A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

SR pay methods/standards - PetLove

Posted: Nov 05, 2009

My hospital is transitioning into SR using APEX. We're being told that they want to base our expect standards on VBC (visual black characters), saying this is "the industry standard".  Are the rest of you on SR/VR paid by VBC, lines, or minutes?  What were the justifications given?  We've been paid for the last 10 years by minutes so aren't thinking this is a good change.  Any feedback would be helpful.  We are a union shop so would love to hear from other union shops who have dealt with this.  Thanks!

Daily expects - PetLove

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are working in VR/SR, what is your daily expect for 8 hrs? We've seen all kinds of numbers thrown around, but would like to know what people are really expected to do once they've been on the system for a few months.

Anyone? - PetLove

[ In Reply To ..]
30 views and no one has anything to say about how their pay is determined? Just trying to get a ballpark on what your situation is. Thanks for any replies.

VR pay - sa

[ In Reply To ..]
it's paid by line, varies by company 3, 3.5, 4.5, 5, sometimes more
at my company must do 12,000 in a pay period. I would starve if I did only that.

Not paid for spaces, huh? - VR person

[ In Reply To ..]
If doing VR alone and not paid for spaces, might be others do not know about answering because they are not paid like that, I am not. I make 4 cents per line for VR but have some straight, very little but still have some. Yesterday for my 8 hours I did $150 and a little over for the day but with no spaces and donĂ¢€™t think you quoted a price per line, would be difficult to figure that one out. Does not sound like I would care to do though. That thing about the standard, I do not think that is the standard - yet- though might be going that way.

The offers I have had for VR are from 3 CPL to 6 CPL for a 65 character line. - ndmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Pay is determined pretty much by how low they can go and still get people to work, and the minimums don't really count because you can't make a living on that anyway. You have to pull about 2000 lines a day to be over minimum wage and 3500 to 4000 to make a nice living. Most places I have talked with recently are requesting 1000 to 1350 lines as a minimum at an average rate of 4.5 cpl.

I don't know if I have run across anyone who is in a union posting on this board, and I don't even think being paid by the minute is very common anymore, so I don't know if you will find the comparisons you want. I didn't post originally because I didn't think I could provide a valid comparison for you and what your situation is now, but I do know that a VBC offer is very rare in the job postings and is NOT well received by MTs looking for work.

VR wants 2500 per day and text 1200 per day - wordlady

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to make 9.5 cpl at my job that ended in June. It was SO easy and all clinic (boring actually) but very good money for straight typing.

I just started a job mid September and it is mostly VR (which I love now) but did not in the beginning. I make 4.20 cpl and am climbing up but still only about 1600 lines per day. SO, basically I am working full-time for part-time wages. Today was my 1st paycheck where I averaged over $9 an hour, before that if I did make it they had to pay me $7.50 an hour, but my production is going up. It's really an insult to our profession for our skills, but I need to work to supplement my low SS widow benefit. I am just glad to pay my bills right now, but I am damn tired that's for sure. Straight typing here is 7.90 per line of which I hardly get any of and that is just fine by me. Doing lots of OP notes which are my favorite. Good luck!

Are you saying you are supposed to do 3700 per day? - VR lover

[ In Reply To ..]
If that is the case, this is getting really ridiculous. I think when companies say this, they are going by the sale talk the VR companies gave them stating we could do 2 or 3 x what we normally do.

