A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Will More People With Health Insurance = More Medical Coding and Billing Jobs? - Wondering

Posted: Jun 29, 2012

The people I know who will now be getting medical insurance will obviously now go to the doctor when they get sick. It makes sense to me that there will be more coding and more billing, right? That's a good thing for us I think.

Coding and billing jobs - On site MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Obamacare does not go into effect until 2014 and it's not a done deal. If we have a Republican president in November, things could change again. Nothing is as simple as it appears, a lot of billing and coding can be done by computer now, especially in an outpatient setting. I hope you are right about more jobs but no one knows what will happen with any certainty.

This is exactly what the post below is talking about - i.e., seeing only one kind of coding job

[ In Reply To ..]
You are not a coder and you seem to see coding as that "one job" mentioned in the post below. You see it as only the small part of coding that can be handled by computer.

You do not understand what coding is, so you do ot understand what the computer can do and how that relates to the job. Not only does that not take our jobs away, but there is a lot more to it that cannot be done by computer.

I wish this board could prevent noncoders from making uninformed statements that end up perpetuating ignorance and misleading others.

And please do not turn this topic into a political rant.

How do you know what I am? - On site MT

[ In Reply To ..]
And if I'm not a coder, I'm still entitled to my opinion, unless the coding board has become exclusive without my knowledge. From one ignorant person to another.....
Easy--you do not understand what coding is. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
You are saying things that noncoders would believe about coding, not what coders know to be true about coding.

It is very obvious. If I showed your post around at work, everyone would say "Not a coder!" and roll their eyes.
Not a coder - On Site MT
[ In Reply To ..]
So what? In your eyes, that makes me some kind of low life? If I showed this at work, I can tell you that the no one would give a rip. First of all no one has time for this, we're too busy doing our jobs. FYI, I considered coding as an option if/when MT ended for me and completed a program, and I do understand what it is. I hated it, and thankfully things are going well in transcription. However, my choice doesn't mean I'm stupid or incapable of learning, as you seem to speak. Anyone here who questions coding as a profession or challenges that anyone considering it needs to weigh their decision carefully, they are attacked by you or one of your cronies from the Andrews School. If you're an example of the people I'd be working with, I'm glad I chose to continue as an MT. I can't believe your arrogance.
I think the only issue was . . . - Computers
[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure where this blew up, but the only issue seemed to be the to be the bit about computers taking over coding.

No one said anything about you being stupid. It just said you did not appear to be a coder because you don't understand how computers will affect coding.

Maybe you did take a coding course, but you are not a working coder. I agree that there is a lot of knowledge gained on the job, and in a variety of jobs, that affect understanding of computer use in coding.

If you found you did not like coding, there is nothing wrong with that. Nobody wants you to do a job that you dislike.

You can state your belief that going into coding is useless because computers will be doing it, but you should not be surprised that others contradict you.

I work for a healthcare system, not at Andrews, and I do not see how my understanding of computerized coding can be blamed on them.
Computers - On site MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think I said that computers were taking over coding, but CAC does exist, particularly in the outpatient setting, my facility uses it. I pointed it out because the OP was asking about the future of billing and coding jobs, I expressed my opinion, nothing more. Then, someone began taunting and saying how others looked down on me and would roll their eyes because I obviously was not a coder. We're all permitted different points of view, what a boring world it would be if we all saw things the same.
I understand what you are saying - Not the OP
[ In Reply To ..]
I understand what you are saying. I also agree with the OP that what you are saying is not the whole picture of coding, but certainly what you said is also true. Technology is always changing the way we do things, even in coding. I believe there will be coding jobs for years to come, for many of the reasons the OP gave, but I appreciate the points you made as well.

Increased utilization of healthcare services - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Increased demand for healthcare services is expected, so there will be a need for healthcare workers in general. In addition to the new law, there will be more consumers of healthcare as the baby-boomer generation reaches Medicare age.

That will result in an increase in coding jobs, as well as jobs in fields related to coding.

