A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I downloaded the Labor Standards Complaint form - wheres_my_job

Posted: Apr 05, 2012

For the great State of Wisconsin (as they say).

All that free data entry we do, headers and so on - yeah, I'm gonna put a price on all that.  Go ahead and tell me, State of Wisconsin, that in the great United States of America, workers can be expected to DONATE their time and effort to a company, and it's A-OK.  Go ahead, tell me that - so I can add it into my video.

can you elaborate? Since I am from this great state. Thanks. - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Go to Labor Standards Bureau website... - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
...for Wisconsin - you can find the form there, and download it, or fill it out on your computer. Remember, you need to do some number crunching, for how much YOU think they ought to retroactively pay you, for shortchanging you (i.e., not paying you) for work you perform(ed) for them. Reason it out - believe me, when these companies engage in minimizing compensation, through legal and illegal means (you gotta pay for work performed!), they are reasoning it out themselves, with the aid of lawyer(s) probably.

I think the timing is wonderful, what with anti-union SCOTTY WALKER UP FOR RECALL!!!!!! Go Badgers!!! If anyone wants to know what it's like working for an anti-union, anti-worker company, I think my situation is a pretty good example.

appreciate the info; thanks - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Wheres-My-Job. Did you not say you were out of this business? - Or just out of a job at the moment? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

You can be a former employee and file a complaint - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
If we look at the Lily Ledbetter Act, we have 180 days from the time of the LAST paycheck to file a complaint. Even if this is not a case of sex discrimination, we have a legal precedent as far as WHEN an employee can file a complaint - baby, it's 180 days from the time of the LAST paycheck. And who knows, maybe my situation does fall under the provisions of the Lily Ledbetter Act. And if it doesn't, maybe they'll end up naming an act after me - wouldn't that be great?

Also, you can file Labor Standards Complaint... - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
...and be a former employer. So either way, I'm about to kick this nightmare up a notch, as Emeril Legasse might say.
The service I work for stopped paying headers - and footers too (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
How do we get them to stop screwing us???
How to get them to stop screwing us? We have - to find a way to screw them right back. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe somebody can call Tom Brokaw - media
[ In Reply To ..]
or Diane Sawyer or that John Stossel guy. Poor Andy Rooney - he's dead. RIP. It would be nice if this could go national. Headline: Wake up America! Your medical records are being shipped to foreign countries because your hospital is too cheap to pay the transcription bill!
expose them and they'd be screwing themselves. You stay - the good guy. If the truth hurts, so be it.
[ In Reply To ..]
You have to file a complaint with Labor Standards... - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
You MUST keep track of the number of headers you do (each report has a header, so how many reports do you do each day?) You must keep track of the data entry you do (if you have to add an address, look up a patient, etc) AND what kind of documentation they require of such (those are keystrokes, which add up to lines, which is how we are paid).

Just get a notebook (paper), put the date at the top of each page, and keep track for each day. I'd add up maybe a month or two of this. Then file a complaint with the State Labor Board, whatever state the company is located in.

Then calculate how much you should get paid per header, etc - as well, I would add in a "productivity differential," because each time you switch from transcribing/editing to DATA ENTRY, your productivity is being affected - which is how you get paid. So we need to be compensated for THAT.

We all need to do this consistently, or at least a few of us, or at least somebody who knows how to get some media attention!

Anyway, that's my perspective. Hello, MTSOs reading this, have fun calling your lawyers for advice.
Well I'm following....&...filing....suit... - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
someone's got to be the squeaky...
Good for you - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm actually working on it, this evening - the hardest part was just filling in my name and address, seriously!!!!! It's so hard - why can't I just accept things "gracefully." This is really stupid and possibly overdramatic, and maybe even offensive - but I'm reading about the Pope during the 1920s-1930s - all his deal making with Hitler, and dissolution of the Catholic/trade unionist political party, and silencing of Catholic dissent in 1920s-1930s Germany - there was one Catholic priest who didn't cooperate with the Pope's plans, and he just kept spreading the word about how bad the Nazis were...well, of course, you know where they sent him...

