A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Should I be concerned about this? - Verizon Business and Medquist

Posted: Mar 08, 2010

Verizon Business has launched the Verizon Medical Data Exchange, a platform to exchange transcribed and digitized physician notes. The vendor developed the platform for the Medical Transcription Service Consortium, established last year by the Medical Transcription Industry Association and the ICSA Labs division of Verizon Business. Two transcription firm members of the consortium, MD-IT and MedQuist, are using the platform. The other vendor members--MxSecure, Sten-Tel and Webmedx--expect to be on by August. The five firms support 350,000 physicians, 2,700 clinics and 2,500 hospitals.

http://www.healthdatamanagement.com/news/himss_conference_vendor_news-39913-1.html

I  have the funny feeling that MQ wants us to look like bad MT's.  Wants the clients and hospitals to get mad at us with this First time Right and leaving blanks in reports.  I bet it is MQ way to say to the clients, "Hey, transcription is not good anymore and you need to have the new EPIC and ASR to be done for you." 

I think you just nailed that right on the darn head. - agree

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope they lose the clients because of their dirty practices and the clients choose someone else to get their Epic from.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the Q burns in a firey H E double hockey stick!

Verizon and Medquist - cmmcd472

[ In Reply To ..]
To me, it sounds as if it is a more secure way to send and receive confidental information rather than having it sent over the Internet.

How does this make you look bad?

How does it make us look bad? - By getting rid of us?

[ In Reply To ..]
Explains MedQuist Chief Operating Officer Michael Clark, "By integrating MedQuist's DocQment Enterprise Platform® (DEP) with the new features of Epic's Hyperspace Client, the richness of template-driven text can be combined with the otherwise freestyle nature of dictation in DEP. Physicians can now easily create a more comprehensive clinical note that automatically incorporates both voice input and structured text through a single application.

* Meets physician workflow demands, increasing physician adoption and satisfaction;
* Can reduce the overall cost of documentation by more than 50 percent; and
* In certain instances, can completely eliminate dictation.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/medquist-launches-ehr-integration-for-dictations-associated-with-template-based-clinical-documentation-85476462.html

So what else is new - My own hospital/PCP is using EMR - already. And MQ is getting

[ In Reply To ..]
rid of us one way or another. For sure.

We cost too much money and they want the money all for themselves.

What little will be left after EMR, the happy little Indians will take.

They accept a pay way lower than ours.
God help us if any of this new technology fails. - mrs.krabs
[ In Reply To ..]
We'll all be up sh**s creek if it does.
Yup. - We will.
[ In Reply To ..]
But that is the way it is. They say all the satellites that carry all our transmissions for the computers, television, cell phones, etc., will all be failing in a couple of years. If that is true, it will be very interesting to see what happens.

And to think we all lived well without any computers, cell phones and EMR for years and years.

Wonder how we did it?

But then again, I guess one can say paper charts are just as easy to destroy (fire, flood, misplaced/lost) as electronic records.

Years and years ago I worked for a group of physicians. Patient charts were coming up missing quite often. It ended up there were over 100 charts absolutely missing.

Well, due to a tip from one of the office people who saw a certain old doctor leave with a chart under his arm, the head of the practice took a couple of us out to this MDs house. He confronted the MD about the charts, and the MD was very surprised, but then he said he felt ashamed and embarassed. He said yes, he had the charts, he led us to them. On the way we passed his cute little doggy, who was laying real comfy in his little doggy bed, ON TOP OF ABOUT A DOZEN CHARTS! Most were chewed up! Then we kept going -- into this docs BEDROOM! There, he lifted up the mattress AND THERE WERE THE CHARTS! ALL OF THEM! (He was a really old guy and I think he was a bit forgetful at this point.) He said he would take the charts home to dictate, then would forget to bring them back in the next day and just kept going through that vicious cycle.

Well, needless to say there was a new rule posted that no more charts go home with the MDs!

Wouldn't HIPAA have a field day with that situation today?

I really liked that doctor too, he was really kind and sweet.

But there you go. Glad I wasn't the file clerk!
That was too funny! - mrs.krabs
[ In Reply To ..]
I was going to say check the doctor's desk/office. I used to work for an orthopedic doctor. He asked me to drop him off at the airport one day after work to catch a flight to a conference. He dictated all 25 or more charts all the way to the airport (about 20 miles)and then he left all of them in the front floorboard of my car for me to return to the office the next day since they weren't supposed to be "removed" from the office. Talk about feeling uncomfortable having all that confidential info in my car. I did lock the car and we did live in a pretty safe neighborhood, but still things happen and they could have been stolen. I do have to say that I was amazed at what he could remember about all of these patients and their office visits. The guy was a risk-taker, played squash (yes, I said squash teehee)loved "trainwrecks" (hard cases) and now works and does research in a teaching hospital.
Now - days . .
[ In Reply To ..]
HIPAA guidelines would require that you take the charts in the house with you and wear a monitoring bracelet at all times not to be removed until you get back to the office with those charts!

