A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Psychiatric AXIS I formatting - Sam

Posted: May 31, 2013

Greetings, I recently got a gig for Psychiatric clinic and I am a little confused as to the accepted formatting for DSM diagnoses under AXIS I...  Here is what I have been doing, and it's different from examples I've seen online... I'm thinking I learned my current style from either CareerStep or working for Nuance; however, I'm not sure...  My clinic doesn't really have any concrete formatting guidelines, but I want to be using best practices nonetheless.  

DIAGNOSIS:

AXIS I

1.   Major depressive disorder:  NOS, recurrent.  

2.  ADHD:  Combined type.

3.  Rule out- Anxiety disorder:  NOS.

AXIS II:  Blah Blah Blah.

Examples I've seen online are like this-

"AXIS I:  Major depressive disorder, NOS, recurrent.", using commas instead of a colon.  This seems gramatically incorrect to me.  A colon seems proper as "NOS" and "recurrent" further describe "Major depressive disorder".

Anyone who is actively working as a Psych MT who could give me a hand would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

-Sam

Axis I - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
commas are ok for each diagnosis under Axis I if ok with your client, I have had doctors who wanted them numbered as you first showed.

Here is what I would put if numbered not requested:
AXIS I: Major depressive disorder, not otherwise specified, recurrent; attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, combined type; rule out anxiety disorder, not otherwise specified.

My account wants abbreviations spelled out and doesn't care about numbering under Axis I. HTH.

Been a psych MT for a long time... - ZvilleMT

[ In Reply To ..]
and it seems every doc or clinic likes their Axes differently, but I've always used a comma in between things like major depressive disorder, NOS, recurrent rather than a colon. I've also always been told not to use abbreviations in the Axes, so NOS is always typed out fully, as well as diagnoses like ADHD. This is also for Axis III for medical diagnoses like COPD.

What I've done when I've gotten a new account is ask for a copy of a report, just to see how they've had it done - that eliminates any questions or problems you might run into.

Hope this helps :)

AXIS I: or Axis I: - Obi Wan

[ In Reply To ..]
It can vary depending on the client. If the client has no formatting preference. it is acceptable to use the format below with a colon after the Roman numeral and commas.

AXIS I: Blah, blahâ€Â¦
AXIS II: Blah, blahâ€Â¦
AXIS III: Blah, blahâ€Â¦
AXIS IV: Blah, blahâ€Â¦
AXIS V: Blah, blah

I cannot recall ever seeing it transcribed without a colon after the Roman numeral, even when using the numbering format.

AXIS I: Blah, blah, blah.
AXIS II:
1. Blah, blah.
2. Blah, blah.

I have also seen it transcribed with the AXIS in mixed case, but I only transcribe it that way if it is a client preference.

Axis I: Blah, blah, blah.
Axis II: Blah, blah.

I hope this helps.

I do it like Obi Wan. I also use heading - DIAGNOSES (plural) nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Correct Format For Typing The Axis I Thru Axis V Diagnoses Part Of An Evaluation
Oct 30, 2009

Can someone tell me the correct way to type the Axis I through Axis V diagnoses part of an eval/progress note?  I need to know the spacing, tabbing and punctuation.  For example: Axis I:     315.00       Reading disorder Axis II:    V71.09       No diagnosis on Axis III:                 Axis IV: &nbs ...

Axis V
Mar 04, 2013

Under the diagnosis heading, in Axis V: GAF 58 (s/l atron durations). Does anyone know what he could be saying? ...

Axis III Diagnosis
Nov 13, 2009

Axis III diagnosis, sounds like: History of left "corioma" of uncertain clinical significance.   any help is appreciated. ...

Axis Or Axes
Mar 08, 2011

I cannot find anything to tell me whether it is axis or axes.  I believe its axis, but just not sure.  The sentence reads. The corneal limbus was marked for 35 degrees superiorly and inferiorly along the 075-degree axis.   ...

Axis Or Access?
May 06, 2012

I'm typing an op report for a shoulder mass excision, and I'm not sure which word the doc is saying... The planned oblique skin incision along the longitudinal axis (or access?) of the mass was sterilely infiltrated with 1% Carbocaine solution and the skin incision made. I'm assuming axis, but not 100% confident. Thanks! ...

Axis Or Excess?
Aug 24, 2012

multiple myeloma with high-risk cytogenetics (_____ 1q25). ...

Anyone See The Ad For The Psychiatric
Oct 31, 2012

I have everything required except WordPerfect software.  Would WP be compatible or cause problems if you have other software/platforms on your computer?  I would think not, but things happen.  Is this sofware even available anymore?  Also wondering how the files would be uploaded back to facility.  TIA ...

On EKG, He Gives Axis Measurement In Degrees, Then
Aug 04, 2010

says, "eighteen slash ten slash three four," and I am not sure how to transcribe the last part.  I am a long-time transcriptionist but have never heard the measurements given that way, so any help from you cardiology gurus would be much appreciated.  Thanks. ...

Sparing Of The Visual Axis
Feb 23, 2011

It sounds like the doc is saying "There is symphony sparing of the visual axis" Any suggestions or is this correct? ...

Axis Versus Access
Apr 27, 2011

"The resected surfaces are coapted, and 0 degree mechanical axis has been achieved."    This is a knee replacement, and he says this twice. Do you think he is saying axis or access?  thanks! ...

