A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Doctors with terrible dictating habits - Tiger

Posted: Aug 01, 2012

I have noticed in my years as a transcriptionist the horrible sound effects I hear from some doctors.  I just now transcribed a doctor who throughout the entire dictation must have coughed and loudly cleared his throat 20 times.  I had another one who used to burp, chew food and yawn; dictating the entire time without pausing.  AND believe it or not, I had a doctor FALL ASLEEP while dictating, no joke.  I find this so rude it is not even funny.  Not to mention the doctors who think they are in a race while dictating.  Is anyone else getting this or am I the only "lucky" one?

if you have been doing this 20 years, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You know you are not the only one. Come on. You know darned well that they all do this and complaining will not make it stop. It is part of the job.

I have been at this more than 20 years also and I agree. - Times are changing.

[ In Reply To ..]
It was all cute and funny when we used to get paid by the hour and it was not a problem to figure it out. Now, with the audits and pay by production, it is not so funny - and should no longer be considered "part of the job." Many of us no longer work in-house and directly for the doctor dictating.

With the evolution of the technology we are using, including VR, a dictated medical record needs to be taken a little more seriously and done professionally. Cost of medical transcription is a very major expense for most medical practices. Now, if you are paying for transcription by the dictated minute, you should not sit there and read your chart, or take a phone call, etc. Even if you are not paying by the minute, when your dictated reports come back constantly with blanks all over them because you were busy multitasking while you were dictating, dictating on a cell, etc., the money you are costing the practice is going to add up. Blame the MT all you want, but there is a middle man now to verify that you are horrible at dictation and that you waste a lot of money. If these doctors are not willing to become professional with this and change with the times, it's expensive. You can have a report come back with 10 blanks in it, and still have to pay for it.

We still have a doctor like this. I think he is catching on that we cannot do his dictation for him, we just transcribe.

Also been at this more than 20 years. sm - oldie

[ In Reply To ..]
It seems to me that this type of problem dictation has gotten A LOT more frequent in recent years. I've been at this a long time, both in-house and remote at-home service transcription, and the quality of the dictation (and rudeness) has become more frequent over a variety of doctors. It used to be you'd have one or two that would dictate in this rude manner (eating, slurping, burping, talking fast, whispering, etc.) but it seems that in the last few years there are more that are doing it. In fact, there are some that have been told not to do whatever behavior it is they're guilty of and, ya know what? . . . .THEY DO IT EVEN MORE ON PURPOSE!!! How childish is that of these "professionals"???

The worst of rude - steppinout

[ In Reply To ..]
was at the end of a very long report a doctor (using full words) dictated F.U. over and over again. I too have noticed dictations being more rude and difficult to get through, especially in the last few months.

And this garbage is put on VR all the time. Can we change this - What can we do. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
MTs have come on here quite frequently of late asking how we can change and/or improve what is happening.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that in order for a piece of dictation to actually qualify to be on VR, it must be 80% accurate or better. Unfortunately, it is the VR system itself that decides on that 80%, which we all know is far from the truth. It appears that companies are putting anything and everything on VR, simply to get the work done at a reduced rate of pay. The report one of the above MTs described actually had to be typed. If that is the case, why is she not getting the typing rate even if the dictation is in VR? The systems calculation of accuracy is WRONG!

Supposed we could get as many MTs as possible, regardless what company they work for, to investigate their platforms and see what percentage of accuracy it claims. Check that against the problem dictators, and COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN that it is not accurate. State the number of corrections you had to make or the amount of typing you had to do for a lesser rate. Ask specifically why that doctor is on VR. I have 3 doctors on VR who do not belong there. If I have many dictations for them in 1 day, it ruins my production and my income. I have complained numerous times and they are still there. I am going to keep track of changes made and the amount of typing that I do in their reports, perhaps a whole day's worth. I know this is a lot of trouble to do, but we as MTs are doing this garbage without question or complaint. We need proof to make our case, which we have available to us on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, all of us do not work for M, N, etc., but it would be my suggestion that if you have access through this board to co-workers, you could spread the word about addressing this with management. This may take time, but it is simply the only suggestion I can come up with to eventually resolve some of these issues and, really, we are the only ones that can do that.

I certainly would appreciate any suggestions or ideas from anyone here short of "strike," or quitting my job. That is not a practical answer for me. Has anyone resolved any issues with their management on the misplacement of dictations on VR? Please share.

