A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Disability discrimination by supervisor - tired of it all

Posted: Jan 17, 2011

Basically, story goes like this.  Have been a transcriptionist many years.  Thought I was moving up to a better line count with another company (having trouble making ends meet).  Found this great pay rate with a national MTSO and signed on.  Couldn't work full schedule since the beginning due to medical problems but did work consistently part time with excellent accuracy and no job-related complaints, nothing but praise for working a very difficult account.  About four weeks into job, for first time, supervisor decides to ask why I am not working full time.  Relayed to her I need part time due to disability.  Figured it would be no problem since website advertises flexible schedules.  She never started bothering me until I said "disability."  Then there were phone calls to my home, during my work schedule and not during my work schedule.  There were emails.  There were instant messages.  Questions.  Why aren't you working your scheduled hours?  As if I never notified them I needed part time. 

So anyhow, the nonstop questioning for two weeks came to a climax when I was called probably 10 times in one day between home and cell, emailed, and finally, instant messaged about a full-time schedule.  I finally picked up the phone.  Trust me, I was afraid because I am a very mild-mannered, shy, nice person.  There was the HR manager and the supervisor on the phone taping the phone call.  I have never said or done one untoward thing toward anyone there.  Just asked for part time due to a disability.

I notified the supervisor's supervisor that I needed part time.  I notified the supervisor.  I notified the human resource manager.  I provided proof of disability.  I answered their phone calls (sometimes, it was impossible and not emotionally healthy to answer them all).  I provided reason after reason.  I faxed them documentation.  I emailed them answers back to their questions.

They said the documentation was not good enough.  It was like I had given them nothing.  They said they did not have to accommodate.  They said I was held to a full-time schedule until I provided the exact documentation they wanted and then after review they would see if they could provide an accommodation.  They said I did not understand.  They said I had to be available to answer the phone.  They wanted lines of communication open.  They looked for reasons to fire me and write me up.  I got written up twice for not working full time after notifying them of disability.

I have witnesses who heard my end of the phone call.  They heard my quiet voice and saw the look on my horrified face and told me to just hang up and forget it.

When taking off for a pain injection under sedation, I was told that I had better provide documentation faxed right away to human resources office and that they would not allow more than two days to be off, without PTO option of course.  They stated it was a problem and if I was gone more than two days they would not hold my job because I had not been there a year for FMLA leave.

I feel I was forced to quit.  I have never ever been harassed because of my disability.  There were no job performance issues that they could nail me on.  The only thing they could attempt to write me up for was not working full time, but I notified them of disability and needed part time.  On the writeups, it states that I gave no notice that I could not work their required schedule.  No matter how many times I attempted to email the supervisor, she would not allow or acknowledge a part-time schedule.

I finally just gave up.  I went ahead and had the pain injection because my health is more important.  I emailed them a resignation two days after the injection.  They were thrilled to get it.  I had emailed them asking a question, and the first and only words in the reply email was something to the effect of are you resigning?

I never swore, I never complained, I never missed a whole lot, I never made a major error, I usually always made line count.  I just needed to work part time.

This is a true story.

You were discriminated against - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
This is an issue that you need to immediately take to the Labor Board in your state. They discriminated against you, after you were perfectly honest with them about your situation, and made your life unbearable for you to work under those conditions. They also violated your privacy, and basically pushed you into giving your resignation. You tried to give them documentation regarding your situation and they were waiting for you to violate company policy so that they could fire you. You have grounds for a suit, but you should have let them fire you instead of quitting. I am so irate at how they treated you, but this is a story I have heard before. I wish you all the luck in the world, and please contact the Labor Board as soon as you can. Also, if you cannot afford a lawyer in some states you can apply for help through Social Services based on your income and they assist you on a sliding scale based on your income.

thank you for your response - tired of it all

[ In Reply To ..]
I wanted to thank you for your response. I feel it was discrimination, too. I would have stayed and let them fire me, but they called nonstop during my working hours, ringing the phone off the hook. There is no telling how many times and how long they were calling because I unplugged the phone after a while. When I plugged the phone back in, the calls continued. If I remember right, I had to unplug it again. It was like they were mad at me. I honestly don't know what I did. The emails continued, and when I was logged in to the system, the instant messager was automatically on and they tried that route. I would have continued working without answering the phone but they had the instant messager route. They tried to tell me one time that I did not work at all one day, but I had worked that day and I relayed that information to them. I always keep a job log with detailed information about reports submitted in case that ever happened, and it did.

So this is a story you have heard before? I am just getting tired of the way we are treated by MTSOs. This company was the only one who decided to treat me that way after I brought up the word disability.

I am going to do something about this, not because I want a lot of money or recognition (and probably would not receive any anyway), but because I want to be sure this happens to no one else.

