A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

As long as you are miserable, you get likes, if you have a - really good life, you have bunch of dislikes

Posted: Apr 25, 2014

I posted below under are you happy section and responded to someone who said Americans are not spoiled which I very much think I am (now). I told about how life is for me and got so many dislikes; however if you post about your terrible life, cannot find nor keep a job, have to go on goverment assistance, not knowing where your next meal is coming from, not enough to pay your rent, everyone then is like a cheerleader all in your corner. Not everyone is in the same boat but I think most would love for you to be right in there with them. One "person" posted about not liking the fact of my marrying for money, got several likes yet when I replied did it on my own before marriage, got dislikes. You love it when a person is down, what about when one is not?

you are so right - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You are so right. I have been posting about how much I like my job at PF and what a good company they are to work for and have gotten a lot of negative comments. A lot of these people love to be miserable and spread their misery.

I love/hate that like/dislike button - because...

[ In Reply To ..]
It is hard to decide which way to vote or else it could come across by the OP or other readers that I liked because.... or I disliked because....

I disliked a post one time due to the OP's situation of something bad happening to her (to me, dislike means boooo), then the rest of the post was positive and I did like it but you can only vote once. Maybe they should just get rid of it altogether. Or have agree/disagree instead of like/dislike.

so true! - at49er

[ In Reply To ..]
So true!! I have posted several happy things on here about my life, and the pack mentality is ridiculous! Act like a bunch of wolves on a feeding frenzy. Bashing and accusing. Boy oh boy, jealousy is an ugly emotion. I've never been one to be jealous of someone's good fortune. To the original poster, I am very happy you have a great life and hope it continues! Muah!

I wouldn't blame people who are having a rough time (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
I love it when life works for others. Likes for a person's hard luck story or venting posts are simply showing support for something others can identify with, such as the financial hardship imposed by the greedy MTSO CEOs. I think most of us can relate to that and it helps to be able to vent or ask for suggestions. The most dislikes are for rude, inconsiderate posts, not those going through hardships where "like" to most means "support".

People who are miserable - need support

[ In Reply To ..]
People who are happy and have a great life, well, why on earth would you come onto a list like this and tell everyone about it unless you were going to tell people the name of the wonderful company which has made it so, which nobody ever does.

I just don't see the point of coming on this board to tell people how great everything is unless you are either going to share secrets of success at MT or who the good employer is. Probably the faith board might be more receptive for this kind of positivity if it is simply "making lemonade from lemons" rather than an actual good job, which are very few and far between in this profession nowadays.

I'm not saying this board is only for negatives, I have supported people, given some helpful hints, even praised my employer (back before it got taken over by the death star) and expressed excitement at learning new things.

If you have such a wonderful life, why would it bother you if you don't get affirmation here?

People who have the terrible posts you mention often have no one else, they are on their own. That's very, very tough and are you really blaming them because they don't know where their next meal is coming from or being FORCED to go on govt assistance?

If you feel you are spoiled and want to tell people about it, fine, but personally, while I am proud to be an American, I am NOT proud of what the middle class has become in this country, and if I am supposed to be grateful we've got it better than China, I'm not.

From the original poster, my job had nothing to do with - my wonderful life or lack of

[ In Reply To ..]
A job does not make me, never has. This board now for years has had the same type postings about how miserable life is but hardly anyone ever makes a change here. I have been on my own before and I be darned if I came on here spouting off about woe is me. I do things to help my own self. I responded to the posting about a person saying an American was not spoiled. I am American and felt yes I was spoiled and responded to that. I guess others here like that saying misery loves company because I sure see that going on here.

This is an MT board - and mostly about our work

[ In Reply To ..]
For many of us, that work has become a nightmare which has deprived us of our once comfortable lives, self respect, and some of us are stuck in the middle of nowhere which used to be fine, now our livelihoods and lifestyles have become endangered and it is hard to see a way out, so that is what we talk about, sympathize with, offer suggestions to.

Help your own self, fine. We are all trying to do that. Most of come on here to compare notes of companies, share hardships, try to find a better situation.

