A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Banging my head against the wall - over points off for commas

Posted: Feb 27, 2012

I keep getting dinged for comma usage, and I'm not one to overuse them, though I fully support the use of an Oxford comma.  I am old school, and I've been taught the following about commas

1)  They go before a conjunction when what could be complete sentence follows.

2)  They do not go before or after (unless there is a strange circumstance, i.e, "indeed" or some such wording thrown in) a conjunction w/o a complete sentence following it.

My hospitals are "modified verbatim," meaning correct grammar and make complete sentences when possible.  I keep getting my commas deleted and others added, thereby taking anywhere from 0.25 to 1 point off my score simply because we disagree on comma placement.  Do you guys think I'm just stirring or am I right to defend myself?  I was an English major, BTW, before I went into sports medicine.

commas - mauigirl

[ In Reply To ..]
had the same thing happen to me...been doing this job for 15 years! I think they would concentrate more on accuracy and not so much commas...

same thing here, never mind I spend time researching some new cancer protocol, etc. nm - samehere

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Commas - Lucy

[ In Reply To ..]
I too was an English major. I had to memorize the rules for commas and semicolons in school and was taught by an English PhD who was fabulous. I had the same thing happen to me by QA. Did it every occur to you that QA can be wrong? Every time they did that to me, I recited the rule for the comma I used. I tend not to overuse commans but then again it can be a matter of opinion when you are using a comman to prevent misreading in a sentence. I even went and reviewed all of the rules of comman usage in case there were some cobwebs in my brain only to find out I was right and QA was wrong. Not to get on the wrong side of QA which can be bad also, because sometimes they think they are the "queens" of the English language, but after that they left me alone. If you defend yourself just be absolutely sure you are correct. Maybe then they will learn something from you and leave you alone.

Commas - Lucy

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, meant commma and not comman. Not awake yet - work nights.

Does your employer follow the BOS at all? - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
I know most of the time it's more of a pain than not, but what you have cited here is EXACTLY what the BOS says (section 6.2.3 Independent Clauses).

Is this something worth bringing to the attention of your QA supervisor?

If it was a one-off thing, I'd ignore it, but if this is pretty consistent and you know you are correct and have the literature to back you up, then I'd definitely address it. Depending on where you work, that point score may mean the difference between a passing QA score or not.

Thanks from OP - Grammar girl

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm trying to defend myself, and I've only been marked off for one real issue in 6 months, yet commas and insertion of "a, and, the," etc., is another problem. We are supposed to make complete sentences when possible. I really can't see how to do that w/o adding a word like that here and there. THANKS, again, to my fellow grammar-lovers.

QA - mt3

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm far from a Grammar Queen. However, when it comes to QA remember they really are human too. If you cite a reference (book, page, etc) and include your team lead/manager on the email, ASKING FOR CLARIFICATION (not declaring QA to be incorrect), you might find it easier to work this issue out.

I have rare interaction with QA. When I do, however, if there is something I disagree with, I will either provide them with a reference or ask that they provide me with one.

Of course, this depends on who you work for. The Giantitis companies really don't have a clue what the left hand is doing while the right is marking things incorrect.

See message - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
I say if the comma does not change the meaning of the sentence or affect patient's care then it shouldn't be counted off for.

A heads up maybe or an FYI, but no need to deduct points. As the other posters said, QA can be wrong sometimes too.

The way I see it.. - if QA is taking off for

[ In Reply To ..]
you, they are likely doing it to every MT, so you are not being singled out for special harassment.

A long time ago I did QA and got a little bit over-zelous on the commas with only the best intentions, thinking I was helping the MTs make a better product. I learned fast that this was an uphill battle, with commas being the least of the worries of a lot of them.

Bottom line: I wouldn't even worry about it unless they are threatening to fire you or dock your pay, and if that's the case they'll probably find something anyway no matter how hard you try.

