A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Well, so much for HIPAA law - Makes ya wonder

Posted: Feb 04, 2011

My husband went in to have blood tests done for a new blood pressure medication he is on and when he left the house to get an RX filled, the nurse from the doctor's office called to tell him the results of his blood tests. Out of curiosity (testing the HIPAA thing), I asked her if his potassium level was okay and SHE TOLD ME that all his levels were fine except blood sugar was a little high! Not only that, I then asked her what new medication had been prescribed and SHE TOLD ME THAT ALSO! Mind you, she did not know who she was talking to, I had not identified myself as his wife and she did not even ask who she was talking to! Even if she knew I was his wife, she still legally should not have given me any information at all.

my doctor's office have you fill out a form when you first start seeing them for HIPPA and ask - cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
if it is okay to give results to anyone else besides ourselves and we both have each other listed and the children as they are 20 and 17 now, so it is okay for them to give the results if he filled out something in the chart. But should have asked who you were unless they see you all so much they know you.

That is what shocked me, my husband - Makes ya wonder

[ In Reply To ..]
did not fill this form out. He rarely goes to the doctor and I go once a year to another doctors office for my 10,000 mile checkup. My husband only saw this doctor once there and the other 2 times he only saw the nurse, so nobody there knows us well. The only reason he was there was because his blood pressure showed up high on a physical he had to take for his CDL license and the medication they first put him on was not working out, so they wanted to do blood tests to put him on another type of BP medication, he never saw the doctor today, just the nurse. Again, she did not even know who she was talking to when she gave me this information.

I don't know if I should just leave this alone, or maybe go over there and talk to the nurse herself about it. I really don't want to cause any trouble over it, but she could possibly lose her job if someone else decides to make a big deal out of it if this is an ongoing thing she does. Some people may have health issues they do not want their spouses or other family members to know about. Should I just mind my own business or should I say something?

Interesting issue - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
This makes me wonder if any information at ALL should be given over the telephone. I mean, just because I SAY I'm me doesn't mean it's so. Perhaps doctors' offices should require that people come into the office in person with identification to learn results of tests.

I live in a rural area, and my general practitioner's receptionist and office staff sit behind a very low desk. A lot of information is visible when a patient signs in... patient names, prescriptions, open charts, etc. I haven't bothered to say anything, although I have considered it.
There are times when it really needs to be given - to someone, and the patient
[ In Reply To ..]
is not available. When I worked at a doctor's office, we always recommended that they list someone as it becomes a huge problem with labs and referrals if someone is not listed, not to mention the liability for the doctor's office also when the patient never got their pulmnology appointment for the small lung mass that is now large, etc.

I started in a doctor's office back in 2003 and all that I have worked and have been to have some sort of place to list people to contact.

I also have a super memory. I would have people call and ask for an appointment. They would never even give their name and call back saying they never gave me a name. They didn't have to because I knew them. I knew their insurance, their copays, most of their health problems, not because they were there that often, just because I can remember.

I have seen instances in divorce where HIPAA is needed, and I have also seen issues where it is your worst nightmare with life or death situations.
Issue - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
My doctor's office will call and leave a message for me to return their call, they've never given info to anyone else. I seriously doubt if that nurse/MA is doing anything intentionally, probably just extremely busy and trying to expedite things. If your husband didn't sign a release/confidentiality statement when he checked in there is a problem anyway because that definitely has to be on file in the patient record. If you want to pursue this, make sure you have all your facts before going in there and accusing people of HIPAA violations. There is a hotline where you can report things confidentially, they could tell you if a breach occurred. I personally would let it go, but it's up to you.
I agree with you, and note for the OP too - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
DH's doc calls and gives me information about my husband...no big deal. Maybe DH told them in the office they could speak with me. They know I'm his wife when I go to the office and talk to them while DH is in with doc. Don't know, don't care, we just need the info they are providing.

It's extremely important to know the facts before accusing anyone of anything.

