A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Formatting question, Procedure Note on a test - MT

Posted: Jan 08, 2012

My prospective employer's transcription test has a partial procedure note on it.  Should I add extra headings and fields that I am certain of (procedure name, physician's name) to make it a complete report or just skip that and transcribe what's here?

BTW, I am neither a student nor a newbie.

adTHANKSvance!

Since you say you are not a newbie or a student - then

[ In Reply To ..]
you should know that it is unethical to get help with tests. The prospective employer doesn't want to know what we know. They want to know what you know.

It's not unethical because I'm not asking - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
No, it's not unethical because I'm not asking how to spell any terms, etc.

The general rule, of course, is to transcribe verbatim on these tests. But this was an unusual situation so I thought I would elicit some other opinions. Whether you're having a bad day or are just a pill in your everyday life, you can take your attitude elsewhere because it's not wanted. :)

Test - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
MT: I just did a test at a hospital. They gave me a H&P and I looked at the BOS3 and tried to follow those guidelines. I wanted to make the test look neat and clean and I believe that is the best way to do.

To OP, do U think there are levels of cheating? Spelling help - worse than formatting help? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
"-
To OP - Not a cheater
[ In Reply To ..]
Once you compromise your ethics in small ways, it is easier to compromise them in larger ones.

MT and attitude - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
This has nothing to do with "attitude" and everything to do with cheating. If something is a test, it is meant to test the person taking the test or making the application--du-h!
Du-h? - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Do you always go around saying "du-h" like that? People may draw conclusions about your intellect.
MT - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
Obviously you know nothing of irony and jest.

What do YOU think you should do? I'd go with that. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

ditto - only way you will learn

[ In Reply To ..]
They are testing you...

I would... - PassingThru

[ In Reply To ..]
I would act as though you were typing it on the job.

Just ignore the snits on here jumping your case. I have asked similar questions while testing. Testing ALWAYS makes me a nervous wreck, no matter how easy the content. Good luck!

agree; we are here to help our cohorts - passing thru too

[ In Reply To ..]
You were kind and appropriate to offer an answer to the question. I haven't tested with a company for a very, very long time. I certainly hope a fellow professional would give me a tip on the trends.

Is that what you would say to your child if she helped - who was taking a test? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
:)
If she helped a friend - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
;)
answer - ...
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think you understand the original post.

I am not in favor of people giving test answers to others. I AM in favor of assisting colleagues and peers who have questions about form, policy, etc.

If my child had been accepted to a college, and her friend asked advice about the application process, I would expect and encourage my child to share any helpful information. This is not the same as helping someone cheat, for goodness sake.
Formatting and ability to make decisions are part of the testing process - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
Often tests include finding out how the applicant will handle situations that are unclear or have several options. A test is a test is a test. It truly is not a group project.
It is cheating. MTSO want to know what you know & that - includes how you would format a job. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Taking a test is not same as application process. Asking - for help on a test is cheating, pure and simple.nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I just absolutely positively give up - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Might as well. You will never justify cheating. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Definitely give up on the idea of cheating, but finish the test if you can - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
You can finish the test without cheating. Just use your own knowledge and do your best.
That is a SUPERB analogy. - Angie
[ In Reply To ..]
You just astutely drew a parallel between the OP's question and someone asking for tips on maneuvering the college application process.

Well done!
More sarcasm from the sanctimonious... - totally over the top
[ In Reply To ..]
Again. Complete and total failure to comprehend. Do you REALLY think that turning to a friend and asking them tips about a process is MANEUVERING? You, my dear, are going too far.

Yes, you do have total failure to comprehend. - Angie
[ In Reply To ..]
Reread what I wrote. The word "maneuvering" was used in reference to the college application process.

"Again. Complete and total failure to comprehend."

Yes, you absolutely are completely lacking in comprehension. But at least you recognize that you have a problem, which is of course the first step.
apologies to you - I misunderstood - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
maybe I misunderstood - was that sincere or sarcastic
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, it's becoming hard to tell. My apologies if I misunderstood.
100% sincere. - Angie
[ In Reply To ..]
No, I was being sincere. I can understand why you weren't sure given all the nastiness on here.