No one's job makes them, but our jobs are the reasons we come on here. I remember a time when I was actually happy in my job, making a good income, good employer, and I rarely looked at these posts then, but now it helps to compare notes and see others having the same problems as I am, and together we are trying to sort out what is becoming of our industry.

I still don't think Americans are spoiled, especially in our profession.

I don't think most of us want to make a change, that is why we come here and commiserate, we just want some hope that there is something left of this profession, and really probably there is no hope, but if complaining and comparing notes about our nasty employers helps us deal, why not?
Good post -very well said - I was just thinking too....
[ In Reply To ..]
Your post is why I come on here. It helps to read what others are doing to help get through. And that poster below was absolutely correct. Why is it the people who are doing so great and wonderful will never tell anyone where they are working.

To read people gloating about how well they are doing would be like going to an AA meeting and having someone stand in the front in $600 Armani suits or wearing diamonds and pearls tells us how they've never been an alcoholic and how great they are doing, etc.
The post did not have to do with a job - in reply to no Ameican being spoiled
[ In Reply To ..]
The statement made no American was spoiled. Had absolutely nothing to do with a job.

your reply - is the closest

[ In Reply To ..]
to my thoughts. Telling a group of struggling people collected together how great your life is, your parrot spontaneously spoke French, your husband is hung, your pennies are overflowing your piggy, are not words of encouragement. A kind word is what they want, not a comparison to their desperation.

OMG - I was thinking the same thing. Thank you to - the person you replied to, too

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it is horrible that some people want to come to the board to gloat. Especially when they know for a fact that so many are struggling. About 2 years ago I was doing great, but I never came on and said any of that. My dad once told me telling someone who is down and out and suffering at how great you are and you've got this and that is like sticking a knife in their backs.

Now I am not doing well at all and cry myself to sleep with financial worries. I'm so glad I never wrote how well I was doing because now when I see other people gloating that knife is what is being twisted in my back and I know exactly what it feels like.

Why anyone would want to do that I don't know. It's just not very compassionate. Yes, this is life, I know people are doing well. I am happy for them, but you know, I don't want to hear about it. If people want to tell the world about how great they are doing the take out an ad in the paper or go walking around the store shouting out how great things are going for you. I'm sorry, but I don't want to hear it. It just deepens the depression I am feeling when I am worried about how I'm going to pay my bills. I also don't need anyone telling me I'm not doing enough to better my situation, especially when they are not sitting here with me watching what I'm doing.

We have a family member who is like that. The family is suffering, he has money. We are happy for him, but he also likes to brag to us all about it. We are about to have a "family discussion" with him about his insensitivity to his own family.

So unless you are going to name the company where you are making it rich beyond all you could ever dream of, those of us who are struggling, crying ourselves to sleep, eating rice and beans and ramen noodles cos we cannot afford meat or sitting in the dark and cold at night cos we can't afford electric bills, having to sell our personal possessions that mom or dad left us when they passed away just to get some money to pay a bill...well sorry, we don't want to hear about it.

May not be encouraging but my response not - smutty

[ In Reply To ..]
I responded to spoiled American and mine was a true statement.
Insensitivity and pride ranks - much
[ In Reply To ..]
higher on the karma scale than salty language.
...and insensitive. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
How can you not see that? SMH. Lack of empathy.

It isn't the message, it's how it is - delivered

[ In Reply To ..]
I really don't think anyone is taking offence to the fact that some people are not struggling and have a decent situation. I think it is the attitude in which these people present their stories that some do not appreciate. Many times those who are telling of their good fortune seem to be bragging about it. Bragging is never a desirable trait. Even if one is not envious of the braggart, the bragging is obnoxious and quickly gets on one's nerves.

That is one thing. The other are those who tell of their good fortune and then go on to say that others could do it too if only they weren't so lazy. I'm putting that in my own words, of course, but that is how it is presented. "I did this because I'm super talented and either you are just lazy or not cut out for this business." Or "I work for a nice company, so quit complaining and go find your own nice company."

It isn't the fact that you have a nice life. It's the bragging, the arrogance and the insensitivity in which your fortunate story is being presented that is what you are getting flack for.