QA and commas - MT Mom

[ In Reply To ..]
Is the trend leaning towards companies (IC and employers) firing MTs for what "they" deem as improper comma use? It seems like more and more companies are not only looking for correct terminology, etc., but they are counting off on inappropriate comma usage, or lack thereof, as major mistakes, thus lowering the QA score for the report below 98% in some instances. Not all MTs have been trained the same way or are on the same page as far as what is the correct way for punctuation. Maybe there should be a standard set that all companies must abide by to make life easier for not only the MTs, but for everyone involved in processing the reports...just a thought.

QA - Addison

[ In Reply To ..]
QA really gets to me sometimes when they worry about such petty nonsense. Last week, I typed there WERE no signs of infection, and QA changed it to there ARE no signs of infection. REALLY!!?? Maybe QA misheard and I didn't. Sheesh!!

Addison, - Had the same thing happen

[ In Reply To ..]
The patient had expired, so I was typing all verbs in past tense (dude's dead so I'm pretty sure he doesn't still have colitis). "Was" was changed to "is" repeatedly.

Same Thing - Addison

[ In Reply To ..]
In either case, I'm pretty sure it doesn't really make a difference one way or another, and I doubt the doctor would even care. I've also had sutures WERE removed today changed to sutures ARE removed today.

Commas - me

[ In Reply To ..]
First let me say I have been a QA person for well over 20 years, recently bumped out when company sold because I made too much more than the new company's QA people. I took a straight typing job with a company and this incredibly young, very little experience typing put in a QA position sent me CRITICAL ERRORS when I sent a blank! I told the supervisor this is not how I treated my people and it is not correct. Blanks, commas, she rearranged words, you name it.

To "me" - R-E-S-P-E-C-T for you!

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm fortunate not to have the problem w/ blanks (unless it's a completely stupid move on my part and QA can get it in seconds). I have so much respect for you in being that fair. I really mean no disrespect for QA's as they have an important job to do, and he!!, yes, I love input when I don't get something. Difference is that I know when I don't know something. I just think much of it comes down to simple common sense. Either you get it or you don't, and if you don't, isn't it better to ask. You rock, ME.

From OP - Thanks! sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm definitely (or defiantly or definately, depending on which social network one uses) NOT perfect. I'm also very opened minded and will not argue when I did something stupid. I just don't feel that, in most cases, an extra comma can kill a patient.

That said, do any of you wk for a provider who has their own macros you pull in? If so, when you find something grammatically incorrect, spelling wrong, sentence structure wrong, etc., do you correct it? Wondering if now I could be marked off for correcting run-on sentences built into the macros.

re macro corrections - hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
If I pull in a macro and found Tuohy needle spelled Tuouhy, *that* I correct. Otherwise, I leave it alone. You don't know who loaded that macro, QA or the doc (it should allllways go through QA, but go figure when it doesn't). In any event, we are but lowly MTs and changing run-on sentences in macros is not our primary concern (yes, I heard your fingernails on the blackboard when I said that).

Commas - NTS MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Didn't read all the posts, but if your are working for NTS, that is how they get you...commas. It is an easy way for them not to pay out bonuses. If you don't, you should have and if you do, you shouldn't have. I battle with my lead all the time about it.
I hear ya. - nuance2
[ In Reply To ..]
I am just doing my job the best I can. QA job is to NOT let you get bonuses. I've been a MT for 30 years. I'm working now while I job hunt for something different.

I don't change run-on sentences. - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Only misspelled words. I also do not check punctuation. Already getting paid crap for VR. Not about to waste more time checking macros.

Yes I do. - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I ALWAYS check the macros. A lot of them have erros and if you don't correct them, you will be marked off for that. You'd think the higher ups would go through them and correct each one but guess I'm dreaming. They're waaay to busy with their jobs to help us.

Re: Banging head... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You should absolutely document and report to higher-ups any QA who wastes everyone's time (plus the money her company is paying her for wages) on petty nit-picking and hair-splitting over trivialities that do not affect meaning. This is not the purpose of QA, and those who indulge in this are demonstrating that they are on a ''power trip'' and have no business being in QA in the first place.

Similar Messages:

Nuance Is Like Beating Your Head Against A Wall
Aug 17, 2011

Both feel so good when you just stop. I gave them a shot but I just cannot take it anymore.   It's like being set up to fail on a daily basis.  ...