I think of him...I'm not doing anything risky or life-threatening like this Catholic priest - I'm just filling out a stupid form and faxing it in (well, maybe a couple other things)...I mean seriously, what is the worst that can happen? The status quo is maintained. I may think the status quo is "excruciating," but is it really, comparatively speaking? No.

I'm not Catholic, far from it, but still, I can't help thinking of him. Really, all I want to do is wear a straw hat and putter around the garden, and write poetry and read. And here I am embroiled in this frickin stomach-churning corporate malfeasance. Having to look up laws and subsections of laws and interpretations thereof. Just not in the mood to "frame a legal argument," but on the other hand - hooray for Lilly Ledbetter!

At least there's a full moon tonight, something to look forward to.
don't forget no pay for cc either.... - mt2
[ In Reply To ..]
If not copy, we have to type out name, address if given and NOT paid for this. Can we file suit if we're still employed by them? Don't want to be fired but I am really sick of this crap.
You file a "complaint," not a suit - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
YES, FILE IF YOU ARE STILL EMPLOYED BY THEM!!!!!

The complaint is with the Labor Standards Bureau (or whatever they call it in your particular state. If you say what state your COMPANY is in, I will look it up for you and post it here).

The Labor Standards Bureau is there to ensure workers are paid and treated fairly. So, the answer to your question is YES.

A suit would be in a court of law - this is a complaint with the government agency that oversees labor-related issues. I think filing a complaint is a first step - after you've worked out what you think you should get compensated per cc: (a flat rate for ANY cc: you have to do? Or if you have to add an address to a database, that's extra? A "productivity differential," because as you switch between editing/transcribing and data entry, it reduces your productivity - studies HAVE shown this to be the case.)

Not just going ahead, but retroactively: Estimate how many cc's, etc, you've done for your company, uncompensated, and come up with a dollar amount. For ANY UNCOMPENSATED LABOR, not just cc's!!!

Note: It doesn't matter if it's $23.48 or $234.80 of uncompensated labor - it's YOUR MONEY the company is helping itself to. Multiply that by the number of employees that company has, and $23.48 can mushroom into $2,348 or $23,480 of OUR MONEY in THEIR POCKETS.

Let me know if you want me to find you forms online, for your particular company (the state they are in).

Best of luck to all of us!

Similar Messages:

How Do I Go About Filing A Labor Relations Complaint?
Aug 06, 2010

I am supposed to be an IC, and according to the IRS definition and 20-factor test, I am being treated as an employee with each day bringing new employee guidelines into play.  How do I file a complaint and be allowed compensation and benefits as an employee?  This company is just worming their way around paying benefits and downtime compensation to employees by stating they are ICs.     ...

Fair Standards Labor Act
Oct 28, 2012

The U.S. Dept. of Labor requires time and a half pay for all hours over 40 worked in a work week.  (I think only if employee status.)  We are considered piecemeal workers and indeed are eligible for OT pay.  "All time spent by an employee performing activities which are job-related is potentially "work time." This includes the employee's regular "on the clock" work time, plus "off the clock" time spent performing job-related activities (which benefit the employer). Potential ...

Fair Labor Standards Act Info
Dec 01, 2014

How may of us are sitting around waiting for work to come in?  We are tied to our computers hoping for something but we get no pay for that time until maybe a report shows up.  Then we sit and wait...and wait...and wait. Should we dare to walk away and something comes in, we get a smackdown if we miss the new and ridiculous 4-hour TAT.  Well, this is what I found researching the U.S. Dept of Labor.   Waiting Time: Whether waiting time is hours worked under the Act depe ...

Recordkeeping Requirements Under The Fair Labor Standards Acts (FLSA)
Jun 28, 2012

http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/minwage.htm Start keeping strict records now, based upon the guidelines at this web site. Note in the article the use of the word "piecemeal," which is what the per line rate is. ...

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

Downloaded The Fix For DQS And
Oct 12, 2010

one job at a time.  There is never a second job waiting behind it. When I finish the job I have and upload it, I get NJA for a few seconds and then it downloads a job.  I don't ever have 2 jobs at a time in my queue anymore. Anyone else having this happen?  This has only been happening to me since I downloaded the "fix" for 6.1. ...

