A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Dear dictating nurse practitioner, please organize your thoughts - before you start dictating!

Posted: Oct 14, 2014

I am not allowed to think for you!

Sincerely,

The Typing Zombie

I have done three extremely long H&Ps dictated by the same nurse practitioner and OMG.  She has dictated the entire physical exam and in the middle of dictating the extremities, she says, "He has been wearing O2 2 liters nasal cannula during the daytime hours."  No, go back up and put this in under vitals or respiratory.  Just, "There is peripheral edema.  Pedal pules are normal.  Skin is intact.  He has been wearking O2 2 liters..."  Then she says "his speech is normal with no slurring.  A little muffled when he's wearing his CPAP mask."  Well yeah!  Do we need to include that in the physical exam REALLY?!!

Sorry, I'm just hanging on by a very thin thread today with crappy dictation and just stupid, STUPID dictators who cannot seem to put a coherent sentence together to save their lives!  "He has TED hose worn."  And I'm typing VERBATIM so take that QA!  Have FUN!

Is it the same one - who dictates

[ In Reply To ..]
from her child's basketball game? Sneeeeeeeeakkkkkkkers squeakkkkkk. Whistles!!! She sometimes dictates from what sounds like Chuck E Cheese. Sorry for your day...

One time long ago, I had a doctor dictating - - sm - Lotus

[ In Reply To ..]
from his beach dune buggy, going up and down the dunes, engine roaring, kids in back squealing. Flaming ID!OT.

One time long ago, I had an NP who dictated - in front of the TV ...

[ In Reply To ..]
... in the evening, in front of the TV, with children screaming and programs blaring. She dictated during the commercials, so in between you had to listen to page flapping and her delightful family racket. See altho lisphed sewerely.

One fine night, in the middle of a thentence, see ewupted into a stwing of scweaming pwofanity. The f-word figured prominently in this, as did references to dogs' ancestry and blasphemy, as well as rude terms for anatomic parts.

It seemed that the kiddies' bunny wabbit had been roaming the room and had bitten her on the part she was seated upon.

Not only was this a delightful stroke of retribution, but I made a note of the dictation number and "please listen -- very inappropriate language. Obscenites. ?Policy violation?"

There were policies about inappropriate dictation, i.e., as well as a ban on removing records from the hospital. It was obvious from the recordings she had done both.

There were no further dictations from her, ever. I never saw her around the hospital again, either.

LOVED your story! - [Laughing hysterically] ;)

[ In Reply To ..]

I feel your pain. I type what they say. My job is not to - make them sound smart.

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to correct really egregious errors, but not any more.

Similar Messages:

Nurse Practitioner Dictating For Physician
Jan 19, 2010

I have a physician who needs ideas of verbage at the bottom of dictation in which his nurse practitioner dictates notes for him on patient's that they see together.  Has anyone provided anything like this before?  Any ideas? ...

To The Nurse Practitioner...
Feb 21, 2013

Just wanted to dedicate this post to the nurse practitioner who coughed very LOUDLY throughout two 10-minute reports I just did. Just to let you know, there is such a thing called the MUTE BUTTON. Thank you so much for just about blowing my ear drums out. I literally had to pull my ear plugs out so you wouldn't render me deaf. I feel sorry for whoever uses that dirty, germ-filled phone after you hacked a lung into it. Oh, and BTW, the phrase "carotid bruits" is not pronounced carotid brew- ...

To Dictating Nurse Eating Lunch
Dec 21, 2014

That was such a clever idea to multitask and eat your lunch while dictating, killing two birds with one stone, as they say.  It's so cute and funny hearing muffled words through your chomps and swallows.  I wish I could return the gesture and make your day more pleasant too.  Merry Christmas. ...

Organize?
Aug 06, 2011

I have been trying lately to come up with a strategy for organizing online workers, not just MTs, but all work-at-home workers who:  (1) Get called "contractors" when they're clearly employees; (2) Get paid by the unit but are required to perform tasks on the job which do not figure in their unit pay; (3) Are required to supply their own computer, internet, phone, and electricity; (4) Are competing for a race to the bottom on pay with workers from impoverished countries; (5) Are given ...

