A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

which course for experienced nurse - fridaybaker

Posted: Aug 11, 2010

I am looking into MT programs and wondering about one which advertises that it is geared to nurses: MT@Home Medical Transcription. It costs significantly less than the three programs which I see referenced quite a bit  -Andrews, M-Tec and Career Step, but it seems like these programs involve so much material that I already know. Years ago I did transcription for nurses, I've worked in hopitals/home and office environments as a nurse (also years ago) and I worked in pharmaceutical sales for almost 15 years as well. I've seen some questions submitted on this forum from experienced MT's and was able to come up with answers to their questions on my own. Also, I recently submitted a "pre-test" for entrance to a program and scored 95%. I do see that most MT's think that to get a job you need to have a completed one of the "big three" courses, but I'm wondering whether my experiene will make up for that. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, Amy

mt - why

[ In Reply To ..]
WHY did you want to do this? Have you looked at the other posts to see why YOU WOULD NOT want to do this, particularly after nursing? Looking for more income, looking to retire from nursing and VERY LITTLE income, want something to do, as there is nothing here most of the time. My last check was $600 for 2 weeks, used to be over double that in 2003, and gone downhill since then, and sitting around waiting for work. The schools are looking to make money, that is why they still advertise. My small town of 2000 people the clinic has now gone electronic and 6 MTs out of a job and next year the hospital will do the same and more will lose their jobs. If the small clinics are doing it . . .

My advice - stick with nursing. MT is a dead occupation...Maybe try coding?.. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
;

Coders say coding - is going away too.

[ In Reply To ..]

Which coders say that? - SM - Aspiring coder

[ In Reply To ..]
There are a lot of advertisements for coding jobs. I'm in school and doing an internship with my employer, no indication of coding going away in my neck of the woods. It's changing as more things go electronic, but not going away. Anyone with a nursing background would do well, as would an MT who could use their skills in both areas.

I would go with one of the big 3 - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I also came from a clinical position, and I knew a good portion of the material before I came into this job, but I still went through CareerStep as I knew people in the industry and knew that I would have a very hard time getting a job without it. If you take the cheaper course, you may luck up and find a job. I can't speak for the other schools, but at CareerStep, I was able to test through and skip material. I finished it in about 6 months, but this was while working full time and having kids. So, there were times that I spent very little time on schooling.

I'm not sure what specialty you work in, but you may find that the courses really help you when you come to specialities you haven't really worked in and also op notes.

I used to be in a hiring position - me

[ In Reply To ..]
and I would recommend, in order of preference:
1. Andrews.
2. M-TEC.

Beware of schools that let you self-correct your work or skip portions of the course. You will not receive a complete education. Good luck to you.

I would not recommend this field at all - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Reasons for switching careers? - mt2long

[ In Reply To ..]
Nurses make more money than MTs. As a nurse you likely also have benefits, paid time off, vacation time, healthcare.

People with decades of experience in MT are now finding themselves having to accept (as you see with a post above yours) 7 and 8 cpl which is like $14-16/hr.

While your nursing degree may come with a knowledge base of anatomy and physiology, it's the other parts of MT that may be where you need to concentrate. The adage you get what you pay for can go a long way in your choice of school. I'm not saying if you pay $5k for a program you'll be any more employable than if you pay $2k, but it is something to consider.

Whatever school you choose, make sure they have a placement program because if you browse through just these pages, you'll see new graduates just aren't finding jobs that easily.

Good luck

mt course - fridaybaker

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm still researching this field. I haven't worked in nursing for some time and wouldn't go back. Not my interest. Am looking for something which I may, at least eventually, be able to do at home. I tend to be pretty competent at language and writing in general, have some experience with transcription and, of course, have quite a bit of medical language already. I think that the nursing background would also help in that it would give a more fully developed understanding of context. Those are my reasons for looking into MT.

I know that it seems that everyone here is unhappy but it also seems that everyone everywhere is unhappy. My husband has a small business in which he can't seem to get anyone to work much at all. Most folks receive enough in welfare/disability so that they'd rather live on that. The other part of the equation is that his costs, due to regulations and fees/taxes are becoming so exhorbitant that it really doesn't pay to try and build a business and hire anyone. He's laid off over 30 people in the last year (over 50% of the work force) and is genuinely considering just doing the job himself. The heck with the pain of trying to employ anyone. So, I guess we're all in the same boat, at least to some degree.

