A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

BOS3 Formatting Question - Applicant

Posted: Jan 07, 2012

I'm an experienced MT, not a newbie straight out of school.  If this belongs on the "word" board, then I apologize in advance (I wasn't sure where to post it).

I am testing for a company that uses BOS3 (which I despise) and that is counted in the grading.  In the physical exam section, the dictator gave a few headings (which of course I inserted) but not all.  According to BOS3, inserting undictated headings is optional.  Some sections begin as sentences (e.g., "Heart exam shows...").  Should I change that to "HEART:" for consistency or type it out as dictated?  IMO it looks very strange having a combo of sentences and capitalized headings followed by colons within a single paragraph, and if this were my client I would clean it up for consistency.  But the general consensus seems to be to type verbatim while testing.

Your thoughts?

formatting - kat

[ In Reply To ..]
I would say that you would just type verbatim. If they dictate a heading, type a heading. It really is a preference issue, per company, and you have no way of knowing the preference, so your best bet is verbatim.

Similar Messages:

Numbers Spelled Out According To BOS3
Sep 30, 2013

If a sentence ends with a number, such as, "...the patient will be seen again in a week or two," according to BOS3 should the two be shown as 2 or spelled out.  ...

Need Help With Formatting
Dec 30, 2009

I did something and now I only have a half space between sentences - how can I get this back to normal??? ...

Help Please! (Formatting)
Apr 24, 2012

I am having trouble trying to figure out when, and when no to make a list, or heading.   First, I know the headings, in the beginning, are ALL CAPS, like FAMILY HISTORY, MOTOR, REFLEXES, but then, the Neurologist begins listing (on the independent medical evaluation, under "Record Summary/Provider") tons and tons of dates like: 9/17/2010 PT.  Dr. So and So.  Same template.   Chiropractic Assessment:  Palpation L2, L3, L5, L5 and S1, taut and tender MS fibers and fixat ...

Formatting For VR-
Jul 18, 2014

to format reports on VR, generally basic 4, every report?  I get so sick and tired of not only fixing the stupid words but since there is no training by physicians, every report has to be formatted to meet specs.  Just curious.  ...

BOS3 Question, Is It 3-cm Lesion Or 3 Cm Lesion?
Apr 30, 2010

I have the BOS2 which says the hyphenation should be "a 3-cm lesion," but "the lesion measures 3 cm."  I was recently told that the BOS3 changes this and now they don't want hyphens in there at all. I don't have the money to buy the BOS3 yet, but if there is anybody who does have it, would you be able to tell me what it says about hyphenating or not hyphenating this?  Have they changed this now? ...

Disk Formatting
Oct 17, 2011

I got a new computer.  I do work for a local doc the old fashioned way (tapes) and would like to save his work on disks (used 3.5 on old computer).  I tried to format the disk and things were going well until the last few seconds when a window popped up saying format could not be completed, but no reason why.  I have tried several times since and the same thing happens.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?  I am using CD-RW disks.  Thanks. ...

Help With Formatting Paragraph In VR
Dec 22, 2011

Okay I work in Dictaphone VR.  The latest version.  I have Word 2007.  In VR, the physical exam and its subheadings are all double spaced.  Anyway to highlight the paragraph and make it single spaced?  I usually just use arrows and delete about 7 times a row to tidy it up, but I was hoping I could highlight and do a few keystrokes and be done.   Thank you in advance for your help! It is double spaced like this:   PHYSICAL EXAMINATION: VITAL SIGNS: Blood pr ...

Formatting # Range In P.o.
Mar 23, 2012

When the doctor dictates a range for p.o., for instance "1/2 to 1 p.o.," do we write it as 0.5 to 1 or 1/2 to 1? Thank you for the help. ...

Formatting Woes
Aug 20, 2012

I work for TDD, and always get confused about their formatting.  Can someone tell me if we are to transcribe their consults in paragraph form or not?  TY ...

Formatting Abruptly Changed
Feb 03, 2010

There probably have been answers to my question out here before, but does anyone know what causes the formatting in an EditScript document of which I am either editing or transcribing?  It tabs, bolds, changes font sizes, and messes up the spacing between lines.....things I did not manually do myself.  Is there something I should be changing on my RTF? Or is it something else?  Seems like I may have seen something about that, but I can't find it in my manual (which doesn ...

