A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

HIPAA -unplanned babies being born into bad social situations - Me

Posted: Mar 31, 2012

Serious question... I transcribe for a hospital/account that is in a different state than where I live. I get so upset sometimes at the types of reports that I get. Usually I transcribe/edit them and move on and they all blend together and I forget at the end of the day who/what I typed. Which is a good thing. However, some reports about OB especially really bother me, basically unwanted or unplanned babies being born into bad social situations. My question is can I contact this hospital or my MTSO for them to contact the hospital and give my information as to my interest is adoption? I'm serious. I know it is a HIPAA violation to ask any information on any patient, and I am certainly not keeping any of it for myself either. I do not remember the patient's name after I send the report. But is it possible for me to contact via email the hospital that I transcribe for, say HR, and let them know that if any babies are born that are not "wanted" that I would seriously be open for adoption. I would give them all of my info for the hospital to contact me or even the patient herself. Long story short, I am unable to have children on my own and would love to have them, and do not have the finances for IUI, IVF, and even adoption. And no I am not "combing" the hospitals looking for a baby either. I am very curious about this and would like some advice before I go about it, if I even do. I have not said anything to my MTSO or anyone else. Is it possible to just hey I'm here to help? or am I crazy? Thanks much

Please don't do that. Cant' you register with - adoption agencies? SM

[ In Reply To ..]
The hospital would just suggest you do this anyway, you cannot adopt from a hospital. What about foster care? I know it must break your heart, but please don't do what you are thinking.

As said, especially below with "HIPAA." People responsible - enough to adopt a baby need to

[ In Reply To ..]
adopt a responsible approach.

HIPAA - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
What you are thinkng of doing would be inappropriate and, yes, would be viewed as a privacy violation and as unethical.

No hospital would cooperate with this. They cannot approach folks they feel have poor situations to suggest that they give their children up.

They would have to respond with an immediate demand to have you removed from their account. I am certain that your company would feel it necessary to fire you. You would not get a good reference, either. You might even find yourself being charged with a crime.

The thing is that you cannot USE patient records for ANY reason, even if you think it is a good reason.

You cannot check to see if your mom's prescription got written and you cannot save babies.

Respecting the privacy of patients means more than just not talking about them. You shouldn't even be thnking about them or their situations.

I would recommend that you contact an adoption agency and do this the right way. Perhaps you could ask your pastor to recommend one.

sm - quasi modem

[ In Reply To ..]
You transcribe for a hospital account in a different state than where you live. (An across the state line deal, eh?) You are really bothered and upset about some OB reports, basically referencing unwanted or unplanned babies being born into bad social situations. (Yeah they are much easier to kidnap that's for sure.)You do not have the finances to adopt. (That's why you came up with this idea, you clever devil)! You are not "combing" hospitals looking for a baby. (Well of course you're not)! You would give the hospital all of your info for the hospital to contact you ((try to haggle down the cut of the "middle man" when you get contacted by "the hospital", would ya?) or even the patient herself. (Now that's really using the old bean a roo. Cut out the middle man, er, I mean "the hospital" and save yourself some serious megabucks!)

I say, go for it!

That was exactly what went through my head when - I read this.

[ In Reply To ..]
And that is exactly what the hospital and law enforcement will think.

HIPAA - me

[ In Reply To ..]
If you transcribed reports on extremely wealthy men who were single and said to their doctor they were lonely, would you consider calling the hospital and asking for a date?

While your heart hurts for babies, you have no idea what the reality of their situation will be.

If you want a baby, adopt, the right way. There are thousands of children who need loving, caring parents.

What is the HIPAA violation? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You said that you knew it was a HIPAA violation to ask for information on any patient.

ASKING for information on a patient is NOT a HIPAA violation.

DIVULGING information would be a violation.

USING information for your own purposes, whether you divulged it or not, would be a violation.

You are ALREADY using it. You are paying attention to it, becoming upset about it, making value judgements about patients because of it, and planning actions based on it. Fortunately for you, nobody knows about it yet.