I was more scared than irate at the whole thing. I cannot remember the last time I had a phone harasser. They stopped calling a day or two before I resigned, but I did have to unplug the phone for a while the day it came to a head. It was like they were doing everything they could to get me to say something that would mess up my employment. On the phone, they even asked me point blank why I was not answering the phone, as if they were taunting me. They were located in a different state than where I was at the time. It was scary.

I am not going to post anything else on this forum (not being mean) because I want to ask someone about my next decision, if you can understand what I am trying to say.

I have kept this bottled up inside for a little while now. It lowered my self-esteem. For a while, I was questioning what kind of employee I was, that maybe I did something wrong and maybe was not a good transcriptionist after all.

The only thing I will be able to relay to you on this public forum is that I appreciate your kind advice and will try to do something about it besides posting on this forum, if you know what I mean.

I am definitely low income and was just trying to get out of poverty with the attempted move to this company, but I can see the way of the MT making good money is going south, no matter how much experience one has. We are very devalued.

Thank you again. I will try to make the world a better place.

well, I think you are WRONG - big time

[ In Reply To ..]
You applied for full-time, you accepted full-time, and you started work, as a full-time employee and then YOU DECIDED to work part-time because you are disabled.

You have an obligation to your employer BEFORE you accept a position to let them know of your disability and that you may or may not be able to work full-time.

You cannot just ASSUME that because you saw on their website "flexible scheduling" that you can just work when you want. You agreed before hire on a schedule!

I absolutely think this is abuse and trickery on your part and I cannot believe you would try to blame the MTSO for this!

UNBELIEVABLE! You really should put on the shoes of the MTSO and take a walk... maybe you would see just how wrong you were. My guess, though, is that you have done this before and found what works to get money on the sly.
Whatever. Tired, I'm sorry this position hasn't worked out. - Best wishes with your next job and
[ In Reply To ..]
with your health problems.

BTW, I worked in business for years, and issues of right and wrong simply don't cross the minds of many people who rush to obey the instructions of business procedure manuals and company attorneys--without considering which of all potential actions would be most appropriate for the company in THAT particular situation. Following the instructions in the "Protectionism for Dummies" manual becomes what is right, all other responsibilities ceded to the voice of procedure.

In any case, regardless of what the various facts of your case are, I'm guessing your use of the word "disability" with all its attendant legal strings triggered that sort of response at your company. It'll be in the manual.

BTW, those who say your contract with your next employer needs to specifically reflect the work you are able to perform are, of course, correct. For your own protection, as well as theirs. Good luck with that.
To: Whatever. Tired, I'm sorry... - tired of it all
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your response. I know now what my current limits are. I appreciate your good advice.

I think the heart needs to come first, not the business manual that you described that some people listen to most.

Sometimes, business manuals are not the only reference on how to live your life as an employer. A little empathy and a big heart will go a long way.

Thank you again and thank you for the best wishes. I appreciate it.
To: well, I think you are WRONG - big time - tired of it all
[ In Reply To ..]
I will politely disagree with you. Employees are not obligated to reveal a disability until it starts affecting their job in some way. Check the law on that one.

I was fully under the assumption that I could work full time, but it did not work out that way for me.

Working when I want was not the way to describe my work schedule. I worked part time but worked within the boundaries of when I told them I would originally work.

The only thing I can say is that life happens sometimes. Do you honestly know what will happen to your tomorrows? Do you know when your health will break down? You don't.

You stated to me that "I absolutely think this is abuse and trickery on your part..." Well, I guess you are entitled to your opinion. I am not against every MTSO. In fact, have been very good friends with the owner of a small one. I worked my fingers to the bone for him and was his lead transcriptionist.

So, I am so wrong in your opinion. Well, as I said, you are entitled to your opinion.

You stated, "My guess, though, is that you have done this before and found what works to get money on the sly." I am not going to reply on that one because it would not be the best thing for me to do at this time.

You must be an MTSO owner. I want to talk to you and let you know something. Life is super difficult as an MT anymore financially. The demands are incredible, and the pay is very little. Please have some empathy for employees if you are an MTSO owner. I am sure you have your struggles, too. I can appreciate that. Maybe we can all work together and make the world a better place. If they had just given a little bit, they would have seen what a contribution a disabled employee could have made for them. I was eager to work for my money and always have been. Alas, it was not meant to be. I understand that now.
Well, I poster said sounds as if you did this before and you say you - wont reply cause it would not SM
[ In Reply To ..]
be the best thing for you. Why dont you just say you are trying to pull a fast one. This definately sounds like another potential abuse of the system. Hey, do you know the guy "so many people" poster posted about?
I still think your are WRONG - big time
[ In Reply To ..]
By the way... I am NOT an MTSO, never have been. I have worked for the same company for 13 years, as an MT.

I hope your little plan to extort money by claiming a disability BLOWS UP in your face. I sincerely do.