To the OP, I'd call them back and ask them if there is a form in the system allowing them to give the information to other members in the family. If not, ask them to send you one to fill out and have in their records just to be safe.
Confidentiality - This Stuff
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm always amazed at how most doctor's offices have the phones right at the front desk. When I'm in the waiting room, I can hear everything they are saying when talking to another patient. "Front desk" stuff is usually insurance related, but it's still none of my business and it does involve a certain amount of confidentiality breach, it would seem. I know the patient's name they are talking to, and which claim didn't go through, etc. I have also heard, "and what did you want to see the doctor about?" That, to me, is a breach.
They can only do so much. You have 1 to 2 - people working in the front
[ In Reply To ..]
usually, check in and check out. The check out people are handling the ones coming out on one side of the front office, and the check in are handling the ones coming in on the other side.
A doctor's office is usually an extremely tough place to work. You can't take each person back individually in a sound proof room to ask them about what they are there for. If the patient answers, there should be no breach as they could always say I would rather discuss it with the nurse or doctor. Usually, they are just wanting to make sure they have the right amount of time alloted for the patient. The doctor's do get very upset about this if it is not correct. As far as insurance goes, if they are just talking about the claim and not diagnosis, it shouldn't be a problem.

I am beginning to wonder if they are going to have to start putting separate holding rooms for patients waiting so no one even sees each other.
They had better figure out how to do more than "only - so much." This is the law. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Which part exactly is the law? Most doctor's - office do try in every way
[ In Reply To ..]
possible to abide by the law. When I sat through required HIPAA classes, I was surprised. It really does not go as far as a lot of people think with some of these issues.

Speaking with someone about their insurance claim being denied at the front desk is not against HIPAA. Asking them what they need to be seen for is not against HIPAA.

You cant disregard a law b/c is inconvienent or time - consuming. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Right, so what is the law? Are people disregarding - it, or do others really not know
[ In Reply To ..]
the HIPAA laws.

Example, poster above was talking about the receptionist asking a patient what they are there for in the waiting room being against HIPAA. HIPAA is to keep information private, not a law to compromise healthcare, which is exactly what people are trying to turn it into. If you have a patient come in and don't ask them what they are there for, well that is a huge problem. What if they are having a heart attack? What if they are having a stroke?

I had someone that I neglected to ask on one occasion a person who was in complete renal failure. He sat out in the lobby quitely until his turn, and then this person who was quite young came back with his blood pressure extremely low and went straight to CCU. That is a problem.
I dont know the law but know that if one who does goes - to office and sees a breach of HIPAA, SM
[ In Reply To ..]
saying you havent changed practice cause it was inconvenient or time consuming, isnt gonna cut the mustard.
I DO know the facts, there is no form in their system - Makes ya wonder
[ In Reply To ..]
and my husband did not tell them they could tell me anything, and they do not know me from Adam. Like I said, I do not want to cause any trouble for anyone, just thought maybe I should talk to the nurse herself so she does not lose her job if someone else decides to take issue for the same thing.
Then kindly ask them to send you a form to fill out - Its really a no-brainer
[ In Reply To ..]
At least to me. If there is no form then ask them to send you one. Maybe ask them what their policy is regarding patient information being given to family members. You say you don't want to cause trouble but it is sounding like you do.

If you are so concerned with her not losing her job, then I would kindly ask them what their policy is and get a signed form in the records if it bothers you that much.
No, I do not want to cause anyone to lose their job - Makes ya wonder
[ In Reply To ..]
or anything like that, just wondered if I should say something to this nurse in person so that someone else does not report her and she lose her job. We do not have medical insurance at the moment and will use another doctor's office from now on due to this. I will not report it to any hotline as not that big a deal to me.
It obviously is a big deal to you as you are posting - it as a topic on here
[ In Reply To ..]
due to this. If it was your husband that is the patient, he is the one who should complain if there is any complaining to be done, not you.