As far as nursing goes, when I quit hospitals were going to laying off full time employees to avoid the incredible burden of paying for everything under the sun for employees -med. benefits for state-of-the-art medical care, 401k's, disability/workers' comp. insurance, etc., etc., etc. They went to laying off tons of nurses, only to hire "patient care assisants" at a few dollars an hour. And then, there are the shifts. And the patients -ever had an MT client throw a full glass of orange juice at your face? Ever been "caned" -yes, hit with a cane? Ever had a doctor hand you, unexpedtedly, an overflowing syringe full of spinal fluid -from an AID's patient? Ever had a client wipe feces on you? Urinate on you?

Perhaps the MT field isn't what it once was, but what is? Anyway, thanks again for the input. I'm still cogitating.....

if your husband is business owner and your paycheck is - not crucial-- go for it! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Posted in wrong place. - none
[ In Reply To ..]
N/A
MT Field - Fridaybaker
[ In Reply To ..]
Reading all of these posts has helped me appreciably. I think I'm getting a pretty clear picture of the current situation in the MT market. Yes, what I'm looking for, at least right now, is something that isn't necessarily going to be a family-supporting wage or a "career". I guess I'm looking for something that mayn't pay great, but offers many of my priorities right now, such as flexibility in hours and working from home.

Perhaps I'm just coming from a different perspective from many here and so approach it differently, as well. My "career" in life paid quite well and the work was easy, easy, easy compared to nursing! However, that's over now, just not realistic at this age and at this stage of life. So, I'm quite ready to accept a significantly smaller wage for what seems to me to be largely convenient work. I do sympathize with those who are doing this full time. I can indeed see where that is a difficult proposition.

Thanks again for all of the input!

I hear you! - Ann

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a nurse who trained for MT while still working as a nurse. I understand so well what you are saying in your post. There is so much abuse in nursing and it comes from patients/clients, doctors, administration, family members, other nurses and staff, the list goes on and on. No one can really understand all the smacks, kicks, punches, things thown on and at you as in nursing unless they walked in your shoes. I also grew wearing of the abuse and if it were not for it, I would probably still be there. I tried once to explain this on a board and just got ridiculed for being a "disgruntled, burned out nurse," so I won't elaborate further. I just want you to know I hear you and I understand.

I took the Meditec course, but am not so sure I would recommend it unless you also take the intern program because that will make up for what the actual course lacks. My nursing background was very helpful for context even for things I was not 100% familiar with and helped me research in unfamiliar disciplines for procedures, equipment, etc. I thought the money was supposed to be good or at least reasonable. Well, that has been disappointing. I had also expected the MT world to be a good lateral move to make from nursing and it was not. Yes, I had medical terminology and context for the profession, but MTSOs don't accept nursing as experience they can use. Also, I had to relearn some things for MT that I used a different way in nursing, such as abbreviations. For the most part, nursing (where I am and learned, anyway) nursing abbreviations are generally uppercase without periods, in MT it is the opposite (though sometimes may differ depending on client specs). In essence, I found there are MT rules that I had never heard of in nursing. So, a good school with a placement program will probably help you a lot if you can swing it. If I did not have a husband to pay the mortgage, I would not be able to do this, thus I still have my nursing license current just in case. I find I still prefer MT and working from home even though the pay is not as good.

I don't know if this is helpful, I am just sharing. Good luck to you and God Bless.
Internships help fill in if the MT program is poor - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
The internship is the only way to fix a poor course. It doesn't always work, because the internships can't hire all of the interns and the other employers raise their eyebrows if you are an internship 'reject' or one that didn't get hired permanently after the internship.

You can get stuck in some really poor, low-paying jobs with the combination of a poor MT program + internship. I wouldn't recommend doing it that way.
I agree with you - Ann
[ In Reply To ..]
I certainly agree with you. I was just taling about what I did. If I'd known better at the time, I absolutely would have chosen a better school and I know which three they are now, I didn't then. I felt I needed the internship because I had started to read MT boards and MTs were talking about things that had never been introduced in training. Had I not had any medical background, I probably would have been really lost.
I wish you lots of success. It sounds like you're a hard worker - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Excellent message. You are definitely doing your homework - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Nurses being laid off and/or replaced by "patient care assistants" - I did not know that

[ In Reply To ..]
You paint a colorful picture. Thanks for posting.
That is true - Jane
[ In Reply To ..]
Nurses are being laid off and replaced by patient care assistants, nurse aides, orderlies, patient techs, certified nurse aides, etc. None of these titles are licensed and only require minimal, roughly 40 hours, of "instruction." If you can't take care of yourself in the hospital, rehab center or nursing, you might want to try to have a family member come in and help you out.