It is amazing what went on back in the day with all this patient information. I am sure there are many more old stories out there that would make my wig spin.

I read somewhere that in Europe the hospitals don't even keep a chart on a patient -- you have to keep your own chart! Not sure if that is true but that is what I heard.

I guess with EMR the docs will be able to sit home and just pull up the chart electronically -- and family pets will be left out of the equation!! No paper treats for Fido!! Haahaa!
Good one! - mrs.krabs
[ In Reply To ..]
In-house arrest you say? I'd be like Madea in Diary of a Mad Black Woman and put it on the dog's leg. Damn, isn't that what MQ is doing now with that freaking electronic punch clock?

Verizon and MQ - BlackBerry Gal

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you are right. Any way MQ can find to rip off the MT, they will do. I would like to use my Verizon-enabled BB to send the CEO of MQ a text, the message of which cannot be printed here, so use your imagination!

Similar Messages:

Concerned Transcender
Apr 13, 2010

Are there any other Transcend MTs out here?   I have been running out of work more lately and my supervisor just tells me to come back on later ...... shouldn't we get out of work pay if we are scheduled to work and there is no work?   Do you know if we can work for Transcend as contractors rather than as an employee so we can have more flexibility?   I am at my wits end here and just don't know what to do. ...

Dare To Be Concerned
May 13, 2012

Dare to be a Daniel, Dare to stand alone! Dare to have a purpose firm! Dare to make it known.   "Never underestimate the power of a small group of people to change the world. In fact, it is the only way it ever has." Margaret Mead   I am part of this lawsuit because I want to  make a difference!  It is not about the money.  It is about saving our industry and receiving the respect for our professional knowledge that we have earned.    Have you ever been ...

100 New MT's Coming To M*M. Anyone Concerned
May 21, 2012

Is it just me, or would I be concerned 100+ folks are coming to M*M this week? Does anyone get concerned about this, such as going from FT to PT due to the pressure of tons of typists? ...

Concern Or Concerned???
Jan 06, 2015

He has not contacted her for a week and she feels concerned about him.   He has not contacted her for a week and she feels concern about him.   should this be changed to concerned?   ...

Have A Question For MTs Concerned About What Is About To Happen ... (sm)
Mar 04, 2010

I do not work for the Q, however, I have been trying to follow what is about to happen with the First Time Right protocol because I do have friends who work there, I am a MT with over 25 years experience and of course there is always concern that even though (in my opinion) this seems like a beyond crazy idea, it could possibly affect MTs everywhere eventually.  My question is this, (it may have been discussed already on this board, if so I apologize) with the new HITECH laws does this not ...

Is Anyone Else Concerned About Axolotl, Formerly Ingenix And Now Optuminsight??
Oct 11, 2011

I am sorry to bring this up here, but I just wanted to know if anyone else who works for Optuminsight, or Axolotl is concerned about where the transcription portion of the company is going?  I have noticed the workload has diminshed significantly since the takeover.  There have been people who have been there for a significant amount of time retiring or quitting.  Even the Optuminsight website says nothing about transcription nor does United Health Group.  The letter to the c ...

Nuance What Is Going On? For All New Or Existing Employees Concerned
May 04, 2012

To all concerned. I was a Webber(WMX). I was proud of that fact and have done very well in the past 10 years with WMX. I'm very fast and produce quality reports at the same time an employee who works their shift.To the best of my knowledge this corporate company Nuance has been buying the world (so it seems) in medical transcription services and I know when we at WMX were bought out we were told how our production would increase leaps and bounds with escription over m*modal and and D.N.S. ...

Shorthand License Renewal, Should We Be Concerned
Jan 05, 2013

. ...

Going Solo-concerned About Some Previous Posts Ive Read
Jan 05, 2010

I am working on starting up my own MT business (as you have maybe seen by some of the other posts I have sent) and I have been reading some of the latest posts and have seen discussions about this being a dying business and I have seen many people are getting out of this field and venturing elsewhere.  Up until the  holidays, I was making a great living and I guess with the holidays underway, I am still waiting on work.  I thought that this would have picked up by now but I have n ...

From A Dialup Employee Who LIKES 6.1, And I Am More Concerned Now About Crackdown On Required To Sen
Sep 15, 2010

Okay, enough already my dear friends and colleagues.   This "mutiny" has gone on far enough to long.   I was  very concerned because I am one of those who has dial up.   I am used to slow response time, and YES it has affected my production because of waiting.   So, I was very, very worried.  I did have to take my MQ computer to my parents and use their DSL to do the training and the download of the 6.1.   Support was great, they found ...

Gastro Doc Says " I Am Concerned Regarding S/l "profya" Given His Gray-colored Stool.
Feb 10, 2010