Up Against The Wall
Apr 11, 2010

No viable options.  STUCK!   Can't move.  Can't progress.   Can't do work.  Don't know what to do AT ALL.  Signed off my shift in exactly this situation.  This happened a couple of nights ago.  Now it's being demanded that I sign a Written Warning which mis-states the cause for action, and I have refused to sign it.  Conference call on Monday.  Details follow: Never ONE TIME in over ten years of working for Med ...

Hitting A Wall
Apr 20, 2010

I am having such difficulty concentrating today.  All these ASR charts with at least 4-5 corrections per sentence.  What a waste.  Probably minimum wage today.  My dog used to listen to me vent when no one else was around, wagged her tail and put her head on my lap as I typed, but she had to be put down in Feb:( Sorry, just needed to vent to someone who understands, unlike my DH, kids and all my friends who think I have a great job working at home!  I guess it ...

I Think The Writing Is On The Wall For Me
Dec 04, 2012

Okay, so I know what has been happening the past few months, but since it didn't affect me directly, I just kinda put it out of my mind.  But since the first of the month, my BOB is out of work during my shift (late afternoon/early evening).  This has never happened before.  Wondering if it is because daytime people are switching to later hours or my work is going overseas?  Not NJA yet, just unfamiliar work for the majority of my shift.  If this is how it's go ...

Canal Wall Down
Dec 31, 2012

Is "canal wall down" ever hyphenated? ...

DocQScribe 6.1 - The Writing Is On The Wall!
Sep 03, 2010

I just took the online training today and did my first reports using 6.1.  The writing is definitely on the wall.  They are on their way to eliminating the need for MT's.  It's just a matter of time.  We are tightening our own noose every time we edit one of those reports.  This is definitely a catch-22. ...

Occupy Wall Street
Oct 14, 2011

Would YOU like to join me in the worldwide Occupy Wall Street movement?  We will participate in our respective locales.  We have had a lot of talk about organizing a walk-out day on the MTSOs.  Let's take this opportunity to meet while at the same time pooling our efforts with others who share similar struggles as us!  Let's dispense with the talking and start doing and put our money where our mouths are.  If you are interested in joining me, by all ...

I'm Hitting The Proverbial Wall
Nov 11, 2014

Lately, I've been checking my hourly production, every hour on the hour.  For my first hour of work this morning, I stayed completely focused, no distractions except getting a quick cup of coffee (in the same room as my work desk) but quickly sat right back down again and went right back to work.  What was my hourly rate of production for that hour?  $7.42.  Yes, I said I earned a whopping $7.42 in a solid hour of intense concentration and focus.  I also noticed ...

Tuwal, 2-wall, Toowal Protocol?
May 18, 2015

Patient hospitalized with pancratitis, pancytopenia with macrocytosis, alcohol withdrawal, hypophosphatemia, hypoalbuminemia & macrocytic anemia.  S/L "2-wall protocol". Thanks for suggestions.  ...

Op Note: Colon Was S/l *socked* To Abdominal Wall Nm
Jul 21, 2011

full context:  There was no evidence of intraabdominal contamination, although the sigmoid colon was socked to the left lateral abdominal wall. Is that right, socked? ...

The Writing Is On The Wall. Article From Researchers Regarding Outsourcing.
Feb 25, 2013

I have been doing transcription for almost 2 decades, pretty soon my children in their early 20s will be making more money than I am, made decision to go back to school in my 40s for a new career, no choice.  Clip from article. "US corporations justify their offshore operations as essential to gain a foothold in emerging Asian markets. The Hira brothers believe this is self-delusion. “There is no evidence that they will be able to outcompete local Chinese and Indian companies, ...

Interesting - Check Out The Info On Occupying Wall Street
Oct 06, 2011

This is interesting info:  insiders/morningstar.com shows "MQ suit earnings"    Name/Title   2005 2006 2007 2008 2009                                 Key Executive Compensation   - - 292,707 1,485,258 2,858,899                   Salary   - - 229,250 810 ...