Not everyone is unhappy - not me, at least

[ In Reply To ..]
I know happy MTs, but you won't see many of them posting on these boards.

I've been happy with it for 15 years, still love it.

As for schooling, M-Tec used to have tiers for various levels of training, you might check into that.

Fridaybaker - working at home is great, but--

[ In Reply To ..]
Seriously, it's the only field where the pay is dropping from year to year, because of offshore competition. I'm on my first at-home MT job, and it's great to work a relaxed schedule, and come to work in my tank top and shorts, and not worry about coworkers being in a bad mood, or an angry supervisor. The $400 paycheck for 2 weeks, because my account dried up, is not so great. It is not so great or relaxing to log on past my bedtime because a few jobs have finally showed up in my queue. It is not so great to accept another job and hope that maybe this one will be better, and have more steady work, even though it pays less cpl. (I'll find out how my new job is next week though!) These are the hard facts of what it means to go into a "dying field" where you have years of experience but no bargaining leverage, and the supply of your services far exceeds the demand for your services. Like the store owner trying to sell the last of her summer clothing in October-- You have to sell your skills for rock-bottom prices, and even at that, the buyers are going to be extremely picky.

I agree with you - I would add

[ In Reply To ..]
being expected to be at your desk during your assigned schedule and never knowing if or when you will have work. I get up at 4 a.m. every morning hoping I will have some work to do. I then never know if it will take me 6, 8 or more hours to finish my required 6 hours of clocked time a day. If you run out of work, too bad. No pay today. Companies overhire and let MTs sit around waiting and fighting for the work as it comes in one by one. Then wait again and on and on.... You can't make any money this way. It is impossible.

This job used to be so flexible and convenient. Now it has been reduced to a minimum wage paying sweatshop type of job. Yes, I'm at home, but I feel like I have no life because I'm constantly struggling to get my lines and hours in...and for what? No respect, minimum wage and complete and total unpredictability? Just please be aware that no matter what an MT, school or recruiter tells you, that the exact opposite could happen. There is no stability and no respect left in this field as far as I'm concerned, and I've only been around since the late 90s. My wages have consistently fallen over the years, and truthfully I began to blame myself (until I found this site). I thought I was doing something wrong, not pushing myself hard enough, etc. Now all the pieces are coming together....the lack of raises, line rate cuts, voice recognition pay cuts, offshoring, bouncing around on so many accounts it makes your head spin, etc. It all makes perfect sense.

So I guess this long-winded response is really just to give you the reality of one MT's world right now. Please proceed cautiously. I would hate to advise anyone to invest a large sum of money for training that might never develop into a well-paying job with any security at all.

Similar Messages:

S/l IFE Or Nurse
Nov 13, 2012

A PICC line was placed in the ICU by the _____ nurse. Sounds like IFE nurse or ivy nurse, but I haven't found any references to either.  ...

For Those Of You Thinking About Becoming A Nurse
Jan 07, 2010

I just heard tonight from a lady who has been in school studying to become a nurse. She told me basically her schooling is now over. She made a 74.? in pharmacology and you have to have at least 75. She says she has spent so much money, really applied herself and now all that is over. There is only the 1 time, she tells me and she missed it. ...

To The Nurse Practitioner...
Feb 21, 2013

Just wanted to dedicate this post to the nurse practitioner who coughed very LOUDLY throughout two 10-minute reports I just did. Just to let you know, there is such a thing called the MUTE BUTTON. Thank you so much for just about blowing my ear drums out. I literally had to pull my ear plugs out so you wouldn't render me deaf. I feel sorry for whoever uses that dirty, germ-filled phone after you hacked a lung into it. Oh, and BTW, the phrase "carotid bruits" is not pronounced carotid brew- ...

Nurse Medical Transcriptionists ??
Jun 26, 2011

I came across an ad recently catering to unemployed new registered nurses who need jobs badly. I am understanding that the market for RNs and healthcare in general is saturated and then some; however, this article specifically stated "Nurse Medical Transcriptionists." I saw it on All Nurses forum; I don't remember the company . . . BUT a lot of nurses were responding with interest because they can't get jobs. The only thing that was running through my mind was "you have no idea people ...