I want to give your post 100 likes - THANK YOU!!!

[ In Reply To ..]
You said that perfectly.

I agree - we Americans have been spoiled for a long time - Depressed

[ In Reply To ..]
Even our poorest are not nearly as destitute as people in other countries. Maybe this economic crash has kind of been coming for a long time because of our greed.

I disagree so very very much - Please see why - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If I say "you" in my post I'm not directing it at you, so please don't take it personally, I'm just using the word "you" in a general sense.

I don't think it is a fair assessment to state that we Americans have been spoiled for a long time. Then you are lumping everyone into one group and I don't believe that is a fair assessment. Maybe some people have been spoiled, but not all of us. I try and not lump everyone in the same category.

When you say "even our poorest are not nearly as destitute as people in other countries" can you please explain what that means. I'm not understanding that one at all. I type reports for people who are homeless. In this country we have people so poor they are living in the streets, no possessions, dumpster diving for food, sleeping in cardboard boxes. One report someone couldn't afford a pair of shoes and found some duct tape and string to keep his shoes from coming apart. How much more destitute can there be?

If the economic crash is coming it certainly is not because of "our greed". It's because of politicians and the riches greed. Millions are not enough for them. We have no control over what they do or do not do. The saying goes - he who has the golden egg makes the rules. Well they are holding the golden eggs, not us.

Thank you - Exactly!

[ In Reply To ..]
I have heard very rich people say "they're better off than in other countries" - meaning the middle class.

I am not greedy at all. I cannot be greedy when I am scrambling to survive!

The poor and destitute in other countries are treated way better than here - believe or not I have lived in another country and there were very few homeless people because shelter was provided and govt help, only here to we ignore the poor and demonize them.
My daughter lived in India for a year... - Depressed
[ In Reply To ..]
...they did not even have dumpsters to get food from. She saw terrible conditions. Another friend described terrible things she had seen in Africa. At least our poor have Welfare, food stamps, and dumpsters.

The economic crash didn't happen because of - our greed, it happened because - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
of CORPORATE greed. And POLITICAL greed.

It probably sounded to them like bragging. - Most MTs dont have it very good.

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Huge Sigh - MTSucks

[ In Reply To ..]
I won't weary myself or anyone else by reiterating all the spot-on responses to your original post. I only want to say one thing. I pray that, for your own good, you get into a situation in which you feel powerless and wish to get support from others. I hope it's as bad as what many of us are going through and that it hurts as much, because then you might learn a valuable lesson and become a bettter human being. By the way, I clicked the dislike button.

I was there one time and bettered myself - For the record I also

[ In Reply To ..]
clicked the dislike button on yours. As far as wishing bad things on others, I will let you handle that. Have never in my life wished bad on others. That might be why my life is good now.

Similar Messages:

If Your So Miserable Here
Mar 25, 2013

Why do you stay? We ALL know this is a dieing field. We ALL have taken paycuts. If your young take control of YOUR destiny and do something about it...If this wasnt a last career for me, I certainly would retrain and do something different. The object of a job is to love it and make the most money possible doing the least amount of work. Find what you love and move on.. Im not being mean, just saying..Who loves this job? I dont, I dont hate it, it pays the extra bills..and Ill stay. But i ...

MT's Are Among Some Of The Most Nasty, Miserable...
Sep 30, 2013

People I've ever come across. Time after time on this board, I've seen people ask simple questions that only require simple answers. But it never fails that someone, and usually more than one person, has to add nastiness,  or rudeness in their answers. Some of you go out of your way to try to bring people down, make them feel bad, belittle them, etc. Will a little kindness kill you? I hate to think some of you act this way to people offline. But I guess it's the whole being b ...

I Hate 6.1! I Just Thought I Was Miserable Before
Sep 09, 2010

My line count is circling the drain. This is the most gawdawful program they have ever come up with. I hate no more "End of Session" button. The numbering system is cool, but doesn't make up for the rest of the crap. If it wasn't for the health insurance, I would be outta here. ...