Because MTs do pretty much one job of listening and transcribing or VR, and that job never advances or has any other jobs relating to it or extending from it, they tend to see coding as one job, either a front-office billing job or a hospital job in which you read records and apply codes. They see ONLY that job . . . one MT job and one coder job. They visualize coding as something that looks exactly like MT except for the headset.

The variety of jobs in coding or which require a knowledge of it is very extensive. So, yes, while there will be more jobs just because of the need to bill more insurance, there will be more of all jobs related to coding. There is already an increase in jobs related to ICD-10, to EHRs, and in informatics. Jobs in clinical documentation improvement are beginning to explode, in fact.

All these other jobs you listed require schooling - Sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You simply cannot work in informatics if you have just a CCS certification and no degree. All jobs I've seen in informatics require a bachelors in IT or informatics. All clinical documentation jobs I've seen require a clinical degree, like nursing. You need the education to get these types of jobs, at least at the seven hospitals where I live. I've been a coder for a year and my CCS will get me nothing more than a coding job or coding supervisor unless I get a degree. And yes, I've been told this by several hospitals that I've applied to.

You can CHOOSE not to pursue further education - Why not choose MORE?

[ In Reply To ..]
No one said you would not need any further education. The point was that there are many different avenues available to coders, so no one considering coding should look at it as one job.

If you have a CCS, you have a high school diploma or the equivalent. You are therefore eligible to attend college and intelligent enough to complete a degree.

You have a job that pays well and which may have educational benefits. You have advice available from AHIMA-affiliated managers and coworkers. You have advice available HERE from people who have gone on for further education.

It makes absolutely no difference if you have a college locally, because many have online programs. You seem to have a computer and internet access, but if you did not you could get them.

If you only have a high school diploma, you are probably eligible for a Pell Grant that would not require repayment. Unless you chose a diploma mill--and there is NO reason anyone should do that and innumerable reasons why they should NOT--the cost would low enough that it would not be burdensome on your current salary even if you had to get a loan.

Given all of that, what is stopping you? What hangup is so overwhelming that it is preventing you from improving yourself?

Even more important, what hangup is so overwhelming that OTHERS need to be discouraged because if it? What is such an obstacle to you that you find it necessary to drive perfect strangers away from your career field? That is what you have been doing, after all.

The word "schooling" is not usually applied to college education, so it may be that you do not have much experience with or exposure to higher education. You might not understand how college education works. Maybe you hated high school and think college will be the same, or maybe your friends and family ridicule education, or maybe you belong to a religious group that discourages it, ot maybe your ethnic group thinks it is something only men do, or maybe you just have a fear of it. Or, maybe you buy into the stupid belief that you are too old.

Whatever it is, it seems to be holding you back. I think you could find a counselor at a community college (one affiliated with a state system, not a sales "counselor" at a diploma mill) to help with that.

Here is the reality of your situation. A bachelor's degree in HIM (informatics, in fact) leading to the RHIA can be completed at Western Governors, in an AHIMA-accredited program, in less time than other colleges. With what you already know about coding, you can complete all that material very quickly. The same goes for most of the rest of the HIM material. Many students complete BA there is 2-1/2 years. You probably can, too.

That program is entirely online, provides excellent support for independent and motivated students, is well-respected, nonprofit, and excellent with technology. It is a lot easier there than at a brick-and-mortar college.

Your managers and the hospital you work for know this. They DID this. They know you could do it. They NEED you to do it because right now you do not have all the knowledge you need to advance.

This is a choice. You can choose it or not, but if you choice is "no," recognize that is YOUR OWN DOING. It is not coding that is the problem, or your employer, or colleges . . . it is your choice. And stop trying to get others to buy into your negative belief system, because they did nothing to deserve being held back.

Coding is an excellent field. HIM has a lot of well-paying jobs. The road to them is open to you, but you need to CHOOSE IT.

Similar Messages:

Coding/Medical Billing Jobs?
May 05, 2012

How plentiful are the jobs for coders and medical billers? Currently I am an MT but looking into other career options. Thanks! ...

Medical Billing/Coding
Feb 13, 2015

Does any one know of any good medical billing and coding schools online? ...