There is a HUGE difference between clarifying RULES and PROCEDURES and CHEATING. If this were an in-office situation, and the supervisor sat you down and gave you a transcription test, and an item (e.g., formatting) was not covered in the instructions, what would you do? Take a guess and possibly get it wrong? Or ask her? You would ASK HER, of course, about the formatting. According to the haughty self-righteous twits on here, that would be considered "CHEATING."
thanks, Angie - again, my apologies
[ In Reply To ..]
So sorry I misunderstood. Thanks for your kind response.
NP. Thank you for having integrity. - Angie
[ In Reply To ..]
How refreshing to encounter someone online who actually admits they misunderstood something! Most people just slither away, never to be seen again.

Have a great evening! :)

Angie
Are you kidding. World of difference between asking instructor - to clarify and asking another MT SM
[ In Reply To ..]
what they would do. Did you ever think it was maybe a fuzzy issue on purpose, so they could see how one would handle it? This is a test, not an application process. A test, to measure how much you know, including about formatting. Not meant to measure what the consensus in a group is.
In line with 100% post, OP should have emailed MTSO - giving the test, not ask other MTs. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
"Should have" and *assumptions. - Angie
[ In Reply To ..]
There's an old saying about what making assumptions makes out of folks....

We DO NOT KNOW the details of this testing arrangement. For all we know, this is some standardized computerized test. It's entirely possible that the OP can't e-mail the MTSO. OTOH, maybe she could. Again, WE DO NOT KNOW.

One day -- when you're older and wiser -- you'll learn to ASK QUESTIONS to GATHER MORE DATA BEFORE issuing judgmental "She should have..." statements based on incomplete info. You are making assumptions, which just makes a you-know-what out of you.
On an employment test, you have two honest choices - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
1) Check the instructions and/or ask the MTSO to clarify.

2) Use your own judgement if you are unable to ask for clarification.

How you solve problems is often part of the test. Cheating isn't the right answer.
Not quite - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
It is not even an analogy. What would be analogical here is if the original poster had asked a question about an employment application NOT an employment test. Therefore, a college application has no comparison here at all. In fact, the poster you are replying to said they would not want their child to help a schoolmate with an exam which is exactly what is being done here - helping someone on an exam. I don't think you would quite so self-righteously smug about this if you were competing with the original poster for the same job position.
She's not asking for help with the application, she's asking for help with the test. Ther - tmt
[ In Reply To ..]
You're equating, for example, taking the PSAT or SAT or ACT with applying for college. They're not the same thing.

"Type it as if you were on the job" is giving away STATE SECRETS. - TheyHaveBlownThisWayOutofProportion

[ In Reply To ..]
What's really telling is the ANSWER to the question. The poster who answered the question merely stated, "Type it as if you were on the job." That isn't even specific, yet it answered the question.

And all you histrionic people have filled up an entire page with your moral indigation. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

According to some here, you are the Antichrist. - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You should NEVER say ANYTHING that may "help a candidate" because if you then that's CHEATING.

"Act as though you were typing it on the job" is TOO SPECIFIC: you just TOLD HER HOW TO TRANSCRIBE IT!!

God forbid you give someone encouragement, as you have done. You shouldn't do that either! If someone is being tested, DO NOT talk with them or interact with them in ANY way. You may be leaking top-security-clearance secrets to them that will have international implications.

Antichrist - Jolly MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Get a grip. This person asked for our opinion, no the answer to a question, etc. The reply, "Act as thoug you were typing on the job" is a fair answer because if the original person KNOWS what should be done on a job, she will proceed KNOWING what to do. The person didn't tell her what to do. I wish her well with her test.

MT - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Honey, calm down. Take a chill pill, 'kay? My goodness, such histrionics.

Cant help but wonder. If this MT cant uphold accuracy%, - as it seems she cant figure out SM

[ In Reply To ..]
formatting, if she were to come here and post about how unfair MTSO is to expect her to know how to do her job, how many of you would agree and sympathize?

How does not being student or newbie make it okay to - cheat on a test? IMO, makes it worse. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

All of a sudden we are worried about protecting an MTSO? Give her a break. - Cheating? Please....

[ In Reply To ..]
Cheating on a test...really???? What she is describing here involves no terms, spelling, or even any text for that matter. And we even have a critic here who thinks she can question her accuracy percentage??? Please!!!! You guys get over yourselves. Find another way to protect the MTSOs if you feel the needs, but this is not it.