VR pay - PetLove

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for all your posts, especially how often VBC is brought up in job offers or upgrades. I think this must be something touted by the software people. The finance officer at our facility is trying to save $1 million/year from our dept, which is not just transcription, but the savings are trying to be made from us going onto VR. I know minutes aren't common, but was why I took the job years ago - much more fair than lines. It's really helpful to get a sense from you who are working for services what they expect so we can respond to the "this is industry standard" assertions. As far as union people not posting, they may not mention they're union, but have never understood why MTs have not unionized, especially when we see pay going continually down. Am glad I found a union shop as we are on salary with full benefits. I wish this were industry standard as doing 1450 lines at 4.5 is only $60! That's WAY too low.
I donĂ¢€™t worry about being unionized myself, you see - VR here
[ In Reply To ..]
my husband is so I can reap the benefits of his. I think you posted this because you know most on here not in a union. What is your point, anyway? I would think you should find someone who fits into your MT union job situation who might be able to answer your questions.
Benefits - PetLove
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, that's great that you have a husband whose benefits you can use. But your job should provide benefits so you don't need to use your husban's. Most MTs I know aren't married, nor should they have to be to have benefits. I don't see being in a union as a separate situation. As far as that goes, if we'd all unionized a long time ago, our industry wouldn't be in the state it is today. Each MT negotiating their own separate contract with companies works best for the companies as they can just wait til they get someone willing to take their low offers.
Sounds to me - VR person
[ In Reply To ..]
You are a little on the bragging side because of your bringing up the union deal. I paid for my own way for years before marrying this husband so now I use his, no problem in this household. I have no issues with my work, my home life, nothing really. If others are not able to make in this line of work, they should try something else.
VR - PetLove
[ In Reply To ..]
I simply mentioned the union by way of explanation of how we negotiate with our facility. I don't think that's bragging, it's just reality. Guess we can agree to disagree on how hard someone should have to work to just have health care. I prefer to keep this on topic, which is how your organization pays for VR.

Gawd, I hope not or my goose is cooked!! - lindawordlady

[ In Reply To ..]
I think they look at an average of the whole thing. Basically it is 125 lpm for test and 250 lpm for voice. I will be happy to get up to 2000 lines period.
Straight vs VR - PetLove
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm seeing about 15% of jobs coming through that need to be transcribed straight. We're being told, as usual, that things are "luck of the draw". I have never felt this was an equitable way to do things. Does your company compensate somehow for straight versus VR?
more for text obviously than VR, but not good - lindawordlady
[ In Reply To ..]
Straight typing is 0.790 per line and VR is 4.20 per line. I hardly get any text, maybe 10% in a day, but I find I can actually go faster with VR. I am just really focused the whole shift, hardly any breaks. I have accummulated lots of samples of the difficult dictators which helps if you get lots of the same docs that are bad. Like I saw, I am working full time for part-time money. Bad news!
Straight vs VR pay - PetLove
[ In Reply To ..]
Interesting, Lindawordlady, that there is a differential between text and VR. So the software can keep track of this for you or do you have to send in a tally? My place acts like the software can't do any differentiating that would affect pay, yet they know if we're keyboarding or not every second. I find that unbelievable. I'm sorry to hear you're having to work so hard and few breaks - I used to do that as an IC, which was why I finally gave in and went in-house, but now that's tightening way up too. Can understand the bad dictators, they just take longer with their self-editing, mumbling, stream of consciousness dictation style, etc.
Software does keep track of everything... - lindawordlady
[ In Reply To ..]
I work for a company that uses Dictaphone with extext... have you heard of it? Yes, they know when you sign in, how long it takes for a report, and I mean every second. This is what frustrates me, is that I have to work a 9-hour day but sometimes it shows 7 hours which really irritates me. I do get 1 hour (my hour, not their's) but if I get up to get a cup of coffee, bathroom, too much time searhing it knows it. I have only been there since mid-September and it is getting easier and faster, but I feel pretty tensed up all the time.

I print out my pay stubs and keep track of my lines myself as I go along, but on the payroll stub, it has now many lines for text and how many for speech, and how many lines per hour. Today was just my 3rd paycheck and like I say, it is going up, but quite fast enough.