With The QC Bonus Now Making Us Miserable
Aug 07, 2013

I'm curious as to why Nuance would do this? Why would they give QC a bonus and make ours so darn hard to acheive? Why would they allow QC to continue to make up bogus errors to only make us look really bad?  I think I know. If they show their clients that the US based MTs have worse qulaity than the India based MTs and are more expensive, they could switch over 100% of their client base to India and get rid of all of us and the expense of having us like future Obamacare insurance, P/R ...

Who Actually Likes VR/SR?
Oct 09, 2010

Is there anyone here who actually likes voice recognition work? I like it because it is less taxing on my body. I would LOVE it if the pay for my company was better. Who actually likes it? ...

Softscript Likes/dislikes?--sm
Dec 21, 2009

Thinking about applying to Softscript.  If you have worked for them could you please tell me likes and/or dislikes? It says on their website they do not outsource, does anybody know if this is true or not? TIA!! ...

Gee....glad Someone Likes This VR Crap.
Jun 29, 2012

"Richard Gwinn, MD, director of urgent care at Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Group in San Diego sings voice recognition's praises: "It took me less than one-half hour from the time I first opened Dragon Medical to the time I was using it. It’s been a life changing application. I go home earlier. I don’t have stacks of charts on my desk and the swelling has gone down in my fingers (from typing).” This was taken off Nuance's FB page. ...

Is There Anyone Here Who Likes Working For SoftScript
Aug 28, 2012

I have a job interview with them.  Need to hear from those who are satisfied with working there.  I have heard off the negatives.  Are there any positives?  What about bennies, cents per line, incentives.  What type of insurance offere and what are the premiums.  TIA ...

With All The Statistics MMmodal Likes To Keep On Us,
Feb 11, 2013

I would like to know how much time per week total I spend waiting for another job to download after uploading my last one.  Come on guys, watchu afraid of? ...

Who Here Likes/loves Nuance??
Mar 12, 2013

I would love to know if anybody actually likes or loves their work at Nuance.  I have recently lost my job to MModal, yet one more time (MedQuist before) and am applying and testing. I have done and passed everything but the typing test, should I even bother??  Oh and yes what is their competitive pay?  Thanks for all your help and suggesions. I do plan on working swing shift and wonder what the shift differential is. Thanks all, Carol   ...

When Giving Opinions Of Various Companies Whether Likes Or Dislikes
Aug 31, 2012

Most people are vague in their comments.  Give the details i.e. why you don't like the platform, why you don't like the benefits.  Or what type of benefits, how much you pay for the benefits, etc., how many vacation days you get, how is the vacation/sick pay calculated, hourly or average of lines, etc. ...

From A Dialup Employee Who LIKES 6.1, And I Am More Concerned Now About Crackdown On Required To Sen
Sep 15, 2010

Okay, enough already my dear friends and colleagues.   This "mutiny" has gone on far enough to long.   I was  very concerned because I am one of those who has dial up.   I am used to slow response time, and YES it has affected my production because of waiting.   So, I was very, very worried.  I did have to take my MQ computer to my parents and use their DSL to do the training and the download of the 6.1.   Support was great, they found ...

Regarding A September Thread About MTs Being "nasty, Miserable" People
Oct 07, 2013

Quote from your post: " MT's are among some of the most nasty, miserable... People I've ever come across."    I'm a little late to the party, but here's my 2 cents for the OP: You appear to be the kind of person who pulls 1 green M&M out of a bag and then assumes all M&Ms in that bag must be green.  There are nearly 100,000 MTs in the US, but only about 400 visit this board.  Do you see where I'm going with this, or do I have to ...

How About A Show Of "likes," Here. How Many Of You Would Participate In Legal Action For
Sep 17, 2014

Are there others with whom you have maintained contact that might, even if you are not interested or do not necessarily feel aggrieved? Purely hypothetically speaking... What if?   ...

Anyone Care To Share Their "likes" About
Jul 30, 2012

Because I'm failing to see it's superiority over DQS 6.  None of the features seem to work right on it, and even the ASR, although still a wreck, was better in DQS 6.  For example, DQS 7 ASR puts in headings every time it hears the word plan or medication, etc.  It also fails to put any commas in when there is a sentence listing something.    Just thought it would be helpful if somebody shared something they liked about DQS 7 that DQS 6 didn't have.  ...