To MT: IMO, you said this was a "partial procedure note." Therefore, I do not believe the report/note would be complete no matter what you did to it, so I guess I would not add things that are not there meaning a heading/description, etc., but I would see no problem with the physician's signature if you are certain. Is it possible to add a note that the report is partial/incomplete, as you would do on any other if you were doing a real report? That's my big fat secret answer for you that should never be revealed because you are taking a test, and this is such cheating - LOL :)

Tests are for the applicant to take, not a group project - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I think she's already ruined her chances with this job - Just sayin

[ In Reply To ..]
Word gets around.

Has nil to do with MTSO. Worried about being fair, moral, - and not codoning cheating. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I have never seen so much lack of comprehension in one place - other poster

[ In Reply To ..]
The negative responses to this post exemplify what I consider to be a typical and endemic feature of the mindset of so many MTs today - the complete and total lack of comprehension being the least of the problems.

I can't help but think of that movie where Goldie Hawn calls her kids' schoolteacher an "anal retentive Hun".

Agree, how can so many not understand what cheating - is. She is taking a TEST people. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

please READ the post to which you are responding - for goodness sake

[ In Reply To ..]
I did. Sarcasm. Get it? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
You can be as sarcastic as you like, but tests are to see what the applicant can do - Not a team sport
[ In Reply To ..]
If you learned nothing else today, I hope you learned that.
Got mixed-up here somehow. I do agree with you. - Testing no a group activity. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

and you just hijacked the meaning of the post with a bogus response - I call that cheating, too

[ In Reply To ..]

If it's unimportant and doesn't matter, use your judgement; if it does matter - Never ask for help on a test

[ In Reply To ..]
If it's something unimportant and doesn't matter, just put anything you want. Use your own judgement.

If it's a part of the test, don't ask for help.

It's not just a test; it's a matter of ethics - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

The "moral indigation" here is HILARIOUS! NM - HalfAPageofItLOL

[ In Reply To ..]
NM
If you'll notice... - Angie
[ In Reply To ..]
They LOVE pileons around here. EVERYONE has to chime in, even though what they're posting has already been said many times before by countless other posters. It makes them feel smug and "superior." They are pathetic.
Like what you're doing with your post? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Nobody but I mentioned pileons. - Angie
[ In Reply To ..]
My post isn't repeating what others have already posted, ergo it's not part of the pileon.

You need to learn how to comprehend what you read.
low rent - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
The truth is, it IS superior to choose honesty and integrity - In Favor of Superiority
[ In Reply To ..]
It is what it is, superior.
Good Grief! - IMO
[ In Reply To ..]
This is the same as the OP asking, "Should I test with my socks off or socks on?" Honey, you just can't ask us, it would be cheating. It's a test you know, and that would brand you immoral. For goodness sakes people.
Truly - ...
[ In Reply To ..]
The righteous rage elicited by this post is insipid and borders on abusive. It cracks me up that these folks cannot parse the difference between assistance and cheating, and seem to derive some sense of integrity from their blamefulness.
Assistance on a test is cheating; no wonder so many of you are doing poorly on the job - Common Sense
[ In Reply To ..]
Where is the common sense? Getting assistance on an employment test is cheating. If you don't understand that, you have a rough future ahead of you.
you do not know anyone here enough to insult their integrity. - we were have a nice discussion until now
[ In Reply To ..]
x
(!) - nice (!)
[ In Reply To ..]
This thread tells us all we need to know about anyone's - integrity. If you are willing to cheat..... SM
[ In Reply To ..]
Your integrity has taken a major hit.
what this thread tell me - ...
[ In Reply To ..]
This thread tells me that there are lots of people out there who lack critical thinking skills.

