A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone pursuing finding work as a "medical scribe"? - (see message)

Posted: Jun 24, 2012

I've seen reference to this career path from time to time here....wondering if there's anything new to add?  

I have a friend who recently went to work as an MT for a doctor's office.  She's typing the minor emergency room notes or same-day surgery notes or something like that.  Their PCPs do their own EHR, but she said the doctors really dislike having to do it, and it reduces the number of patients they can see each day.  

As the EHR is implemented more and more, I suspect medical scribe work will be in more demand, as the doctors figure out they want someone else to handle the computer input.  Have any of you MTs or former MTs seriously looked into transferring into that kind of work?  

I understand and agree with the question about whether patients will want non-medical personnel in the room, but I took my mother-in-law to see a surgeon a few months ago, and there was a scribe in the room during her visit.  No one introduced her, and we didn't stop and ask if she was an RN or a PA or a medical student....she could've been a former MT for all we knew, and my MIL didn't even bat an eye about it.  

Pay is too low - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
The only jobs I have seen offered pay only $9 to 11 an hour. Too low pay for me.

Same here. - Jen

[ In Reply To ..]
We have them at the hospital where I work and I think they make about $8-9 an hour. They follow doctors around in the ER from what I understand. The ad always says they are looking for nursing students for that job so you know the pay is low when they want students to do it.

Oooh, that's discouraging... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree--that's similar pay to a lot of entry-level reception jobs. They probably won't get people to do it on a career level at that salary, where they're aiming at students who are just temporarily passing through....on their way to much higher pay, I might add.

Sigh....wish I had more time for re-training in a new field, but I'm only going to be working maybe another 8-10 years or so.

Just a note about medical students - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
Medical students go to school full-time and their classes and outside studying can require more than 80 hours a week. They almost never work while classes are in session and may spend every bit of vacations studying, as well. Their clinical rotations require them to complete assignments and see patients. If they do this in a private office, which is rare, they are not there to scribe for the doctor.

I truly do wish that this "hire medical students to scribe" nonsense would stop. It does nothng but perpetuate a ridiculous idea that diverts attention from the reality that scribing might be a job for some at some point.

This stupid idea began several months ago when an HIM person from the midwest misread something. Apparently not knowing much about medical education, and not reading accuraely, either, she read that a lot of physician documentation in teaching facilities is accomplished by medical students and residents. It is, but it is because they do a lot of the H&Ps, daily notes, and operative reports. That is because they do a lot of the work themselves. It is not because they run around after doctors jotting down notes on what they do.

There is also a concept that an attending can use this documentation as his own, but only if the person who generated it states that he scribed for the attending. Again, this is not the same thing as a scribe in an ER or doctor's office.

Medical school is not like junior college where you can attend some classes and still work. Medical students are not going to get jobs in doctors's offices scribing.

Neither are RNs or PAs. They do not go through all that education and expense to get jobs paying that kind of money. If YOU think it is low, how do you think they see it?

Scribing is not just typing. It involves retrieving data from the EHR to present to the doctor, entering orders, following up on tests, and other things. The pay you are seeing is what doctors can afford to pay, given the pressures insurers put on them. It is in the ballpark for office workers and ED technical personnel.

I read an article a while ago... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
...About medical scribes in the ER, and it basically said that the job was being done by potential medial students, those people working on their pre-med classes and trying to get whatever experience they could get in a medical setting to put on their application for med school. It said it was an ideal job for those people, who don't care much about the low pay but really want to get some experience and make some connections with doctors. It did not sound very promising for MTs, at least in the hospital setting. It did not mention the doctor's office setting.

Similar Messages:

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

Finding An Online Medical Transcription School To Go To
Aug 09, 2011

ok so i really need some help. I want to be a mt but i'm having a hard time finding an online school to go to. Just when i think i've picked one, i see a bunch of bad reviews for it or that it isn't really accredited. Also, i was wondering if you really get paid as much as it says on the internet.. ...

I Have Not Worked In 6 Years, And Only Have 3 Months Experience, Is There Hope In Finding A Medical
Jul 05, 2012

I graduated from a local Technical College with a Certificate in Medical Transcription. I had spent a year searching for a company that would hire someone new, but had no luck. Then, out of the blue a local company had seen my resume and offered me a job. I got the job, but the thing was I was almost 7 months pregnant with my second child! I had only worked a couple months until our baby was born and after consideration, decided not to come back so I could be with our baby full-time. Well, it ha ...

