A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

finding another job vent - out-of-the loop

Posted: Oct 31, 2009

I need to find a new job.  The company I'm working for is replacing med transcriptionists with voice recognition and electronic health records.  This is not the first time this has happened either, . . it happened at another hospital I worked for.  The company's response was "you can go work for the service."  Yeah, right, at half the pay.  After working at a good in-house hospital job for nine years, I realize how home MTs are so mistreated.  And, I can say that with a grain of salt because my "wonderful hospital job" I I guess, wasn't so wonderful because they eliminated the position of "medical transcriptionist."  Seems like everywhere I've worked that has been on the forefront of every medical facility's management's mind, . . to do away with transcriptionists.  We have to know so much, and I don't think anybody appreciates us except maybe other transcriptionists.  I think we're undervalued because people are desparate to stay at home with their children or for other reasons.  I think people think that we take so little pay, so it must not be that hard.  You and I know differently.  It just saddens me.  I worked as an IC for 15 years before working at this hospital for nine, . . I liked it very much, but there was no medical insurance, no sick time, nothing.  I had to work my ass off just to make the rent and bills (I was raising two children alone).    Now, I find myself possibly going back and working for a service and see nothing much has changed or it has gotten worse.  I remember working at a service.  Although I liked it, I can remember when I had to rush, rush, rush, . . and all of the headaches and all of the times I cried because I was trying to understand a doctor you was coughing, burping, or had mush in his mouth.  Sorry for the vent, . . I do feel better.  And remember, "We have to be SMART to do what we do!!!!!"

Out of the frying pan..... - My take

[ In Reply To ..]
Replacing MTers with VR? You still need a transcriptionist to do VR so not really replacing them. I worked at a hospital, had all kinds of benefits, base pay plus production and they decided to go VR with outside company. I could have had another job in the hospital but decided to stay with the transcription end. I never went home to take care of kids or because I wanted to but now am happy as can be. Oh, the pay was cut on VR but I can average pretty good each day and glad I stayed with the VR.

Layoff Blues - out-of-the loop

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, that's encouraging. I've been "out of the loop" for so long, that I didn't even know what was going on with VR. It's astounding that the hospital I work for say that their doctors are going to profread their own work and there will be no need for QA involvement, . . sounds awfully fishy to me, especially subce I'm in a union.

Proofread their own work!!!!??? - Laura

[ In Reply To ..]
How long do you think that will last? How many times have you been transcribing and caught a doctor's mistake, i.e. wrong date (as in year), wrong medication dosage, (mg instead of mcg) or had a vitals statistic listed as one thing in the PE and something drastically different somewhere else in the report??? My son works for a clinic here in my town (where they have already gotten rid of MTs and gone to a service),and now they are switching to electronic records. Doctors, nurses, etc. have to type in the information themselves. He has been installing computer monitors all over the clinic. Should be interesting to see how long that lasts. LOL!
I was thinking the same thing - 7DayMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Probably a lot of doctors think dictating the reports in the first place is a pain in the neck - but having to proofread them? Thought they were too busy for that.
And don't you love it when they spell for us - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
Just love it when they "help" us with the spelling, since 50% of the time it's wrong. Thanks, Doc, but it's my job to know how to spell it, so let me do my job and you do yours. Having them proof their own dictations??? HA!

Similar Messages:

Ekg Finding
Nov 22, 2009

EkG shows subacute S/L semi versus pericarditis. ...

Help Finding Gel Name
Apr 25, 2010

This is for a 7-yo with a chin laceration. Wound was anesthetized with s/l "lead" gel. Or could be bled gel, black gel-not clear at all.   Can anyone help here? ...

Finding A Job
Aug 11, 2010

I am getting ready to graduate from Penn Foster in the Medical Transcription program. I was real exited about this at first, but I am hearing that it is not easy to find a job. Does anyone know of a transcription company that hires newbies?                                                                      Jenny ...

