A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Dare to be Concerned - The Little Engine

Posted: May 13, 2012

Dare to be a Daniel, Dare to stand alone! Dare to have a purpose firm! Dare to make it known.

"Never underestimate the power of a small group of people to change the world. In fact, it is the only way it ever has." Margaret Mead

I am part of this lawsuit because I want to  make a difference!  It is not about the money.  It is about saving our industry and receiving the respect for our professional knowledge that we have earned. 

Have you ever been in any kind of an abusive relationship?  Do most of these situations just go away on their own?  No.  They tend to get worse!! 

Even in cases of physical abuse, the most damaging element is not the damage that is done to the body (sitting in a chair all day long waiting for work), but the damage that is done to the human spirit--a damage that is dehumanizing and leaves its victims feeling confused, vulnerable, trapped, and worthless. See any similarities here?

So why do these people not protest or leave the abusive situation? 

There are 4 main reasons:

LOW SELF-ESTEEM  (my company does not owe me anything.  I am the one that should be loyal.  After all, "don't bite the hand of the one that is feeding you."  Have you ever heard of "Loyalty DOWN begets Loyalty UP?"  It is a 2-way street.  It is their contract to you know.

DENIAL (it is not really that bad.  After all, they do allow me to fudge my hours and even if they don't I am a hard worker and make it happen.  So, imagine what you would be making if you were paid as other professionals get paid???

FINANCIAL DEPENDENCY  (You do not understand.  I need this job.  It is all I have.  I am supporting my disabled husband, my extended family and on and on).  True.  What if our industry changes even more and takes that ability from you.  Then what?

WHERE WOULD I GO?  (Have you looked at the MT job market lately.  Things are sparse.  It is getting even more difficult to find other employment in this industry).  All the more reason to act NOW!

You know, I am only one person, but "I think I CAN.  I think I can.  I think I can.  I know I can!"  If I have to move this whole lot of garbage myself, 1 piece at a time, I WILL!!! 

I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES!!!  Why?  Because in my life I have seen not only one but 2 miracles!  My sons!!!  But that is another story.

I might be just a chunk of coal now, but I am going to be a diamond some day.  I refuse to cave in under the pressure!!!

I think I CAN!  I think I CAN!  I KNOW I CAN!

Please don't let ANY negative comments change your outlook - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You have definitively nailed the psychology of our situation. US MT's have suffered abuse at the hands of MTSO's over the past decade. MTSO's have shamelessly manipulated us to perform more and more work, for less and less money, threatening us with the "extinction" factor, and trying to shame us into being grateful for the pittance we're paid.

Self-esteem is key. We have nothing more to lose. We must fight this.

Your analogy to an abusive relationship is right on! - Bindi

[ In Reply To ..]
I can really relate to this, as I'm sure others will. Thanks for standing up!

so you can relate because you get no help - with mental issues?

[ In Reply To ..]
not following the whole drinking the Kool Aid issue logic.

Not following logic is just one reason why so many - MTs have allowed themselves - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
to be trapped and manipulated by the MTSO industry. Instead of using logic and reason to guide them, they instead bend to the pressures of fear and misinformation.

I'm so glad everyone posted their comments - suethemall

[ In Reply To ..]
Inspiring. Let's keep the momentum going, and build on it in fact!

you hijacked my analogy!! - youhaveissues

[ In Reply To ..]
I posted this analogy days ago to challenge YOU to get help. I see your mental illness and raise the stakes. Get some help.

http://forum.mtstars.com/397201.html

Are you okay?!?!? - The Little Engine

[ In Reply To ..]
Who was talking about mental illness? My analogy had to do with abuse, and this is the first time I have ever posted on MTStars. Did you end up with just a little too much sauce during that poker game?

Jeez, this person is a 5150 candidate.... freaking out - at the idea of a change for the better.

[ In Reply To ..]
Yet I'm sure if the suit is won, and others are filed, and things actually do start to improve in the MT business, then Lil Miss Issues will probably take the credit for that, as well.

Thank you, Little Engine. Your 4 reasons we accept abuse - show up in hundreds of posts each month. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

U R right - just look at all the women over on the Gab - Board who are in abusive relationships! (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
X

Man, why is everyone being so mean? - mtmom

[ In Reply To ..]
So you disagree with the lawsuit or someone's thoughts on why it should be done. Good. Move on. If you can't be constructive, stop talking on here. Man, some of you are just as abusive as the MTSOs being sued. Grow up people. You people being nasty to the ones that agree with the lawsuit are acting like a bunch of babies. If you don't like it, stop reading the posts. Duh.

I'd be willing to bet that even if the moderator - moved the lawsuit

[ In Reply To ..]
discussion to its own page, the Debbie Downers would take time out of their busy day to go over to it and insult the Courageous 13 for their efforts. Some people are just like that.

Similar Messages:

Do I Dare?
Mar 08, 2010

Hi, I have been away for a 1.5 years from Medquist, leaving only to go to another company with some flexibility as an IC (I was with MQ when we had statutory and loved it!) and have worked for MQ twice...I am now considering coming back. The company I left for merged with another and we lost our IC status. :( Then, I went to work for another company as an IC for only a few short weeks and hated it, lousy account, poor communication, etc. I was fairly happy with MQ prior, always had work, loved ...