I do know people with disabilities. You purposefully took a FULL TIME JOB and did not work one FULL TIME DAY, according to your own post. You started working PART TIME because you read on their website "Flexible Schedules."

I think YOU are what is WRONG with our country and I certainly will pray for you, but not for the reasons you think.
So did you really just come here to get people to agree with you? - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
You appear to want everyone to say "oh, you were discriminated against. Get a lawyer!" I do think you need a lawyer, but I think you'll be surprised by what he/she says.

You say that you went in with the full intention of working full time, but suddenly you found yourself unable to work full time. How exactly does that happen on the first day of work?

Again, your expectation that your employer in a brand new job should have to offer you part-time employment for a preexisting condition which apparently is so integral to your functioning that you can't work FT sounds to me like it's beyond the realm of what is a "reasonable accommodation." I think you should call some lawyers and get them to tell you that, though.

I think you did the right thing by resigning and you'll only muck things up further for yourself and this previous employer by attempting to make something legal out of this. They didn't deserve to be misled, and on top of that you're going to try to make a legal case? I'm pretty sure any lawyer you call and give your info to is going to tell you you don't have a case, so I hope you do call them instead of just coming here to hopefully hear what you want to hear.
why the caps ... you read the post, so you know her - eyesight is not the problem.
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
OP had no such obligation! - The Americans With Disabilities Act - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I am absolutely appalled that so many MTs who work in the medical field know so little about the ADA! From Monster, who lists the top three reasons you should avoid disclosing a disability on your resume, the 3rd reason is:

"The Law Is on Your Side: "Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, you don't have to say anything," Kaufman points out."

Seriously, why are so many here trying to say that legal discrimination against the disabled is a good idea? I'm shocked at this, seriously shocked.
Who is suggesting discrimination against disabled is okay?? NOBODY. - We are suggesting it is NOT okay SM
[ In Reply To ..]
to be hired under false pretenses and then spring on employer the disability. If you get hired under one set of expectations and then you spring on employer a completely different set of expectations, you should not be surprised when employer finds a way to let you go. I wouldnt want to employ one who is so sneaky and under-handed. And I am appalled that one who works with words can read a post and so completely mistrue its meaning.
Very well stated. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I agree. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

DISCRIMINATION - karl

[ In Reply To ..]
DON'T HESITATE, DON'T BE AFRAID, STAND UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT, DISCRIMINATION IS WRONG NO MATTER TO WHOM IT IS DONE. REPORT THIS ASAP

Discrimination - tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know where you live, but here in Michigan you can take it to the Labor Board and file a complain as long as you were an employee. Question was were you hired as a full time employee? The Labor Board does not handle complaints by a subcontractor.

Can I ask what company you were working for? Maybe if we start using their names and giving them a bad name (not that they don't already have one) then maybe they will stop treating us like we are robots.

I work for a company out of Chicago and I am an employee but I get screwed every pay period on my check. I show I worked 80 hours, he pays me for maybe 72 hours and says he uses different software to figure our hours.

I am so fed up with this line of work and the treatment we receive. No humanity in our business anymore. I have been a transcriptionist for 16 years and I am trying to get out of this business.

If you were an employee you can file a complaint with the Labor Board on line. You can go on line and see what your state requirements are. Good luck to you and wish you well.

gather up all the info you have - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Jot down every time they called you and get copies of every instant message. If they sent you snail mail, copy that, too.

Before you forget what they said, jot down notes of everything you remember they said and the people you spoke with.

Find all the receipts of everything you faxed to them. Print out hard copies of every email to and from them. Of course, get copies of your contract and your pay stubs.

Get all this together in one place, organized, and talk to the labor board in your state. Talk to a lawyer if you have to. Do not under any circumstances talk to the people at that company again. If they call, answer and tell them you won't speak to them because you've sent an official complaint to the state and may also take it to a lawyer. Tell them the state or your lawyer will contact them in the near future. Then hang up. Good luck!

oops, meant to reply to OP, sorry! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Yes I was an employee - tired of it all

[ In Reply To ..]
I was an employee there. I will try to explore a route about it. Thank you for your well wishes.

Haven't those people ever heard of the Americans - With Disabilities Act? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
What they did to you was illegal. Might be worth it to discuss it with an attorney who specializes in disability discrimination.

Were they aware when they hired you - rambling on

[ In Reply To ..]
Were they aware when they hired you that you were only able to work PT? Did your contract that you signed state PT?

If so, then you were most definitely discriminated against. As the other posters suggested, I would go to the labor board immediately.

Thank you for your interest - tired of it all

[ In Reply To ..]
I am going to give further details to someone who can explore my situation with me and give me personalized advice, so I don't want to post anything else on this forum. I do thank you for your interest and wish you a wonderful day.

Get all the documentation you can and find a lawyer - PLEASE see message!

