A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What I am enjoying about learning to code - PJM

Posted: Sep 24, 2011

Hello all,

I thought I would pop on here and let you know what I am enjoying about learning to code.  First off, I am a medical transcriptionist attemtping to transition into a new area.  I started taking the Andrews School program and am enjoying it.  It's difficult, but I am confident I am learning something.  I admit I do struggle with working as an MT because my mind wanders terribly, so badly I often have to go back and re-read the entire report to make certain I haven't omitted or added any words.  What I am finding in coding, is, my mind DOES NOT wander; it doesn't have time to if I am concentratnig and looking for a code and having to pay close attention to the code descriptions.  Also, I thought I knew a lot about anatomy and physiology with being an MT.  Well, I am finding I am learning a whole LOT more about procedures, diagnoses, and everything in between.  This is not a boring field and I think I will be very happy I chose this field once I am finished with school.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience in why I am enjoying the course.  :)  

I am so happy for you and your story is my story - Suzie

[ In Reply To ..]
Dear PJM:

I want to thank you for posting your post on this board. Your story is my story. I am planning to enroll and start The Andrew's School for coding this November. When I read your story I saw what I am going through and you give me hope. I am a medical transcriptionist for 10 years and I feel the same way with rereading my work. I hope I am not being too bold to ask for your e-mail since I am going to start The Andrew's School in November. My e-mail address is SueLasky51@AOL.com. Thanks for listening and keep in touch.

Suzanne

Thinking about it too - Sue

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been doing MT for 15+ years and am thinking about coding too. I looked at Andrews some. I went to MTEC and that was a wonderful school, but I don't know much about Andrews. ~ If I sign up for this, I'd love to keep in touch with you too.

Similar Messages:

MT's Enjoying Their Careers?
Oct 30, 2011

If you are a MT that actually enjoys your career choice please leave a post or send me an email. I would like to know how you make it work and stay happy with your career choice. All i see on this forum is people complaining about their career choice, low rates and no available work. So how do you handle this? How many jobs do you have, how do you schedule more than 1 job, materials & resources you use to assist you and any other info you can give me. Just like every other career there are ppl u ...

Is The Phrase "code Blue" Generally Capitalized As Code Blue Or Not?nm
Dec 17, 2010

nm ...

Code Blue Or Code Blue For Beg Of Sentence?
Dec 29, 2014

xx ...

Is VR Really Learning?
May 19, 2011

Seriously...  I cannot for the life of me figure out what the doc was saying at one point, but VR inserted that the patient had a "menstrual valley illness"...  Glad I never had that!    ...

VR Learning
Aug 05, 2011

In a training on EditScript today, we were told in editing a report to change the whole word that is wrong, not just change on letter, for example, if it puts sever and the word is supposed to be severe, to change the whole word, not just add the e.  The trainer said that the system learns better that way.  So my question is, and I would have asked her if I had thought of it at the time, does VR learn when we use word expansions.  Is it learning from the keystrokes we use or from ...

Learning To
May 12, 2012

Please read my message on main board about learning to tweet.  I think we could make a difference with social media. ...

What Is This Code?
Nov 24, 2010

Does anyone know what this code is?  It keeps popping up on my blank document prior to CTRL-S to bring in a standard.   <non-s> and another one with the letters "red-s".   I can't type it in here, because when I do, it leaves a blank instead of those letters in brackets "red-s" Thanks! ...

Now There's A Whole New Pay Code
Mar 14, 2013

we now have the option of "Excused Absence - No Work".  ...

To Code Or Not
Mar 15, 2014

The truth is that transcription has changed and it will never go back to the good old days.  Mmodal sees this too.  They are shifting as is the norm these days.  Nothing is static.  They are transitioning and they are inviting you to go with them.  I am glad to see a training program for coders.  There are not enough coders out here.  Please be prepared to work your butt off.  Take it, work it, and learn it.  Coding is a unique, important, challenging ...

Learning A New Field
Mar 03, 2010

What would be the best way to get into another field? I have been doing neurology now for about 6 years and I am very interested in getting into something else, and really this is the only field I know because I havent had practice with anything else.  Im just getting kind of bored with the neurology lingo.  If I were to apply for a job that is hiring in a different field, would they consider me a "newby"? Has anyone ever been hired for a field they have no ex ...

I Hate Learning This Way
Apr 01, 2010

I wish somebody would figure out a way to train new hires other than setting them down with only a few hours training and letting them type their entire shift without a word from anyone, only to have QA come in the next morning and correct all the reports. I hate learning this way, I do something wrong, spell something about the facility wrong, all night long only to learn the next day that it is wrong. It is such a waste of my and my QAs time to do it this way, it sucks. And heaven forbid you h ...

Learning Coding
Jan 30, 2012

Is there any coder out there who has 'self-taught' themselves and successfully passed the CCS and working?  I'm an MT whose so ready to change to coding, but keep putting it off schooling due to being financially strapped (as MT'ing just barely pays the simple bills.....nothing more).  I also think being an MT will put me at an advantage in learning coding than someone 'off the street'/no knowledge of any facet of the medical field.  Any thoughts? ...