Loopholes - steppinout

[ In Reply To ..]
Complaining until the wheel gets greased or replaced is the only option I have experienced. I work for a company who will look into if there are enough complaints and put these docs on a probation period. However, the loophole is that residents can punch in an attending # and use it for VR without being cleared and the vicious cycle constantly repeats. Bring it up at a meeting if you can, keep a log of dictator and job # that should not be on VR and flood managers with these logs and hope for the best. Taking time to count each VR correction you make will only hurt your pay. I'm pretty sure they already know how many corrections you are making on VR as they can tell how many keystrokes you make, how much pause percentage you have, how much time in system, report etc., but also make sure you are not over-editing. Hopefully someone will hear ya and get something done.

MTSOs - Elssa

[ In Reply To ..]
Whenever I've asked a manager at my MTSO to talk to the hospital about a dictator who is not audible (often because they're using a cell phone), they either ignore me or say it doesn't do any good to say anything, so why bother?

Don't you think the MTSO should at least try to pressure the hospital to ban cell phone dictation? That seems like such a reasonable request. You can't ask a dictator to get rid of his/her thick accent, but how difficult would it be to ban cell phone dictations? Are MTSOs so cowed by these hospital administrators to even request something reasonable like this, or are they correct that it would just be a waste of time.. Just wonderin'. When I get a combination of accent and cell phone, I usually have to leave over 10 spaces, and that's very frustrating. Can't deal with both those problems at once.
:(
Worked in-house for a while and they did try - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Have you ever met a doctor????

Arrogant, rude, obnoxious. The admin tells them NO CELL phone dictation and ours even installed dictation stations all over the hospital and guess what, they didn't care and still did it.

The reward? Many, many blanks in their dictation.

There is nothing anyone can do about it. Docs work long hours and they hate dictating and so squeeze it in wherever they can.
Okay..that's what I figured - Elssa
[ In Reply To ..]
I did always kind of believe my MTSO when they said it would do no good to ask for no cell phones, etc, but you've confirmed it.. Doctors just don't give a damn about quality, IOW they don't care about their patients. They just want to do what's easiest for them. I used to work in hospital, and it was rare to find one that was a decent human being. I remember back when Hillary Clinton was trying to reform the health care system, they put a large picture of her up on the wall and scribbled curse words and put tacks in it. What a creepy group of radiologists they were. :p
My service contracts state landline only... - just me
[ In Reply To ..]
This is one MTSO that absolutely does address it and other dictation issues. Cell phones are risk management issue, as they do not record well, and doctors are further distracted. My service contracts with clients specify landlines only (although I do get an occasional cell dictation). If I get more than a few (only 1 out of 96 does this to me), then I charge accordingly. VOIP is even worse. I also transcribe, and sound quality is extremely important to me, using landlines on my dictation system despite the enormous costs and arguing with my phone company (they are trying to phase out landlines).
landline only - Elssa
[ In Reply To ..]
That's heartening to know that you can actually insist on landlines and that they cooperate (most of the time anyway). :)

Similar Messages:

Most Of The Dictating Doctors This Week In My Main Account Have
Jan 14, 2011

Always makes me wonder about a hospital when one doctor gets sick with a cold, and then the rest of them get sick. That doesn't happen in every hospital. Their hoarse voices are screwing up ASR extra and their hoarse voices hurt my ears! ...

Okay. I Know As MTs We Have To Listen To All Kinds Of Noise From Doctors Dictating, But Sm
Mar 22, 2013

if I have to listen to this guy belch loudly into my ear one more time, I'm going to have a melt down.  I really wish I could tell him he needs to see a gastroenterologist, cause he really has a problem with this!!   ICK!  ...

I Am Tired Of Trying To Understand Doctors Dictating On Cell Phones On The Way Home
Aug 06, 2011

I have left notes about bad audio and hard to understand dictation and these doctors still persist in dictating on trains, cars, etc.  What do you do. ...

SUING ESL DOCS FOR BAD HABITS
Aug 23, 2012

AAMT, the industry, everyone says to be perfect and get everything correct.  HIPAA this, and HIPAA that.  If we are held to that standard, how about the doctor? If your company wants the $$ so bad, and we don't get help from them, and the hospital does not care about us, or bad habits from docs, why don't we just sue in small claims court the bad doctors, and also the hospitals/accounts for allowing DANGEROUS text mistakenly be typed.  I think enough MTs suing, knowing t ...

MQ Voice Recognition Learning Bad Habits!
Feb 19, 2011

Recently, I haven't been seeing errors like a temperature of 98 VII for 98.7, but just this morning, I've had two reports with an "I examination" rather than eye examination!  I mean, c'mon.  Where is it learning this stuff?   ...