I probably would not ask a nurse for information either about my husband again if I were going to get upset that she gave it to me.
This is the perfect post for here. Who more than us are interested - in HIPAA? Different opinions are good. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
From the looks of the some of the opinions, it seems - that some of the healthcare
[ In Reply To ..]
professionals need to be doing a little more studying into it. I'm actually a bit surprised.
To OP - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I was curious about all of this so went to the HHS/OCR website and found the section in regard to reporting HIPAA violations. I would suggest reviewing the FAQs and other info, I think you might find it helpful. From what I can determine, I don't think a violation occurred. There are rules governing sharing info with family members if those family members are involved in the patient's care or share responsibility for the bill. You might want to check with the facility in regard to the signed form, it may be included in the document that gives them permission to treat. Again, something should have been signed when you checked in. The employee in question probably would not lose her job, but she and/or the facility would have to pay a huge fine. Just be careful before you do anything.
Thank you - Makes ya wonder
[ In Reply To ..]
I have already decided to just leave it alone and not do anything. I do think she should have at least asked who she was talking to. I merely posted because I wanted to know what others thought about it to decide whether I should talk to the nurse or not. I did not think I would get some of the nasty comments and judgments, geez.

Thank you for the information about the HHS/OCR website and the example of how a post should be made to someone just asking a simple question, now I don't feel like I am back in high school with immature teenagers and bullies.

Makes ya wonder - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
If that had happened to me, I would be calling his doctor, asking to speak to him (or her) personally and relating what happened. That is outrageous. Okay, a blood sugar might not be so serious, but what if she does that with someone's HIV test or something like that?

Old pro - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
You also might want to check out the HHS web site in regard to HIPAA, see my post addressed to OP. There are special rules covering HIV patients too. I think you're blowing this out of proportion. According to the FAQs on the web site, HIPAA rules permit sharing of information with family members over the phone, she never shared anything with strangers.

Don't forget if it happened to be a positive - communicable disease

[ In Reply To ..]
such as HIV it would be reported to the health department, and then, if the doctor's office hadn't already told your spouse, the health department would be glad to along with contacting people from the past also.

Similar Messages:

HIPAA - Need A Quick Check On HIPAA Rules
Oct 29, 2009

Hi, I need a quick check on HIPAA rules.  With respect to the health care debate, I want to write to my senator, etc., about a situation with a patient I transcribed on.  The only info. I intend to give is that the patient was a:  Russian immigrant, on welfare and receiving Medicaid benefits--when he should not have.  He and his "sponsor(s)" was responsible for his care and living expenses.  Further, I transcribed a note in which the doctor said that this patient wanted to re-sched ...

HIPAA
Nov 23, 2012

I failed to cc a physician they said so I got a 3.0 deduction on a dictation.  First one I have ever got.  I haven't got an email or anything yet.  I just saw it on one of my corrections.  I haven't gotten anything from FIESA yet. ...

Has Anyone Done The HIPAA Training?
Jan 03, 2010

Has anyone done the HIPAA training?  How was the test? ...

HIPAA Test
Jan 10, 2010

Could some kindly let me know where the HIPAA test is located in MQCentral.  Thanks! ...

Understanding HIPAA
Jan 21, 2010

I am trying to get a grasp on understanding HIPAA.  Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find "easy-to-understand" HIPAA rules?  I have a doct that I type his documents in Word and print them to letterhead for him and then hand-deliver them myself to his office.  Is this breaking HIPAA rules?  I just need to know what I have to be doing to be HIPAA-compliant and not aware of the facts.  Thanks for any input! ...

Regarding HIPAA - This Is Important For MTs
Jan 28, 2010

if we are to be held responsible for any kind of so-called 'security breach' which can be so easily manipulated to either just get ridf US MTs or at least make life a iving ____ for those of us left in these jobs (for example, if your reports are not 100% perfect - because 98-100% would no longer make sense because an error is an error and all are a security risk and breach - (this is so ridiculous I almost cannot even write it)); however, an MT can and will be fired for such?  Im ...

Question About HIPAA
May 29, 2010

I had to take my 18 year old daughter to the ER the other night because she cut her finger (not seriously thank goodness).  Being a medical transcriptionist I was rather surprised, she was not given any type of HIPAA form to sign, was not told anything about HIPAA, I thought everyone had to sign one.  I always have received a form when I went to the doctor or the hospital but she signed absolutely nothing.  Is this something new or is it a HIPAA violation since she did not sign an ...