Finding Own Clients PLEASE HELP
Oct 21, 2009

Hi Everyone, Right now the company I work for hardly has any work.  I am thinking about sending out a letter to local clinics and also maybe putting out an ad on craigslist for transcription work.  Have you tried this?  I have questions:   What things do I have to consider? How do I charge people (I know I can do line count in INstantText and figure out line count and cost)-is 10 CPL a good place to start?  Are there other costs I need to factor in?  How about tax ...

Finding PA/PAC Names!
Oct 28, 2009

For those "low-talkers" who won't spell the PA/PACs name, combined with my endless list of names, does anyone know the easiest way to just do a generic search for all of them? It's exhausting! Thanks, y'all! ...

Still Having Trouble Finding This
Jan 30, 2010

I have asked this before and got an answer but do not see what was suggested I would be able to see.  After I have requested a day off in schedule source, if I go into the "days off" page, where is the approval?  I see a yellow box that says "request" but do not see anything about the answer to the request.  I also checked my calendar - is there something on the calendar about it?  Last time I made a request I found out at the last minute I did indeed have it off, but had not ...

New MT Finding Position
Jul 01, 2010

I am a current student at the MSU of Technology.  I am currently looking for a position in Medical Transcription or Medical Billing.  I am very fustrated.  PLEASE HELP!! ...

Finding Experience
Sep 20, 2010

Why is it so difficult to find a job in the MT field?  There are many more quality jobs for MT's that have 2+ years of experience.  Can I use my schooling as experience? How do I find a job as a graduate with an Associate Degree?   SB ...

Need Help Finding Pay Schedule Please
Oct 05, 2010

I lost pay schedule for the year in the e-mail purge. Can someone please help me? ...

Finding A Position?
Jan 18, 2011

I graduated from a medical transcription course last April.  I still haven't found a position. I have tried everything!  I have sent out resumes, flyers, letters to Dr. offices. I have applied at several of the companies online, and everyone wants experienced MT's, taking a course isn't enough!  Any ideas?  ...

Finding A Job For A Newbie...
Apr 22, 2011

Hi, Does anyone have advice for a "newbie" transcriptionist finding work?  It seems all the job ads want minimum 2 years experience.  I've just completed a medical transcription course and would appreciate any advise on finding work.  Thanks! Happy Easter!   ...

Finding A Job As A New Coder
Sep 30, 2011

I am an MT considering going to school for coding.  I have been reading the message boards of the coding professional organization and found it to be full of comments from new certified coders who can't find jobs without experience, and some have been looking for over a year.  I am leaving the MT field after only 6 years due to salaries going into the tank with SR.  I think coding would be a good fit for me, but hate to spend thousands of dollars and a year of school time on ...

Finding It Hard To
Jan 17, 2012

sit at a keyboard for 8 hrs a day everyday.  Guess I'm just getting old.  Wish I could find part-time work.  Does anyone know of any good companies that will allow part-time (20-25 hrs)? Doesn't seem to be very many out there.  TIA. ...

Laparoscopy Finding
Jan 18, 2012

Dictated:  She underwent an uneventful laparoscopic right hemicolectomy for a right colon cancer.  Laparoscopy failed to reveal any signs of carcinomatosis or liver s/l studying or stutting.   Thanks for looking and for any help. ...

Knee MRI Finding
Feb 02, 2012

Dictated:  MRI reported as positive for minimal s/l truckation (truh-KAY-shun) of the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus, possibly secondary to prior injury.  No displaced meniscal fragment was identified. I was thinking "truncation" (shortening), but does that fit in context?  I have not heard with regard to menisci before. Thanks for any help. ...