Terrible Experiences....
Jul 27, 2010

I have had horrible experiences with 2 companies in the past few months that I thought were different and would turn out much better than most medical transcription companies out there. Well, the first one let me go because of lack of work.  They had outdated equipment and are actually holding my last check claiming that I did not mail the equipment, and I did.  The last check doesn't amount to much and probably isn't worth the time or trouble to try to get it as I am curren ...

Stentel Ad--terrible Pay
May 09, 2013

5 to 5-1/2 per line for straight transcription/ 2-1/2 cents per line for VR.  Are they out of their ever-loving minds?  Anyone would be better off at a beginning clerical job that requires no skills at $10 per hour PLUS a couple of benefits, even if that just means you are an employee and have your taxes (i.e., social security, medicare) and other state/federally mandated business costs covered by the employer.  It just keeps getting ugiler.  And truly, are we supposed to ...

Terrible Audio
Aug 18, 2013

I have been having exceptionally bad audio lately from normally good dictators and wonder why. Could this be another cost cutting measure somehow, or maybe they okayed docs to dictate under water or in their car or wherever on old crappy cell phones or something? It's bad enough to have to face the daily FIESA attack, but to take double the time to get through a report because of horrific audio is just the icing on the cake. Anybody else find this? Frustrating when you are trying to speed ...

When You Have Terrible Dictators
Apr 14, 2014

You know the ones I mean. They don't speak full sentence or even words and fly like the wind..Do you copy the job and send it to TSM or QA lead to have them listen and try and get the doc to do better, or do you just send it to QA in all its glory with a zillion blanks..I'm 2/2 in a row and really po'd at this point. ...

BeyondTXT Platform TERRIBLE
Oct 17, 2012

I felt that I had to let MTs know some information about the BeyondTXT platform.... I have been an acute care MT for 30 years and I recently went with Transcend/Nuance using the above platform. For example, compared to some other programs like DocuMed, Dictaphone, etc., it is absolutely the worst and most unfriendly program I have ever trained or worked on. It is not all-in-one area.  Your work pool is in one area and the document is in another, plus the demographic screens are all over t ...

I Know This Is Terrible, But Reading A Post Below
Dec 01, 2014

At least you are now being paid minimum wage.  When I worked here, they sent out E-mails threatening "You do not want MUP (make-up pay)! "  If you have not met your line requirements, corrective action will be taken.....   For what it's worth, you guys achieved this.  You refused to accept not even making minimum wage.  You kept track of times when you ran out of work.  You submitted your webclock hours with information that reflected when you were out of work ...

Amphion Terrible Company
Dec 10, 2014

Amphion was a terrible company for whom to work.  Mean people.  I take pride in my work only to have it slashed, sometimes ruined, turned in that way to the hospitals.  Very low pay and negligible benefits, with late paychecks too.  No respect shown to employees.  Don't even go there.  OOW starting Thanksgiving Day.   ...

Well, We Got To A Whole Week Without Being Told How Terrible We Are.
Jun 22, 2015

Somehow, last week they must not have done an audit because there was a pleasant email silence from the QAM. But today...boy did she give our group a reaming and a nice raving rant. Missed the mark by 7/100th of a percent. I see I am not on the perfect list again despite my efforts. Must have missed an a or the. Apparently, I am not on the critical error list. It is noteworthy that the numerical critical errors are numbers that can sound alike with the poor audio we get. Heck, who is ...

MQ Wonders Never Cease- TAT Terrible Under Lockdown
Jul 20, 2010

We just got an email letting us know how terrible our TAT has been for the past week.  Um, we are on lockdown!  And even if I wanted to help out (which I don't) there are no shifts available on the swap board to help out.   So whose fault is it do you think?  Certainly not the MTs, but we are getting blamed and now asked to work OT with no shifts available to pick up.  This lockdown was supposed to be the answer to MQ prayers- watch me while I do an "I tol ...

Flunked An Audit But I Don't Really Care, Is That Terrible?
Jun 24, 2013

Am supposed to call QC to have a "mandatory" meeting but you know what?? I really don't care at this point. I am sick and tired of these stupid audits and the ticky tack crap that we get audited for. I am at the point where I want to get fired to get u/e. I am just tired and burned out. ...

Sound Quality And Dictators Terrible?...sm
Dec 02, 2013

Current Probity employee about to be sucked up by the impersonal big company.  Anyway, has anybody noticed in the last two weeks all the good dictators are gone and there's nothing left but the garbage dictators and poor sound quality?  I have struggled all evening and have a total of about 300 lines.  Ran out of work both Saturday and Sunday nights which has never happened in the past.  Either I'm on the s**t list or the work is already transitioning somewhere else ...

It Things Are So Terrible At MModal How Do They Have Thousands Of US Transcriptions
Jun 01, 2013

Surely everyone can't be unhappy, right? ...