[ In Reply To ..]
a "certain national" recently had to pay out $30,000 to an IC for this type of treatment.

If you hired on as full time and then found that impossible - it is not MTSO fault. If you SM

[ In Reply To ..]
hired for full time and couldnt do it, they have right to terminate you. You wont answer question if they knew these issues before you hired on. If they thought they were getting perfectly healthy MT who could work full time, you decieved them. Sounds like you were just trying to get hired on and then you sprang the whole disability/time issue on them.

And I cant beleive answering posts above that just assume the - MTSO is wrong and OP is being sm

[ In Reply To ..]
discriminated against. Sound to me like OP, in effect, tricked the MTSO into hiring her and then hopes to either be able to stay in the job under constraints MTSO did not contract for, or worse, is trying to cook up a law suit where one doesnt exist. Not everything is an MTSO problem.

The Americans With Disabilities Act specifically says OP did - not have to mention her disability - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It is advised by almost everyone in the field that you NOT disclose a disability on your resume. The Americans With Disabilities Act says OP is right, she did not have to disclose it.

You're saying that the proper course of action should be that disabled people tell MTSOs up front that they are disabled, that way the MTSOs can "protect" themselves and just not hire the disabled at all.

There is a reason that there are laws to protect the disabled. Your little scenario is one of those reasons.

That's not the point at all. - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
No, she didn't have to mention her disability when she was hired. BUT, she was hired for full time. She agreed to full time hours. She had a contractual obligation to work full time hours. She - for whatever reason - decided it would be okay to just work part time hours and not inform her MTSO. THAT IS WRONG. It is not a matter of discrimation.

Then, when she was called on it, she cried DISABILITY! DISCRIMINATION! EVIL MTSO!

When she found it impossible to work part time hours, she should have informed her MTSO and followed proper, legal procedure.
Completely agree!! - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Please post the name of the company so we can avoid it! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Won't post name to be fair - tired of it all

[ In Reply To ..]
I won't post the name to be fair. This is just an opinion forum, and I would not think it would be fair to post name at this time.

I knew I would get some responses from MTSO owner-type people (not you, but others). But that is okay. The world is made up of many types of people.

To set the other posts straight, there was no predetermined plan for setting up employer.

Thank you for your time. I wish you well.

NOW you are worried about being fair??? I am beginning to - think OP was a fake, to stir up talk. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Posting on the COMPANY Board and then not naming the company does sound like there is - an underlying agenda (nm)
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Not fake, just needing advice - nm - tired of it all
[ In Reply To ..]
Not fake, just needing advice.
My advise is to be open and honest when you apply for - a job. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
If you were hired full time but you only worked part time and... - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
...you didn't fulfil your contractual obligations and it is your fault, not the MTSO's. You tried to slip in under the radar, working only half of what you were employed to do.

From the very start when you decided to take it upon yourself to work part time and not meet your contractual oblications - if it was because of a disability you should have addressed it then and there. But you did not.

You are not taking responsiblity for your own actions, Instead you are trying to turn your MTSO into some type of cold-hearted villain.

That's too bad. - mtmom

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like to me you deceived them. You were hired for FT and then said you couldn't do it. You didn't fulfill your end of the agreement. Doesn't matter that you are a good MT. You should have interviewed for PT or IC up front.

I have a friend with anxiety/depression. She has no trouble getting hired and then can't do her lines for some reason she has concocted in her mind. She always feels it is the MTSO's fault when they let her go. She always says "they don't understand that I'm sick and can't do it". I ask did you tell them up front? No, she doesn't. I guess the MTSO is supposed to be a mind reader.

Disability Discrimination - Disabled Guy

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not a lawyer, but I am disabled, and I have served on the mayor's disability committee in one of the nation's largest cities. This sounds like it should be evaluated by a lawyer who specializes in disability rights. The ADA came to be in 1990 and it is amazing how many people (including some posters on this board) are unaware of its scope and ramifications. The most important thing for you to do at this stage is to consult appropriate legal counsel in a timely manner. There is a fairly short statute of limitations for filing. You need to see not only the Labor Board but also a disability rights lawyer. Don't let anyone talk you out of having your case fairly evaluated. Many companies discriminate because they think then can. Not so long ago, a company that is much-touted on this board, had to pay 30K because of disability discrimination. Being allowed to work less hours can be considered to be a "reasonable accommodation" to your disability under the ADA. You will need to have your physician(s) document this. I think you owe it to yourself (and to other disabled people in the workplace) to have this evaluated. As far the person who said you were just trying to "cook up" a lawsuit. Feh! He or she is but one accident or illness away from being a disabled person him/herself and perhaps should not have so much to say about the motives of people he or she does not even know. In any event, get yourself to a good lawyer for an evaluation. At the very least, take it to the Labor Board. The ADA is a Federal law, and quite likely they might know someone within the government with whom you should speak who would be helpful. Good luck!

that other company - mom of 2

[ In Reply To ..]
As far as that other company, they paid $30,000. After the lawyer gets his 1/3, she is left with $20,000. It sounds to me as if this was a he said/she said. Nothing that could be proved or she would have received more money.

