A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Okay everyone. I went to college today - and this is what they say about MTs.

Posted: Mar 17, 2010

I spoke with a counselor/advisor who was extremely helpful.  They gave me a couple of tests, personality and skill tests to see what I want do in life. 

I scored pretty high on counseling and criminal justice and even showed medical transcription.  Here is what it says about being a medical transcriptionist in Oregon.

Wages

Entry
Median
Oregon Hourly $12.73 (1) $17.00
Monthly $2,206 (1) $2,946
Yearly $26,472 (1) $35,364
United States Hourly $13.02 $15.41 $18.55
Monthly $2,256 $2,671 $3,215
Yearly $27,090 $32,060 $38,590

(1) Wage estimate isn't available.

Employment and outlook

Employment
In Oregon, 1,587 medical transcriptionists work in this medium-sized occupation.

Nationally, 98,454 medical transcriptionists work in this medium-sized occupation. About 10 percent of them are self-employed.

Major employers:

• Hospitals
  • Doctor's offices
  • Medical transcription offices

Outlook
In Oregon, the number of jobs for medical transcriptionists is expected to grow much faster than the average for all occupations through the year 2016. Good job opportunities are expected. Nationally, the number of jobs for medical transcriptionists is expected to grow about as fast as the average for all occupations through the year 2016.

A growing and aging population will drive the demand for medical transcription services. Older people are more likely to receive medical tests and treatments that require documentation. In addition, the need to share electronic documentation between doctors, patients, and insurance agencies will also contribute to growth.

Some doctors send their transcription work to other countries, such as India and Pakistan. Others use speech recognition technology to transcribe their spoken words. Neither of these trends is likely to affect this occupation much. This is because experienced transcriptionists will need to review and revise the work done by these other sources.

Hospitals will continue to employ a large percentage of medical transcriptionists. However, job growth there will not be as fast as in other industries. The fastest growth will be at doctor's offices.

The table below provides information about the number of workers in this occupation in various regions. It also provides information about the expected growth rate and future job openings.

Location 2006 employment Growth rate through 2016 Annual openings

This occupation
All occupations

Oregon
Medium-sized
28.7%
14.1%
High
  Central Oregon and Columbia Gorge
Large
%
%

Not categorized
  Eastern Oregon
Medium-sized
%
%

Not categorized
  North and South Coast
Large
%
%

Not categorized
  Portland Metro
Medium-sized
%
%

Not categorized
  Southern Oregon
Large
%
%

Not categorized
  Willamette Valley
Medium-sized
%
%

Not categorized
United States
Medium-sized
13.5%
10.4%
Moderate

This is hilarious. - Where do they get this info?

[ In Reply To ..]
---"Some doctors send their transcription work to other countries, such as India and Pakistan. Others use speech recognition technology to transcribe their spoken words. Neither of these trends is likely to affect this occupation much."---

This is absolutely outdated information.

Hospitals are getting rid of MTs in droves.

Just google it.

If this information is from the US government site, that site is clearly behind the times.

I don't think our outlook to make DECENT money is very good in the USA. And every single hospital in my LARGE metropolitan area offshores.

I think that info needs updated.

Question -- if you are in Oregon, do you see all these jobs listed in the want ads? On the hospital sites?

Hmm. . . . .

Oregon jobs - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I e-mailed you privately about 2 available hospital jobs in Oregon. Yes, they are in the want ads and on the hospital sites, all a person has to do is look.

I didn't receive your email about Oregon jobs. - Maybe emailed to a different post?

[ In Reply To ..]
I would be interested in your email. Trying to figure out what to do. I have a couple in mind. I cannot believe I went to college years ago for MT and just had enough with decrease in pay and how we are being treated.

Thanks!
E-mail - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I sent you another one, hope you got it, check your spam folder.
Thank you! Received email. Had to check spam. - In Portland, OR area
[ In Reply To ..]
Greatly appreciate and thanks for taking time and sending the email and info.
Live in Oregon - AMD
[ In Reply To ..]
I would like an email about these hospital jobs too please. I am trying to get my foot in the door as I have experience with coding, but would do transcription. Anything but MQ
Is coding a good field to go into? Or should stay away. - Was thinking of getting into coding.
[ In Reply To ..]
Any info on coding would be helpful, Thanks!