Transcriptionist Also Does Medical Coding/billing?
Nov 16, 2009

I was wondering if anyone who is a transcriptionist also does medical coding/billing.  I wonder if we are any safer with this field and what the pay is like.  It looks to be about the same from what I have found on line.  I have been doing transcription for 10 years and am getting tired of what is happening in the industry.  It is tedious, hard work to sit on your butt all day and only get paid when your fingers are on the keys.  I am thinking of working in an office or hospital for a chang ...

Information On Medical Billing/coding
Sep 08, 2010

I am interested in obtaining some information on the medical billing/coding certifications.  If anyone has class or school informaiton that is realiable I would greatly appreciate it.  I am looking for online certificated classes. Thanks ...

Future In Medical Coding / Billing
Feb 08, 2012

I have a question about coding and billing.  For three years in the '90s, I coded and transcribed for a small, rural, hospital.  I was responsible for outpatient, ER, inpatient, surgical etc. coding and transcription.  It was mostly ICD-9, and HCPC coding.  If I want to code from home in the future, what would you suggest I do, an online program?  Do you think coding from home would be an opportunity or do most hospitals/clinics/physicians require experience at a facility first, and wo ...

Is Medical Billing/coding Also Going Overseas?
Aug 03, 2013

gotta be honest, i despise medical transcription - booorrrrring - BUT i still want to work at home. i know coding/billing probably isn't any more interesting, but because i still want to work at home, i'm considering learning it. does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience with it? if so, is it, too, also going overseas? are there any work at home jobs that are not going overseas? ...

Medical Coding And Billing Sites
Oct 07, 2013

Hello out there. Are there any medical coding and billing sites like this one. Any information on websites or where to look would be greatly appreciated. ...

MT Looking To Take A Course In Either Medical Billing Or Coding To Have Something Else For Training
Feb 25, 2014

I need to make a switch if I should lose my transcription job. Which would you recommend to get into first? Wondering if I should take a medical billing course first which would help me get hired somewhere else and does have a billing background help with coding?? I have a local vocational school that offers a medical billing course but nothing nearby that offers coding. Also I would prefer to do an online course and not sure which one would be the best. I don't want to spend money if ...

Medical Transcription Versus Coding/billing
Jan 18, 2010

Does anyone have an idea which career might pay best, medical transcription or medical billing/coding? I am curious about which pays best. ...

My Thoughts On Learning Medical Billing And Coding
Nov 09, 2011

After seeing the writing on the fall for MTs, I started school 1 year ago.  I am currently in an online associates degree program.  I am an on-the-job trained MT.  I also earned my CMT through a lot of self study and I work hard to keep that CMT credential (no bashing.  Needed it at the time for the job I had).  My college program is currently business administration with a completion in medical billing and coding.  I already know that to get a coding certifica ...

Part Time Jobs With Health Insurance?
Aug 29, 2010

Does anyone know of companies who give health ins to part timers? I know Walmart does after 1 year on the job. I'm desperate, can't afford the Cobra premium. Thanks. ...

Bus Driver Said She Graduated From Medical Billing/coding School
Sep 25, 2012

and the reason she's driving a bus is because she hasn't been able to find a job as a coder since graduation. I asked her if she took her certification exam yet, and she said no. I didn't say anything but maybe this is the reason why she hasn't gotten hired yet. ...

Penn Foster Coding And Medical Billing Program?
Jan 29, 2015

Hello, Just wanting opinions/experiences with Penn Foster's Training Program Coding and Medical Billing. Thanks in advance. ...

Health Insurance For Medical Transcriptionist
Oct 28, 2009

I was wondering for all of you MTs who work full-time from home, what health insurance does your company provide you and your family with and how much do you pay out of pocket? I work for a company (will not mention the name) and pay $62 per pay period (for just me) which I didn't think was so bad - BUT i just found out I have a $3500 calender year deducible and will have to pay 35% of hospital fees if admitted (which I will be in 2010). So besides paying the $62 monthly, I will be paying $ ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

Health Insurance For Self-employed Medical Transcriptionist
Feb 18, 2011

My husband is 6 years old than I am and retiring and starting Medicare in couple months.  I have always been on his insurance.  Anyone have any good leads to health insurance for us self-employed types.  Thanks. ...