You have to remember that anybody can sue anybody and you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent. It was probably cheaper for this company to settle than fight.

In this day and age, a lot of people find it easier to try to get disability than actually work a job. I'm not saying everyone so don't flame me. There are many people who work the system in one way or another, and we all end of paying. I don't think the OP was discriminated against at all. She lied to her MTSO and then was upset that they expected her to actually work her schedule. If I were her, I would look at this as a learning experience and look for a job she is capable of handling in her physical situation.

So many people have abused the system, it is difficult for those who deserve the help sm - JMO

[ In Reply To ..]
to receive it, which is sad. There is a guy living in one of the apartments here who is 20-something, just as able-bodied as anyone, and he sits on his azz all day and drinks beer and smokes marijuana while he collects SSI Disability payments. Supposedly he cannot work because he has "anger management issues." Puhleeze.

I do not know the disability the OP has, nor if she agreed to full time when she signed on, but if she did and then did a switcharoo, you cannot blame the MTSO, so I agree with you. The phone calls sound excessive, but maybe if she had just picked up the phone the first time they wouldn't have to call 10 times to find out why she is not working her schedule.

Overall, it sounds like there is more to this story than we have read.
Thank you (and a few others) - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
for brining some common sense to this thread.

I work for that "other company," unfortunately, and it was NOT a he said/she said.... - "other company" worker

[ In Reply To ..]
I know the person who sued and she had everything VERY well documented. Google it if you like and read about it.

Thank you for your response - tired of it all

[ In Reply To ..]
You are right. Thank you for your thorough response.

Physician documentation is not a problem.

I promise - I do not cook up lawsuits. I can't believe what some people come up with.

I just posted here to get some insight from other MTs. I never mentioned names because that is not my intention.

At any rate, I appreciate the response. You have an educated and thorough response, and it was helpful.

I will not let some of the personal attacks on this board get to me. Don't worry about that.

You have a nice day and a good week. Thank you.

My question is were you hired as FT or PT. If - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
you were hired for FT, but did not tell them you needed/wanted PT, therein probably lies the problem.

DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION, TOO, PLEASE READ - Hello!Hello!

[ In Reply To ..]
My response to this is going to be as short as it can be.

I worked for a National for 5 years. I had to have back surgery shortly after starting with this company but they were very nice until I started having complications. Well I finally made it through the complications and started going to pain management. I was always one of their highest producers. We had monthly QA evaluations and my lowest was 99.2% and my average was 99.8. My average production rate was 33,000 a month.

I had issues ongoing after my back surgery but never really let anyone from the company know about them until June of 2010. My production started going downhill because of my medical issues. When I spoke to my supervisor, I made her aware of the issues I was having and that I finally had a diagnosis. I told her once I get my medication regulated, I know I would go back to being "normal".

Well, a week later I got a phone call stating that I was being "laid off" due to lack of work. Then I had to sign my life away in order to get severance. This included the fact I could never say it was for medical or disability reasons that I was released. Five good years I gave to this company but as soon as they found out about my medical issues, they let me go.

Discrimination DOES EXIST.

None said discrimination doesnt exist. But just that some trick - their way into a job and then claim discrimination

[ In Reply To ..]
x

File for UE and contact an attorney - mt2long

[ In Reply To ..]
And as much as I read about you supplying them with documentation, I don't recall reading where they APPROVED that documentation. You can't just say I'm doing this and have it be so. It does have to be approved.

That being said, this is where an attorney would come in. :)

I once worked for a company who tried to call me when I was using the ladies' room :) They wrote me up for not being available - despite that I was working before and after this visit. I ended up at the doctor's and had a significant issue and was given a Rx for being out of my chair 10 minutes every hour. When I presented this to the supervisor, she said I had to then work into the night for any dr visits I had and to make up those 10 minutes every hour. I pointed out that if I was an employee in an office, they would not be making me come back at 7 p.m. to work my 7-3 shift. I was then promptly locked out of the system.

I first filed for UE - and got it. I then contacted an attorney - I wanted nothing from them at that point, but I did have the attorney correspond with them letting them know they were breaking the law, hopefully, impacting other MTs who were still there.

Thanks for responses, going to wrap it up - tired of it all

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you all for your responses. I have some business going on personally that I need to take care of so I won't be answering any more responses right now.

I appreciate the comments, good and bad.

I have more insight now. I appreciate the constructive, positive responses.

Have a good day.