A Wall * Washren* Abnormality Consistent With An Acute Myocardial Infarction. Thanks. Nm
May 14, 2010

nm ...

Tenderness To Palpation In The Right Anterior Medial Chest Wall. Is It Anteromedial Or As Typed? T
Mar 27, 2011

xx ...

Mit Or M-head Or ....
Oct 15, 2009

Under the indications for procedure heading, the doctor says " _____ is a 26-year-old female..." It almost sounds like Mit or Med or Mhead....any ideas? At first I thought maybe "Man" but its a female. ...

HEAD UP NJA
Jul 21, 2010

I read EVERYDAY about ppl on this board having no jobs at the Q, not being able to contact their CCM or RTL to get work.  I got a phone call (not an e-mail) ASKING if I could take on another couple of accounts because "the people assigned to these accounts apparently can't get their TAT up"  The sugar on top is this is suppose to be a "straight type facility"...  WOW!  I took the accounts, I mean, I've been working steady for about 3 - 4 months, FT hours, nary a NJ ...

CT Head
Oct 05, 2010

CT of the brain showed no acute findings.  Old injury of left s/l laminapapy worsia and sinus disease. ...

MRI Of The Head
Mar 26, 2012

MRI of the head demonstrated acute subdural hematoma extending from the left fronto-temporal region to left parietal occipital region measuring 4-5 mm ???(s/l Leis or Weiss) diameter ...

Going Over Sup's Head
May 09, 2013

Has anyone used the second tier of contact regarding no answers from supervisor?  If so, any ramifications? ...

Just A Head's Up ...
Nov 11, 2013

I'm an MME, and in editing reports these past few weeks I'm noticing a huge number of gender mix ups in the reports I'm seeing.  In some reports, it almost seems to toggle back and forth from he/she/him/her, etc with absolutely no consistency.  It seems to be an ASR issue.  I'm not sure why it's happening but what I AM noticing is that a lot of MTs aren't catching it.  If I am the MME for your report, I will always correct them while I'm fil ...

All I Can Do Is Shake My Head .... (SM)
Dec 28, 2009

I found an ad this morning that I was so excited about, part-time MT in 2 specialties that I love, started my email to the company when I went back to look at the job ad and it states UP TO 0.7 per line.  Immediately I deleted the email, shook my head and went on looking.  What amazes me even more is that these people/companies who offer these horrible wages generally act like they are doing you a favor!!  Sad, so very sad .... ...

From A Head Ct Dictation
Mar 09, 2010

(Philpha)contiguous (cyamal) images were obtained ... Thank you.   ...

My Head Is Swirling!
Mar 29, 2010

So much going on!  Got an e-mail Friday that all jobs, regardless of how many blanks it has in is, is going directly to the customer.  Got another e-mail about Benchmark, and I have no clue what that is all about.  Not certified, don't want to be certified, so if it has anything to do with that - and we HAVE to from what I am gathering.  Then they train me for full DQS accounts, and there is never any work on those accounts.  My primary was supposed to go SR in Janu ...

Neurology Head CT Help Please
Apr 06, 2010

Head CT findings show ipsilateral s/l ex-wy-i-co distension of the lateral ventricle ...

What Are The Best Head Phones
Apr 30, 2010

What is the best head phones.  I have tried so many, but I know there has to be a better set. I currently use Logitech. ...

During A CT Scan Of The Head
Jun 01, 2010

Additional images were obtained using ___ techniques.   s/l "foamy endo"   anyone? Thanks! ...

CT Head Question
Jun 24, 2010

The doc says, "The patient's noncontrast CT head was negative for shift or mast."   Is mast correct?  I can't hear it well and can't seem to confirm that it is right or wrong.  Thanks! ...

36mm +0 Head...
Sep 18, 2010

The doctor is dictation that he used a "36mm +0 head" ... in my report is it proper to type it as "+0" or do I type it out as "plus-0"?? ...

Head Exam
Oct 03, 2010

Face was symmetric without any s/l mid lag or droop. ...

No Head And Apathy
Sep 24, 2011

moving this to Comedy Stop ...