FIESA/Organize!!!
Sep 26, 2012

FIESA. Just forget about it!! I see many postings to just let FIESA go. Well, to some of us, this means letting $3600 go per quarter, 14,000+ per year. I can work at a far less demanding job with no BS for that and that is what I will be doing. There are many whose "incentive" bonus is a large part of their income and it cannot be forgotten unless the finance company for our cars, the mortgage broker, the pharmacies and doctors, the kids, the lives of their families, are forgotten as well. This ...

S/l IFE Or Nurse
Nov 13, 2012

A PICC line was placed in the ICU by the _____ nurse. Sounds like IFE nurse or ivy nurse, but I haven't found any references to either.  ...

For Those Of You Thinking About Becoming A Nurse
Jan 07, 2010

I just heard tonight from a lady who has been in school studying to become a nurse. She told me basically her schooling is now over. She made a 74.? in pharmacology and you have to have at least 75. She says she has spent so much money, really applied herself and now all that is over. There is only the 1 time, she tells me and she missed it. ...

Which Course For Experienced Nurse
Aug 11, 2010

I am looking into MT programs and wondering about one which advertises that it is geared to nurses: MT@Home Medical Transcription. It costs significantly less than the three programs which I see referenced quite a bit  -Andrews, M-Tec and Career Step, but it seems like these programs involve so much material that I already know. Years ago I did transcription for nurses, I've worked in hopitals/home and office environments as a nurse (also years ago) and I worked in pharmaceutical sales ...

Nurse Medical Transcriptionists ??
Jun 26, 2011

I came across an ad recently catering to unemployed new registered nurses who need jobs badly. I am understanding that the market for RNs and healthcare in general is saturated and then some; however, this article specifically stated "Nurse Medical Transcriptionists." I saw it on All Nurses forum; I don't remember the company . . . BUT a lot of nurses were responding with interest because they can't get jobs. The only thing that was running through my mind was "you have no idea people ...

RHIT Or Registered Nurse
Apr 15, 2012

Just wondering what the majority thinks about these career paths. It seems as though a lot of MTs are moving or considering a move  to the RHIT/RHIA world of especially medical coding. I am assuming that the lure of 'work at home' is pulling many in this direction, and I have actually seen where many are questioning whether medical coders are 'paid per code' or 'paid per case' or what? I asked myself what are these people thinking? Has anyone experienced this, ...

(again) Got A Call This Time From A Nurse
Mar 02, 2013

and she knew someone who is almost retirement age, having trouble making ends meet, no husband -- now she didn't know if she could spell, but she could probably  type -- and figured maybe she could do what I am doing.  She didn't get along well with people, so it would have to be an at-home position.  ARRRRRGGGGG!!!!  and could I help her... now I have had numerous calls such as these over the years, but from a NURSE!?  You'd think at least she ...

Anyone Went Back To School To Be A Nurse Or Rad Tech?
Dec 11, 2009

I need to find a real job with benefits and insurance so I am thinking about going to school to be a LPN or radiology tech.  Anyone done either of these?  Did you feel like your MT background helped in the courses?  I am 40 so I will have to take all that math and english before I can do anything.  Any advice.....?  Thanks ...

Registered Nurse Wants To Break Into MT Field
Jan 18, 2010

I have been working in this field for many, many years.  When I started, it was a little easier to break into this field.  It was in an era when everyone didn't work at home and every company didn't require 2 years experience.  I figured the newbies on this board would know the answer to my question.  I have a friend who has been an RN for years and would like to break into the MT field.  Being that she has terminology/medical experience, is there any way ...

Records Abstractor Jobs - Why Do They Want A Nurse?
Sep 06, 2012

And other types of medical records jobs as well.  Explain to me what makes a nurse qualified to do these jobs?  ...

Nurse's Or Nurses' Notes Which Is Correct?
Feb 17, 2014

Is it always correct to use nurses' notes in dictation?  My reasoning is that it is yes because there could be more than one nurse charting on the case.   ...

Ran Into A Trauma Nurse Yesterday This Isn't Good News
Mar 31, 2013

Of course we start talking about everything. Well my local hospital surgeons no longer dictate. Their medical students follow them around and are in charge of keeping track of everything and then later going in and entering it in the computer. This is a HUGE group of hospitals and I am sure impacts a lot of us. Also, my local doctors have begun bringing their computers into the room when your in for whatever, and doing the paperwork right there, on your dime or the insurance companies dime, ...

