A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

AGE DISCRIMINATION complaint - KAH

Posted: Feb 22, 2015

Has anyone reading this ever filed an age discrimination complaint? I have never felt my age was an issue before this current situation, but now have the feeling that it is, at least for possible employers. Recently, I was offered an IC position. I completed the required IC paperwork and submitted it. After that I never heard another word from the intake person or the two people I was supposed to be working with to get set up to be an IC for this company. I emailed the intake person and one of the other people and did not receive a reply from either. Now, I am getting the feeling that once they knew my age that they decided not to invest in signing up an IC of my age. The intake person was very open about what it cost the company to sign up a new IC. If anyone has any insight, experience with, or thoughs about this situation I would be interested in knowing that. Thanking you in advance.

I am curious, what is the big cost to sign up a new IC? - What is such a big deal about it? SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I am seriously interested in knowing. The more we all know about how MTSOs operate, whether under the table methods or above and honest, benefits us all.

AGE DISCRIMINATION - KAH

[ In Reply To ..]
I was told it cost the company $500 to set up a new IC. This company did have assistance in getting your computer set up. The company that wants you to buy their $50 program...

I don't think it happens much in MT...sm - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
This company may just be very disorganized and lost track of you (not a good sign). Was there anything else in your new IC paperwork that might have put them off that you can think of besides your age. Can you find a phone number for this MTSO and contact them that way to see what is up? Unfortunately, age discrimination is hard to prove because they can say it was any number of other things, but it certainly is rude not to get back to you.

AGE DISCRIMINATION - KAH

[ In Reply To ..]
They can say it was anything, but according to what I found on the Inet I don't have to prove it - this was a job I was qualified for, I was offered the position, then suddenly the offer was not followed up on. I don't know of anything else in the paperwork that would have put them off. This is way I am asking for other's thoughts on this subject. Is this something I want to pursue, something I want out there for all to see? I will email the intake person one more time, just to see what happens. Actually, I did blame it on the bad weather at first. Maybe it is my paranoia running rampant - I really don't know. This just began to occur to me within the last few days and the thought actually made the hair stand up on the back of my neck!

They hired you - Jumping to conclusions

[ In Reply To ..]
If they hired you, I doubt they would discriminate after the fact. Before you assume it was due to your age, you probably should contact them and try and find out what happened. I have never heard of someone being hired and then not when the employer learned their age. If that is the reason, then it's discrimination.

KAH - Nobody

[ In Reply To ..]
KAH - I am 66; I got hired as an IC and I really don't care for it, although the work is really easy for someone with over 25 years experience. However, in looking "outside" in the actual world, I find in looking for PT work, I do believe age discrimination is a factor, even though they say it isn't. What they do now is ask when you graduated high school so they can add 2 and 2 together I think and come up with "over 65."

Is that legal? - anonie

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't think they were allowed to ask you anything that would give an age or enable them to figure your age out.

Honestly, I'd check into that and if that ever happens again, I'd remind them of that.

Over 63 when hired at my present job - been there over 5 years now

[ In Reply To ..]
Think other matter than age in this situation.
KAH...Sm - Old Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Why can't you call these people on the phone? It's easy to ignore an email but harder to ignore a phone call. Just be polite and ask why they haven't gotten back to you after they made you an offer. I am not trying to sound harsh, but I do think you might be tiny bit paranoid maybe caused by the stress of finding a new job, but DO call them. As long as you can do the work, most MTSOs don't care how old you are. I was almost 64 when I got my present job.
AGE - KAH
[ In Reply To ..]
I got a job at 63, 10 years ago, which I had until last August. I am now 74 - quite a bit of difference. Since this guy (the owner) was so concerned about the $500 start up cost to his company to set up a new IC hire, it just made me suspicious of the age thing. I will contact him to see if there is anything he would like to discuss with me and see if we can come to a better conclusion. I would like to have the position, but this guy sounded like he was more concerned about whether I would ever make the $500 back for his company. He is one of the owners. Like I said, just made me suspicious.
Maybe you could simply look elsewhere for - another part-time job.
[ In Reply To ..]
And great going to be still working at 73. I'm currently 63 and I worry every day about losing my faculties. I think working helps maintain them longer.
Look elsewhere for a job. Easy enough, they are so - plentiful. NOT. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Lately I've been noticing this - DZ

[ In Reply To ..]
At least one company has been leaving age OUT of their disclaimer. This is from an ad:

"All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex and/or national origin."

I wondered if it's okay legally now to discriminate against age.