People PLEASE...it Is HIPAA
Jun 16, 2010

Writing to your congressman and complaining to your companies about HIPPA makes you look like an idiot. ...

HIPAA And Archiving
Feb 28, 2011

I've searched and searched and can't find an answer.  Is there a HIPAA rule that dictates how long voice files, particularly voice recognition files, are supposed to be kept in archive?  Thanks for any help or pointing me in the right direction   ...

HIPAA Violations ...
Apr 01, 2011

First of all....isn't any medical report being typed out of our country by a another country that isn't required to follow HIPAA regulations.....well a HIPAA violation?  Not to mention a potential homeland security risk! Secondly, is anyone else bothered by being instructed to type the patient's name in the body of a report?  According to HIPAA regulations, the patient's name is NOT to be typed in the body of any medical report.  We are all violating HIPAA by doing this ...

HIPAA VIOLATIONS
Jun 13, 2012

So, my ex-husband of 15 years called my and my son's doctor's office and gets all of our medical and billing information (son is 21).  Takes those documents and files suit in court against me using the documents he obtained fraudulently to claim that I have lied about the cost of our son's medical bills (he has been ordered three times to to pay 50% of those costs which only amount to about $2,800).  Y'all get that?  He committed fraud in order to prove that I have committ ...

IC HIPAA Issue
Aug 29, 2013

Feel the need to address certain posts "..and there are no such places as you describe any longer. I have been working for an MTSO that treats their ICs as employees without all the "benefits," but also looking for something else along the way. I have not found ONE...not ONE service that takes true ICs any longer." This is called painting with a very broad brush. How can you claim that as accurate? Saying 'no such places' means you have literally checked into, inquired and e ...

HIPAA Rules
Oct 08, 2013

When a consultant's office calls the referred patient, is that office allowed to say the name of their office?  Ex:  Got a call from a GI office for my husband.  The woman gave her first name and said she needed his medical hx before she could schedule an appointment.  I asked what office she was from, and she said she couldn't say because of HIPAA but that it was a referral from his PCP.  Is it true that because of HIPAA we can't even know who's ...

HIPAA Violation...
Nov 11, 2013

I posted earlier about a HIPAA violation I believe the company I am subcontracting for is committing. I'm considering filing a complaint, but not sure what this would entail. Before I go too far into it, has anyone filed a complaint against an 'employer,' for lack of a better term, as I am a subcontractor & not an employee? This issue is weighing heavily on my mind. I do have proof of emails sent back and forth that are not encrypted or secured in any way containing reports with t ...

Win XP And HIPAA Violations? (sm)
Apr 08, 2014

What fines could MTSOs be faced with for HIPAA violations in requiring their employees to use Win XP, which is no longer HIPAA compliant?  I wonder if it might be worth an increase in line rate to keep our mouths shut.  ;o) ...

HIPAA Compliant?
Apr 23, 2014

From what I am hearing, if you have an XP computer, you are not HIPAA compliant. It violates regulatory requirements. Then why is MM not supplying us with Windows 7? My XP computer they gave me was freezing up, so they sent me another XP. I asked them why they didn't send me Windows 7 and they said XP was cheaper. So now as of April 8, they are not HIPAA compliant. I would like to know how they get around this,,,,,,having many accounts and still having many employees submitting reports u ...

HIPAA Training
Jan 27, 2015

I get why they do these webinar things, but honestly, the person narrating sounds like she herself is bored. I try to follow it, take notes, but know deep down that when I do the test very little of it will have been absorbed, so am resigned to taking the test any number of times. It's kind of like watching a weather report you are waiting for, yet then when it comes on you realize you have completely blanked and it's over. I have a real problem focusing on webinars. ...