Then today, when I was supposed to work there was something wrong with the software, in that it froze my PC all the time so I could not send a report or work. Called the owner of the company and she streamed in on my PC to fix. Long story short, I got on at 5:45 pm and I was supposed to be typing from noon to 9:00. So, I lost all that typing time. Then tonite, when I ended my last report at 9 p.m. I got this same error again. So, all this cuts into my time, my paycheck. I resent that terribly but I just do not have a choice right now. I tell you, if I could find a job at Walgreens I would go there, just to get out of the house, see people and not feel like I am so powerless over this situation. On well, what can you do eh!
What the software knows - PetLove
[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, Linda, what a terrible day. Can you work as an employee for this company so you get paid for downtime? If you're getting faster with the software, it would seem to be worth giving up some freedom to get paid when there are the inevitable software issues. I've used Dictaphones ages ago, but not familiar with Extext. The software we use shows the same things when you log off, but also the Visual Black Character (VBC) count that my supervisor is pushing as what she's going to base our pay and incentive on. I don't see it showing text and sr separately, but she may have turned that off at our end so we think it can't do that. I'd say more, but not on the net. Suffice it to say, in-house jobs are just as affected by the pressures as ICs are now, though this is more recent for us, mostly in the last year. I'm with you about wanting to get out of the house. This job worked while I was a single parent, but my child is long grown up now and I'd rather work with people again, not to mention not having my every minute monitored.
VR/straight - sa
[ In Reply To ..]
I do VR for 3 companies (all on Escription).
Each has a little straight (10%, approximately).
One pays 4.5/8.5
One pays 4.5/9
One pays 3.5/7 - but on this account I can go the fastest(least editing) so often comes out to same or better per hour than the others. maybe $14-18

software tracks it. I can pull up the report and tells me how much I did of VR versus. straight

let's set the record straight - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
using visual black characters is not "the industry standard." Those three little words are the brainchild of the former AAMT, and also the biggest con job that ever hit this business. The original "industry standard" was 65 KEYSTROKES per line. And keystroke meant anything that you achieve with the motion of your hand (space, tab, return, bold, underline, italics). It didn't matter if it was in the body of the report or in the headers and footers. That all changed over time. Eventually, it reached the point that all that would be paid if for what you actually see. Which is okay, but,

thereisnowayIwillnotgetpaidforspaces,ortheycandinsertthespacesontheirend.

SR pay methods/standards - PetLove

[ In Reply To ..]
Right now, in-house, it appears we're currently being paid for a 550character line in VBC, which, if not counting all characters, is 8.5% less plus another 10-15% less from a regular 65-character line. We're seeing what we can do about this.

sorry about typo, that's 55-character line - hate this MS keyboard nm - PetLove

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

VR Methods
Mar 09, 2012

When I had my training for VR, they told us how to listen and edit at the same time -- something that sounded impossible to do!  You start listening to the job, then when you find a spot to edit, detach the cursor from the highlight, make the edit, then reattach the cursor to the spot immediately after your correction, and continue on. This sounded very confusing then - and it still does now.  Therefore, I've been listening, moving the cursor along with the dictation, then s ...

Productivity Tracking Methods
Jun 27, 2010

On someone else's recommendation, our boss is looking into "amount-of-time-in-a-document" as a method of tracking productivity.  Anyone else have experience with this?  Are (and if so, how are) variables (i.e., pauses, difficult dictator, etc.) factored in?  Any input most welcome.   ...

How Long Does It Take Nuance To Convert Platforms To Their Methods On Companies And Accounts Acquire
Sep 24, 2013

My company was acquired by Nuance a few months back and so far the only thing that has changed has been e-mail addresses.  Paystubs even still reflect our original company name.  Will they keep our proprietary platform or make us change to eScription soon?  Also, we're all ICs.  Does anyone know if we will be required to become Nuance employees at the first of the year?  ...

ASR And Standards
Dec 08, 2009

I know the rule has always been if the report type has a standard with more than 6 headings that we can hit F11 and type the job.  Now I sorta remember reading that was changing.  Does anyone know if it has and what the new rule is? ...

VR Standards
Dec 23, 2009

This is just my observation.  I am presently working on VR and have been for about 1-1/2 months.  On my straight typing accounts, we followed the Book of Style and typed verbatim.  VR is a whole different world.  Where as we had to spell out abbreviations in the impression, plan, preoperative diagnoses, etc., with straight typing, on VR we are told to not expand abbreviations.  We are also told that unless the statement makes no sense whatsoever to send it to QA, b ...