Back in 2003 at Spheris sm - CrispyCritterMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I was working on the TransNet platform and getting hourly pay plus 75 cents an hour for working second shift. Then all of a sudden I noticed on my paycheck I wasn't getting my shift differential pay. When I inquired about it, I was told that they had a doctor's note for me stating I had to work days. I asked them to produce the note because I didn't know what they were talking about. Of course, they couldn't. They then showed that the computer showed me supposedly working all these odd hours when I had concrete documentation that I was 20 miles away, 60 miles away, etc. including my signature at a credit union. Even called me one time during the day and were surprised that I wasn't working. The only thing I could figure out is that they had the wrong person, but they never would own up to it. They were convinced they were right. I had 2 conference calls scheduled with HR and my supervisor who for some reason never showed up. All this time I continued working my second shift. I eventually got my shift differential back, but was out about 6-8 weeks of shift differential which I never got back. About 6 months later this supervisor, before she quit, reduced me to part time without my knowledge or me asking. I lost my health ins and couldn't go back to full time for a year. I filed for partial UE and got it. Spheris even challenged it and lost. One of my many Spheris stories/nightmares!

Your first mistake? - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
You state, "Couldn't work full schedule since the beginning due to medical problems but did work consistently part time."

You signed on for full time. You did not work your fulltime hours. You did not formally request a change to part time hours. You did not follow the proper channels or legally document your need for disability.

From my perspective, it happens all the time. An MT who really wants a part time job, signs on for full time, and then tries to bend the rules to accommodate his/her schedule.

Whatever your reason - and I'm not doubting that you're having health issues etc. - you agreed upon one thing to get the job and then proceeded to do another.

Disability and discrimination - me too!

[ In Reply To ..]
As of today, my hours were cut to 18 hours a week, total of 36 hours a pay period. You can't live on that! There are others in transcription that are part time and 2 full time that were hired after me. I have been there 7 years in March. I have asthma and severe allergies and have missed work because of that. I have doctors notes for every time. My production is good and quality is very high.

When my name was first brought up about a lay off about a week ago, my supervisor tried to talk to him that she could not lose a transcriptionist but all he could say was she misses a lot of work. He cut others in the medical records department, but no one was cut to 16 hours a week but me. Most were cut by 1 to 2 days a pay period. It is obvious it is because of my absences and asthma. But because they cut others hours too, I can't file anything. if they had terminated me because of absences I could have filed a suit, but because of it being a "reduction", can't do anything. Also, she tried to talk him into setting me up to work from home, because I would be able to work at home when there were times I could not drive into the office which would cut down on the absences, he got mad at her.

Then today after they tell me about my hours, they ask me what internet connection I have and the speed so they can set me up to work from home those 18 hours! Ain't that a crock! that way I can save some $$ cause I won't have to drive the 57 miles. And to keep the medical insurance I have to pay $211 per pay period!

Anybody got a voodoo doll? I'm feeling really mean right now!

You need to talk to a lawyer, not us. sm - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Nobody here is qualified to give you an answer to your question. Unless there's something you've left out of the description, hiring on for a FT schedule that it sounds like you knew you couldn't work (you stated that you didn't work it from the beginning because of disability) is not honest. I don't know whether you'd have a case because of it or not. An employer has to provide "reasonable accommodations." Starting with a preexisting condition that you know is going to prohibit you from working the basic requirements (a FT shift) and then expecting them to keep you and allow you to flex to part-time because you want to may be beyond the limits of what's reasonable. Again, this is where you need a lawyer. Most will give you a free consultation, so I'd suggest you start making some calls. All you'll get here are opinions.

But MY opinion is correct and should be the standard - followed. Righteous poster. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
chuckle

lol I couldn't tell whether you were joking til - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I read your "chuckle," but I was already cracking up either way.

Do what you feel is right - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't know I would start a firestorm of hatred by responding to your message. The only person who is going to be honest with you and give you an EDUCATED answer is a lawyer. Even though these are opinions, no one has the right to judge someone and come down on them in this manner, and this person has every right to post here. Did you ever think she might be really discouraged and upset about what has happened, and if she wanted to deceive anyone, then why would she post here. It never ceases to amaze me that when someone wants support on this board they are bashed to pieces. You have every right to express your feelings to this person, but you do not have the right to be hateful. I may not be right in my assessment of this situation, but nonetheless it is discrimination. I have seen this happen over and over in the 30 plus years I have been an MT and MTSOs do some heinous things to their MTs, and not everything is black and white. I do wish the MT all the luck in this situation.

Who is the True company? Medquist? - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't doubt this as these companies are all about self gain and employee abuse. Yet what I seen in-house to employees also was a sin. A girl who had MS, they made walk and would sit her at stations that were ergonomically incorrect and treated her in a manner that I hope God remembers. Instead of giving her long-term disability, they pushed her to resign. I still can see the phoney supervisor's face saying, If there is anything you need, or anything I can help you with..." !!! I wanted to say, yes, she needs a JOB. They would not even let her work from home, yet did another. Injustices? Don't get sick because nobody CARES...not even healthcare. Welcome to the real world.