Has Anyone Downloaded DQS To Their Own Equipment Lately?
Oct 24, 2012

I'm going to be out of town a lot in the near future and I'd like work to be portable.  I found a little bit of info in the archives, but I'd appreciate any help you can give, even if it's just a link to a helpful post.Thanks  :) ...

I Just Downloaded DS To A New Windows 7 32-bit Computer
Apr 18, 2011

and I'm having all sorts of trouble.  Anyone else using Win 7 that can advise me?  I have to go in with every dictation and reset the pedal settings so that the pedal will work and the feature to enlarge the text won't work.  Sure could use some advise here. ...

I Need Help Asap. I Just Downloaded Coffeecup
Aug 26, 2012

free FTP for my new job and I cannot figure how to make a new connection.  It says something about control S but all it said when I did that was I do not have authorization to view that page.  Not sure where to put all the info my new job sent (like where it says port 21).  Thanks for any help!! ...

Are We Allowed To Use Downloaded Version
Oct 30, 2014

I guess you can no longer buy full licensed copies of MS Word on a disk ???  I see you can get MS Word 2013 in downloadable form, starting with a "trial" and then I guess you end up paying per year or month?  So, is this acceptable or do we HAVE to have it on disk? ...

Anyone Heard Of Or Ever Downloaded And Used Express Scribe?
Jan 24, 2013

Hey, has anyone heard of or ever downloaded and used Express Scribe?  It's a free download.  I'm interested to hear any feedback about this program.  Is it trustworthy?  It makes me a little suspicious because it's free.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :) ...

I Just Downloaded Instant Text - Seems Extremely Complicated -
Aug 24, 2010

I have been a transcriptionist for 15 years, all of which has been on Dictaphone EXText and now EXEditor.  Why does my ESP in Dictaphone keep interfering? If I use an expansion and hit spacebar the ESP windows comes up, which makes no sense because ESP uses ctrl-ctrl to open?  And how on earth do you learn it all?  How will it benefit me after using thousands of ESPs daily.    Help!   ...

Downloaded Instant Text Today. How Will I Ever Learn It All?
Aug 24, 2010

You all really love it? ...

My #1 Complaint
Jan 05, 2012

Why oh why do so many companies use those lame boxes for you to copy and paste your resume into? My perfectly formatted, beautiful document gets all messed up when pasted into their boxes!!  And fixing the new tabbing, etc. "errors" takes forever!!!! Rant over. ...

Complaint Board
Jul 02, 2010

Just a suggestion but if there are so many people with complaints about companies or their MT careers, etc., instead of getting "bashed," deleted, or otherwise, why not make a forum just for complaints and opinions and leave the other boards to more respectful and intelligent conversations.  Let's see if what I just posted doesn't prove my point. ...

Has Anyone Had To Make A Complaint To The
Oct 05, 2010

before? I have a major issue with my pay and have gone around and around with my company (LARGE MTSO) for a week now and keep getting excuse after excuse.  If the problem is not rectified by 5:00 p.m. tomorrow, I plan to file a complaint with the Dept. of Labor. I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever done this and what the process is like?  I'm wondering if I do this, if I should expect to "suddenly" lose my job afterwards? I'm just sick and tired of having incorr ...

General Complaint
Mar 30, 2011

Hi everyone:)  This is not a good night for me; I have been getting very bad dictators lately, my reports are so short, less than 2 minutes apiece, and I haven't gotten anything decent to speak of, and I am about to throw in the towel with this company.  It seems that since I have gone part time this has been happening a lot.  I am pushing just to get my required line count in, and with jobs like this it is hard to do.  My pay is going down, down, down, and I feel r ...

Okay, I Have An OTI Complaint, And I Do Think It's Legit!
Jun 10, 2013

I think the email we got from L. yesterday (on a Sunday!) was really overboard.  She said the were " tired " of work being out of TAT on the weekends.  Weill, I'm tired of there not being any work on the weekdays.  I happen to use Sunday as my day of rest and time with my family, and I truly resent being bawled out for not working on Sunday.  I work the other six days and have a life on Sundays outside of OTI.  I am so sick of being treated like a second ...

