versus dictation mode makes any difference in sound quality.  Need to do something.  Digital would be best if I can convince them to change.  Thanks for any suggestions. ...

Need Some Ideas.
May 24, 2012

Well this whole transcription thing is not going well. Duh! With a really bad work schedule, an hour commute each way and now the threat of the hospital outsourcing our department, I am trying to think of something I can do from home besides work for peanuts for a MTSO. I am expecting my first child soon and really want to be home with him.  Does anyone have a friend or family member who has successfully implemented her own business (perhaps with a transcription background) and if so, ...

Any Ideas?
Dec 11, 2013

Tried testing for Accentus, but my foot pedal would not play the voice file.  It did absolutely nada.  I could not go backward or fast forward.  I was able to hear the test voice file just fine, so I went ahead and hit the tab to take the test.  I transcribed 4 words, went to back up, and I couldn't.  Any suggestions as to why my stinking foot pedal would not work?  It works fine when I am transcribing for my present service.    ...

Ideas??
Apr 07, 2015

Hi Guys/Gals,   I am dictating a doctor who sounds like he has a mouthful of marbles.  Under Physical Exam he states, "Abdomen is soft, no _____megaly.  It is not organomegaly because I have transcribed this doctor many times and it sounds nothing like it.  Any ideas on what else it could be?  ...

Any Ideas Of Another Career In Which I Can...
Apr 15, 2010

put all of this wonderful medical terminology to good use?  Don't want to be a nurse.  I hate needles and blood.  I am a very empathetic and compassionate person.  I really don't want to deal with the public/customers. ...

Ideas On Chairs
Jul 18, 2013

Hello all,  I have been in the transcription business now for 8 years and I have yet to find a comfortable chair! Comfort is everything when you are trying to stay in one spot to get a decent line count and when your butt is numb or tailbone hurts it's hard to do that!  Could you please share what kind of chairs you all have?  I am determined to buy one this weekend even if it is outrageously expensive!    TIA  ...

Why All The Scams Lately? Any Ideas?
Feb 09, 2014

Its getting sickening. ...

Any Ideas For Wording?
Mar 11, 2015

I am rewriting my resume to get out of the MT field.  Was wondering if anyone had any words or phrases that might help describe strengths the average MT has that would transfer to the "real world" ?  Thanks so much. ...

Inscribe - Experience/knowledge Of Inscribe.us?
Feb 19, 2011

Anyone have any experience/knowledge of Inscribe.us?  I am about to get offered a job with them for either straight transcrition or VR editing?  Their line rate seems to be very good for both. ...

Does Not Sound Correct, Any Ideas?
Feb 04, 2010

This is typed exactly as said, but does not seem correct to me.   Examination of her tendo Achilles on the left does show some thickening in the primarily tendinous portion for about a 3 inch length.  She is mildly tender but it is markedly thickened.   tia. ...

Mentoring - Any Ideas Or Advice?
Mar 05, 2010

I am a recent grad and would like to start working part time however, I believe i need more experience in transcribing actual reports. I would like to have a "mentor" so that I can be more confident in my ability to transcribe and not be afraid to apply for a position as a medical transcriptionist. Can anyone give my any ideas or advice? ...

Footpedal Mystery, Ideas Anyone?
Dec 09, 2011

I need to work in bed for a few weeks due to a leg injury. Does anyone have any ideas so I can use my footpedal?  I have been trying to think of something to use besides pillows to hold it in place at the right angle but I'm not having much luck.  Figured one of my brilliant peers would have ideas!! ...

Deskjob Munchy Ideas
Jan 30, 2012

Hey fellow MTs, I don't know about any of you, but I constantly desire munchies or something of the like at my desk while I'm working.  As my waistline has been increasing steadily over the past few years, I was wondering if any of you have any healthy or even somewhat healthy munchy ideas.  So far I've gone from M&Ms and Hershey Kisses to peanuts and raisins, but...yeah...I wouldn't mind some other ideas.  Thanks all! ...

Ideas For New Comp Plan
Aug 15, 2012

Since it is obvious the new comp plan isn't done maybe we could give them help and point in the right direction.  I would love to hear what everyone thinks, good or bad.  Would you rather get paid hourly or by the line? How about a shift differential for the weekend? What about extra money per report for those accounts with multiple carbon copies and tedious demographic screens? Some companies consider FT and offer benefits at 32 hours, would that be something anyone would be ...

Need Good Ideas On Being Productive With
Sep 14, 2012

Will be many different clinics.  I am accustomed to acute care only but this account will be about 70 percent clinic and 30 percent acute care.  TIA ...

Anyone Have Any Other Work From Home Ideas?
Apr 04, 2013

So far, I'm still hanging in there with MT, wondering how long this will last, like many of us are. I'm prepared to get a job outside the home if need be and will be starting school soon, but am wondering if anyone might have the scoop on any other ideas to make a little money from home. ...

Scholarship Ideas Requested
May 14, 2013

Hi folks.  I'm an ex-MT of 32 years.  When I was 50 years old, I started college, got a degree in IT, and am now an IT Project Manager. I know the financial struggle my fellow MT's are going through, and I want to give something back to help others have the ability to feed their families once again and to stop losing their houses. I'm considering setting up a college scholarship fund.  It won't be overly large in the beginning, but it will be a start.  I ...