Similar Messages:

Age Discrimination
Oct 02, 2013

I had an offer, everything looked great, but the minute they received my paperwork with my DOB on it, not another word from them, despite my emails.  Has anyone ever changed their DOB on an application to avoid this? TIA. ...

S/l His Deboyant Discrimination
Aug 29, 2011

His (deboyant) discrimination is 6 mm posteriorly and in all 5 digits. His capillary refill is brisk in all 5 hands. He has 5/5 FDP and FDS in digits 3-4. He has 5/5 extension of the MCP, PIP, and DIP joints, digits 2-5. ...

Discrimination Against California?
Feb 06, 2014

I've seen where some companies are not interested in hiring MLSs from California (presumably because of labor laws). I'm wondering if any Nuance MLSs from California have felt some bad vibes lately? I'm wondering if they want to get rid of us. ...

Discrimination Concern
Nov 03, 2014

Just a thought, has anybody noticed that all TLs and TSMs are CMTs.  I believe they discriminate against those of us who do not have our RMT or CMT for any positions of authority.  I have applied for many TL and TSM positions and have never heard a word.  They CYA by putting that preferred line in, but what they mean is don't bother.  I believe this is discrimination.  What do you all think??   ...

AGE DISCRIMINATION Complaint
Feb 22, 2015

Has anyone reading this ever filed an age discrimination complaint? I have never felt my age was an issue before this current situation, but now have the feeling that it is, at least for possible employers. Recently, I was offered an IC position. I completed the required IC paperwork and submitted it. After that I never heard another word from the intake person or the two people I was supposed to be working with to get set up to be an IC for this company. I emailed the intake person and one ...

His Two-point Discrimination Is 6 Mm Both ??? And Aurally?
Apr 06, 2011

Sounds like periolly?? ...

Discrimination 6 Mm Both Feriorly And Honorly
Jul 18, 2011

discrimination 6 mm both feriorly and honorly.   Any thoughts????  ...

I'm On Disability
Aug 19, 2010

I'm a disabled MT (Radiology) and am able to earn $720 per month per govt guidelines. I had the ideal job until recently thanks to VR. I was able to work a few hours each day until I reached my $720 limit. Don't think I could work 8 hours at this point so giving up my disability is doubtful as I have lung damage. I am finding it impossible to find employment because I have to tell them that I can work...but only able to earn $720. I'm frustrated. There has got to be another ...

How Do You Get On Disability?
Mar 27, 2013

I have no health care, I just got terminated, I am being told I might get denied unemployment, I can't work outside the house because I can't perform simple duties like standing, squatting, walking. I can't find another job as an MT. How do I get on disability if a lawyer tells me I can't make more than 1010 dollars a month (gross), yet I can't afford to live on 1010 dollars a month and have no where to live (for free) if I can't find a job. Anyway, if anybody kn ...

Disability?
Sep 19, 2014

I am having surgery next week and I was wondering if anybody has ever had problems getting short-term disability.  I just do not trust Mmodal.  ...

ANYONE GO OUT ON DISABILITY SUCCESSFULLY AFTER 20+ AS AN MT?
Apr 19, 2011

I've been doing this since having an IBM Selectric was the fastest typewriter out there.  I'm under 50, but in the past 6+ years, my neck and back have started killing me.  I went out, spent $800 on a Herman Miller Aeron chair - what a waste of money.  I've been getting epidural steroid injections and had rhizotomies in upper and lower.  MRI shows bone spurs and degeneration.  I applied for SS Disability on my own, and was denied.  I spoke with a lawy ...

Disability & Finding A Job
Dec 19, 2012

I am ready to come off of disability. Should I tell whomever I am applying with that I am on it? ...

Disclosing Disability
Dec 31, 2012

My current MTSO gave me the option of employee status or IC. I chose IC. One of the reasons is because I have disabilities that do not allow me to work without breaks: CTS and neuropathy from a spine condition that causes unbearable foot pain with one particular dictator who requires constantly having to flap the foot pedal to try to make out what she is mumbling. They never gave me a schedule but I take about one day off a week and put in my agreed time per day. I have not disclosed my disabili ...

Disability/Cigna?
Aug 18, 2014

Has anybody had to use short-term disability? My cancer came back so I have to miss time.  ...

Disability Insurance
Nov 06, 2014

If the company provides long-term disability insurance, what would be the reason for choosing to have short-term disability insurance? Does anyone have that? If so, what are the actual premiums? The formula for figuring out the premiums seems obtuse to me.  ...