How DARE You
Mar 20, 2015

I have had no less than 10 hospitals this morning, not one of them that I have EVER seen before. I messed up something and you have the NERVE to tell me, you have gotten emails about this. Well I checked the CP, if you can take the time to send an email, then CHANGE the CP. I don't have time to go in and out of email and actually LOOK for an email because there is not even a search feature in there..Is anyone else seriously half way out the door? With my line count this morning, should h ...

The Green Light Is On-do We Dare Try?
Oct 07, 2010

Well wonder if it is really up or not?  Anyone else get on? ...

Do I Dare Do The Upgrade From Fluency 7.2 To 7.3?
Feb 27, 2014

According to an MM communications email, we were supposed to upgrade to 7.3 by February 24 or we would not be able to log in. Well, it's past the 24th, and I can still log in. According to the version number, I am still on 7.2. Any additional problems with 7.3 that would make me have second thoughts about upgrading as instructed. According to the email, supposedly 7.3 upgrade would give fuzzy MD results and but nothing else was stated. ...

Dare Take Apart Infinity Foot Pedal?
Dec 16, 2009

I am wondering if my intermittent sound problems are due to ? dust/dirt in my foot pedal.  Should I try to take it apart?  any suggestions? ...

Should I Be Concerned About This?
Mar 08, 2010

Verizon Business has launched the Verizon Medical Data Exchange, a platform to exchange transcribed and digitized physician notes. The vendor developed the platform for the Medical Transcription Service Consortium, established last year by the Medical Transcription Industry Association and the ICSA Labs division of Verizon Business. Two transcription firm members of the consortium, MD-IT and MedQuist, are using the platform. The other vendor members--MxSecure, Sten-Tel and Webmedx--expect to be ...

Concerned Transcender
Apr 13, 2010

Are there any other Transcend MTs out here?   I have been running out of work more lately and my supervisor just tells me to come back on later ...... shouldn't we get out of work pay if we are scheduled to work and there is no work?   Do you know if we can work for Transcend as contractors rather than as an employee so we can have more flexibility?   I am at my wits end here and just don't know what to do. ...

100 New MT's Coming To M*M. Anyone Concerned
May 21, 2012

Is it just me, or would I be concerned 100+ folks are coming to M*M this week? Does anyone get concerned about this, such as going from FT to PT due to the pressure of tons of typists? ...

Concern Or Concerned???
Jan 06, 2015

He has not contacted her for a week and she feels concerned about him.   He has not contacted her for a week and she feels concern about him.   should this be changed to concerned?   ...

Have A Question For MTs Concerned About What Is About To Happen ... (sm)
Mar 04, 2010

I do not work for the Q, however, I have been trying to follow what is about to happen with the First Time Right protocol because I do have friends who work there, I am a MT with over 25 years experience and of course there is always concern that even though (in my opinion) this seems like a beyond crazy idea, it could possibly affect MTs everywhere eventually.  My question is this, (it may have been discussed already on this board, if so I apologize) with the new HITECH laws does this not ...

Is Anyone Else Concerned About Axolotl, Formerly Ingenix And Now Optuminsight??
Oct 11, 2011

I am sorry to bring this up here, but I just wanted to know if anyone else who works for Optuminsight, or Axolotl is concerned about where the transcription portion of the company is going?  I have noticed the workload has diminshed significantly since the takeover.  There have been people who have been there for a significant amount of time retiring or quitting.  Even the Optuminsight website says nothing about transcription nor does United Health Group.  The letter to the c ...

Nuance What Is Going On? For All New Or Existing Employees Concerned
May 04, 2012

To all concerned. I was a Webber(WMX). I was proud of that fact and have done very well in the past 10 years with WMX. I'm very fast and produce quality reports at the same time an employee who works their shift.To the best of my knowledge this corporate company Nuance has been buying the world (so it seems) in medical transcription services and I know when we at WMX were bought out we were told how our production would increase leaps and bounds with escription over m*modal and and D.N.S. ...

Shorthand License Renewal, Should We Be Concerned
Jan 05, 2013

. ...

Going Solo-concerned About Some Previous Posts Ive Read
Jan 05, 2010

I am working on starting up my own MT business (as you have maybe seen by some of the other posts I have sent) and I have been reading some of the latest posts and have seen discussions about this being a dying business and I have seen many people are getting out of this field and venturing elsewhere.  Up until the  holidays, I was making a great living and I guess with the holidays underway, I am still waiting on work.  I thought that this would have picked up by now but I have n ...

From A Dialup Employee Who LIKES 6.1, And I Am More Concerned Now About Crackdown On Required To Sen
Sep 15, 2010

Okay, enough already my dear friends and colleagues.   This "mutiny" has gone on far enough to long.   I was  very concerned because I am one of those who has dial up.   I am used to slow response time, and YES it has affected my production because of waiting.   So, I was very, very worried.  I did have to take my MQ computer to my parents and use their DSL to do the training and the download of the 6.1.   Support was great, they found ...

Gastro Doc Says " I Am Concerned Regarding S/l "profya" Given His Gray-colored Stool.
Feb 10, 2010