Using Dragon Medical Practice, Version 2 For Transcription, Coding, Billing, Editing - Is It Worth I
Dec 29, 2014

It was recently suggested to me that I get Dragon Medical practice Edition, Version 2 for use on transcription, coding, billing and editing. As someone who works from home, I am hoping to investigate the pros and cons of investing in this program and whether its worth it ($1,399.00!!) Does anyone have any experience using this program for transcription, etc who would like to comment? Is it worth the time investment and the money investment? Is the program fairly easy to set up and use ie: l ...

Medical Transcription - Health Insurance For A New Employee At The 30-day Or 60-day Mark?
Mar 01, 2010

Anyone know of a company who starts health insurance  for a new employee at the 30-day or 60-day mark? ...

Jobs Based On Medical Insurance
May 12, 2015

If I'm naive about this, I'll apologize up-front but... Perhaps a better alternative to searching for an MT position with a company for the basic right (need) to have medical insurance would be to sign up for Affordable Care Act? Get an IC position with more flexibility, less stress from being over-supervised, and make premium payments out of that income? Seems sad and unnecessary to struggle just to find contentment in a job where medical insurance is the primary reason for putting ...

Home Coding Medical Insurance?
Jan 28, 2010

Hi Cj, Does your company offer health insurance for its employees that work from home?  Also, I assume remote coders can live anywhere or do they need to be in the state the company is in?  Thanks.         ...

Medical Coding - How To Search For Jobs At Home
Jul 21, 2010

Hello, I am a MT and wanted to also do coding, could you please tell me how to search for jobs at home once I am done with school ??  Does anybody have a board for coder jobs thanks so much ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Billing/coding
Apr 20, 2010

has anyone thought about or actually made the swith from mt to billing/coding? ...

Coding/Billing
Jan 11, 2011

Anyone know if MedQuist has coding/billing jobs and would hire a new grad from CareerStep?  Thanks!  ...

Billing Vs Coding
Apr 05, 2011

Quick question - medical billing and medical coding are two totally separate entities, right?  Meaning, you have schools for billing and schools for coding or schools that teach coding OR billing.. Just had a discussion with someone regarding this and I would like to have my facts straight ... thanks everyone!!!   There are billing jobs and coding jobs, but the two shall never "meet", right? ...

Billing And Coding
Apr 11, 2011

I have a stupid question.  When I finished my MT course with Allied Medical School, I then found out they are NOT (federally) accredited, they do not assist you in finding positions, and they do not assist in helping you become certified.  In other words, I felt that I wasted all of that money.  As a newbe I was unable to find a job.  I started apprenticing with a company, paid their $500 fee for software, and after 8-9 months, found they had changed their name.  Apparently, they were getti ...

Looking Into Coding And Billing
Sep 30, 2011

I have been an MT for 20+ years and now looking into coding and billing... Would you recommend it? I am considering this, but looking for some words of wisdom prior to making a decision. I see Career Step offers the program, but not familiar enough with Career Step to know if they are a reputable. I have been told that coding is on its way out like transcription and not to waste my time, but only heard that from one person so far.  Anything you can share with me would be great! Thanks :) ...

No Coding Or Even Billing Job Yet
Oct 30, 2014

It has been almost 8 months since I passed my CPC on first try. I have been in MT field for more than 14 years, and yet nobody is ready to give me a job based on that. Everyone says u dont have a coing xperience. Is anybody else suffering like me out there? I am slowly losing hope that I will ever be able to leave this field. ...

Billing Jobs At Home
Feb 13, 2011

Does anybody know of some websites for home medical billers?  I have 4 years experience with a degree and was in search for a home job and cannot find any.  ...

Coding Versus Billing
Apr 14, 2010

Can anyone explain the difference between coding and billing?  Do coding credentials apply to billing too? ...