And this little bit of info does not even mention EMR. - Way outdated information.

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow.

Not only are we being offshored out of our jobs, ASR is doing a job on our paychecks.

And EMR will cut a big chunk out of our jobs. I would say that college needs to look deeper into the information they give out. If that is from the US government site, then again, I don't trust the government site. They are outdated and just plain wrong.

Thanks everyone. - I just had to post this.

[ In Reply To ..]
So I went into college and ended up filling in my personality and what I like to do, etc. and list of 30 jobs came up. One of them was Medical Transcriptionist and I started laughing.

I told everyone the main reason I am going back to college was because my field/job is a dead end job. I had to look it up and this is what was posted. Also, it was done about 3-4 years ago which at that time, that is when they started to really outsource/offshore and started using ASR. My has our field changed quickly. EPIC was not in the picture or even heard of in SOME areas or probably the government. Also, remember a few years ago even the highest almighty great MQ said there was a huge need for good medical transcriptionists, yet there was a mass exodus of us leaving? MQ and other MTSO sure have fooled the government to think there is such a huge need of MT's. Yep, we had 10,000 when I was working with them and what, now down to around 2,800? or something like that. Unreal!

Reality check - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Medquist is not the only employer in the world. If you are as miserable as you seem to be, find an on-site job or do something else with your life.

I am, that is why I am going to school. - That is why I posted the above post.

[ In Reply To ..]
About Medical Transcriptionists. Been with this same company since 1988. Had enough for how I have been treated. Come on! No raise since 1999 and telling me I am too high on the totem pole? I told that to my good friend, a columnist for the Wall Street Journal. She was disgusted and to top it all? The person who gave me that raise was T.M. who signs those lovely MQ corporate emails we have been getting. Too high on the totem pole 11 years ago? Obviously MQ needs to adjust their wage scale and I should now be on the bottom of that totem pole 11 years later. DISGUSTING and down right downgrading!

Anyway, I am back at school and figuring out if I want to be an addiction counselor or Social and Human Service Assistant.

Saw the same thing - LucyK

[ In Reply To ..]
I have seen the same thing for Ohio. This is government information, though. And I never believe a thing the government tells me.

Similar Messages:

Started My First Day Of College :)
Sep 29, 2012

I just wanted to post that I completed my first week of college. The first day was scary, but by the second day I felt much more at ease. My first class happened to algebra, so wish me luck. I know that I am making the right decision, so I am hoping that I can start counting the days to when I can just give my notice. It is going to be tough, but it definitely is going to be worth it. ...

I've Just Been Accepted To College!!
Oct 22, 2013

After going back and forth for two years, I finally decided to apply for college and I was accepted, yay me!!  Actually, I already have my Associate's degree, so this isn't my first time in college, but I feel like I've taken a huge step in my life and I was so excited I just wanted to share with my fellow MTs!  Just an FYI, after researching an endless amount of colleges, I chose WGU majoring in Health Informatics and am even considering my MBA there as well because the ...

College Degree
Feb 17, 2015

I see many job ads for coders that specify a college degree is required.  I am in coding school currently but only have a GED.  What do you think chances are I can get a job with no college degree?  I currently work as a remote MT and have almost 20 years of continuous experience in that field and was hoping that would help me get a job.  I am not at all, however, interested in getting a college degree. ...

I'm Not Sure What College These Docs Went To
Jun 08, 2015

But I noticed when my son graduated from college, it was a mid range college in no way an ivy league school, that he spoke very intelligent, used correct grammar, and actually formed correct sentences. I made mention to him, that in listening to his friends talk, I was VERY impressed and happy they actually learned something in school..He said, "I don't see why, that's what they teach us in college, this isn't high school anymore mom." I'm just not hearing it out of these d ...