Laboratory Finding
Oct 21, 2012

Doctor is dictating "Assessment and Plan" findings. She is dictating about Restless Legs.  She dictates "Looking at his last labs, his  (sounds like Endo sees) were low. " Not sure what "Endosees" or "Indosees" or it even could be "NDCs are low." I am not sure what she is dictating. I cannot locate anything close to that. Wondering if it has anything to do the patient's iron level.. any help would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Finding MT Remote Job
Dec 01, 2012

I recently obtained my Certificate from a community college for Medical Transcription/Coding. I also work full time at our county mental health clinic, scheduling appointments for patients, answering telephones and transcribing reports for 3 psychiatrists (2 speaking in broken Indian dialect). I have submitted many resumes online to all types of transcription agencies and physician's offices. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get a job as a remote transcriptionist and if you have any ...

Disability & Finding A Job
Dec 19, 2012

I am ready to come off of disability. Should I tell whomever I am applying with that I am on it? ...

My BOB Is Finding Out Restricting PT To 28
Nov 26, 2013

PT has been offered to work anything less than 37 hours.  Do ya think they will reinstate PT PTO as the next bribe to get more PT'ers to work? ...

Is Anyone Having Any Luck Finding A Job Right Now Or Is It
Dec 02, 2013

actually getting worse than before.  I have a lot of experience and can do ESLs very well.  ...

Don't Give Up On Finding A New Job
Dec 30, 2013

I have been transcribing for 31 years. Hospital laid us off in 2008, went with our contract provider, then Nuance took over her employees. I have been looking for a job for over a year and finally found one. Starting on Jan. 6, I will be working for a local pathology office doing minimum transcription as well as other things, meaning no more sitting all day long looking at a dumb computer. It is 8-5 M-F. They are starting me out at $13.50 an hr. The only problem I have is Nuance wants me to give ...

Is Age A Factor In Not Finding An MT Job?
Mar 31, 2014

Have any of you had a hard time finding work as an MT because of age discrimination?  I have run into this for the very first time this year.  I have not worked for a few months because they laid off a lot of MTs at the company I worked for; mainly because they promised something they could not give.  We would have 4 or 5 accounts and no work on almost all of them.  We would be left scrambling for work and got the worst work possible.  The supervisor at night watched the ...

Finding QC/QA Positions
Apr 15, 2014

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find a QC/QA position? I find it's rare to find them here or on any job boards. I do know a lot of companies promote from within, but I also know there have to be companies that hire for these positions from the outside. Any helpful info would be appreciated. Thank you.  ...

Is Anyone Having Any Lucking Finding A Job Right Now. Nm
Jan 08, 2015

I have no idea the best place to post a resume for a job.  Any suggestions. ...

Suggestions For Finding IC Jobs
Jan 01, 2010

I am moving to a very very large city in March and was thinking about soliciting dr's offices for independent contracting jobs for medical transcription.  I've been employed by nationals for the past 11 years and earlier worked for a couple dr's offices independently, but got word of them through the hospital I worked at.  Can anyone advise me the best way to approach a dr's office for transcription?  I'm thinking about trying to pick some up and do the wo ...

Is It Regurg Or Regurge?? I Am Finding Both.
Jun 25, 2010

nm ...

Hard Time Finding A Job As An MT
Sep 29, 2010

Hi everyone my name is Amanda and I am a recent MT graduate.  I have been completing application after application and I either get an email saying that they are looking for 2 or more years experience, they are not currently hiring, or no response at all.  I was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice as to how to go about getting a foot in the door.  I am getting really discouraged and this process is so grueling!! ...

Having Hard Time Finding A Job As An MT
Sep 29, 2010

Hi everyone my name is Amanda and I have recently completed a MT course.  I am finding it very difficult to find work...I have completed several applications and keep getting emails that say they are looking for more experience, they are not currently hiring, or I get no response at all. I am just looking for some advice from anyone if they have any suggestions about getting into a job. This process is very grueling! ...

MTSO Cant Do More To Wring $ Out Of Dr, So Now They Are Finding
Oct 05, 2010

nm ...

NJA Policy On MQCentral - Need Help Finding Sm
May 31, 2011

Can someone point me to the actual policy on MQCentral regarding NJA? I can't find it and I would like to review it.  I thought it would be under Policy and Process, but I haven't seen anything. Thanks!     ...