TTS hired me as a PT IC after being retired 2 years. No prob. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

TTS hired me as a PT IC after being retired 2 years.No prob. - nm - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
Just my opinion and certainly not intended to "bust your bubble," but TTS is a horrible example. They hire ALL the time (just watch the job boards) and probably just about anyone as long as you can deal with their HORRID ESLs and equally horrid management. Hope it goes well for you . . . very glad to say my relationship with them was VERY short, and now I'm a happy IC for a great company.

Me too, I like TTS. ESLs suck but they're part of life. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't have any problems with management or QA. I get left alone to do my work, very few emails, and the week seems to fly by. Sorry your experience was so bad and glad you're happy where you are. Different strokes for different folks.

Similar Messages:

Age Discrimination
Oct 02, 2013

I had an offer, everything looked great, but the minute they received my paperwork with my DOB on it, not another word from them, despite my emails.  Has anyone ever changed their DOB on an application to avoid this? TIA. ...

S/l His Deboyant Discrimination
Aug 29, 2011

His (deboyant) discrimination is 6 mm posteriorly and in all 5 digits. His capillary refill is brisk in all 5 hands. He has 5/5 FDP and FDS in digits 3-4. He has 5/5 extension of the MCP, PIP, and DIP joints, digits 2-5. ...

Discrimination Against California?
Feb 06, 2014

I've seen where some companies are not interested in hiring MLSs from California (presumably because of labor laws). I'm wondering if any Nuance MLSs from California have felt some bad vibes lately? I'm wondering if they want to get rid of us. ...

Discrimination Concern
Nov 03, 2014

Just a thought, has anybody noticed that all TLs and TSMs are CMTs.  I believe they discriminate against those of us who do not have our RMT or CMT for any positions of authority.  I have applied for many TL and TSM positions and have never heard a word.  They CYA by putting that preferred line in, but what they mean is don't bother.  I believe this is discrimination.  What do you all think??   ...

Disability Discrimination By Supervisor
Jan 17, 2011

Basically, story goes like this.  Have been a transcriptionist many years.  Thought I was moving up to a better line count with another company (having trouble making ends meet).  Found this great pay rate with a national MTSO and signed on.  Couldn't work full schedule since the beginning due to medical problems but did work consistently part time with excellent accuracy and no job-related complaints, nothing but praise for working a very difficult account.  About ...

His Two-point Discrimination Is 6 Mm Both ??? And Aurally?
Apr 06, 2011

Sounds like periolly?? ...

Discrimination 6 Mm Both Feriorly And Honorly
Jul 18, 2011

discrimination 6 mm both feriorly and honorly.   Any thoughts????  ...

My #1 Complaint
Jan 05, 2012

Why oh why do so many companies use those lame boxes for you to copy and paste your resume into? My perfectly formatted, beautiful document gets all messed up when pasted into their boxes!!  And fixing the new tabbing, etc. "errors" takes forever!!!! Rant over. ...

Complaint Board
Jul 02, 2010

Just a suggestion but if there are so many people with complaints about companies or their MT careers, etc., instead of getting "bashed," deleted, or otherwise, why not make a forum just for complaints and opinions and leave the other boards to more respectful and intelligent conversations.  Let's see if what I just posted doesn't prove my point. ...

Has Anyone Had To Make A Complaint To The
Oct 05, 2010

before? I have a major issue with my pay and have gone around and around with my company (LARGE MTSO) for a week now and keep getting excuse after excuse.  If the problem is not rectified by 5:00 p.m. tomorrow, I plan to file a complaint with the Dept. of Labor. I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever done this and what the process is like?  I'm wondering if I do this, if I should expect to "suddenly" lose my job afterwards? I'm just sick and tired of having incorr ...

General Complaint
Mar 30, 2011

Hi everyone:)  This is not a good night for me; I have been getting very bad dictators lately, my reports are so short, less than 2 minutes apiece, and I haven't gotten anything decent to speak of, and I am about to throw in the towel with this company.  It seems that since I have gone part time this has been happening a lot.  I am pushing just to get my required line count in, and with jobs like this it is hard to do.  My pay is going down, down, down, and I feel r ...

Okay, I Have An OTI Complaint, And I Do Think It's Legit!
Jun 10, 2013

I think the email we got from L. yesterday (on a Sunday!) was really overboard.  She said the were " tired " of work being out of TAT on the weekends.  Weill, I'm tired of there not being any work on the weekdays.  I happen to use Sunday as my day of rest and time with my family, and I truly resent being bawled out for not working on Sunday.  I work the other six days and have a life on Sundays outside of OTI.  I am so sick of being treated like a second ...

