A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Have a question for MTs concerned about what is about to happen ... (sm) - anon

Posted: Mar 04, 2010

I do not work for the Q, however, I have been trying to follow what is about to happen with the First Time Right protocol because I do have friends who work there, I am a MT with over 25 years experience and of course there is always concern that even though (in my opinion) this seems like a beyond crazy idea, it could possibly affect MTs everywhere eventually. 

My question is this, (it may have been discussed already on this board, if so I apologize) with the new HITECH laws does this not open the door even further for MTs to be sued in some manner? 

I really wish you all the very best!

You know what it does in all honesty? - It puts the responsibility where it belongs

[ In Reply To ..]
Which is the dictator themselves. After 20 years, I have seen this come full tilt. When I started transcribing at a local hospital, we asked the person who dictated the report for clarification.

If the report constantly goes to QA which I think is overrated and they guess too and make mistakes too or delete the blank entirely to suit, the dictator is never aware there was even an issue.

If the client has to fill in their own blanks, they will start to sit up and realize.

I have accounts where I am allowed to leave a time marker for the client. This is how it should be. We are MTs not physicians. The person signing off on that report is ultimately responsible for its content, not the MT. That's why the dictators initials come first, and the MT's initials are in small case letters.

I do not work for the Q and never will ever!!!!!!!!!!!

I Agree... - obsoleteMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I do agree with you for the most part. The physicians need to take responsibility and use more care when dictating. I usually have more difficulty with American dictators who are just talking too fast and slurring everything together than I do with most foreign dictators. There are times where no one on the planet can send a report through with no blanks. I have been doing this almost 30 years, started in a hospital ER, and it was so nice to go straight to the source and ask them what they were trying to say. I had one doctor who kept pronouncing Brudzinski as "Bardinsky". I didn't like to guess then and I still don't.

Now about the QA stuff - and no stones please - I started with Q as an MT, and back when evaluations meant something, got continual raises and was making a decent line rate. Then I transitioned to QA, which I loved because it made me feel good to think I helped the MT perhaps learn something new by providing them feedback, and I always liked to think I was helping provide a more accurate patient record. I did not nit pick or guess and I like to think I was very fair. I knew what the MTs were dealing with since I had been in their shoes. We really are all working for the same goal here, and we are all human. Considering the volume of work we all try to produce, we all make mistakes. They (Q) have made it all about saving the company money, and they have forgotten that the MTs are the foundation for their billion dollar company, and yet they keep cutting and cutting our pay, and now penalizing us if we dare leave a blank. Give me a break. Who comes up with this stuff - one of their new VPs who is making six figures? They don't have a clue.

Again, and remember no stones please, last year I was "promoted" to CTL, which happened to come with much more work and stress, and guess what, much less pay. They did some "calculations" for production pay, which was much less than I made before I was a QA. Then they did away with that job title, and guess what, they calculated again and paid me even less per line. Right now I'm making about what I was making in the 1980s. I also now get feedback from other MMEs if I leave blanks, and I see why the MTs are complaining. Sometimes it makes me so mad - some of the stuff they are putting in that was in no way what the dictator said. Like I said, I don't guess and I don't like them just making up stuff for a report that has my initials on it. The QA submission thing sucks. It's not fair to us at all. Like I said, it's all just another way for them to pay us less. I do love transcription and pictured myself doing it until I was old and gray(er) and retirement age. Unfortunately, I don't think that's in the cards. As soon as I am able, I plan on making a career change. Good luck to you and all the other MTs on here.

Similar Messages:

Should I Be Concerned About This?
Mar 08, 2010

Verizon Business has launched the Verizon Medical Data Exchange, a platform to exchange transcribed and digitized physician notes. The vendor developed the platform for the Medical Transcription Service Consortium, established last year by the Medical Transcription Industry Association and the ICSA Labs division of Verizon Business. Two transcription firm members of the consortium, MD-IT and MedQuist, are using the platform. The other vendor members--MxSecure, Sten-Tel and Webmedx--expect to be ...

Concerned Transcender
Apr 13, 2010

Are there any other Transcend MTs out here?   I have been running out of work more lately and my supervisor just tells me to come back on later ...... shouldn't we get out of work pay if we are scheduled to work and there is no work?   Do you know if we can work for Transcend as contractors rather than as an employee so we can have more flexibility?   I am at my wits end here and just don't know what to do. ...

Dare To Be Concerned
May 13, 2012

Dare to be a Daniel, Dare to stand alone! Dare to have a purpose firm! Dare to make it known.   "Never underestimate the power of a small group of people to change the world. In fact, it is the only way it ever has." Margaret Mead   I am part of this lawsuit because I want to  make a difference!  It is not about the money.  It is about saving our industry and receiving the respect for our professional knowledge that we have earned.    Have you ever been ...

