A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Face it. Our piece of the pie is smaller. - realist

Posted: Sep 22, 2010

This used to be a career where many of us were able to ride the gravy train for awhile.  Don't get me wrong, we really worked hard for our money.  But, back in the day, we either had our own accounts and kept the entire cpl, or we worked for an MTSO who subcontracted to us or hired us to transcribe and we got a bigger piece of that cpl pie.  I made some fantastic money even 12 years ago.  I was working on tapes or rerecording on from my Skutch box.

The years have advanced, the MTSOs are getting larger, and our piece of the pie is getting smaller.  They way I look at it, the company I work for pays me my cpl for straight and VR lines, and the rest of the cpl goes to clerical staff, overhead, offices, advertsing, travel, servers, HR, computer equipment, shipping, IT, sales, voice recognition.  The list goes on and on.  That doesn't make my company the devil incarnate.   When the day comes that I feel my effort is not worth my pay, I'll move on.  The industry has evolved, and so far, I have evolved with it.   Pining for the days gone by does no good. 

Face it, there is no longer a pie. America has lost most jobs I think - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

The pie is enormous. Our nation is extremely wealthy. - Nuff Said NM

[ In Reply To ..]
(Clue: Wages for the middle class have basically stagnated since the 1970s, while national wealth and prices have continued to grow.)

I was not referring to the wealth of our nation as a whole...sm - realist

[ In Reply To ..]
I was referring very specifically to the MT industry and how the business model has drastically changed over the past 10+ years.
But I was referring to the wealth we working people create - Nuff Said
[ In Reply To ..]
and how it is being allocated. And it is being allocated. The pie is not at all too small to provide its cooks an appropriate share that actually increases as the size of the pie grows.

Good points - StillMTin

[ In Reply To ..]
The technology began changing in earnest around 2001-2002. That's when I closed my MTSO doors and became solely a worker-bee. In order to be competitive I would have had to invest significant dollars in technology (I'd already invested $100k in a digital dictation system.) Finding TRULY qualified MTs became harder and harder. I wasn't willing to go offshore to afford or find labor. I knew the clients weren't going to absorb me doubling their fees so I could be competitive, so I felt I really had no option.

I'd always paid my MTs well but with the technological changes, I wasn't going to be able to do it any longer. Those still in the game have a significant amount of money invested in staying in it. Yes, our piece of the pie is smaller because there are so many munching on the same snack, and you're right demonizing MTSOs isn't really going to do much but aggravate ya.

STillMTin...very interesting to hear your perspective. Thanks for posting. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Yes, thanks, StillMtin. - Poppy NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Pt With Horner's Syndrome. She Seems *sweatily* On Both Sides Of The Face. Face Is Otherwise S
Feb 24, 2010

nm ...

Prolonged Service Without Face To Face Patient Contact
Nov 09, 2010

Can 99358 and 99359 still be reported in addition to e/m services and procedures or should we use another code? ...

Smaller Companies
Jun 06, 2010

How does one locate smaller companies? I am a recent grad trying to decide which way to go and am rather overwhelmed by everything I am reading. ...

Smaller Or Mid-sized MTSOs
Nov 10, 2011

Can anyone give some suggestions on finding some smaller MTSOs to work for - some websites to search, etc?  Most of the MTSOs that advertise seem to be larger.  I am hoping to find a better home!  TIA ...

Smaller Companies That Is Autopsy Transcription
Apr 24, 2012

been doing some research and found several companies that is autopsy transcription, anyone do this, have info  and care to share how the transcription differs from regular transcription?  very curious to know.      Thx in advance!! ...

Any Smaller Transcription Companies Out Ther
Apr 10, 2013

It seems like all the "big" companies no one is happy with. Anyone know of any smaller companies that are hiring for work at home?  There must be an updated list out there somewhere of transcription companies of a smaller nature, but I can't find it. Any input is appreciated. ...

Interesting Piece Of Mail
Jul 20, 2010

I got a pretty little glossy page in snail mail yesterday from Nuance/Focus Informatics describing how wonderful their company is and all the openings they have for MTs.  I racked my brain trying to figure out how they would even know that I am an MT.  Then I remembered how the Q signed us up for Benchmark KB and that included my 'free' membership to AHDI.  So apparently AHDI sold my info?  What the heck?  ...

Why Is The SR Piece Rate Different For Each Week?
Dec 29, 2011

The SR piece rate shown in week 2 is 60% of my straight typing rate like it should be, but for week 1, it is 40% of my straight typing rate. ...

I Saw A Nuance Puff Piece
May 18, 2014

where they were boasting about their record profits last quarter and so on, including a list of happy cliients, one of which was the VA!  Yes, the Veterans' Administration.  Can we find out if they are offshoring the VA???  If so, there is an issue we could really sink our teeth into. ...

SoftScript Is One Of The Smaller MTSO's But Has The Most Negative Feedback
Apr 03, 2013

nm ...

Minimum Wage--piece Rate Law
May 31, 2013

Of course, we all know about minimum wage laws but I was wondering if any one has any knowledge as to whether there might be a minimum piece-rate wage law.  I think if there was such a law, organizations such as MM would not be able to pay their highly-trained and highly-skilled employees as though they were a bunch of uneducated laborers. ...