Diagnosis Formatting Issue
May 24, 2010

I am now totally confused.  I've always been told the rule of thumb is that if there IS no #2, then there is no #1 to create a list.  It should simply be Diagnosis: yada I have a dictator that for some unknown reason kept dictating  Diagnosis: 1. UTI:     A) Resolved after antibiotics.  No number #2 so i just did not even number this, but I got it back QA'd , am I losing it or have been doing this wrong all along? Thanks much for the input. ...

Formatting Question In Word2003 With XP
Jun 13, 2010

I just recently switched to Word2003 and am having issues with formatting.  I tried everything I can think of but color me DUHHHH because it is not working. I have to number impressions.  I would like to somehow set ALL documents for this to line up the same way and I must be missing something because I have to do this each document. I went to numbers/bulletting and even made it custome, but again, each document has to have it redone.  When you are doing 50, it is time consuming ...

Formatting For Consultation Report
Oct 20, 2010

On a consultation report, under the heading "past medical history" is there a specific order of sub headings according to the AHDI standards? ...

Help With Formatting MS Word 2007
Oct 14, 2011

Hello, When typing p.r.n. with my newly installed MS Word program, it automatically types p.  R.  n.  Does anyone know the change I need to make in the program to correct this?   Thanks in advance. ...

Formatting Question For DQS7.1
Sep 17, 2012

Just starting DQS7.1 today and wondering about spacing between paragraphs.  In ASR, when the dictator says next paragraph, it goes to the next line.  Is this correct, or do I need to insert a hard return to make a like between the paragraphs?  Anybody know?  Don't want to mess up the formatting.  ...

Psychiatric AXIS I Formatting
May 31, 2013

Greetings, I recently got a gig for Psychiatric clinic and I am a little confused as to the accepted formatting for DSM diagnoses under AXIS I...  Here is what I have been doing, and it's different from examples I've seen online... I'm thinking I learned my current style from either CareerStep or working for Nuance; however, I'm not sure...  My clinic doesn't really have any concrete formatting guidelines, but I want to be using best practices nonetheless. &nbs ...

Fluency Formatting Problem.
Jul 06, 2014

Every once in a while I get the problem where the margins seem to have disappeared in that the output no longer stays in the window and I have to scroll horizontally to read the text. How do I get it back to normal? TIA ...

Formatting Issue Regarding Signs, Tests, Etc.
Sep 03, 2010

When a doc dictates lets say "negative Kernig" versus stating "negative Kernig sign" will I transcribe it as "negative Kernigs" or "negative Kernig's" ...

Quick Word/formatting Help, Needed.
Dec 21, 2010

Doctor dictates:  Has a 130-year pack-year history.  and I'm not certain of how to correctly format it. THANKS! ...

Anybody Use SH To Insert Dates? Need Help With Formatting Commands
Jul 10, 2013

I have a few SH entries to insert dates - for example, ydl inserts yesterday's date using the long format (July 9, 2013).  I have one little problem though and can't seem to figure it out.     When I use the "%e" parameter, I get "July  9, 2013" with the extra space between the month and the day.  Once the days roll over to double digits this is not a problem.  If I use "%d" then I get a leading zero.  I want to be able to insert the date with a sin ...

Formatting Question, Procedure Note On A Test
Jan 08, 2012

My prospective employer's transcription test has a partial procedure note on it.  Should I add extra headings and fields that I am certain of (procedure name, physician's name) to make it a complete report or just skip that and transcribe what's here? BTW, I am neither a student nor a newbie. adTHANKSvance! ...

I Have Spent The Entire Night Formatting Documents.
Apr 26, 2013

It really hurts the line count bad. So far, I have had a lot of documents that require quite a bit of formatting - H&Ps, consults and ER reports from several facilities with each having different requirements and everyone wanting the ROS and PE different. Also, lack of punctation is hurting a lot too. I can't wait until I get out of here. Just 8 more months and counting! ...

Emdat Inscribe Help - Formatting/Editing Toolbar Gone
Aug 17, 2014

Hi, Just wondering if anyone else has come across a problem in Inscrie Auto Text, where the formatting/editing toolbar is not visible.  I have logged a couple of jobs and the response on fixing it was subpar. I was told I could use Ctrl + B for bold etc, which didn't really help with all the other editing/formatting needs I have to create an auto text.   Hoping someone else has had the same problem and may have a solution! Thanks in advance,  Charlie  ...