A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Has anyone had to make a complaint to the - Department of Labor

Posted: Oct 05, 2010

before?

I have a major issue with my pay and have gone around and around with my company (LARGE MTSO) for a week now and keep getting excuse after excuse.  If the problem is not rectified by 5:00 p.m. tomorrow, I plan to file a complaint with the Dept. of Labor.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever done this and what the process is like?  I'm wondering if I do this, if I should expect to "suddenly" lose my job afterwards?

I'm just sick and tired of having incorrect pay.  You would think that one of the top MTSOs out there would be able to get it right, but no!  I just wonder if I'm the only one they are screwing over.

TIA for any insight.

Department of Labor - sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure if this is pertinent for your state - check with them. The instance that I can discuss concerns not getting paid AT ALL...nada for over 6 months. I had to prove to the Dept. of Labor that I was first, employee, second, had copy/documentation of bounced checks, and attempts to recoup money. I was told the process would take 4-6 weeks. I was to have NO contact with employer after claim was filed. The DOL would handle all communications between me and employer. I don't know how this helps with your situation. I suggest that you contact your state DOL and ask them IF you have a case, and IF they will take the claim. Hope this helps and good luck.

I used them back in the 70s when an employer's - checks kept bouncing and she also -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
owed me some back pay. They got me my money, tore apart her office, and I had the additional enjoyment of hearing they shut her down entirely.

Good times.

Check the DOL in the state of your employer...sm - SassyPants

[ In Reply To ..]
I live in WI but the 1st MTSO I worked for is located in FL. I had to file the claim with the FL one.

My claim was basically for not making minimum wage being IC status. I had to keep on the DOL about the status of my claim. My MTSO never questioned me on it, but they are very good at covering their own behinds, so document every email, phone call, letter, etc.

It should not cost you anything to go ahead and file with the DOL, but don't expect a big payout. I'm still owed $700+ by my old MTSO for lack of proper payment, but the only way I would get it now is to hire an attorney and with what MTs make, that ain't gonna happen!

They dropped my case too. I do wish you the best of luck though, but even using the DOL to fight an MTSO is just another headache in my book. They are screwing us all over (but "legally").

What a shame!

I would give it more time if you want to keep your job. - Been there, done that.

[ In Reply To ..]
I also reported a company to the DOL but it was not for money owed. They never really had a chance to act on my behalf, but I was laid off in short order. Funny, I was the only person in that company let go who got severance pay, vacation pay, and "no notice" pay.

If you do not care about keeping this job, go for it. This should be done more often.
I feel it would be a might suspicious if they - let me go immediately
[ In Reply To ..]
after I filed a complaint...especially when I have never even received a verbal or written warning for anything.

I wish I could wait, but they are messing with my money.

This is a HUGE corporation. I'm sick of the games. And to be honest, no, I don't care if they let me go, I will be the first in line to file for UE and with all the evidence I have, I am certain I will get it.

I am tired of getting excuses and the run around. They aren't following their own policies. When I point this out, they hide....all the while holding money that belongs to me.

I'm done being scared of them.
They can let you go any time. If that doesn't matter - Go for it
[ In Reply To ..]
I was let go shortly afterwards. They said they would not fight the UE, and I did qualify. Payments started immediately.

It really does not matter what you are fighting with them, they can let you go at any time, for any reason, and with no notice. Again, that does qualify you for UE, but that is only about 50% of your income in my state.

I kinda hope you do carry through this with even if you are let go, if you are in the position to be able to do this. I wish these complaints were filed more often.
Oh trust me, I know they can; however, - with everything I have
[ In Reply To ..]
stacking up against them, I don't think it would look very good for them if they did.

I just found out today that they were supposed to have filed an attached worker claim with the employment security commission months ago for me so that I could receive partial unemployment benefits for the weeks I don't have enough work. Today is day #3 this week that I have NO WORK at all.

It is the LAW that they file this claim and they have never done it. This, coupled with unpaid wages and unpaid PTO, is turning out to really be something much bigger than I initially thought it was. I contacted HR and informed them of this (even though that isn't my job) and then I reported them to the ESC because I know HR won't do anything about it. This afternoon I will be calling the Dept. of Labor. I will not back down and have no doubt that the reason I sit with no work is because I won't just let all this go. Why they haven't fired me yet is beyond me...that one I can't figure out yet. I'm certainly not trying to get fired (I like my health insurance) but if they aren't going to give me any work, what are they waiting for? All I'm doing is trying to make them pay me what I earned...lol.

If they fire me? No, I really don't care. I know for a fact that I would get UE, and I would certainly be making more money than I am now. I just wish others at my company would stop being so scared of them and speak up and STAND UP and do something. They are one of the worst of the worst.

I, for one, am not afraid of them and will not be pushed around anymore.
Maybe they HAVE fired you. That would be why you - are getting no work. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
de
No. I would not have access to any - company anything
[ In Reply To ..]
platform, company email, time sheet system, etc.