Spanish Dictator. Cranial Nerves Exam - Smaller Right Pupil, No Ptosis, No Change In "sweating
Aug 15, 2014

x ...

Max Face
Feb 05, 2010

I haven't ever heard this phrase before and wondered if someone could tell me what it is/the correct way to transcribe it. Patient has facial trauma after high-speed motor vehicle collision. ...and on arrival had imaging workup with a traumagram and "max face" CT. ...

Face It...
Apr 17, 2013

She/they are never ever. EVER. going to tell you what you want to hear on these calls. Ever.  They tell us things we already know - what our collective concerns are via the employee survey, that they're oh-so-excited about this and that - things that will pad THEIR paychecks, not ours - and spout off a bunch of useless "statistics" that not one of us cares about - pretty much how successful THEY are as a company, not us as the MTs. Pass on some of that wealth!  Again, if you' ...

I Indeed On His Face! (sm)
Dec 26, 2013

Dictated: "I&D'd on his face" ...

Face It
Mar 20, 2014

don't know what they are doing, any more than they knew what they were doing with MT, other than how to make it more profitable for themselves. ...

Lung Face
Feb 26, 2011

A-P films showed no infiltrates, with a faint nodular density in the right lung face.     Anyone hear of right lung face? ...

Rash On The Face
Apr 20, 2011

In the history the patient complains of a rash around her mouth. in the PX HEENT is remarkable for "perlash" In the plan: "Perlash" will be treated with Lotrisone cream. Perlash?  I can't finding anything.  It is pretty clear.   ...

En Face A Word?
Oct 26, 2012

Does anyone know if "en face" is a word?  Thank you. ...

'u" Of The Face
Aug 29, 2013

"even the "u" of the face is lessened in color" ...

EVERY DAY, Another SLAP In The Face!
Dec 29, 2013

The other day I emailed my "boss" asking for a reversal on a FIESA because the report came through with no information but the dictator's name. I got dinged because when I did a search to find the person, a piece of information was incorrect. Not something he verbally said, just something I'm supposed to know for this account which has a bazillion different entities. Of course, she was off for most of the holiday week and just got back to me, wondering what my point was be ...

Nuance Laughed In My Face
Mar 05, 2013

Yesterday I got a call from Support asking questions about my system for the upcoming ebtxt migration.  When I told him I had satellite, he actually laughed and then turned to his coworkers, joked to them about it, and they all laughed too.  When I asked what was so funny, he was taken aback, as if he didn't expect me to be offended by his behavior.  He then apologized and mumbled something about satellite having a slow download time. Not only was his behavior unprofessiona ...

A Smiley Face Moment
Nov 20, 2014

Typed a friendly, clear, efficient doctor on an account I have never heard of before and will probably never have again, but he was dictating on a "pleasantly demented woman" and exam was "a little difficult" due to the fact that she "sang throughout the entire exam." It just made me smile to think of the elderly lady sitting there singing while he was trying to listen to her heart and lungs. I'll take whatever smiles I can get these days...   ...

Piece Of The "corace, Chorace?" From The Intraarticular Area
Feb 05, 2015

Sounds like my orthopedic doc is saying "corace".  Says "It looks like a piece of the corace from the intraarticular area has migrated superior to within the inner substance of the toe.  Not sure of the spelling of "corace" or "chorace"?   ...

Evidence Of Wind Burn On His Face. It Looks Like A
Feb 05, 2011

maculopapular rash but no s/l "erythema induration" and no signs or symptoms of s/l "era-sip-a-lee" or facial cellulitis.  ...

The Lower Face Was Prepped With Ryodine?
Jul 14, 2013

Any ideals? ...

He Fell On His Pacemaker Recently And Bruised His Face?
Dec 03, 2009

He fell on his pacemaker recently and bruised his face?? That's what she said, but it sounds strange to me.  Would you leave it as is? ...

What A Smack In The Face! Just Looked At My Pay Stub For The 1st Time
Nov 11, 2010

in a few months. I get direct deposit and rarely check my pay stubs on line. I've been doing significantly more lines this month so I wanted to see exactly what I make per line on ASR. I went from 6.75 to .555!! What? I am SO upset and disappointed. Why didn't they tell me about this huge cut in pay? Here I was calculating my lines at the 6+ rate, only to see on my pay stub that I've been making substantially less per line. I feel sick! I am going to contact my supe, but I don ...

Word Help - Sounds Like Nervacial Phase Or Face
Jul 29, 2011

Patient has osteroarthritis of the knee The question was on the musculoskeletal examination: Doctor states - There was tenderness to palpation mainly at the medial aspect of the knee.  There is no calf swelling or tenderness and the XXXXXX was intact.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellow MT's   ...

Let's Face It. If New Compensation Plan Is Great And Exciting,
Nov 13, 2014

to announce it by now. Rather, it's end of year, they are frantically trying to hire new MLS who don't know any better and will be locked into the crappy exciting compensation plan while there is the expected stampede for the door. Can't get any lower than that. I wonder how much they paid a committee or team to think up this plan. ...