100 New MT's Coming To M*M. Anyone Concerned
May 21, 2012

Is it just me, or would I be concerned 100+ folks are coming to M*M this week? Does anyone get concerned about this, such as going from FT to PT due to the pressure of tons of typists? ...

Concern Or Concerned???
Jan 06, 2015

He has not contacted her for a week and she feels concerned about him.   He has not contacted her for a week and she feels concern about him.   should this be changed to concerned?   ...

Is Anyone Else Concerned About Axolotl, Formerly Ingenix And Now Optuminsight??
Oct 11, 2011

I am sorry to bring this up here, but I just wanted to know if anyone else who works for Optuminsight, or Axolotl is concerned about where the transcription portion of the company is going?  I have noticed the workload has diminshed significantly since the takeover.  There have been people who have been there for a significant amount of time retiring or quitting.  Even the Optuminsight website says nothing about transcription nor does United Health Group.  The letter to the c ...

Nuance What Is Going On? For All New Or Existing Employees Concerned
May 04, 2012

To all concerned. I was a Webber(WMX). I was proud of that fact and have done very well in the past 10 years with WMX. I'm very fast and produce quality reports at the same time an employee who works their shift.To the best of my knowledge this corporate company Nuance has been buying the world (so it seems) in medical transcription services and I know when we at WMX were bought out we were told how our production would increase leaps and bounds with escription over m*modal and and D.N.S. ...

Shorthand License Renewal, Should We Be Concerned
Jan 05, 2013

. ...

Going Solo-concerned About Some Previous Posts Ive Read
Jan 05, 2010

I am working on starting up my own MT business (as you have maybe seen by some of the other posts I have sent) and I have been reading some of the latest posts and have seen discussions about this being a dying business and I have seen many people are getting out of this field and venturing elsewhere.  Up until the  holidays, I was making a great living and I guess with the holidays underway, I am still waiting on work.  I thought that this would have picked up by now but I have n ...

From A Dialup Employee Who LIKES 6.1, And I Am More Concerned Now About Crackdown On Required To Sen
Sep 15, 2010

Okay, enough already my dear friends and colleagues.   This "mutiny" has gone on far enough to long.   I was  very concerned because I am one of those who has dial up.   I am used to slow response time, and YES it has affected my production because of waiting.   So, I was very, very worried.  I did have to take my MQ computer to my parents and use their DSL to do the training and the download of the 6.1.   Support was great, they found ...

Has Anyone Ever Had This Happen?
Apr 01, 2010

Pass your transcription test and have the recruiter say that she will call you at a certain time for an interview and then never call? ...

Has Anyone Had This Happen.....
Nov 12, 2010

Hi, don't know if this is the right place to ask, but two mornings in a row, I have received this in my Hotmail "junk" mail box.  It says "Private Notice" and the subject line says "YOU'RE DEAD."  Of course I haven't opened these and sent them directly to "delete."  Does anyone know if there's a new virus or worm or something going around like this?  Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them?  I've googled and checked Norton and McAfe ...

Anybody Have This Happen?
Mar 11, 2011

It seems like I am always changed to a different account whenever we have an incentive program going on. Is that their way of telling me they do not want me to make any extra money, not that I make much now, LOL. ...

Does This Happen To You...
Jan 23, 2012

You see a job listing, and when you click on it and read the description you think, "Hey, I can do that!"  You even think or know that you would enjoy doing that kind of work. Then you register and begin the online application process.  It's 29 pages, with every single detail about your jobs for the past 10 years REQUIRED/MANDATORY fields! You either begin the process with good intentions, but after a while you have a headache and tire of it so give up and either aband ...

Ever Happen To Anyone Else?
Jan 28, 2012

I edited a report in which I changed leukoesterase to leuk esterase, however, when I went to upload, spellcheck found "leukoesterase" which no longer was visible in the report (at least not what was on my screen!).  I went back in and deleted the whole word, then put it in again as two separate distinct words and that time, spellcheck accepted it.   But what worries me is does this occur other times?  Are our edits somehow NOT being recognized on the other end?  Heaven know ...

What Is Going To Happen To Me If My QA Is 99.3%
Apr 24, 2012

I have never had this much trouble before doing my job.  I will have 99% on those FIESA and then 1 report will be a C and my QA averages out to a "C" 99.3%.  What happens if I never get a score higher than that?  Fire me?   Cool beans!  Need a vacation anyway !!!    Seriously, what the hell is this QC crap?   How can FEISA be A, B or sometimes a C and the QC score is super low???? I think it's just so they don't have to pay bonuse ...