FYI - Standards
Jan 08, 2010

Just to let you all know, after talking with my CCM, what happened to me was an error and has been fixed.  We *do* get paid for standards. Sorry if I freaked anyone, besides myself, out with my post. ;o) ...

More About Standards
Jul 25, 2012

Thanks for all your comments about inserting standards but I am not concerned about mistakes in them at audits.  I am at the point where I don't care if I am fired.  The point I wanted to make is that the quality of the standard from the hospital was horrendous yet obviously acceptable because it comes from them yet we are expected to be 99% accurate under the worst possible circumstances.  If this weren't so pitiful and causing so many MTs so much distress, it would be ...

Standards/templates
Dec 16, 2010

I've been with MQ for about 2 months now.  I've noticed that many, many of the dictators use what we used to call "standards" or templates.  We just inserted the canned text and made changes where indicated. Is this allowed?  I know some has their own (crtl S), but can I make my own and use them?  ...

Question - Standards/F11
Jun 09, 2011

When a report requires a standard be used and it is an ASR report, if the MT knows what the standard headings are, isn't it acceptable to just type in the headings in the appropriate places within the ASR, rather than pulling in the standard by Ctrl S?     ...

Are We Paid For Standards?
Jul 05, 2012

Can anyone tell me if we are paid for standards brought into reports or only what we add to it?  I did a very long OP note yesterday that had a large standard and quite a bit of dictation along with it and am surprised to see I only received 9.38 lines for it.  Something doesn't seem right, I know I type more than 9.38 lines even without the standard!   ...

Inserting Standards
Jul 23, 2012

Our facilities have many docs who say "insert my standard."  Yesterday I got a new one which was beyond belief.  The format was wrong; the PE was double spaced instead of single.  Some of the headings were capitalized and some were not.  There were spelling errors.  No Murmurs, Rubs or Gallops appeared like so, etc., etc.  Someone somewhere had to produce this PE and this is what the hospital is using as their standard.  Next time I get a piece of crap like thi ...

How Do I Toggle To Standards
Oct 24, 2012

When I am in a job, and the doctor requests standard, ctrl S does not always toggle me to the standard list.  Is there another way without using my mouse?  thank you in advance.  ...

Who Writes These Standards
Oct 24, 2012

Standard name doesnt even match what doc dictated,,the numbers he dictates dont match and the spelling...dont even get me started on that!!! ...

Doctors Using Standards
Oct 31, 2012

Anyone else get really annoyed when a doctor says "use my standard" and then proceeds to make half a dozen changes to it?  What they would like us to do is remove part of the dictation, go down to the bottom, get the appropriate text, copy, delete, move it back to the correct place in the report and then, of course, edit it.  Doing this multiple times is not only excessively time consuming but makes it very easy to accidentally delete text.  Just curious if you are all doing this. ...

Normals/standards
Apr 22, 2014

Okay, if you want me to be 99.7% then at least have the information in the normals/standards correct.  Misspelled words, punctuation errors.  Really?  Have to go in and change a LOT in order to "attempt" to make 99.7%.  Thinking I am no longer going to change them and when i get "nicked," I am going to say "that's how it was entered."  Sorry for the rant. ...

Fair Standards Act/getting Together On This Stuff
Jan 04, 2010

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place, but it seems like with all the screwing over that some of these companies do to us (and I know it's no accident that they don't encourage us to communicate amongst ourselves), few people here are suggesting some way of getting together to "encourage" the companies we work for to screw us over less, or at least less painfully. I know there's a Fair Standards act, for example, that supposedly covers even us (working on production). Whi ...

When Did We Stop Getting Credit For Standards? - Sm
Jan 06, 2010

Last night I did two fairly long duplex studies where the doctor says "use my standard" with a lot of "move this, take that out, insert this..."  Not difficult, but time consuming.  When I went in to look at my line count after my shift, I got a total of 20 lines for the two reports, or 16.48 cents!  What gives with this?  Did I miss the memo, or did they just not tell us?  Next week they'll be asking us to pay them when we actually get work. :o( ...

Medquist Standards And Guidelines
Mar 10, 2010

Before I appear dumb to supervisor, can somebody tell me where do I find "MedQuist Standards and Guidelines?" ...