HIPAA - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Asking for information on a patient, unless that patient is a minor and you are the parent or legal guardian or an insurance company or third party payor requesting information, would be a HIPAA violation. You cannot ask for information out of the blue on someone without their authorization. For MTs, accessing patient information unless it is being done in the course of their job, is a HIPAA violation.

Asking for information is not a violation . . . - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You can ask all you want . . . absolutely nothing wrong with that.

People ask for it all the time. They have no authorization, or they have invalid authorization, or whatever . . . but there is no violation there.

The violation occurs when you give them what they weren't supposed to have.

There's no HIPAA issue here. - Berta

[ In Reply To ..]
As long as you're not contacting anyone with respect to any specific patient, but merely inquiring as to adoption opportunities, such a general inquiry has nothing whatsoever to do with HIPAA.

Folks, the privacy and security provisions of HIPAA deal with the protection of personally identifiable healthcare information, and specifically measures to keep it from being improperly disclosed or revealed.

That's it - nothing more and nothing less. I've been bored to tears acquiring several certifications in this area and serving as a Privacy Officer.

Perhaps more to the point, contacting any hospital in this regard would almost certainly be useless. The suggestion someone made to register with an adoption agency is the right answer.

Unless she slips up... - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
...and says, "while I was transcribing reports for your hospital..." or she slips up and says, "I cried my eyes out about that baby with heroin-addicted mom that got left in a car" - and it wasn't in the local news, so how did she hear about it? Really, the potential for getting fired is real.

My apologies...sm - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you all for replying. I would like to explain my question. Please understand that my heart was in the right place, unfortunately my brain wasn't and the wording was wrong. I am not trying to cut out the middle man like some have posted, I was clearly trying to get answers about if it was even possible or "smart" on my part to offer my name as someone who could help. I was not trying to do anything sneaky, illegal, unethical, or any such word. I also do not want to lost my job over this, so apparently I was way wrong posting my question and I feel terrible about it. I do apologize to anyone that I have offended. I know people who are adopted and have adopted and would never downplay or offend them in any way. I truly apologize for that. Also, I do not keep track of any work that I do, I merely made an observation. However, I've seen postings on here from others about patients doing this or that and MTs being mad about it, but yet I feel judged and upset by some of your posts regarding my intentions. Again, my heart was in the right place, but God help my stupid brain. The minute I posted my question, I second guessed if I should have, well I should have not. I have not pursued anything beyond this post and will not do anything that I asked in my OP, and certainly am not "trying to save myself a buck" and since I was unable to delete/edit my OP, I will end this by stating again, it was just a question!! I am not baby crazy, I was merely trying to be good hearted and it was clearly misconstrued. I will not post anything like this again nor will I reply. Sorry I even brought it up. I'll take my foot out of my mouth now.

I sincerely apologize and that's the end of it.

Person who wants a child - transcriber

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel terrible for you. If you cannot afford to adopt, I know several people who have fostered children and then were allowed to adopt them (for no cost). Maybe that is the route you should take. I agree that the method you have stated here would probably be a huge conflict of interest and not the best route to take. Good luck to you.

Adoption questions - ljn

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, I was truly shocked at some of the responses to this lady; the judgmental, accusatory tone was really unfortunate.

I didn't get at all that she was trying to "dodge the system" as a couple of you insinuated.

Her post really hit home - There was a time that I too, might have done something careless/without thinking, because my desire to hold a child of my own was just that strong.

Having trudged the sad road of childlessness and failed adoption (for no other reason than my older spouse decided when it came time for us to be matched with a child, he decided he didn't want to parent again).

I completely understand the utter heartbreak and even that momentary feeling of "desperation" (my words) that the poster was/is feeling. She poured her heart out, and was soundly chastised for it by some of you. What a shame.

ME, I agree with many others here, in as much that you would be up against a huge bureaucratic wall, for many of the reasons addressed here. HIPAA violation or no, there is just so much paperwork and red-tape that goes into the adoption process.