I am NOT willing to cheat on anything. I don't even like to cheat posters out of a good discussion by blindsiding them with fruitless judgments.
On a test, IS there a difference between assistance and - cheating? nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I know. LOL I just don't understand some of - these responses SM
[ In Reply To ..]
I am trying to figure out what is going on psychologically with the moral outrage over this silliness. I am leaning towards it having something to do with the state of the MT industry and how some people are feeling so out of control of their own financial life, resulting in lack of self esteem. I have seen this in other situations where people get so outraged over something so small because they cannot do anything about the legitimate outrage they feel about other situations. JMO of course. Please don't get all "outraged" about my post, okay? :)
well said - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
How is cheating on an employment test "something - so small"? That is outrageous, JMO. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

If you're not sure what to do, YOU need to make a decision. - Maggie May

[ In Reply To ..]
It doesn't matter if it's spelling or grammar or formatting. You need to either contact the person who gave you the test to ask what to do, or make a decision yourself as to what to do, and do it. It doesn't matter what anyone here thinks you should do, we're not the ones taking the TEST.

Whom are you talking to? LOL - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you responding to the poster you replied to?

LOL

ACT, SAT, MCAT, LSAT - Mother

[ In Reply To ..]
ALL of the companies who offer study courses for the ACT, SAT, MCAT, LAST, real estate license exams, etc. should be shut down or sued! That's because -- according to you -- it's "helping on a test" so is CHEATING.

ALL the parents who purchase these for their children should be ashamed of themselves! After all, that's "asking for help with a test" so is CHEATING, according to you.

excellent point - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Wrong! Those are Test Preparation Courses - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Getting a little silly here? Those are Test Preparation courses to prepare for a test, not the test itself. Don't be silly.
The OP is preparing for a test - - not asking about the test itself
[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps in ten years you will be trying to become metriculated in a particular career. You turn to a colleague to ask what the latest trends are, and she turns away indignantly. I can't believe the contempt I am reading in these posts. Shame on you all.
Wrong. She is taking the test. Did you read the entire - thread? I think not. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
:)

Formatting question - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, friend, WE are not being tested; YOU are. You need to figure it out for yourself. Good luck.

And ANOTHER thing.. - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
This is truly PRICELESS! All you folks getting all upset.

Yet, EVERY SINGLE DAY, you are answering questions BLINDLY about medical terms ("sounds like ______"), and you have NO IDEA whom you are giving that info to. THEY COULD BE APPLICANTS TAKING TESTS! And they aren't going to TELL YOU THAT!! So you are probably AIDING AND ABETTING those cheaters (that most definitely *IS* cheating!) on a REGULAR BASIS.

This poster was honest, and most of the posters here jumped her case and then continued on and on and on about it!

Step back and look at this ENTIRE PAGE of posts objectively, especially in light of the above point about the "Word Help" board, and there is nothing do to but LAUGH at your IDIOCY.

Don't you find it a little odd how no one has a - problem with people asking

[ In Reply To ..]
questions that a lot of people could answer that are not even medical transcriptionists. Real medical charts, not fake tests!!! Some of the questions I would feel a lot better knowing they are newbies testing. Should there even be a word help board, or should that be things we should know as it is our jobs? I think it is ridiculous people consider formatting questions cheating. Asking a personal opinion of whether or not they would add the doctor's name or not, cheating, really?

BTW, I have no problem with the word help board, and if I decide I want to answer someone I will and if I don't I won't. I'm not nasty about it, just as I wouldn't have been to this poster either.

If you are taking a test, asking another anything, is - cheating. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

This scenario wouldnt be our misdeed. It would be the - trickery of the one asking. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

MT - re idiocy - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It takes one to know one.

Am I the only one who would love to - see this conversation

[ In Reply To ..]
Playing out in real life?

Like at a neighborhood BBQ or PTA meeting!

It's my experience that... - tmt

[ In Reply To ..]
...employers are just wanting to make sure you know what you say you know.

I've worked locally for hospitals and clinics and nationally for MTSOs, and they all just want to see how I handle formatting situations, rewording situations, inaudible dictation situations, etc., to make sure my experience is what they're looking for.

If you think the headings should be added, based on your experience, then add them. If you think you should transcribe the report verbatim, then do that.

Your experience should be helping you answer your question. What have your other employers required in this situation? What did you learn in school? What does the BOS tell you?

I'm not trying to be catty, here. My reply to your post is sincere.

If you were the boss - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Who would you hire?

The MT who followed directions and relied on her own knowledge and did the test all by herself like a grown up

OR

The MT who had help on the test?

I know who I would select.

In addition, if you also applied for this job, how would you feel if you found out the person who got hired over you had help on the TEST?