Does Anyone Happen To Know The Name Of The
May 16, 2012

person who owns Fast Chart?  I am going to report the things that have been going on to them. Of course, I tried that at another place (DSG) and it did no good.  Not one good place to work anymore:(( ...

How Did This Happen.....
Sep 05, 2012

How did we get to this point? I have been an MT for 35 years and how did we let our profession turn into the slave labor it has become. This used to be a great job, good pay and well respected. I read these boards and see all the complaints about low pay, no pay, no work, etc. and it makes me physically ill. But, I also know nothing will change if WE collectively do not demand and force change. I know people need their jobs and need money, I do too but at what cost? How long will we allow t ...

Wonder What Would Happen
Feb 09, 2013

Now I'll admit it would be a lot less interesting, but at least it wouldn't be so volatile all the time.  Sometimes I leave here just feeling like crap, even when I'm not involved, just from reading all the fighting going on. ...

Does This Happen With Anyone Else?
Feb 18, 2014

I've always been one of the ones who has been fairly comfortable with my job performance ... I'm a high producer and have always passed all my audits so I'm one that comes here to give support, and offer tips when they're warranted.  But, I just failed my last audit and now my confidence is completely shaken.  Before I log on to work I get butterflies, and feel a wave of "dread" come over me that makes me want to never log on to this company again.  I know ... ...

What Would Happen If?
Apr 17, 2014

I wonder what would happen if I didn't answer any emails anymore? I've been questioning my QC person about what I've been finding on feedback and got back a rather snarky e-mail about how I should know certain things, etc. How can I know when I get dinged for doing something by one person and dinged by another person for doing the same thing correctly? Can anyone who is QA tell WHY aren't you all on the same page. Everyone of you dings differently. Don't you have co ...

I Knew It Would Happen
Nov 25, 2009

I knew that sooner or later one of these Indian ESLs would revert back into speaking in their own tongue.  I suspected that before but it was just their way of speaking English.  I couldn't believe it when this guy today, midsentence, started talking in his Indian dialect.  He laughed at himself, embarassed, then continued in English.  I didn't find it funny. ...

So What's Gonna Happen To All The MME's?
Mar 03, 2010

Has anyone heard, been given notice, going back to MT'ing?? ...

Company Pay, This Ever Happen To Anyone Else?
Mar 19, 2010

So, I NEED a job!  I have one, but we are ALWAYS out of work and I need some supplemental income.  I apply for a full-time job (other job is IC) and it is Monday through Friday, full benefits, etc.  He ASKS me to tell him what I plan to make and I know lately everyone seems to be wanting to pay no more than 8 cpl and I WANTED the Monday through Friday, any hours, etc that the job offered, so I told him 8 cpl with spaces.  You know what?  He emails me back and says great, ...

I Did Not Want Lockdown To Happen,
Jul 15, 2010

My group is not in lockdown yet.  I have been dreading it.  It seems like chaos and this was making me want to quit.  Although, these last 2 weeks, I have been on the other side where people have been jumping on and taking my work.  Just found out that some MT's are supposed to work 12-24 hours a week and instead, they have been putting in anywhere from 28-48 hours in ONE week.  I work in the evenings and kept running out of work at 11PM!!!  What?  Just m ...

I Said It Woudn't Happen But...
Feb 28, 2011

We were just informed that our facility is considering sending as much of 80% of its coding to India to cut costs.  They would keep only the most difficult work here in the US.  And so the downhill slide appears to be beginning.   Our company has informed us that most new clients are asking for an offshore option so as to cut the costs of coding.  I guess it is on to something new once again!  ...

Well It Was Bound To Happen.
May 21, 2012

Well I've been reading about it. Looks like it might happen in my neck of the woods now.  I work in a radiology department in a hospital where I get a semi-decent hourly wage plus incentive pay and it turns out to be a pretty decent job for me. We are short-staffed due to the inability to find qualified help or even just "trainable help" these days. I just got word that if we cannot keep up with our workload, it will be outsourced. My boss just told me within the last six months and s ...

Did Something Happen To MTDesk?
Dec 07, 2012

very long time.  When I checked it out today, it seemed like all the posts were really old.  Maybe I was doing something wrong.  ...

Has Anyone Heard About What Will Happen
Mar 09, 2014

I heard that there are approximately 500 billion XPs still in operation, way more than Microsoft estimated. Does anyone know if we're supposed to buy new PCs or if they'll be supplied? If we have to buy them, I'm toast. I frankly don't have the money and won't have it unless they give back what they stole. ...

If We Had A Union, This Would Not Happen, Sm.
Dec 17, 2014

I have always thought that if we had a union, companies could not get away with this behavior.  So why don't we have a union to represent us, any thoughts? ...