Another FIESA Complaint
Dec 19, 2013

Has anyone ever asked to not have their work reviewed by a certain reviewer? I keep getting work back from this one particular person where they remove what I transcribed and put a blank in its place. I made the effort to send in a report with no blanks and they take out what I transcribed??!! I am having a real problem with this person doing QA on my work. Is there anything that can be done about this? ...

Period After Chief Complaint
Oct 27, 2010

Are the current guidelines to put a period (.) after incomplete sentences, such as in Chief Complaint of Assessment/Plan in an H&P, Op Report, etc?   Thanks - Gail ...

Chief Complaint Dystonia S/l Low-ens
Mar 29, 2011

This is in the chief complaint. When doc mentions later, she just says dystonia in bilateral lower extremities. ...

My Biggest Complaint Is That Every Time I Get
May 16, 2014

a long report (which happens too often), my screen freezes.  ...

Complaint About Doctors And Accuracy
Jan 19, 2015

One of the biggest complaints I have is when the doctor doesn't spell the patient's name. I mean I cannot know how to spell all foreign names nor can I tell if it is a male or female. Another one is when doctors do not spell carbon copy doctors' names nor sometimes even say where they are from. If they want those things to be accurate, then dictate it that way PLEASE. ...

H&P With Chief Complaint Of Respiratory Distress
Jan 17, 2010

Plan: Admit to medical center for stabilization and evaluation.  Oxygen 2L per nasal cannula.  Theo-Dur 200 mg p.o. q. 12h to begin with.  Lasix 40 mg IV now and 40 mg p.o. b.i.d.  This is where I need help........... Digitalize, replace potassium.  Should there be a comma after Digitalize or a colon?  Thanks in advance ...

How Do I Go About Filing A Labor Relations Complaint?
Aug 06, 2010

I am supposed to be an IC, and according to the IRS definition and 20-factor test, I am being treated as an employee with each day bringing new employee guidelines into play.  How do I file a complaint and be allowed compensation and benefits as an employee?  This company is just worming their way around paying benefits and downtime compensation to employees by stating they are ICs.     ...

Complaint - Companies With Online Applications.
Dec 17, 2010

I just cannot bring myself to spend hours filling out an online application when they already have my resume which has ALL of that pertinent information on it! I also cannot see spending considerable time filling out an online application, then waiting to see IF they respond to me, then IF they do respond with an offer to test, going through the testing to get an offer I can't accept. The online apps, though, are the #1 issue for me.  It is insane.  Through complaining.  T ...

Filed A Remedy Complaint About The New Spellcheck
Dec 22, 2014

First tech wanted to go over with me how to actually do it. I told Sanjeep no thanks I already took the tutorial, I know how to do it, I was just filing a complaint that the new spellcheck is time consuming and redundant and costing me money. Why must I hit spell check minimum of 2 times for each report and why must it stop on every mandatory heading with no way to bypass them? Why does it spellcheck the entire report twice when you try to split a job? Why did they decide to use Shift-Alt fo ...

I Downloaded The Labor Standards Complaint Form
Apr 05, 2012

For the great State of Wisconsin (as they say). All that free data entry we do, headers and so on - yeah, I'm gonna put a price on all that.  Go ahead and tell me, State of Wisconsin, that in the great United States of America, workers can be expected to DONATE their time and effort to a company, and it's A-OK.  Go ahead, tell me that - so I can add it into my video. ...

I Don't Know Who Keeps Starting These Oracle "complaint Threads" (see Message)
Mar 09, 2011

but I have been with OTI for MANY years and I have VERY SELDOM run out of work. If I got low on work, I'd ask for a backup account and usually got one. They don't bother me while I'm working unless they call to ask me to do a stat. Perhaps they have "favorites," but I'm not one of them, I can assure you. I don't understand, if you are so unhappy with Oracle, why you don't just LEAVE? I'll probably get a bunch of flack from this post, but I'm sick an ...

Age "Discrimination"
Nov 18, 2014

It's interesting that different doctors or speakers have different takes on ages. There's one doctor who seems to think just about everyone is "elderly", even a patient in her late 50s. Then there are doctors who refer to patients in their 60s as being "middle-aged." Regarding the doctor who refers to just about everyone as being "elderly", I thought maybe he's a young doc. So I Googled him to see if I can view him whether he looks young, but he looked like he was in his 50s hi ...