Question: If New HIPAA Laws Are Going To Come Down
Dec 23, 2009

sending a copy of the report to the wrong doctor, what about sending all this work offshore?  What am I not understanding?  If sending a copy to the wrong Dr. Smith constitutes a huge breach of security, then sending people's health records and personal information offshore constitutes a GIGANTIC breach of security.    ...

Question About HIPAA Rules
Jan 13, 2010

Couldn't we just leave a note on any report with a cc to "please verify physician name for copy" which would then take the burden off of our shoulders? Not a QA marker, but by doing Ctrl + Shift + Q. I plan on leaving a note for anything that is questionable at all, ie., only last name given, unclear, cannot verify, whatever... I am not going down with them.  Fire me for it, then I will file for unemployment and win because they cannot fire you for a doctors mistake and then I might ...

Well, It Has Already Started, HIPAA Laws.
Feb 13, 2010

If we do not check our screen where patient name, info, attending, date of birth, blah blah blah is not correct or we did not check to make sure the dictator name is correct or attending name in the screen, of did not fill in attending or dictator for, this will have to be notified to HIPAA.  If company does not notify HIPAA that an MT made a mistake and did not correct patient name, dictator name, attending, etc., my company will be fined big time and possibly the MT too.  Honestly, ...

HIPAA Data Breach
May 02, 2010

I am reading far too many cases of MTs being fired/threatened for copying the wrong doctor on a report.  While this constitutes an error, it does not (NOT) constitute a HIPAA breach.  HIPAA law is being wielded like an axe by misinformed management, with the regulations being used to threaten and fire a huge segment of the American workforce.  MTs fired for a "cc" issue need to report their job loss to their state labor department as well as the department of health and human se ...

UPDATE On HIPAA Class
Jun 04, 2010

Here's the latest in my inbox: "These classes will vary in topic and although we will strongly suggest you take some or all of the classes in the end that decision will be up to you. They will not be mandatory as previously communicated but strongly encouraged for any MLS who wants to continue their education and professional training. HIPAA is the first class we loaded into the system because of the new regulations which became effective in February.  Some of these regulations a ...

Anyone Accused Of A HIPAA Violation And Let Go?
Jun 22, 2010

x ...

HIPAA??? Privacy??? Texas???
Oct 06, 2010

And they DARE to threaten US with HIPAA??  What a crashing joke!! http://www.theaustinbulldog.org/index.php/Main-Articles/Main-Articles/department-of-state-health-services.html     ...

Code Of Conduct, HIPAA?
Nov 12, 2010

What a joke. They come down on us so hard about this, but there is information on ADT we have no reason to see such as SS numbers. I have a couple of dictators who actually dictate the patient's SS number and say to put it on the report. Not to mention the wrong patient information and cc names given by the dictators. I now will always leave a QA note every time a cc name is given without the first and last name or any ADT names given without first and last name. With thousands of MTs wor ...

HIPAA Compliant Email
Nov 23, 2010

The doctor's office is switching to digital. We are trying to find HIPAA complaint email or some  other way to transfer the voice files. Any suggestions? Thanks! ...

Hipaa Computer Audit
Dec 13, 2010

What exactly is a hipaa computer audit?  I have been notified that the company I work for is going to do them but wonder what that entails. Thanks ...

HIPAA Test - Does Anyone Know How Long It Will Take?
Jun 14, 2011

nm ...

A Question For HIPAA Experts, Please
Jan 26, 2012

I just had a rather unsettling experience and would like some feedback.  If I am wrong, please let me know that, too.  I had been to my M.D. for some diagnostic tests.  I was out this morning and when I returned, the doc's assistant had called and left the information--including my test names and  results--on the answering device for my phone.  We have household help  and I am not the only family member who lives here.  No one else was in my house at the t ...

Questions About HIPAA Rules
Jun 15, 2012

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge in regard to HIPAA violations and whether certain rules apply only in certain circumstances.  I had a workers comp claim and had my IME closing exam in March.  There were problems - the doctor assumed that he knew it all, didn't take any history from me and then rushed me through the exam and closed my claim.  I wasn't happy with the way the exam was conducted, and then on reading my exam report I found a number of mistakes, so ...