S/L VSE Protocol For Accidental Needle Stick Of A Nurse?
Jan 24, 2014

Not sure if they are saying VSE, PSE or BSE?  It's a protocol if a nurse or healthcare worker accidentially sticks themselves with a needle and I tried googling, but I can't find anything definitive.    TIA ...

Not Dictating Mg With Dose...what To Do?
Nov 25, 2009

The doctor is not including the word mg with doses of medication. Do I just transcribe what I hear or insert it? IE- simvastatin 10, vitamin E 400 b.i.d., metformin 850 b.i.d., ibuprofen 400 p.r.n ...

Dictating Out Of Order
Dec 07, 2009

This is driving me crazy!  My main account has several docs that dictate their review of systems and PE out of body system order, like instead of the neck head down, they dictate the abdomen or extremities first.  ...

Okay, I Have A New Resident Dictating A
Jul 02, 2010

3-day hopsital stay discharge summary.  It is 30 minutes long.  This going to be fun.  ...

YAWNING AND DICTATING
Jul 13, 2010

I very seldom vent or complain, but it has just got to me today.  This surgeon does such good dictation, EXCEPT when he yawns and continues to dictate.  How in the world does he think we can understand him when he does this.  It is not a little yawn either.  It almost makes me shutter when he does it.  I am sorry, I just had to finally vent after listening to him for 10 years. ...

Gah! Hang Up When You're Done Dictating!!!
Oct 01, 2010

He does this all the time...turns a 1.5-2 min dictation into a 15 minute dictation.  I fast forward through it, but I still have to "listen" to the whole file before I can turn in the dictation.  This is on top of being a horrible dictator; he whispers, shuffles papers, etc, and has extremely long pauses between words.  Gah!!!! Okay, just had to get that out of my system.  Thanks! ...

One Or 1 When Dictating Medication
Nov 06, 2010

I have always thought the numbers less than 10 should be in numeral form if referring to medication.  So I thought 1 tablet of Vicodin a day would be the appropraite way to type it or 2 tablets of Vicodin a day.  However, I am not sure.  Any ideas? ...

Resident Dictating
Mar 16, 2011

I've got a resident dictating and is on the PE.  "Blood pressure 110/80 and ___________ was 65 and regular." I know that the blank would be heart rate, but the res says something like "balance" or "bowels"....is there a new term or an old one that has escaped me? TIA ...

Gum Chewing While Dictating
May 21, 2011

I'm going freaking nuts!  I am trying to transcribe a resident's dictation (bad enough), but she's smacking and chewing gum throughout the whole thing.  It's so loud that I can hardly make out what she's saying.  I don't very often rant and rave, but ... I DON'T GET PAID TO HEAR SOMEONE CHEW GUM!!!!   ...

RNs Dictating - GRrrrrr!
Apr 10, 2012

Okay, if you're going to have an RN, FNP, or PA dictate for you, at least make sure they know the terminology!    I just suffered through at 10 minute discharge summary on a patient post CVA, and this lady was reading the CT scan and MRI reports of the brain into the record with clearly no idea at all of what she was reading or what it meant or how to pronounce the parts of the brain.  Thank goodness I've been around long enough to be able to get and idea and fill in so ...

EATING WHILE DICTATING!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 03, 2012

SO SICK OF DICTATORS EATING HARD CANDY, CHEWING GUM AND EATING CRUNCHY FOOD WHILE DICTATING!!!!!!!!!! NERVE WRACKING AND TIME CONSUMING WHILE WAITING FOR THEM TO MOVE THEIR FOOD AROUND AND SWALLOW!!!  NOT TO MENTION THE RATTLING OF CHIP BAGS....HOW UNPROFESSIONAL CAN YOU GET?????????? ...

So The Doc Just Sneezed While She Was Dictating
Aug 13, 2012

The doc sneezes twice and I muttered to myself "God bless you."  Apparently someone in the office did, too, because then the doc said "thank you."  The timing was perfect and it made me laugh.   ...

Every Time One Of These Dictating
Apr 01, 2013

doofuses puts in the wrong work type, the report should be sent back to them to fix.  How hard is to just put in the correct type?  I guess that's too simple. ...

Dictating Lab Values
Jul 06, 2013

dictating lab values: albumin 2.7, low. s/l "HU" ratio low at 0.6. ?? Thank you!! ...