I Have Heard, From The Archives, That IMedx Has Terrible Wages, Withholds....sm
Dec 23, 2011

withholds up to 50% for errors or such; I am a long-time MT and have a QA score above 99, but that scares me.  Also, I heard the wages were low, and the platform bad.  This would be for straight typing, which is great for me.......Could I please have input here?  This is IC, BTW, I got an immediate response, the testing is very long, though, so I would like to know if it is worth it???  THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE AND MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!! =) ...

"There Was A Time When Doctors Were Doctors" By James Ong
May 06, 2014

From the KevinPho MD site:   There was a time when doctors were doctors. There was a time when young men and women sacrificed the best years of their youth, learning to treat patients and conquer diseases, not to become typists, paper pushers, data-entry clerks, or to have hospitals, insurance companies, and the federal government dictate to us how to practice medicine.   There was a time when doctors were trusted. There was a time when we were not guilty until proven ot ...

Not Dictating Mg With Dose...what To Do?
Nov 25, 2009

The doctor is not including the word mg with doses of medication. Do I just transcribe what I hear or insert it? IE- simvastatin 10, vitamin E 400 b.i.d., metformin 850 b.i.d., ibuprofen 400 p.r.n ...

Dictating Out Of Order
Dec 07, 2009

This is driving me crazy!  My main account has several docs that dictate their review of systems and PE out of body system order, like instead of the neck head down, they dictate the abdomen or extremities first.  ...

Okay, I Have A New Resident Dictating A
Jul 02, 2010

3-day hopsital stay discharge summary.  It is 30 minutes long.  This going to be fun.  ...

YAWNING AND DICTATING
Jul 13, 2010

I very seldom vent or complain, but it has just got to me today.  This surgeon does such good dictation, EXCEPT when he yawns and continues to dictate.  How in the world does he think we can understand him when he does this.  It is not a little yawn either.  It almost makes me shutter when he does it.  I am sorry, I just had to finally vent after listening to him for 10 years. ...

Gah! Hang Up When You're Done Dictating!!!
Oct 01, 2010

He does this all the time...turns a 1.5-2 min dictation into a 15 minute dictation.  I fast forward through it, but I still have to "listen" to the whole file before I can turn in the dictation.  This is on top of being a horrible dictator; he whispers, shuffles papers, etc, and has extremely long pauses between words.  Gah!!!! Okay, just had to get that out of my system.  Thanks! ...

One Or 1 When Dictating Medication
Nov 06, 2010

I have always thought the numbers less than 10 should be in numeral form if referring to medication.  So I thought 1 tablet of Vicodin a day would be the appropraite way to type it or 2 tablets of Vicodin a day.  However, I am not sure.  Any ideas? ...

Resident Dictating
Mar 16, 2011

I've got a resident dictating and is on the PE.  "Blood pressure 110/80 and ___________ was 65 and regular." I know that the blank would be heart rate, but the res says something like "balance" or "bowels"....is there a new term or an old one that has escaped me? TIA ...

Gum Chewing While Dictating
May 21, 2011

I'm going freaking nuts!  I am trying to transcribe a resident's dictation (bad enough), but she's smacking and chewing gum throughout the whole thing.  It's so loud that I can hardly make out what she's saying.  I don't very often rant and rave, but ... I DON'T GET PAID TO HEAR SOMEONE CHEW GUM!!!!   ...

RNs Dictating - GRrrrrr!
Apr 10, 2012

Okay, if you're going to have an RN, FNP, or PA dictate for you, at least make sure they know the terminology!    I just suffered through at 10 minute discharge summary on a patient post CVA, and this lady was reading the CT scan and MRI reports of the brain into the record with clearly no idea at all of what she was reading or what it meant or how to pronounce the parts of the brain.  Thank goodness I've been around long enough to be able to get and idea and fill in so ...

EATING WHILE DICTATING!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 03, 2012

SO SICK OF DICTATORS EATING HARD CANDY, CHEWING GUM AND EATING CRUNCHY FOOD WHILE DICTATING!!!!!!!!!! NERVE WRACKING AND TIME CONSUMING WHILE WAITING FOR THEM TO MOVE THEIR FOOD AROUND AND SWALLOW!!!  NOT TO MENTION THE RATTLING OF CHIP BAGS....HOW UNPROFESSIONAL CAN YOU GET?????????? ...

So The Doc Just Sneezed While She Was Dictating
Aug 13, 2012

The doc sneezes twice and I muttered to myself "God bless you."  Apparently someone in the office did, too, because then the doc said "thank you."  The timing was perfect and it made me laugh.   ...