Is Ashworth College Reputable?
Jan 07, 2010

I recently signed up for Medical Billing and Medical Terminology classes through Ashworth College.  I would like to know if anyone out there is familar with Ashworth College, I've been told that there's a lot of schools out there that just want your money and I want to make sure if I'm making the right decision for me and my family. Thanks in advance for your help! ...

Welp, Im Going Back To College At Age 50!
May 20, 2010

I waited as long as I could, but my income has dropped by 30% at least, and I can't pay my bills...........so fortunately I just got awarded a Pell Grant (thanks to my low MT income), so Im going back to school! ...

Miller-Motte College
Jun 15, 2010

Does anyone have any experience with this college?  They just opened a new site in my town that will be doing healthcare only at first and have been thinking of doing this. ...

Community College Vs. M-Tec/Andrews
Feb 11, 2011

Is it better to go with the tried-and-true Andrews or M-tec as opposed to a local community college that offers MT courses? I was thinking it would be better to stick with the former, but was intrigued by the fact that the local junior college seems to be promising "internships". I'm not 100 percent sure yet, as the informational meeting isn't until the beginning of March, but wondered what the prevailing wisdom might be on the subject. Thanks in advance for any info. ...

Getting Out Of MTing And Going Back To College
Oct 13, 2011

Mting is no longer for me.  I'm 34, single mom, need a better career.  I can't seem to decide on which career path to take.  I want to get my bachelor's degree because it will make me feel like I have accomplished something, and I would like to have a degree and possibly get my master's someday.  I can't decide between healthcare information management and getting my RHIA, or something totally different and getting a BS in business-human resources man ...

Goodbye MT World, Hello College
Jun 25, 2012

After being an MT for 12 years and wanting to go back to college for the past 2 years, I have finally done it!  I will no longer be an MT as of July 1st, and I couldn't be happier!  I applied and was accepted to WGU and will be getting my BS in Health Informatics. This is a very unique program and my goal is to finish in a year and a half (I had credits transfer in which helps).  Anyone who is interested in going back to college and wants to work in health care with IT, check ...

I Have A College Degree Question
Aug 23, 2012

I can't stand doing MT anymore.  I applied and have received Pell grants, yay!  Now, I need to decide on my major.  I want to be in a career where I can help people.  I'm thinking social work or psychology.  But I keep seeing jobs where they say "BA in Human Services needed."  Wouldn't this just be social work?   ...

Community College Program
Jan 18, 2015

I would like opinions on taking a coding program at a community college, then being properly prepared to become a successful coder and getting certified. Cost is important to me, which makes this an attractive option. What is the consensus about this? Thanks for your comments. ...

College Of Legal Arts MT Program
Jan 09, 2010

Does anyone know anything about this school's Medical Transcription program? ...

The PLUS With AHIMA Is That You Can Get Credits Transferred To Your College
May 16, 2010

I think its like 15 dollars a credit but some of the AHIMA classes you can obtain credit for through your college and they will accept them.  I think its about 40 credits too. ...

Suggestions For Improvement Of The MT Program At My College
Sep 27, 2010

Based on what I've been reading on these blogs, I realized how little prepared the grads of the MT program from my college actually were. So I wrote a letter to the assistant director of the program, making suggestions on how they could improve the training they offer; things like exposing students to REAL dictation, rather than just CDs of actors reading scripts; exposure to ESL dictation; including a course in speech recognition editing; including a course in medically-oriented ...

Has Anyone Gone To Heald College For Coding Training?
Nov 02, 2010

I've been going back and forth regarding which school to go to.  I'd prefer to do online training but would still like to have an instructor that I could ask questions of, speak to on the phone, etc.  I live in California in the central valley, anyone who has attended Heald college for coding I would love to hear from them. ...

Is Anyone Familiar With Everett Community College?
Apr 04, 2012

Ive heard many opinions on coding training at Andrews, Career step and community colleges. I have just come across EverettCC and their coding course is completely online (scheduled,not self-paced)and taught by teachers who are certified medical coders. Im just curious if anyone here has attended or heard about this school. ...