Another FIESA Complaint
Dec 19, 2013

Has anyone ever asked to not have their work reviewed by a certain reviewer? I keep getting work back from this one particular person where they remove what I transcribed and put a blank in its place. I made the effort to send in a report with no blanks and they take out what I transcribed??!! I am having a real problem with this person doing QA on my work. Is there anything that can be done about this? ...

AGE DISCRIMINATION Complaint
Feb 22, 2015

Has anyone reading this ever filed an age discrimination complaint? I have never felt my age was an issue before this current situation, but now have the feeling that it is, at least for possible employers. Recently, I was offered an IC position. I completed the required IC paperwork and submitted it. After that I never heard another word from the intake person or the two people I was supposed to be working with to get set up to be an IC for this company. I emailed the intake person and one ...

Period After Chief Complaint
Oct 27, 2010

Are the current guidelines to put a period (.) after incomplete sentences, such as in Chief Complaint of Assessment/Plan in an H&P, Op Report, etc?   Thanks - Gail ...

Chief Complaint Dystonia S/l Low-ens
Mar 29, 2011

This is in the chief complaint. When doc mentions later, she just says dystonia in bilateral lower extremities. ...

My Biggest Complaint Is That Every Time I Get
May 16, 2014

a long report (which happens too often), my screen freezes.  ...

Complaint About Doctors And Accuracy
Jan 19, 2015

One of the biggest complaints I have is when the doctor doesn't spell the patient's name. I mean I cannot know how to spell all foreign names nor can I tell if it is a male or female. Another one is when doctors do not spell carbon copy doctors' names nor sometimes even say where they are from. If they want those things to be accurate, then dictate it that way PLEASE. ...

H&P With Chief Complaint Of Respiratory Distress
Jan 17, 2010

Plan: Admit to medical center for stabilization and evaluation.  Oxygen 2L per nasal cannula.  Theo-Dur 200 mg p.o. q. 12h to begin with.  Lasix 40 mg IV now and 40 mg p.o. b.i.d.  This is where I need help........... Digitalize, replace potassium.  Should there be a comma after Digitalize or a colon?  Thanks in advance ...

Complaint - Companies With Online Applications.
Dec 17, 2010

I just cannot bring myself to spend hours filling out an online application when they already have my resume which has ALL of that pertinent information on it! I also cannot see spending considerable time filling out an online application, then waiting to see IF they respond to me, then IF they do respond with an offer to test, going through the testing to get an offer I can't accept. The online apps, though, are the #1 issue for me.  It is insane.  Through complaining.  T ...

Filed A Remedy Complaint About The New Spellcheck
Dec 22, 2014

First tech wanted to go over with me how to actually do it. I told Sanjeep no thanks I already took the tutorial, I know how to do it, I was just filing a complaint that the new spellcheck is time consuming and redundant and costing me money. Why must I hit spell check minimum of 2 times for each report and why must it stop on every mandatory heading with no way to bypass them? Why does it spellcheck the entire report twice when you try to split a job? Why did they decide to use Shift-Alt fo ...

ASR And Standards
Dec 08, 2009

I know the rule has always been if the report type has a standard with more than 6 headings that we can hit F11 and type the job.  Now I sorta remember reading that was changing.  Does anyone know if it has and what the new rule is? ...

VR Standards
Dec 23, 2009

This is just my observation.  I am presently working on VR and have been for about 1-1/2 months.  On my straight typing accounts, we followed the Book of Style and typed verbatim.  VR is a whole different world.  Where as we had to spell out abbreviations in the impression, plan, preoperative diagnoses, etc., with straight typing, on VR we are told to not expand abbreviations.  We are also told that unless the statement makes no sense whatsoever to send it to QA, b ...

FYI - Standards
Jan 08, 2010

Just to let you all know, after talking with my CCM, what happened to me was an error and has been fixed.  We *do* get paid for standards. Sorry if I freaked anyone, besides myself, out with my post. ;o) ...