Writing Axis Numbers
Dec 05, 2011

is  it six o'clock axis or 6 o'clock axis and then what is the correct way of 6:30 o'clock axis or six-thirty o'clock axis or is it 6:30 axis or six-thirty axis?????  Whew!!! ...

Psychiatric Exam
Aug 05, 2010

I have never run across this.  Any ideas?  Thank you.   He is concrete in his thinking, is goal-directed, but many of his goals are irrational, based on his history.  ORIENTATIONAL ABILITY??  : His memory appears intact.  ...

Psychiatric Word Help Please
Jun 19, 2011

Word sounds like "Oh-jen-ing" Doctor dictates:  "He had a manic psychotic break with auditory hallucinations and (s/l) oh-jen-ing in the head. " Thank you very much! ...

Psychiatric Disorder S/l Nof
Nov 09, 2010

Hi, In the list of discharge diagnoses the doc says "Psychiatric disorder s/l EN-OH-EFF or maybe IN-O-EFF." Does anyone know what this is? thanks in advance. ...

Re Psychiatric MT Job Posting
Feb 23, 2011

Can somebody explain to me how to access this site to take their test?Ftps://ftp.psychtrans.net. ...

Psychiatric Work Help, Please
Jul 22, 2011

s/o "middle kingdom."  Doctor dictates:  "The patient is very basal ganglia driven and middle kingdom driven."  Thank you - I've looked in all my books and googled and can't find anything for "middle kingdom" driven. ...

Psychiatric Drug
Apr 06, 2012

s/l pray do sin ...

Psychiatric Word Help, Please
May 14, 2013

Doctor dictates for the patient to "use the *relavan* technique to shift cognitive frame."   (It almost sounds like "roll-a-van."). Your help is much appreciated.  Thank you! ...

Help With Psychiatric Test Name
Mar 20, 2014

I believe the words I need help with (which sound like "Crispy Slay") are the name of a test. The doctor dictates the following:  "It might be interesting to secure psychometrics and interesting to do an ASD workup, but at a bare minimum an IQ and achievement to see if there is a pattern on the scores.  "Crispy Slay" was very mild."   Thank you very much for your help! ...

Psychiatric Diagnosis
Mar 25, 2015

9-year-old male  with aggression, impulsivity and hyperactivity. Axis I - ADHD, combined type and s/l BMDD.  (Need to expand BMDD.) ...

Need Help With Formatting
Dec 30, 2009

I did something and now I only have a half space between sentences - how can I get this back to normal??? ...

Help Please! (Formatting)
Apr 24, 2012

I am having trouble trying to figure out when, and when no to make a list, or heading.   First, I know the headings, in the beginning, are ALL CAPS, like FAMILY HISTORY, MOTOR, REFLEXES, but then, the Neurologist begins listing (on the independent medical evaluation, under "Record Summary/Provider") tons and tons of dates like: 9/17/2010 PT.  Dr. So and So.  Same template.   Chiropractic Assessment:  Palpation L2, L3, L5, L5 and S1, taut and tender MS fibers and fixat ...

Formatting For VR-
Jul 18, 2014

to format reports on VR, generally basic 4, every report?  I get so sick and tired of not only fixing the stupid words but since there is no training by physicians, every report has to be formatted to meet specs.  Just curious.  ...

Mental Status Exam Axis I
Nov 02, 2011

Mental status review, axis I diagnosis sounds like "frontal auget disorder, mild" or "formal augete disorder, mild?"  I could be way off but that is what it sounds like??? Any help??? Thanks!   ...

Psychiatric Term S/l *lasodymia*
May 04, 2010

He reports that he feels useless and worthless with sense of indifference towards self as well as others to the point he is unspontaneous and has no sense of feeling at times, suggestive of s/l *lasodymia.*  The dictator is a mumbler so not sure if that is the correct beginning of the word or not.  Thanks! ...

Past Psychiatric History
Aug 11, 2010

ED is dictated several times a few of the instances are: Hospitalizations: 1. ED age 13 St. Clair Hospital Monroe 2. 15 years old ED November of that year. 4. 1996 3-week hospitalization in Racine was transferred to Mendota Mental Health Institute on an ED where she remained between May and September of 1996.   What does ED stand for? ...

Capitalization - Psychiatric Emergency
Sep 11, 2010

Do I capitalize "Psychiatric Emergency Area" or just "Psychiatric Emergency" and not "area" ? I believe "emergency room" is not to be capitalized but I have seen where "Psychiatric Emergency Room" was capitalized.    Thank You ! ...

Getting Into Psychological/psychiatric Transcription
Feb 28, 2011

I have 30-plus years of experience in transcription, but not medical.  I am interested in getting into the psychological/psychiatric area of transcription.  I have experience with psychological transcription, since I did work for a psychologist in the past transcribing evaluations and progress notes.  I was wondering if anybody knows how to get into this area of transcription.  Would I need to take a medical transcription course somewhere.  Or would it be possible for me ...

Psychiatric Pairs/pares?
Jan 09, 2012

I am doing an H and P and under the physical examination, dictator says - PSYCHIATRIC: All pairs/pares intact. Is 'pairs' correct? If not, any ideas? Thanks in advance. ...

Disk Formatting
Oct 17, 2011

I got a new computer.  I do work for a local doc the old fashioned way (tapes) and would like to save his work on disks (used 3.5 on old computer).  I tried to format the disk and things were going well until the last few seconds when a window popped up saying format could not be completed, but no reason why.  I have tried several times since and the same thing happens.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?  I am using CD-RW disks.  Thanks. ...