I Just Saw An Ad For A Medical Scribe
Jun 25, 2010

I just saw an ad for a Medical Scribe.  The description is that the MT accompanies the doc from room to room to see patients, sits at the computer in the room and transcribes the H&P/procedure while doc is doing the exam.  Starting pay was $17/hr with full benefits.  Anybody ever heard of this?  I think it's a good idea, leaves the doc hands free to tend to the patient.  It sounds a little like being a court reporter as far as "live" dictation being done. ...

Becoming A Medical Scribe...
Jun 06, 2014

Has anyone considered becoming a medical scribe, currently a medical scribe or know of someone who is?  Pay scale?  I'm thinking of turning my career in that direction and gathering as much information as I can.  Thanks!   ...

Medical Scribe
Mar 12, 2015

Hi everyone - I am a long term lurker on this site. I have been a transcriptionist for 24 years, working as an independent MTSO, inhouse acute care, working at home for acute care, and also for several online companies. I was burned out and gave up transcription to become a personal care attendant, which I loved, but it cut my pay in half. I then got hired as a medical scribe for a cardiology group and I just wanted to tell you how invigorated I have become and now in love I am with this positio ...

Medical Scribe Job Openings
Apr 23, 2011

I have been seeing more and more job openings for Medical Scribes.  They are even showing up as part of other job descriptions.  The ads that are strictly for a Medical Scribe state no prior experience needed and sometimes only a high school diploma as their only requirement – no Medical Transcription education or experience.  Pay $10 an hour.  Anyone else noticing this?   One of many ads I am seeing:  …full time Registered Nurse for an office/c ...

Anyone Looked Into Being A Medical Scribe?
Dec 04, 2014

Just a thought, has anyone looked into being a medical scribe?  I am not sure what the difference is compared to what we do as MTs.  Do any of you?  There seems to be more of a need for them out in the real world.  ...

Medical Scribe Responsibilities
Mar 15, 2015

Just saw an ad in my rural area for a scribe, M-F, 7-5.  Isn't that 50 hours a week?  I've been wondering what the responsibilities of a scribe would be, though this could certainly vary depending on the practice and its location.  This practice is paying $8/hour.  How on earth would a scribe write/type fast enough to keep up with real-time conversations between doc and patient, and get everything in the record before being rushed into the next patient visit?  At least MTs hav ...

Was Looking At Medical Scribe Position Last Night
May 23, 2012

Has this been discussed?  This looks like something we could do. ...

Local Hospital Looking For Medical Scribe
Oct 01, 2012

Anyone down what an MA certificate is. There is a local hospital looking for a Medical Scribe. It looks like there is where MT is heading. Any thoughts or comments? I am wondering if I should pursue this. I have a straight typing job now, but when it ends, as they all do, I want to still use my skills a job outside the home. ...

Medical Scribe - New Transition From Transcription
May 14, 2013

Seems to be the new transition from transcription. ...

Medical Scribe Position Advertised In Dallas Area
Oct 31, 2011

Saw these ads posted in a Dallas paper: Ad #1 Medical Scribe Position We are a high volume podiatry practice in the Irving area. We are looking for an individual with a strong work ethic, good communication skills, and an ability to multitask. The scribe works to facilitate patient flow through the clinic and ensure an acurate and complete medical record for each patient. The scribe assists the medical provider by accompanying them during the medical history taking and exam, recording de ...

Pursuing Something Else?
Aug 22, 2010

Was just curious how many on here are or have trained for a different profession.  If so, what are you doing -- coding?  nursing? All of this talk about "going back to school," but FOR WHAT?  Someone please name a sector of our economy that hasn't been DESTROYED!  We can't all become hairdressers and nail technicians.  Oh, and don't even start about "green jobs," that is such a tiny number of jobs it's laughable, plus I doubt many here will become so ...

Considering Pursuing MT Certification
Dec 13, 2010

Hello, I am looking for some input. I have been a veterinary technician for several years and am very well versed in medical terminology as I have published and lectured. I am looking for a change and MT appeals to me for many reasons. My main concern is being unable to find a job after completing certification for I have no contacts and have heard of "newbies" having a hard time finding work. Obviously I do not want to spend money only to find no way in afterwards. Does anyone know of progra ...

