A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

age discrimination - anybody experience this?

Posted: Oct 02, 2013

I had an offer, everything looked great, but the minute they received my paperwork with my DOB on it, not another word from them, despite my emails.  Has anyone ever changed their DOB on an application to avoid this? TIA.

Reply to age discrimination - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
I have had a couple of instances recently very similar to yours; however, I did start to work for these companies and then all of a sudden, within a week or so of starting, they state that my services are no longer required and when asked as to why, I have never been given a reason.

I have also been submitting my resume to as many companies as possible, and I think from the resume and the number of jobs listed, they can guess what my age is. I truly think that the older MTs are being discriminated against, due to the fact that we realize the days of being paid a decent wage and now, these companies are offering peanuts. When I started working from home in the late 1980s I was making 5 cents a line and look at what these companies are offering now.

age discrimination sm - CrispyCritterMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I applied for an in-house job and only listed my jobs to 1986. I had an interview and gave them the rest of my resume (transcribing since 1976)and my education (graduated from HS in 1972). I really felt I had the job. I had a great interview and felt I really had the experience and expertise needed for the position. Then I got the "regret to inform you, we've narrowed the search to other candidates" email. Really think it was age discrimination. From now on though give my complete resume; however, have had no responses, probably also due to age discrimination IMHO.

You don't have to give your complete resume - and it is illegal for them

[ In Reply To ..]
to ask your DOB and illegal for them to ask the year you graduated. Don't offer it to them. It has no bearing on whether you can do the job. You highlight your abilities, skills, accomplishments, and certain jobs, not all jobs.

If they ask you where you see yourself in five years (trying to figure out your age), don't say "retired."

I put in a link (below) to an article/blog by an academic career counselor. It's something to think about, not always you, so don't take it personally. Job search requires thick skin and perseverance. It gets tough. I go weeks being unable to look, and even if I find something I know I would like and be capable of, I will talk myself out of even applying. It's a roller coaster.

I have been looking for a long time, and I think maybe a few humans have seen my resume. "I" have been sent to the circular file by many a computer program. Applied for a job on Thanksgiving last year and a few hours later was rejected. I know no human did that because certainly one was not working on Thanksgiving.

Good luck to everyone in their search.
I agree! Roller coaster ride and sometimes I can't do it... - MTRockyRoad
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your post! It's wonderful to learn that someone else is going through the same thing and experiencing this struggle!

I've been trying to thicken up my skin, too. This job searching has been challenging! Just this past Monday, I completed a lengthy, grueling hiring process and really, really came close to getting the job (passing through all steps), but then at the very last I did not make the final selection and instead received a one-sentence vague statement about how they're pursuing "other candidates." This is after resume, cover letter, application, three tests (one that took several hours and one that was technical), followed by a terrific 45-minute interview that felt like I had landed the job! The interviewer told me he would hire me right then if he could, but he had to submit all the material to HR for the final decision.

Then, all I received was a one-sentence rejection in my inbox with no explanation. Did they figure out my age? Was that held against me? I tried to find out why I was ultimately rejected, but the reply address didn't go through, so my mail was rejected, too! Truthfully, my legs started shaking, and I felt nauseated and suddenly very exhausted.

I decided I was not going to look for a while and take a break, but then I got a call from another place today and did a surprise, spontaneous phone interview (really not sure if those are a good or bad idea), but the interviewer seemed to like my answers, so now I have an interview in person tomorrow. Part of me just wants to call and cancel, but if I don't try, then I won't find anything. It just takes a lot out of a person! I've eaten a huge amount of humble pie, too. I'm tired of being rejected and tired of the effort this takes! I waffle between fear of being unemployed to angry at what's happening to medical transcription to excited about the prospect of doing something else. In all honesty, part of me loves being at home, but part of me feels trapped, isolated, and lonely.

Anyway, going to grab some sleep and try my best to land the job tomorrow.
Your last-minute interview offer sounds promising! - Im going to hold a good thought for you (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
about this, because it was kind of the same with me. Lots of rejections, over a period of several YEARS. Then, I stopped looking entirely, and decided the only thing left to do was take early social security, and try to supplement that with pet sitting and selling crafts and trinkets. It was AFTER I gave up, that I was contacted by someone who had a job opening. It was a perfect fit, and I now have a good-paying job for the first time in almost a decade. So don't give up hope 'til you're six feet under - you never know what might be waiting around the next corner.

Good luck, and go Ace that interview!

I think I would've stuck to the original resume - as far back as 1986, and not - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
given them the rest, back to 1972. Whenever I listed my whole working life, I never got a response. When I shortened it to my 2 most recent jobs, only back to 1980, I finally landed a job. I never put dates of graduation, dates of jobs, or date of birth. I held off giving my SS# until I had an actual job offer and was filling out paperwork, because they can get your age from your SS#, too. Eventually the truth gets out, but I think it's best to keep age a secret and prove to them what you can do. Once you get the job, they'll eventually find out.

Long ago, I used to think I'd never color my hair, and would just let it gray naturally. However, that was before the Great Recession, and the Great Drying Up of MT Jobs. So I color my hair, don't dress or act "old", and luckily can pass for 20 years younger than I really am. I also think it helps to try to learn something about the culture of the place you're applying. If it's a startup populated with 20-somethings, you're not too likely to be considered for a job. If it's an office that has has a good mix of workers, with more than just one 50+ worker, then the chances of getting hired go up, I think. My office has people who are all ages, but I'd say at least 50% are 40 and up. Most of us in my office are +/- 55, and it's been a really good fit. My other advice would be to network as much as possible. There are jobs out there that are never advertised, and prefer to hire employees that are referred by current employees.