But, I STRONGLY urge you to look into foster-to-adopt. You don't have to make tons of money; you DO need to prove that you can provide stability and are equipped emotionally and physically to meet some of the challenges of child who has had a rough start in life - as you know already. Call an agency or two, and ask if they run foster-adopt programs. Adoption agencies are, in most cases, much more organized than going directly through the county that you live in. They will guide you through every step of the process. In most cases, your expenses for all of the paperwork and classes will be paid for through grants and special stipends. Monies you put up initially are typically reimbursed. It can be done! If you are serious about wanting to parent, don't sit and wish or fantasize as you transcribe these OB reports - instead, be proactive, get on the phone and start making some calls! There are babies, and children both young and older who need a loving parent!

Prayers for you.... - I know your pain....

[ In Reply To ..]
Let me first say that my children are adopted and recently my daughter and son-in-law were able to adopt a son. I feel your pain in a way that you know I do. Going through infertility myself was nothing compared to going through it with my daughter and son-in-law now. The expense and "humiliation" of going through adoption now is unbelievable. You cannot just say how much you want a child - you have to nearly prostate yourself in front of the social workers and other adoption agency personnel to prove that you are even capable of being a parent. You are "not worthy" until you prove otherwise. Then money becomes the issue - and usually this comes after spending every available dime that you have on medical care, up to and including failed IVF. Our daughter and son-in-law were able to adopt their son because they got the word out that they were looking and someone knew someone who knew someone who knew someone - they are still about 5-6 years out from adoption through the agency they are working with.
I guess my point in writing this is to share with the original poster that there are some of us who understand the pain and to share with those who were harsh that you cannot know to what lengths a childless person will go to to become a parent. As long as the arms are empty, the heartache is there. It consumes you. Was the suggestion radical? Maybe, but I understand her pain.
I would encourage the poster to let everyone know that she is looking to adopt. I'm a firm believer in the power of prayer. I believe that is what let our daughter and son-in-law to their son. I will add you to my prayer list.

Similar Messages:

Unplanned Pregnancies
Sep 17, 2010

Was using the previous report look-up.  The patient was on "Phenergan birth control pills."  This was the previous REAL report that was submitted and apparently signed off on --- not ASR.  Good grief.      ...

OOW Situations For Fla. Employees
Jun 03, 2015

Nuance is playing a game to get people to quit by slashing wages 40% to 50% instead of laying them off and paying unemployment.  Everyday we run out of work 4, 5, 6 hours before end of shift.  We do have a recourse, however.  Florida unemployment rules say this:  If you are working part-time (fewer than 32 hour during a Sunday through Saturday week) you would be eligible to draw partial benefits if your gross earnings for the week are not equal to or greater than your weekly ...

Question Regarding Unplanned Interruption
Oct 01, 2011

If you're suddenly interrupted by an important matter and you're in the middle of a report, what should you do?  Log out?  If so, do you lose the report after a certain period of time? ...

Chronicle Transcripts - Current Work Situations?
May 10, 2010

I may have an opportunity with Chronicle and would like to ask about current work situations.  I've seen a few older posts in archives regarding running out of work and the Apex platform.  Have these problems been resolved?  Any new information?  I would so appreciate anything anyone has to say. ...

HIPAA - Need A Quick Check On HIPAA Rules
Oct 29, 2009

Hi, I need a quick check on HIPAA rules.  With respect to the health care debate, I want to write to my senator, etc., about a situation with a patient I transcribed on.  The only info. I intend to give is that the patient was a:  Russian immigrant, on welfare and receiving Medicaid benefits--when he should not have.  He and his "sponsor(s)" was responsible for his care and living expenses.  Further, I transcribed a note in which the doctor said that this patient wanted to re-sched ...

Pt Born In Guadalajara S/l "Hy Ees Co" Mexico.
Feb 13, 2013

? ...