RHIT Or Registered Nurse
Apr 15, 2012

Just wondering what the majority thinks about these career paths. It seems as though a lot of MTs are moving or considering a move  to the RHIT/RHIA world of especially medical coding. I am assuming that the lure of 'work at home' is pulling many in this direction, and I have actually seen where many are questioning whether medical coders are 'paid per code' or 'paid per case' or what? I asked myself what are these people thinking? Has anyone experienced this, ...

(again) Got A Call This Time From A Nurse
Mar 02, 2013

and she knew someone who is almost retirement age, having trouble making ends meet, no husband -- now she didn't know if she could spell, but she could probably  type -- and figured maybe she could do what I am doing.  She didn't get along well with people, so it would have to be an at-home position.  ARRRRRGGGGG!!!!  and could I help her... now I have had numerous calls such as these over the years, but from a NURSE!?  You'd think at least she ...

Anyone Went Back To School To Be A Nurse Or Rad Tech?
Dec 11, 2009

I need to find a real job with benefits and insurance so I am thinking about going to school to be a LPN or radiology tech.  Anyone done either of these?  Did you feel like your MT background helped in the courses?  I am 40 so I will have to take all that math and english before I can do anything.  Any advice.....?  Thanks ...

Registered Nurse Wants To Break Into MT Field
Jan 18, 2010

I have been working in this field for many, many years.  When I started, it was a little easier to break into this field.  It was in an era when everyone didn't work at home and every company didn't require 2 years experience.  I figured the newbies on this board would know the answer to my question.  I have a friend who has been an RN for years and would like to break into the MT field.  Being that she has terminology/medical experience, is there any way ...

Nurse Practitioner Dictating For Physician
Jan 19, 2010

I have a physician who needs ideas of verbage at the bottom of dictation in which his nurse practitioner dictates notes for him on patient's that they see together.  Has anyone provided anything like this before?  Any ideas? ...

Records Abstractor Jobs - Why Do They Want A Nurse?
Sep 06, 2012

And other types of medical records jobs as well.  Explain to me what makes a nurse qualified to do these jobs?  ...

Nurse's Or Nurses' Notes Which Is Correct?
Feb 17, 2014

Is it always correct to use nurses' notes in dictation?  My reasoning is that it is yes because there could be more than one nurse charting on the case.   ...

To Dictating Nurse Eating Lunch
Dec 21, 2014

That was such a clever idea to multitask and eat your lunch while dictating, killing two birds with one stone, as they say.  It's so cute and funny hearing muffled words through your chomps and swallows.  I wish I could return the gesture and make your day more pleasant too.  Merry Christmas. ...

Ran Into A Trauma Nurse Yesterday This Isn't Good News
Mar 31, 2013

Of course we start talking about everything. Well my local hospital surgeons no longer dictate. Their medical students follow them around and are in charge of keeping track of everything and then later going in and entering it in the computer. This is a HUGE group of hospitals and I am sure impacts a lot of us. Also, my local doctors have begun bringing their computers into the room when your in for whatever, and doing the paperwork right there, on your dime or the insurance companies dime, ...

S/L VSE Protocol For Accidental Needle Stick Of A Nurse?
Jan 24, 2014

Not sure if they are saying VSE, PSE or BSE?  It's a protocol if a nurse or healthcare worker accidentially sticks themselves with a needle and I tried googling, but I can't find anything definitive.    TIA ...

Dear Dictating Nurse Practitioner, Please Organize Your Thoughts
Oct 14, 2014

I am not allowed to think for you! Sincerely, The Typing Zombie   I have done three extremely long H&Ps dictated by the same nurse practitioner and OMG.  She has dictated the entire physical exam and in the middle of dictating the extremities, she says, "He has been wearing O2 2 liters nasal cannula during the daytime hours."  No, go back up and put this in under vitals or respiratory.  Just, "There is peripheral edema.  Pedal pules are normal.  Skin is ...

Has Anyone Experienced...
Apr 12, 2010

I was wondering if anyone has expereinced having applied to an advertisement for a transcription job with any particular MTSO, receiving an "invitation to test" at around midnight, and then attempting to take the test.  What I found when attempting to take the "transcription test", was an hour and a half of written test, not a voice file transcription test, with very detailed questions.  I spent an hour and a half taking this test and checking every answer on the internet, whether I th ...