If we go by your logic.... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If a testee is asking the MTSO for guidance on what they should do, i.e. to format or not to format, based on all of these overreactions to the OP's question, that would be cheating. According to everything I've read (the entire thread), asking anyone, yes (MTSO) fits into anyone, what they would prefer would be cheating. You guys are way out there.

Secondly, how in the world would you ever know if the person who got hired over you had help? How? Would that also mean they got help by asking the MTSO how they would like it, formatted or unformatted?

I say walk the grey line. Ask as many things as you can. If you get hired and you're bluffing, you and the MTSO will find out soon enough if you can't pull it off. As a person with my own clients and with a couple of overflow people, more power to them if they can ask for and receive the knowledge to help them get a job! I would absolutely hire someone who asked instead of the person who has to be told how to do something. The OP didn't say she was going to apply the answer given. Maybe she wanted an array of things to think about and then make a decision. I don't blame the OP one bit for asking. There are far too many rules and regs for grammar and report preparation. She's a smart girl for asking. Maybe, just maybe, you'll help out a fellow human being better their life by getting a job by giving her an opinion on what she should do. She doesn't have to take the answer and apply it.

I have never in my life seen adults act and behave as I do on this board. You cannot project your personal morality onto others. I wouldn't do it to you - I would accept you as you are, whether I agree or not. I don't see it as cheating, but you do. Agree to disagree. All I see here day after day is venom and drama on this board constantly. I guarantee you nasty posters are not like that on the job or you would never have a job - so why do it here? Ahh, because it's anonymous.

OP, I would take the test verbatim and put somewhere at the top in bold and highlighted if you can, "Was not sure how to format this, so I transcribed it verbatim." Simple and it CYA.

a word to the "wise" - another poster

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been an MT for over 20 years. I have been in medical communications/ education for greater than 30 years. I learn rapidly.

I really, really would hope that with my experience and know-how, a company would consider me -- even if I didn't happen to know, off the top of my head, the latest trends in transcription.

I would certainly like - and expect - to be able to turn to my colleagues to ask about the prevalent trends and preferences in testing and style.

This does not make me a cheater, and I think it would be a shame for a company to decline my services because I didn't know the secret handshake.

like - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

As someone who might be evaluating your test - Looking for Independent Workers with Critical Thin

[ In Reply To ..]
I will be looking at your test to see how you handled certain situations and problems included in the test for that purpose. It isn't always as important that you have the perfect answer, but I want to evaluate your critical thinking skills.

If I came to a message board like this and saw that you were having others do your thinking for you, I wouldn't think you were a bad person. I just would know that you are not the person I want for that job. I want someone who can think for themselves and work independently.

Again, that doesn't make you a bad person. You wouldn't have done some horrible, awful thing. I just would prefer to hire someone who was able to handle it using critical thinking skills.

This is a technical issue, not someting anyone could know - Not Cheating

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not know of any work situation or MT standard that would expect you to know what to do with A PIECE of a note. It therefore can't be cheating.

Either ask the MTSO what to do or do what ypu feel will be best and provide a note of explanation. "I was not sure if you expected me to add headings to this partial note, so I included them to be on the safe side."

I do not know how you would know to ask about this situation before taking the test, either.

The headings will probably be fine, but if the MTSO wants to dock you for it,I would say they are unreasonable and that you wouldn't want to work for them anyway.

Disagree. It is a problem solving issue for applicant - alone to decide. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Ortho Note - S/l Peer Formance Impingement Test
Jan 15, 2010

thanks. ...

Procedure Report For Nuclear Medicine Procedure, And After All Is Set To Go, PROCEDURE IS ABORTED.
Oct 08, 2010

PROCEDURE PERFORMED:  Brachytherapy implant. Now, where does "PROCEDURE ABORTED" go, so patient isnt charged for it, etc, and no errors are made? And, should it be all caps? In name of procedure or as a separate "Please Note:" Its dictated as name of procedure but Dr. is indecisive and stutters dictation ambiguously. ...

Ortho Note - S/l "Stewart" Test But Cannot Find Spelling
Mar 05, 2010

Neurologic examination of his lower extremities is fully intact, including motor, sensory, and deep tendon reflexes.  Straight leg raising tests are negative.  s/l "Stewart" test is positive bilaterally.    thanks for any help! ...