Social Security Taxes
Jan 11, 2011

This is my first year to work solely as an IC.  I have been sending quarterly taxes in to the IRS using the form 1040 payment vouchers they supplied.  It has just occurred to me that I don't know if any of the money I am sending in is going to Social Security tax.  I am not sure how it is allocated.  I send in 25-30% of my earnings.  Can anyone with more knowledge about this help me understand?  Thanks so much!  ...

Anyone Who Has Applied For Social Security Or UE. Sm
Dec 27, 2012

Did you list Nuance as your employer or AlphaStaff or ADP? Confusing for me. Waiting for HR to reply, but I need to know soon.  It's like pulling teeth to get information from this company.  ...

Early Social Security
Jun 29, 2013

How do you go about getting early SS??  How early can you get it.  I am in my 50's so is that too early?  I remember my mom did that but she was older and she still worked 3 days a week and as long as she kept under a certain amount she was allowed to do both. ...

How To Word S/l Pscychlo Social Turnbacks?
Oct 13, 2009

although he has had a fair amount of pscychlo social turnbacks (father died, best friend died) over the last several months, is doing fairly well. ...

Social Contact And Working At Home
Jan 21, 2010

I'm strongly considering working at home. Do any of you who work at home have tips on balancing out the long hours working alone with having social contact, especially those of you who live alone or live with one other person?  I'm already an introvert to an extent but I'm nervous of the fact that if I work at home, I may become a hermit.  ...

Social Or Special Screening Of Colon
Dec 18, 2013

I can't understand if the doctor is saying: Social Screening of Colon or Special Screening of Colon ...

I'm Out Of The MT Market... I Filed For Social Security Today
Nov 02, 2009

I have grown tired of looking for a job, and it just so happens I turn 62 next month, so I'm out of the MT market.  Goodbye to you MTSOs who play games with hard working people trying to put food on the table.  It's gonna catch up with you and as they say, "Jimmy Crack Corn and....."  I pray you MTs who are younger will find jobs or get out of this dying field.  It has really changed in the last 15 years, but radically changed in the last 2.  Goodbye.&nbs ...

Social Security Death/Retirement Benefits
Jul 10, 2010

My aunt is 63, still working, uncle 66, still working PT but receiving full SS benefits.  He has recently been diagnosed with cancer.  If he dies, and my aunt keeps working (she is working for the medical insurance), will she receive his death benefit, and will it be the same amout.  She is worried about this, well in advance (we hope) and I just wanted to ease her mind a little.  Thank you. ...

Local Social Club To Transcribe Documents
Mar 31, 2013

I have been hired by a local social club to transcribe documents for their archives. The original is 52 pages long, but with refomatting and all, i expect the document to be over 100 pages long. Can anybody give me an idea of what to charge? ...

Social Security And Progressive Part Time
May 23, 2013

Thinking of taking early SS and cutting hours so I would not make much more than the 15,000 you are allowed on SS.  That way I would still be eligible for insurance until I am old enough for Medicare. Has anyone else done this or know any pros and cons about that progressive part time thing?  TIA ...

Does Anyone Know If A Person Can Collect Social Security And Unemployment?
Jan 07, 2014

I have an email out to a friend with this question also.  She was laid off and had already applied for social security early.  Haven't heard back yet. ...

Transcription For Psychologists/counselors/social Workers
Feb 16, 2015

Do psychologists, psychotherapists, counselors, social workers use the services of transcriptionists?  ...

Social Security. HaHa! Tried To Apply-absolutely Frustrated
Dec 03, 2009

First, they took almost $300 off me back in the '90s because I didn't pay for a year.Does wages of $37 and payment of $2 to SS count? The following year, it shows no income. Okay, maybe I didn't work that year but I still had 40 credits then. Now, I tried to apply and they want my W2 for 2008 according to the online applications. SS called me today. They show no wages for me in 2005. Send a W2, but they do have 2008 and  i don't have to send that. They show les ...