Learning E/m Coding And....(sm)
Jun 17, 2012

I have been trying to find a downloadable/printable version of the "E and M documentatinoadn coding worksheet in aqua and gray."  Hoping someone can help me! ...

I'm Excited About Learning Something New
Sep 11, 2012

I'm getting everything together to start on a new path. I've been impressed with so many of you who have taken on a new career even though you, like me, are well out of your 30s and 40s. I am inspired by people I've met on here who are changing their lives. I've seen you say that it scares you, but you're doing it anyway. I really have to respect that. Congratulations to all of us! ...

Learning New Specialty
Nov 14, 2012

Hey I am possibly going to interview with a Cancer Institute and I have no experience in this area. I am a 7 year medical transcriptionist and had a 7 year job in a small pediatric clinic for 4 doctors. What should I do to prepare if I work here and what things should I study and bring with me to work if I get the job? ...

Learning To Dictate The RIGHT WAY?
Jun 04, 2013

I am an experienced nurse practitioner with seven years of experience. Now that I am working in an acute care environment, I am required to dictact all of my consultations. I have a template from which I am dictating. But from the results of my transcriptions, I could use some help from medical transcriptionists on how to dictate the RIGHT WAY. Of course, I was never taught how to dictate. I was taught how to use the telephone to dictate, but I was never taught the right way to dictate clearly ...

Learning Curve>>
Aug 07, 2013

??How long do you give yourself when you start a new company to be up to snuff!  I don't know if it's because I'm a senior MT (not unlike a senior dog you try to train) and I just am having a real hard time with the making any money.  I hate demographics that waste my time and there are a lot of them.  Also a lot of new types of work I haven't done in years. Need advice because I'm not even making minimum wage.  It's just been a month - but I fee ...

Learning Curve
Oct 06, 2013

How long would you give yourself to be "trained" on an account. The company I work for has us switching all over the place and I cannot get proficient on one work type. Been there three months and barely averaging $8.00 an hour when I'm stuck on that work type. Any advice. I am thinking of jumping ship....... ...

It Doesn't Seem Like Anyone Is Learning
Mar 25, 2014

This is a two-sided message. It is painfully obvious that no one is learning anything from having failed audits. This being said, I think there are a few sides to this. First, the error weights are harsh for a lot of small errors. Second, the error weighs are not harsh enough for other errors. Third, and most importantly, no one seems to be taking the time to learn anything from the audits/feedback in order to improve themselves and their work, which leads me to what I would do if ...

Code Blue
Oct 15, 2009

It is transcribed Code Blue or code blue?  Thanks in advance for your help! ...

Code Blue, CODE BLUE, Or Code Blue?
Mar 16, 2010

Thanks for help.  Brain doesn't seem to be working this morning ...

3-2-1 Code It ! 2nd Edition
Jan 07, 2011

Has anyone ever used this textbook and accompanying workbook? I was wondering if the answers were provided for the workbook before ordering it. Thanks ...

My Road To Code...
Feb 25, 2011

Hi coders,  I'm an MT with many years of experience and am trying to break into coding and billing.  I am starting with an on line course to get the basics and overview of the process. When I am done with that I will take a class at my community college to refresh and hopefully network.  Does this sound like a good plan to anyone?  Anything to recommend to be supplementing so I will do well on whatever certification tests are necessary when the time comes?  Thanks! ...

WRKA Code/help
Dec 28, 2011

Can anyone tell me when we receive NJA do we sign out immediately and then sign back in with the WRKA procedure highlighted in teamwork and without closing out docqscribe and waiting for the 15 minutes and say we do get work within 15 minute period do we just continue to be signed in until we are ready to sign off? I'm confused with this.  I know they want us to do the coding now in the teamwork for this 15 minute pay. TIA ...

Anyone Else Code In Their Sleep?
Jan 20, 2012

I know I'm finally learning something when I start doing it in my sleep. ...

A Code GI Bleeding?
Jan 30, 2012

Am I hearing this right? History of iron-deficiency anemia due to a (s/l code) GI bleeding. ...

BRCA Code
Apr 13, 2012

Doc dictates "BRCA thirty-two ninety-seven deletion six"   what is the proper way to type that value.  I've tried googling it and can't come up w/ anything I'm comfortable with. ...

Does Anyone Code For MModal?
Oct 17, 2012

thanks in advance ...

Need Help With A Code For Rehab
Oct 19, 2012

What is the code number for this statement: "Ultrasound with dexamethasone to Achilles tendon" Is it the iontophoresis code of 97033? Thanks for any help! ...

How Do You Code Your Timecard When You Are OOW?
Sep 14, 2014

I am asking because I've heard conflicting info.  I do, though, read the Employee Manual, but it appears as with everything Nuance, the Employee Manual can just be disregarded at will if it suits an agenda.  ...