Procedure Of Ankle Sx,, S/l Brostin, Berostin, Perostin Procedure
Oct 24, 2009

I have a patient who had a px of her ankle. The doctor did not give any hx of injury or any symptoms, just stated that she had a left ankle arthroscopy and what sounds like a Brostin procedure of her ankle? Anyone ever hear of this? Thank you so much in advance! Forgive my giddiness today but I havent' had a lot of sleep in the past several days and I do get giddy with little sleep. For some reason, one of my mom's most famous sayings just came to mind: "From the day of your ...

Need Help With Formatting
Dec 30, 2009

I did something and now I only have a half space between sentences - how can I get this back to normal??? ...

Help Please! (Formatting)
Apr 24, 2012

I am having trouble trying to figure out when, and when no to make a list, or heading.   First, I know the headings, in the beginning, are ALL CAPS, like FAMILY HISTORY, MOTOR, REFLEXES, but then, the Neurologist begins listing (on the independent medical evaluation, under "Record Summary/Provider") tons and tons of dates like: 9/17/2010 PT.  Dr. So and So.  Same template.   Chiropractic Assessment:  Palpation L2, L3, L5, L5 and S1, taut and tender MS fibers and fixat ...

Formatting For VR-
Jul 18, 2014

to format reports on VR, generally basic 4, every report?  I get so sick and tired of not only fixing the stupid words but since there is no training by physicians, every report has to be formatted to meet specs.  Just curious.  ...

Disk Formatting
Oct 17, 2011

I got a new computer.  I do work for a local doc the old fashioned way (tapes) and would like to save his work on disks (used 3.5 on old computer).  I tried to format the disk and things were going well until the last few seconds when a window popped up saying format could not be completed, but no reason why.  I have tried several times since and the same thing happens.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?  I am using CD-RW disks.  Thanks. ...

Help With Formatting Paragraph In VR
Dec 22, 2011

Okay I work in Dictaphone VR.  The latest version.  I have Word 2007.  In VR, the physical exam and its subheadings are all double spaced.  Anyway to highlight the paragraph and make it single spaced?  I usually just use arrows and delete about 7 times a row to tidy it up, but I was hoping I could highlight and do a few keystrokes and be done.   Thank you in advance for your help! It is double spaced like this:   PHYSICAL EXAMINATION: VITAL SIGNS: Blood pr ...

Formatting # Range In P.o.
Mar 23, 2012

When the doctor dictates a range for p.o., for instance "1/2 to 1 p.o.," do we write it as 0.5 to 1 or 1/2 to 1? Thank you for the help. ...

Formatting Woes
Aug 20, 2012

I work for TDD, and always get confused about their formatting.  Can someone tell me if we are to transcribe their consults in paragraph form or not?  TY ...

Formatting Abruptly Changed
Feb 03, 2010

There probably have been answers to my question out here before, but does anyone know what causes the formatting in an EditScript document of which I am either editing or transcribing?  It tabs, bolds, changes font sizes, and messes up the spacing between lines.....things I did not manually do myself.  Is there something I should be changing on my RTF? Or is it something else?  Seems like I may have seen something about that, but I can't find it in my manual (which doesn ...

Diagnosis Formatting Issue
May 24, 2010

I am now totally confused.  I've always been told the rule of thumb is that if there IS no #2, then there is no #1 to create a list.  It should simply be Diagnosis: yada I have a dictator that for some unknown reason kept dictating  Diagnosis: 1. UTI:     A) Resolved after antibiotics.  No number #2 so i just did not even number this, but I got it back QA'd , am I losing it or have been doing this wrong all along? Thanks much for the input. ...

Formatting Question In Word2003 With XP
Jun 13, 2010

I just recently switched to Word2003 and am having issues with formatting.  I tried everything I can think of but color me DUHHHH because it is not working. I have to number impressions.  I would like to somehow set ALL documents for this to line up the same way and I must be missing something because I have to do this each document. I went to numbers/bulletting and even made it custome, but again, each document has to have it redone.  When you are doing 50, it is time consuming ...

Formatting For Consultation Report
Oct 20, 2010

On a consultation report, under the heading "past medical history" is there a specific order of sub headings according to the AHDI standards? ...