I know for a fact I have not been fired.
They don't fire you b/ce of the UE, which qualifies you. If you quit, you disqualify. - That is what they are waiting for. No Message
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

My #1 Complaint
Jan 05, 2012

Why oh why do so many companies use those lame boxes for you to copy and paste your resume into? My perfectly formatted, beautiful document gets all messed up when pasted into their boxes!!  And fixing the new tabbing, etc. "errors" takes forever!!!! Rant over. ...

Complaint Board
Jul 02, 2010

Just a suggestion but if there are so many people with complaints about companies or their MT careers, etc., instead of getting "bashed," deleted, or otherwise, why not make a forum just for complaints and opinions and leave the other boards to more respectful and intelligent conversations.  Let's see if what I just posted doesn't prove my point. ...

General Complaint
Mar 30, 2011

Hi everyone:)  This is not a good night for me; I have been getting very bad dictators lately, my reports are so short, less than 2 minutes apiece, and I haven't gotten anything decent to speak of, and I am about to throw in the towel with this company.  It seems that since I have gone part time this has been happening a lot.  I am pushing just to get my required line count in, and with jobs like this it is hard to do.  My pay is going down, down, down, and I feel r ...

Okay, I Have An OTI Complaint, And I Do Think It's Legit!
Jun 10, 2013

I think the email we got from L. yesterday (on a Sunday!) was really overboard.  She said the were " tired " of work being out of TAT on the weekends.  Weill, I'm tired of there not being any work on the weekdays.  I happen to use Sunday as my day of rest and time with my family, and I truly resent being bawled out for not working on Sunday.  I work the other six days and have a life on Sundays outside of OTI.  I am so sick of being treated like a second ...

Another FIESA Complaint
Dec 19, 2013

Has anyone ever asked to not have their work reviewed by a certain reviewer? I keep getting work back from this one particular person where they remove what I transcribed and put a blank in its place. I made the effort to send in a report with no blanks and they take out what I transcribed??!! I am having a real problem with this person doing QA on my work. Is there anything that can be done about this? ...

AGE DISCRIMINATION Complaint
Feb 22, 2015

Has anyone reading this ever filed an age discrimination complaint? I have never felt my age was an issue before this current situation, but now have the feeling that it is, at least for possible employers. Recently, I was offered an IC position. I completed the required IC paperwork and submitted it. After that I never heard another word from the intake person or the two people I was supposed to be working with to get set up to be an IC for this company. I emailed the intake person and one ...

Period After Chief Complaint
Oct 27, 2010

Are the current guidelines to put a period (.) after incomplete sentences, such as in Chief Complaint of Assessment/Plan in an H&P, Op Report, etc?   Thanks - Gail ...

Chief Complaint Dystonia S/l Low-ens
Mar 29, 2011

This is in the chief complaint. When doc mentions later, she just says dystonia in bilateral lower extremities. ...

My Biggest Complaint Is That Every Time I Get
May 16, 2014

a long report (which happens too often), my screen freezes.  ...

Complaint About Doctors And Accuracy
Jan 19, 2015

One of the biggest complaints I have is when the doctor doesn't spell the patient's name. I mean I cannot know how to spell all foreign names nor can I tell if it is a male or female. Another one is when doctors do not spell carbon copy doctors' names nor sometimes even say where they are from. If they want those things to be accurate, then dictate it that way PLEASE. ...

H&P With Chief Complaint Of Respiratory Distress
Jan 17, 2010

Plan: Admit to medical center for stabilization and evaluation.  Oxygen 2L per nasal cannula.  Theo-Dur 200 mg p.o. q. 12h to begin with.  Lasix 40 mg IV now and 40 mg p.o. b.i.d.  This is where I need help........... Digitalize, replace potassium.  Should there be a comma after Digitalize or a colon?  Thanks in advance ...

How Do I Go About Filing A Labor Relations Complaint?
Aug 06, 2010

I am supposed to be an IC, and according to the IRS definition and 20-factor test, I am being treated as an employee with each day bringing new employee guidelines into play.  How do I file a complaint and be allowed compensation and benefits as an employee?  This company is just worming their way around paying benefits and downtime compensation to employees by stating they are ICs.     ...

Complaint - Companies With Online Applications.
Dec 17, 2010

I just cannot bring myself to spend hours filling out an online application when they already have my resume which has ALL of that pertinent information on it! I also cannot see spending considerable time filling out an online application, then waiting to see IF they respond to me, then IF they do respond with an offer to test, going through the testing to get an offer I can't accept. The online apps, though, are the #1 issue for me.  It is insane.  Through complaining.  T ...

Filed A Remedy Complaint About The New Spellcheck
Dec 22, 2014

First tech wanted to go over with me how to actually do it. I told Sanjeep no thanks I already took the tutorial, I know how to do it, I was just filing a complaint that the new spellcheck is time consuming and redundant and costing me money. Why must I hit spell check minimum of 2 times for each report and why must it stop on every mandatory heading with no way to bypass them? Why does it spellcheck the entire report twice when you try to split a job? Why did they decide to use Shift-Alt fo ...