To VERY Experienced MTs
Feb 21, 2012

I have about 25 years in MT, owning a MTS and filling other roles in the field as well. Frequently on this board I read the frustrated posts from those with 20 to 30 years of experience who have submitted resumes/applications but do not hear back from the hiring company.  A couple of times I have suggested that OVERQUALIFICATION may explain the lack of call back.  Both times I was personally verbally attacked on this board, with the notion called "ridiculous" and "absurd." ...

Advice From The Experienced?
Jul 28, 2011

I am a newbie MT and wanted some advice from those of you more experienced than I. Today, every single dictation I have had is from a foreign doctor..the latest one said (not kidding) toe bec abu in da pa...which I finally made out to be tobacco abuse in the past. My line count is horrible! How do you compensate for reports like this that take a long time, while maintaining a decent line count? Thanks. ...

Is 14 Cpl Fair For Experienced IC?
Mar 28, 2012

I have been an IC for over 5 years and have decided to increase my rates from 12 cpl to 14 cpl.  In doing that, one of my doctors is thinking about replacing me.  I thought 14 cpl was a fair rate.  What does everyone else think? ...

I Think That All/most Of The Good, Experienced MTs
Mar 01, 2015

are going to end up quitting as soon as they possibly can, leaving behind a ton of newbies that will be super EASY to catch errors on (sorry newbies but you know it's true---it was true of myself when I was new).  And the newbies won't complain about getting 7 cpl EVERY week.  How's THAT for patient safety for ya? ...

Experienced But Feeling Like A Newbie!
Sep 12, 2011

I have been a transcriptionist for the past 10 years, working in cardiology, acute care and now radiology. I do radiology part-time from home right now and most shifts I do not even average minimum wage because of a shortage of work. The company I work for is small and works two typists per shift when there is only enough work for one. It is so frustrating! I have sent out about 20 resumes in the last couple of weeks and haven't heard a word from anyone. It used to be so easy to get a job b ...

Are Experienced MTs Finding Work Now Or Is There
Jan 05, 2012

not much out there. ...

Experienced MT Needing Work
Jan 10, 2012

I've been reading about various companies out there and wondering which ones are good and which ones to stay away from. Thanks!    ...

Hourly Wage As Experienced MTs At $.08/65 CPL
Jun 18, 2012

I'm just trying to figure out what the hourly wage might be for an "experienced"  MT if they were to start making $.08 per 65 cpl if they had a pretty good account and could type 75 words per minute.....and just an estimate would be appreciated...Thank you for your input. ...

I Have An Idea And Need A Couple Of Experienced
Oct 17, 2012

I would like to open a dialogue with 2 or 3 individuals with a minimum of 15 years experience in the field of medical transcription.  There is an alternative to explore in terms of taking back our profession and our livelihoods, and I need a couple of people knowledgeable in our field to brainstorm an idea with me.  No naysayers, please.  I want to talk to people who have not already given up on MT and are willing to think outside the box with me to seriously consider the feasibil ...

Another Experienced MT Fired From MModal
Feb 27, 2014

Sixteen years through various company takeovers, valued myself as extremely proficient, kept to the background, did my part in the team effort w/extra hours worked through countless holidays (what's a holiday?), parent illnesses, death, children's college, spousal layoffs, etc.  Watched in horror as my career was shredded with more and more condescending nonsense from QA to "classes," redundant pep rally conference calls, all leading to an after-shift (oh yes, I worked yesterday) ...

A Question For Experienced Coders
Mar 14, 2014

What are you thoughts on coders being paid on production/by the chart? As a recent graduate who is continuously learning, I just don't see how this could be a good thing, but maybe I'm wrong. Please - no bashing. I am just curious on opinions of seasoned coders. Thank you for any input. ...

Just Experienced The Power Hour
Dec 19, 2014

so for 1 hour we are going to get work from another POD that is way behind.....well guess what, if I had stayed in my own POD which is also flooded with work, I would have accomplished over 400 lines, but in this "power hour"  I typed a total of 95 lines because I spent all my time reading over client profiles and looking up old jobs making sure I got everything right. The hour is up, and strange jobs are coming in so I signed out for a break. Yeah...this power hour works really well. ...

Question For Experienced Coder
Jun 10, 2015

Would an experienced coder be willing to help me with a question via private email?  I am very new in school and feeling stumped already on something that seems very basic.  It has me wondering if I can do this after all. ...

Company That Will Pay An Experienced (30 Years) MT More Than $.09/line?
Jul 17, 2010

Anyone know of a company that will pay an experienced (30 years) MT more than $.09/line? ...