What Line Counts Standards Are Out There
Jul 29, 2010

I am just curious as to what line count standards are out there. What are your line count requirements for the day and how much do you use your QA for things like missing encounters, unable to ID patients, incorrect work types? Where I work our standards are relatively lower than other places, however, we also are required to match encounters, determine the work type, send an email for each work type or inrcorrect MRN, create a temporary patient if we cannot find the patient anywhere in the s ...

Standards For Edited Lines
Sep 15, 2011

I manage a  transcription department and we went live with Escription a few months ago.  I am working on setting standards for edited lines as well as putting together an incentive program.  Would anyone be willing to share their policy for transcribed/edited lines and what they are currently paying for incentive. Thank you! Renee ...

Do We Get Paid For Pulling In Standards?
Feb 10, 2012

my check was $100 less this pay and I am trying to figure out why.  I know I had some reports with standards so I am wondering if this was why.  Thanks for the help. ...

Transcription Productivity Standards
Apr 11, 2012

Can anyone give me Transcription Productivity Standards using voice recognition? ...

Fair Standards Labor Act
Oct 28, 2012

The U.S. Dept. of Labor requires time and a half pay for all hours over 40 worked in a work week.  (I think only if employee status.)  We are considered piecemeal workers and indeed are eligible for OT pay.  "All time spent by an employee performing activities which are job-related is potentially "work time." This includes the employee's regular "on the clock" work time, plus "off the clock" time spent performing job-related activities (which benefit the employer). Potential ...

Nuance Quality Standards
Nov 26, 2013

I am curious if MLS and/or QC/QA people working for Nuance are able to consistently meet their 99.5% accuracy rating while meeting the lines per hour requirements? ...

Tightened Standards In Hiring (sm)
Mar 17, 2014

It seems opportunities are much narrower than I realized.  I never thought I would be turned down for lack of experience as I have almost 30 years experience.  I was turned down by two companies because althought I have a lot of specialty experience, my acute care experience only includes 1 year on ops as most of my work was at home for private physicians. I think so many experienced MTs have lost their jobs to technology that we have stiff competition.  In the two I was turned d ...

I Have To Comment On The Below Posts About Not Getting Paid For Standards...
Jan 06, 2010

I'm going to test this out myself the next time I use one.  If this is true, sure would explain my slightly plummeting line count from usual no matter how hard I try.  That would be some BS for sure.   Makes you wonder why they make that "rule" that we are not allowed to make our own expanders from their standards!!!!  AHA!  Well, they have no way of knowing, so that is EXACTLY what I am going to do if I find out we aren't compensated for those standards. ...

Nuance Flexibility & Standards Questions
Dec 04, 2013

I work from home part-time for a large hospital corporation locally, but we are constantly running out of work and being asked to use PTO or VTO and take the day off.  I'm running out of PTO and cannot afford to take the day off without pay.  I don't need insurance or any of that, as I get it through my current employer but to supplement income I decided to apply at Nuance.  A recruiter got back to me with the link to their pre-employment testing.  My question is th ...

Speech Recognition Quantity Standards
May 01, 2014

I am very interested in learning what the different 'guidelines' or 'requirements' are for those of you now doing SR editing.  What is the minimum line count you are expected to have and is that reasonable?  Thanks!!! ...

Fair Labor Standards Act Info
Dec 01, 2014

How may of us are sitting around waiting for work to come in?  We are tied to our computers hoping for something but we get no pay for that time until maybe a report shows up.  Then we sit and wait...and wait...and wait. Should we dare to walk away and something comes in, we get a smackdown if we miss the new and ridiculous 4-hour TAT.  Well, this is what I found researching the U.S. Dept of Labor.   Waiting Time: Whether waiting time is hours worked under the Act depe ...

Oh, Mmodal, Please Raise Your Quality Standards Again
Feb 16, 2015

fire MTs and keep demanding more OT.   As I have stated before, 99.5% is NOT about quality, it is about cutting pay and getting us to work even more cheaply. ...