I Downloaded The Labor Standards Complaint Form
Apr 05, 2012

For the great State of Wisconsin (as they say). All that free data entry we do, headers and so on - yeah, I'm gonna put a price on all that.  Go ahead and tell me, State of Wisconsin, that in the great United States of America, workers can be expected to DONATE their time and effort to a company, and it's A-OK.  Go ahead, tell me that - so I can add it into my video. ...

I Don't Know Who Keeps Starting These Oracle "complaint Threads" (see Message)
Mar 09, 2011

but I have been with OTI for MANY years and I have VERY SELDOM run out of work. If I got low on work, I'd ask for a backup account and usually got one. They don't bother me while I'm working unless they call to ask me to do a stat. Perhaps they have "favorites," but I'm not one of them, I can assure you. I don't understand, if you are so unhappy with Oracle, why you don't just LEAVE? I'll probably get a bunch of flack from this post, but I'm sick an ...

Worried About Being Able To Even Make What I Used To Make Doing
Apr 11, 2011

I seem to be spending an awful lot of time in VR documents, so I am confused as to why I am getting paid less for them.  This stupid VR system types whatever it thinks it might be hearing and sometimes doesn't type anything at all.  I hate this VR.  I am up to 1800 lines but usually do 2200-2500 a day on straight transcription.  I don't know how I am going to feed my children.  I am a single mom and the head of household.  Believe me the child support isn& ...

How Much Does A CCM Make
Jun 17, 2010

And do they get bonuses based on TAT?   have always been curious about this.  There was a time when I made more per year than an asst. supervisor (back at my co. before MQ bought us out).  Of course that is not the case anymore.  Any educated guesses? ...

Do Any Of The MTs Out There Make At Least...sm
Jan 25, 2011

$15 an hour on a daily basis.  I am in a horrific job right now (outside of my home) and need to make at least what I am making now which is about $15 an hour for a total of $97 a day.  I know transcription is tough nowadays, but if I go back to MT, do you think I can make at least that on a daily basis? ...

Is It Possible To Make
Aug 17, 2011

around $1,000/month part-time in this industry? ...

I Seriously Don't Know How To Make This Better
Aug 24, 2011

I've been working with this company for over 90 days. The first 90 days was a paid internship. Paid hourly, minimum wage. I am now a full time employee...paid on production.   However, I can not even seem to make minimum wage while on production pay! It is driving me nuts and is very discouraging. I'm not sure where to point the finger.   I worked 8 hours, only took one 20 minute break to eat. Over those 8 hours, according to the employers data base, I did around 1200 lin ...

What Do You Make?
Nov 15, 2011

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before ... or if this is one of those taboo subjects.. :) But what do you make per month as an MT and how many hours per week do you work to achieve that?  I'm just feeling like I can/should up my game a bit and thought this may be an encouraging way to get that push I need.  :)  ...

MUP (make Up Pay)
Sep 25, 2012

Anyone every get fired from Nuance for MUP?  ...

Okay Say I Make 10/6
Nov 05, 2012

What do you think they will do to get rid of me? I am really worried now, reading about all these terminations. ...

I DO NOT Want To Make Anyone Mad....
Nov 13, 2012

I looked at all the emails under here when I stopped work this afternoon and was hoping for a good description of the Town Hall meeting thingy.  What was the upshot?  Anything other than the usual blah blah blah?  Anything we need to know or else! LOL ...

Can You Make Any $$ With VR???
Feb 23, 2013

Okay, I'm waaaay behind the times.  I have been doing straight transcription for 35 years and am about to switch to VR editing at 0.45 cents per line.  Good Grief.  Can I make any money doing this??  My straight transcription accounts have all switched over about 80% of their work to VR and left all the truly terrible dictators on straight.  ...

How Much Do You Make?
Jul 22, 2013

Make's One Wonder--sm
Aug 07, 2013

Apparently the account I work on will be going completely offshore.  I am being moved to an account that I know has work (at least for now, not sure how many others will be switched to this one too).  I have to wonder though when will be the point when accounts go offshore and people are just fired.  While people do quit, is it enough to ensure there is still work stateside.  I have things that need to be taken care of.  New tires, new brakes, a new refrigerator, etc.&n ...

Does VR Make Anyone
Jul 27, 2014

after doing report after report?  Most of the reports I do are long, and there are so many incorrect words, looking at the mess that makes so sense, following along with the words,  and correcting literally makes me nauseated.   I feel like my eyeballs are crossed trying to focus in where the dictator is which is hard when the words I see are not the words I hear.  Sure can tell a transcriptionist had no part in developing this crap. I have ...

I Have Never Had So Much Make-up Pay!
Jan 21, 2015

After celebrating having no make-up pay last paycheck, I have an absolutely horrific amount of make-up pay this paycheck. The difference?????? Cesspool, a lot of bad audio and even worse ASR output than the normal terrible output. Got told today that my minor error rate is above metrics. They apparently have decided to inflict that on us now, despite the fact that I have passed every audit. They have also been auditing us every day. Gotta measure every bit they can think of! Oh what ...