Looking For A Good Online Coding College
Jul 17, 2012

After much research i had decided on taking coding classes through Andrew College. Unfortunately since they are not an acredited college Vocational Rehab will not help pay. Can anyone recommend a good acredited college or one that accepts FASA grants? Looking to take online courses or classes in Ft. Wayne, IN. ...

New Graduate Of Ashworth College's MT Program
Nov 06, 2012

I am a new graduate of Ashworth College's MT program. I am having much difficulty finding employment due to my lack of experience. Can anyone give me any suggestions on companies that hire New grads? ...

Just Got Our Brochure From Our Local Community College
Aug 22, 2013

While purusing the classes offered, looking for possibly a career change, lo and behold, no MT classes being offered any longer. Coding, yes.  CNA, yes. In home caregiver, yes. Nail tech, yes. .....  MT, no.  Thinking of real estate now as there is an upswing in that direction. ...

Pretty Sad When Your Kid In College Can Take 5 Minutes And Tell Me Why This Company Sucks
Mar 04, 2012

I tell him a little of what goes on here...and he says if they idiot factored in the cost of doing this, this and this instead of keeping people without work and bitching, the company would make far more money...Not gonna give his tips away, if they want them they can hire him, not that he would work for a company that is run so poorly.. ...

Future Coding Student...question About College
Jul 12, 2013

Ok, so I thought I had made up my mind on attending Andrews, but there is a certificate course offered by a local college.  This is not a community college but Kent State University.  Now I am wondering, should I try to go through their course to earn actual college credits that will be transferrable to a degree someday or go through Andrews where I know for sure they will prepare me for the coding certifications??  HELP!!! ...

MT Retraining Free Online College Courses
Sep 05, 2014

Here are a list of sites that offer free Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) college classes/coursework/tests online, some come with certificates of completion but you have to enroll by a deadline usually and once you do enroll you should treat it like a class you pay for.    coursera.com  Stanford,Yale edX.com openculture.com   Harvard and MIT  ocw.mit.edu  almost all of MITs course content is available online for free   Not all offer cer ...

Can I Transfer Credits From Andrews School To A Local College?
May 09, 2010

For 3800.00 I would think they should be accredited most definitely.  ...

Coding Programs - Santa Barbara City College
May 20, 2010

I just registered for Santa Barbara City College's HIT program online.  Has anyone else taken their program?  I really needed to find a school that was accredited because I qualify for FAFSA to help me pay for it.  I looked into Andrews and also AHIMA, but all were WAY too expensive and you can't receive financial aid.  If anyone can give me information on the Santa Barbara courses, if you've taken it through them, please do!  Thanks!  (I'm ...

I Applied For Financial Aid At My Local Community College Yesterday
Jun 22, 2012

I'm taking my first steps to get out of this field - I'm 48 years old, I've dedicated myself to Medquist/MModal for 16 years of my life and I am making less today than my 15-year-old son who just got his very first job.  In my lifetime, I never thought I would be 48 years old, on Food Stamps and barely making minimum wage in a field I gave nearly half my life to.  It is a complete insult. I've been going around and around in my head how to get out of this fiel ...

Does Rasmussen College Have A Good Reputation In The Medical Transcription Job World???
Mar 07, 2010

Hi everyone, I just graduated from Rasmussen online college with a 2 year degree in medical transcription back in September. I was able to land a brief 2 month job in November but the lady that hired me wasn't a patient trainer and let me go because I wasn't perfect right away and she was very busy as well, backed up in fact. My question is, does Rasmussen College have a good reputation in the medical transcription world? ...

Coding Schools--online Or Local Community College? Andrews Or M-TEC?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi - I am struggling with what to do, somebody please help! I have read that Andrews and M-TEC are the best schools online.  I am just concerned that I won't do well without hands on learning in a classroom?  I could really use some advice from some people who have done the coding courses through these places? Which is the best, and how does it work exactly?  Thanks ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

Are Timesheets Approved Today? Nothing From TSM On Monday Or Today. NM
Jan 01, 2014

xx ...