Professional/Social MT/Editor Groups In New York City
Dec 20, 2010

Hello, I am a medical transcriptionist and, lately, a medical editor who lives in New York City. I would like to meet fellow MTs/editors in my area for professional and social purposes. I am having a bit of trouble finding data on the Internet that points out MT groups (or even just individuals) in the NYC metro area. I was wondering if anyone had any information about such groups in NYC. Please let me know. Or, if you are an individual MT/editor who just wants to reach out and say "hell ...

Filing For Early Social Security/Working Part-time
Apr 07, 2012

Anyone here working part-time and receiving early Social Security benefits? I am considering doing this in the next year and wondering if anyone else is already doing so. Thoughts?  I've been working full-time since the age of 18 years and part-time before that, with only a 6-month period of time between jobs, but was collecting severance pay those 6 months. So, I really feel I deserve to get back some of the money I've put into Social Security over the last 4-1/2 d ...

Female's Social History, Dr Clearly Said Patient Lives At Home With Her Wife. I Left It SM
Jan 17, 2015

Did not know if gay marriage was legal in that state (PA)  but it was certainly what was said.,, so I didn't want to flag it either.  Fortunately, I no longer work for Nuance.  No telling what kind of dings I wold have gotten for that.   ...

Well, So Much For HIPAA Law
Feb 04, 2011

My husband went in to have blood tests done for a new blood pressure medication he is on and when he left the house to get an RX filled, the nurse from the doctor's office called to tell him the results of his blood tests. Out of curiosity (testing the HIPAA thing), I asked her if his potassium level was okay and SHE TOLD ME that all his levels were fine except blood sugar was a little high! Not only that, I then asked her what new medication had been prescribed and SHE TOLD ME THAT ALSO! M ...

HIPAA
Nov 23, 2012

I failed to cc a physician they said so I got a 3.0 deduction on a dictation.  First one I have ever got.  I haven't got an email or anything yet.  I just saw it on one of my corrections.  I haven't gotten anything from FIESA yet. ...

ALLERGIES None. DRUG ALLERGIES SOCIAL HISTORY
Jan 24, 2013

The dictator says ALLERGIES None. DRUG ALLERGIES---SOCIAL HISTORY He is a smoker. He works construction. He says nothing after DRUG ALLERGIES. So do I combine ALLERGIES and DRUG ALLERGIES? Or do I put None even though he did not say it? ...

Has Anyone Done The HIPAA Training?
Jan 03, 2010

Has anyone done the HIPAA training?  How was the test? ...

HIPAA Test
Jan 10, 2010

Could some kindly let me know where the HIPAA test is located in MQCentral.  Thanks! ...

Understanding HIPAA
Jan 21, 2010

I am trying to get a grasp on understanding HIPAA.  Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find "easy-to-understand" HIPAA rules?  I have a doct that I type his documents in Word and print them to letterhead for him and then hand-deliver them myself to his office.  Is this breaking HIPAA rules?  I just need to know what I have to be doing to be HIPAA-compliant and not aware of the facts.  Thanks for any input! ...

Regarding HIPAA - This Is Important For MTs
Jan 28, 2010

if we are to be held responsible for any kind of so-called 'security breach' which can be so easily manipulated to either just get ridf US MTs or at least make life a iving ____ for those of us left in these jobs (for example, if your reports are not 100% perfect - because 98-100% would no longer make sense because an error is an error and all are a security risk and breach - (this is so ridiculous I almost cannot even write it)); however, an MT can and will be fired for such?  Im ...

Question About HIPAA
May 29, 2010

I had to take my 18 year old daughter to the ER the other night because she cut her finger (not seriously thank goodness).  Being a medical transcriptionist I was rather surprised, she was not given any type of HIPAA form to sign, was not told anything about HIPAA, I thought everyone had to sign one.  I always have received a form when I went to the doctor or the hospital but she signed absolutely nothing.  Is this something new or is it a HIPAA violation since she did not sign an ...