Recruiter Really Pursuing Me - Regarding Radiology
Aug 18, 2010

I didn't even apply to your company but for some reason they're all over me, calling and emailing.  I type radiology only; I told the recruiter that.  He insists I need to put in an application and test, but I'm not sure I want to spend the time and of course he refuses to give me any details until I spend it.  I know the Q's reputation is pretty bad - so I'm asking - how are the rad accounts?  And why don't they just advertise for rad MT's ...

Coder Pursuing BSN? Or Better A Master's In HIM? ??
Apr 04, 2014

Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field, professional background in management, then 10+ years in medical transcription, new coder.  Interested in future healthcare management.  Would a BSN/nursing degree be desireable?  Or better to pursue a second bachelor's or a Master's in HIM? Or ... other that I have not considered but should? Looking for insight or thoughts.   ...

Cannot Play Wav Files In Windows Media, Byte-Scribe Or Express Scribe. Help???
Mar 03, 2012

I have voice files sent to me that I cannot play in Windows Media or Express Scribe. They will load in ES but show 00:00 duration.  I thought possibly it was an encryption error as they possibly they are coming that way to be because they are secure but I sent to a friend and she can open them and play them.  Windows Media states something about a missing codecs and I have installed if known codecs to man (I am on Windows XP).  They just will not play or show the duration etc.&nbs ...

Ekg Finding
Nov 22, 2009

EkG shows subacute S/L semi versus pericarditis. ...

Help Finding Gel Name
Apr 25, 2010

This is for a 7-yo with a chin laceration. Wound was anesthetized with s/l "lead" gel. Or could be bled gel, black gel-not clear at all.   Can anyone help here? ...

Finding A Job
Aug 11, 2010

I am getting ready to graduate from Penn Foster in the Medical Transcription program. I was real exited about this at first, but I am hearing that it is not easy to find a job. Does anyone know of a transcription company that hires newbies?                                                                      Jenny ...

Finding Own Clients PLEASE HELP
Oct 21, 2009

Hi Everyone, Right now the company I work for hardly has any work.  I am thinking about sending out a letter to local clinics and also maybe putting out an ad on craigslist for transcription work.  Have you tried this?  I have questions:   What things do I have to consider? How do I charge people (I know I can do line count in INstantText and figure out line count and cost)-is 10 CPL a good place to start?  Are there other costs I need to factor in?  How about tax ...

Finding PA/PAC Names!
Oct 28, 2009

For those "low-talkers" who won't spell the PA/PACs name, combined with my endless list of names, does anyone know the easiest way to just do a generic search for all of them? It's exhausting! Thanks, y'all! ...

Finding Another Job Vent
Oct 31, 2009

I need to find a new job.  The company I'm working for is replacing med transcriptionists with voice recognition and electronic health records.  This is not the first time this has happened either, . . it happened at another hospital I worked for.  The company's response was "you can go work for the service."  Yeah, right, at half the pay.  After working at a good in-house hospital job for nine years, I realize how home MTs are so mistreated.  And, ...

Still Having Trouble Finding This
Jan 30, 2010

I have asked this before and got an answer but do not see what was suggested I would be able to see.  After I have requested a day off in schedule source, if I go into the "days off" page, where is the approval?  I see a yellow box that says "request" but do not see anything about the answer to the request.  I also checked my calendar - is there something on the calendar about it?  Last time I made a request I found out at the last minute I did indeed have it off, but had not ...

New MT Finding Position
Jul 01, 2010

I am a current student at the MSU of Technology.  I am currently looking for a position in Medical Transcription or Medical Billing.  I am very fustrated.  PLEASE HELP!! ...

Finding Experience
Sep 20, 2010

Why is it so difficult to find a job in the MT field?  There are many more quality jobs for MT's that have 2+ years of experience.  Can I use my schooling as experience? How do I find a job as a graduate with an Associate Degree?   SB ...

Need Help Finding Pay Schedule Please
Oct 05, 2010

I lost pay schedule for the year in the e-mail purge. Can someone please help me? ...

Finding A Position?
Jan 18, 2011

I graduated from a medical transcription course last April.  I still haven't found a position. I have tried everything!  I have sent out resumes, flyers, letters to Dr. offices. I have applied at several of the companies online, and everyone wants experienced MT's, taking a course isn't enough!  Any ideas?  ...

Finding A Job For A Newbie...
Apr 22, 2011

Hi, Does anyone have advice for a "newbie" transcriptionist finding work?  It seems all the job ads want minimum 2 years experience.  I've just completed a medical transcription course and would appreciate any advise on finding work.  Thanks! Happy Easter!   ...