Involves A "5-week-long" Or "5-week Long" Treatment.
Jul 12, 2012

This would involve a "5-week long" treatment to the breast.  ...

How Long Does It Take.....sm
Mar 26, 2010

Geez!  I was hired by a national last Friday.  It is a full week later, and they haven't even gotten all the paperwork done.  I thought I had completed it all and then they said human resources forgot a few papers.  Well, they have yet to email them to me today.  I thought I would be at least training by now.  It has been a full week.  I mean they still have to install software on my computer, and I still have to train on ES and the account specs.  Ge ...

NJA- How Long Do We Have To Sit Here?
May 31, 2010

My shift was supposed to start at 8, it is now 8:15 and only 1 job has come through.   Can I send my email and be done with it or once a job comes through do I wait another 15 minutes?   ...

How Long Would It Take?
Oct 18, 2010

Can anyone tell me how long it might take, on average, to type 60 minutes' worth of dictation?  Thank you! ...

Sorry, Rather Long
Nov 21, 2010

This is in the PE section of a consult and the patient is alert but sedated.   ...The neurologic is ( s/l tense) and is intact.  Pulses in the periphery are good.   Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  Sally ...

Why Does It Take So Long?
Mar 08, 2011

Anyone out there notice this?  That it takes twice as long to do an op note anymore in ASR what with all the cutting, pasting, standards, going back to check whether or not to delete headings, blah, blah.  It used to be a cinch to simply bring in one of my standards and make the appropriate changes according to the audio, but now with ASR, it takes twice as long.  I feel like I'm running in place and going nowhere just to make ASR learn something.  It's such a waste ...

How Long
Apr 01, 2011

How long does it take to find a new job with so many people looking for work.  ...

It Has Been A Long Day...
Apr 14, 2011

The patient did some googling and recognized the tightness he was having may have been from a heart attack... Should I capitalize googling?    ...

Need A Job? (long)
Mar 01, 2012

Started working for my current office 7 years ago.  Worked 1 year in the office then needed to work from home so went on contract.  Things were great, plenty of overtime, work as much or as little as I want and still have plenty of time to spend with my family.  After 4 years they could no longer offer me a contract per se, but still had plenty of work so I stayed with them.  Things changed, started having trouble getting my checks on time, sometimes would be becaus ...

How Long Were We Down?
Jun 11, 2012

I can't remember how long we have to be down to get downtime.  Seems like it has to be at least half an hour. ...

How Long Does It Take To Not Be Known As An MT
Jan 24, 2013

I have known where this 'profession' was headed for years; even in the late 1990s I knew. I earned the education that I need with both an associate degree and bachelor's degree (bachelor's degree from Big 10 university) and, still, many people view me as an MT, which we can all agree is not good. I have experience in my new line of work, and I have worked in that field in the past. How long is it really going to take before people do not view me with all the negative stereoty ...

You Know You Have Been Doing MT Too Long When
Apr 07, 2013

you are cleaning out your desk and find a magnetic tape eraser :)   Probably belongs in a museum :) ...

Wow--long Job
May 01, 2013

Edited a job that was 4689 long.  YIKES!  That is the biggest one I have done in a very long, long time.   ...

So Long MM
Mar 15, 2014

I've done my time! On to something else! I can't say my experience here has been terrible, certainly not as bad as some others I have seen, but I just feel it's time to go. Something else presented itself and I took it.  I'll still be checking in on you all once in awhile.  Would like to especially like to wish the potential coders well; I think that's a great opportunity! Wish me luck! ...

How Long Did It Take You To Get Off Of QA?
Dec 01, 2014

I have only been working a couple of months at Nuance and I am just wondering how long it takes to get off of QA and become DSP status.  It feels like QA is nitpicking me to death.  This is the longest I have ever been on QA before.  How long does it generally take to get off of QA.  My last audit was 99.85%.   I cannot seem to get a straight answer from my TSM either... ...