Help With Formatting MS Word 2007
Oct 14, 2011

Hello, When typing p.r.n. with my newly installed MS Word program, it automatically types p.  R.  n.  Does anyone know the change I need to make in the program to correct this?   Thanks in advance. ...

BOS3 Formatting Question
Jan 07, 2012

I'm an experienced MT, not a newbie straight out of school.  If this belongs on the "word" board, then I apologize in advance (I wasn't sure where to post it). I am testing for a company that uses BOS3 (which I despise) and that is counted in the grading.  In the physical exam section, the dictator gave a few headings (which of course I inserted) but not all.  According to BOS3, inserting undictated headings is optional.  Some sections begin as sentences (e.g., "He ...

Formatting Question For DQS7.1
Sep 17, 2012

Just starting DQS7.1 today and wondering about spacing between paragraphs.  In ASR, when the dictator says next paragraph, it goes to the next line.  Is this correct, or do I need to insert a hard return to make a like between the paragraphs?  Anybody know?  Don't want to mess up the formatting.  ...

Psychiatric AXIS I Formatting
May 31, 2013

Greetings, I recently got a gig for Psychiatric clinic and I am a little confused as to the accepted formatting for DSM diagnoses under AXIS I...  Here is what I have been doing, and it's different from examples I've seen online... I'm thinking I learned my current style from either CareerStep or working for Nuance; however, I'm not sure...  My clinic doesn't really have any concrete formatting guidelines, but I want to be using best practices nonetheless. &nbs ...

Fluency Formatting Problem.
Jul 06, 2014

Every once in a while I get the problem where the margins seem to have disappeared in that the output no longer stays in the window and I have to scroll horizontally to read the text. How do I get it back to normal? TIA ...

Formatting Issue Regarding Signs, Tests, Etc.
Sep 03, 2010

When a doc dictates lets say "negative Kernig" versus stating "negative Kernig sign" will I transcribe it as "negative Kernigs" or "negative Kernig's" ...

Quick Word/formatting Help, Needed.
Dec 21, 2010

Doctor dictates:  Has a 130-year pack-year history.  and I'm not certain of how to correctly format it. THANKS! ...

Anybody Use SH To Insert Dates? Need Help With Formatting Commands
Jul 10, 2013

I have a few SH entries to insert dates - for example, ydl inserts yesterday's date using the long format (July 9, 2013).  I have one little problem though and can't seem to figure it out.     When I use the "%e" parameter, I get "July  9, 2013" with the extra space between the month and the day.  Once the days roll over to double digits this is not a problem.  If I use "%d" then I get a leading zero.  I want to be able to insert the date with a sin ...

I Have Spent The Entire Night Formatting Documents.
Apr 26, 2013

It really hurts the line count bad. So far, I have had a lot of documents that require quite a bit of formatting - H&Ps, consults and ER reports from several facilities with each having different requirements and everyone wanting the ROS and PE different. Also, lack of punctation is hurting a lot too. I can't wait until I get out of here. Just 8 more months and counting! ...

Emdat Inscribe Help - Formatting/Editing Toolbar Gone
Aug 17, 2014

Hi, Just wondering if anyone else has come across a problem in Inscrie Auto Text, where the formatting/editing toolbar is not visible.  I have logged a couple of jobs and the response on fixing it was subpar. I was told I could use Ctrl + B for bold etc, which didn't really help with all the other editing/formatting needs I have to create an auto text.   Hoping someone else has had the same problem and may have a solution! Thanks in advance,  Charlie  ...

Test S/l Mal-blees Test - Left Elbow Lateral Epicondylitis
Jan 18, 2012

x ...

Is Anyone Here An RHIT? Wondering How Difficult The Test Is Compared To CCS Test
Jul 10, 2012

nm ...

Gyno Test - S/l Wisp Test? I Think I'm Spent!
Jan 05, 2010

.. ...

Knee Test, Sounds Like "Simon's First Test"
May 06, 2015

Doc is doing a knee exam for large meniscal tear and bone-on-bone medial compartment OA.  He says what sounds like "Simons first test" caused grade 4 posterolateral tenderness. Any ideas? Thanks, Andrea ...

T&A Procedure
Sep 18, 2010

Anyone heard of an Eve forceps?  Can't seem to find it anywhere.  I find EVE endoscope, but nothing for Eve forceps.  Any help is greatly appreciated...Thanks ...