Disability/Welfare
Dec 11, 2014

Was talking to a friend, who is on disability now, a former MT and is BRINGING HOME more than me a month. Was talking to a neighbor, who is on Welfare, who has MORE FOOD in her house than I do, and better medical care. This is ridiculous. ...

Question On Disability?
May 08, 2015

If you have a medical condition absolutely linked by your doctor to sitting here all day long, what are my options? Doc wants me to quit, does this become a job related disability? Can I get compensated or something, or do I just get to quit and go hungry? Making appointment with specialist to see if surgery can fix the problem but really need to know my options for the future. I've never in my life collected either U/E or disability, so kind of in the dark here. ...

Has Anyone Been On Long Term Disability
Feb 06, 2010

For the past week I've been on PTO because of terrible vertigo/nausea, apparently caused by labyrinthitis.   My vision is so blurry from the meds I'm on that I have to have my daughter type this for me.  Without the 3 different meds I'm on I am in hell, with them I am barely functional bc of the side effects of the meds (which are still better than the horror show carnival ride of vertigo.   My PTO will run out on Sunday and I know this is going to take a ...

Private Disability Insurance
Sep 27, 2011

Any MTs out there that pay out of pocket for short- and/or long-term disability insurance? I am thinking of doing it and wondered now much the premiums would be?  I want to continue to be an IC and want to see if this is affordable.  Thanks. Chloe ...

Short Term Disability
Feb 25, 2013

My wife just went on short-term disability and so far has received a check for 3 days that is peanuts. I'm getting zero help from benefits/PR on this and Hartford is really pathetic. I know you get 50 percent, but 50 percent of what? She's a Level III MT. I calculated last years gross wage, divided it by 50%, divided by 26 so that should be the STD but I'm not sure what Hartford considers a base wage? Our attorney is curious too. Any one experience STD through Hartford/MMod ...

For Those On Disability Who Need To Change Professions (sm)
Jan 02, 2014

After I became disabled I went to the state Department of Rehabilitation and was amazed how much help they offer people who need to train for new careers.  The one I went do did complete testing to identify work limitations, gave tests for aptitude and desire for certain types of work, gave career counseling and even offered to pay for training programs, books, and software needed to change professions.  So for those who are disabled and working part time because of it, you might want ...

Short- Term Disability
Feb 08, 2014

Unfortunately, this week I sustained a tib-fib fracture and will need surgery. Has anyone had to deal with Cigna and short-term disability? Just want to know what I can expect. Thanks ...

Transcribing Disability Claims Reports
Mar 22, 2010

Just a new graduate question.  What is the difference in pay rate when transcribing medical claims assessment reports for the doctors.  Apparently it is alittle more because the Dr. charges the insurance companies @$200-$400 per report.  I am helping a local physician with some of his  "overflow", but want fair pay.  What does everyone think about $20/hour or $1/dictated minute or a flat rate per report.  Help!   ...

Can I As An IC MT Apply For Disability And/or Unemployment In WA State
Feb 17, 2013

I have been a MT (IC) for over 3 years with a company that has been bought out multiple times in the last 2 years. Recently I was diagnosed with venous insufficiency in both legs and 2 DVTs, due to sitting prolonged hours due to working this job mainly. I have not been working for the past 3 weeks and want to know what my options are for any compensation before I quit as I cannot work the prolonged hours any longer per my many specialists advice. It is not safe to continue to do so. I also have ...

RE: DISABILITY AND HIRING/FIRING PRACTICES
Mar 20, 2014

Hi, I was just pondering something: This does not apply to me personally, but I was curious as to whether any company, say MModal, Nuance, etc. have ever laid off any disabled employees, like visually impaired, paraplegic, etc. due to quality of work or whatever. I was curious if they have employees who work for them who are disabled in this way and if they have ever terminated any of them, what kind of legal trouble could they make?   ...

Any IC's Out There That Buy Short Term Disability Insurance
Aug 13, 2014

If so, through which insurance company, how much $, type of coverage, etc.  TIA. ...

Can We File A Class Action Disability Claim
Mar 03, 2010

I am feeling a little shell-shocked.   ...

Is It GCFC 1 With Regard To Mobility Level In Disability?
Jul 24, 2014

nm ...

Reliance Standard Short- And/or Long-term Disability Claims.
Jan 02, 2013

Has anyone had the misfortune to file a disability claim through your employer with this company?  On 11/19/12 HR at my employer sent them my paperwork and said it would take 7 days for a decision.  No decision yet and HR has not followed up, so I'm hung out to dry.  I have had to call Reliance constantly wanting to know what's going on and it's one excuse after another, making them and my employer look totally incompetent.  If you're paying for short- or ...

What Do You Do When You Can't Get A Supervisor
Mar 31, 2010

to respond to e-mails or phone calls?  I have never had a supervisor before that just wouldn't respond and I don't know what to do.  Any advice would be appreciated. ...