Do not put a lot of jobs on resume - missy

[ In Reply To ..]
I went to a career workshop and they told us not to put more than 2 or 3 job listings on the resume. I know its hard to do, but he said they don't need more than 10 years worth of jobs listed. If you get an interview and they ask what is the most important part of your job do not say "money". ha ha say something about keeping the patient safe and the client happy by utilizing your expertise and experience in your field of transcription.

You might have a lawsuit. - old too

[ In Reply To ..]
Based on the fact you had an offer which suddenly disappeared when they found out your age.

You have no definite facts to file a - lawsuit, this is only what

[ In Reply To ..]
you believe, not what proof you have for certain. The last job I attained was over the age of 65 so age discrimination is not something I have run into.

On the other hand ... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
one personal anecdote does not prove anything, nor does your personal experiences have anything to do with the poster's experience. They are two completely separate facts. Whether she experienced age discrimination is completely separate from your experience.
And there are no facts of discrimination - only what she thinks
[ In Reply To ..]
not enough to file a lawsuit. Better have more than just what you think if you want to file a suit.
I agree with you. - wise one
[ In Reply To ..]
x

How do you know it was your DOB? A lot - of things could have happened

[ In Reply To ..]
to make them change their mind.

I had something similar happen a few years ago - But I think it was ID theft

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You can go to the EEOC on line to file - wise one

[ In Reply To ..]
a complaint about age discrimation. There is something that can be done about it and it is happening to a lot of people and the EEOC wants to know about it.

age discrimination - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not interested in a lawsuit. I just found it very strange that I had all the software loaded onto my computer, was getting the daily account update emails, and the minute that paperwork with DOB in it was faxed, it went silent.

Some applications require DOB and SS# - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been trying to get out of MT. The applications that I complete on-line request DOB and SS#, as well as graduation date required fields, especially the State job applications. The reason they give for this is that they do a background check on all candidates. I do not mind the background check, but this required information does tell your age. How does one get around that?
The state application where I live also - requests DOB but I never
[ In Reply To ..]
put my DOB in. The application still gets processed. I have wanted to apply at Starbuck's and even Lowe's, HD, and a local grocery chain, but they all require SS#, which IMO should not be put on an application. It is legal for them to ask it, but I would say not good policy.

Local hospital also wants SS# on application, and when I tried to type in all zeros, etc., all 1's, 123... it was rejected.

A lot of illegals are actually documented because they steal SS#s, set up fake papers, so when companies do everify, the SS# will come up as legitimate. This is why I don't want to put my SS# on an application. Someone is buying and selling SS#'s to help illegals get documented. There are other ways they steal/just make up the SS#s, but I don't want to hand mine over unless hired.
When you left info off state apps... - Did they hire you? No?
[ In Reply To ..]
They may be processing your application, but not hiring you because of the omission.

When you are looking for a job, it really doesn't help your case to exhibit behaviors that canbe seen as oppositional or possibly even paranoid.

This is especially true with federal and state jobs.

Similar Messages:

S/l His Deboyant Discrimination
Aug 29, 2011

His (deboyant) discrimination is 6 mm posteriorly and in all 5 digits. His capillary refill is brisk in all 5 hands. He has 5/5 FDP and FDS in digits 3-4. He has 5/5 extension of the MCP, PIP, and DIP joints, digits 2-5. ...

Discrimination Against California?
Feb 06, 2014

I've seen where some companies are not interested in hiring MLSs from California (presumably because of labor laws). I'm wondering if any Nuance MLSs from California have felt some bad vibes lately? I'm wondering if they want to get rid of us. ...

Discrimination Concern
Nov 03, 2014

Just a thought, has anybody noticed that all TLs and TSMs are CMTs.  I believe they discriminate against those of us who do not have our RMT or CMT for any positions of authority.  I have applied for many TL and TSM positions and have never heard a word.  They CYA by putting that preferred line in, but what they mean is don't bother.  I believe this is discrimination.  What do you all think??   ...

AGE DISCRIMINATION Complaint
Feb 22, 2015

Has anyone reading this ever filed an age discrimination complaint? I have never felt my age was an issue before this current situation, but now have the feeling that it is, at least for possible employers. Recently, I was offered an IC position. I completed the required IC paperwork and submitted it. After that I never heard another word from the intake person or the two people I was supposed to be working with to get set up to be an IC for this company. I emailed the intake person and one ...

Disability Discrimination By Supervisor
Jan 17, 2011

Basically, story goes like this.  Have been a transcriptionist many years.  Thought I was moving up to a better line count with another company (having trouble making ends meet).  Found this great pay rate with a national MTSO and signed on.  Couldn't work full schedule since the beginning due to medical problems but did work consistently part time with excellent accuracy and no job-related complaints, nothing but praise for working a very difficult account.  About ...

His Two-point Discrimination Is 6 Mm Both ??? And Aurally?
Apr 06, 2011

Sounds like periolly?? ...

Discrimination 6 Mm Both Feriorly And Honorly
Jul 18, 2011

discrimination 6 mm both feriorly and honorly.   Any thoughts????  ...

Age "Discrimination"
Nov 18, 2014

It's interesting that different doctors or speakers have different takes on ages. There's one doctor who seems to think just about everyone is "elderly", even a patient in her late 50s. Then there are doctors who refer to patients in their 60s as being "middle-aged." Regarding the doctor who refers to just about everyone as being "elderly", I thought maybe he's a young doc. So I Googled him to see if I can view him whether he looks young, but he looked like he was in his 50s hi ...