A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Health Insurance for medical transcriptionist - Steph

Posted: Oct 28, 2009

I was wondering for all of you MTs who work full-time from home, what health insurance does your company provide you and your family with and how much do you pay out of pocket? I work for a company (will not mention the name) and pay $62 per pay period (for just me) which I didn't think was so bad - BUT i just found out I have a $3500 calender year deducible and will have to pay 35% of hospital fees if admitted (which I will be in 2010). So besides paying the $62 monthly, I will be paying $3500 this year, $3500 in 2010, as well as $5000 for the 35% out of pocket hospital fees (due to a very unexpected pregnancy).  Is that not total CRAZY?  What's the point of having insurance? During the hiring process, I asked multiple times about health insurance and no one was able to give me this information and I only found all of this out after my 90-waiting period.  Now I see why...  For family coverage, it was over $1000 monthy with the same deducible/hospital fees so my family had to go on a private plan for $500+ monthly. Just curious what else is out there because everyone advertises "competive health plans". Thanks in advance for any information!

Health insurance--sm - Webber

[ In Reply To ..]
Insurance is slightly better at Webmedx. It is about $500 per month for the family plan, but there is also a $2000 deductible and then the plan pays 80%.

If you need coverage for an unexpected pregnancy, though, I'm not sure that you have the option of switching companies and insurance plans now. Most companies make you wait 90 days before you are eligible for insurance. If you have a lack of coverage (I'm not sure if 90 days is the time period or not to qualify for lack of coverage), your pregnancy would be considered a preexisting condition and it would not be covered by another insurance plan at all.

Can you switch to the private plan that your family is on? Does that provide better coverage? If you cannot pay the deductibles and hospital fees that you will have to pay, you could check to see if your state has any programs for pregnant women to help with insurance coverage, etc. Here in New York there is such a program. I believe it is called PCAP.

Good luck!

Health Insurance - Steph

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much for the information. I know I'm pretty much "stuck" with my company until after my pregnancy, I was just curious to see what else was out there for future reference. Thank you!

Similar Messages:

Health Insurance For Self-employed Medical Transcriptionist
Feb 18, 2011

My husband is 6 years old than I am and retiring and starting Medicare in couple months.  I have always been on his insurance.  Anyone have any good leads to health insurance for us self-employed types.  Thanks. ...

Medical Transcription - Health Insurance For A New Employee At The 30-day Or 60-day Mark?
Mar 01, 2010

Anyone know of a company who starts health insurance  for a new employee at the 30-day or 60-day mark? ...

Will More People With Health Insurance = More Medical Coding And Billing Jobs?
Jun 29, 2012

The people I know who will now be getting medical insurance will obviously now go to the doctor when they get sick. It makes sense to me that there will be more coding and more billing, right? That's a good thing for us I think. ...

Obama Health Care And The Transcriptionist Perfession
Oct 17, 2010

I am just wondering how it is assumed that the Obama Health Care Bill will affect the medical transcription profession.   ...

From Medical Transcriptionist To Medical Coordinator
May 19, 2011

Where can I get information about transitioning from a medical transcriptionist to a medical coordinator? ...

New Medical Transcriptionist
Jun 16, 2013

I am trying to find a good training program.  I have looked into career step and then a local training program at a technical program here in Denver.  The Denver program has an internship as part of the course but is not ahdi approved.  It is a 17 month program and looks thorough but I don't know how big the ahdi approval is.  I've heard that career step helps graduates get a job.  Any advice for me on this?  Thanks. ...

Medical Transcriptionist
Jun 11, 2015

I researched on Indeed Jobs. At Parkland Hospital the requirement to work as a Medical Transcriptionist is to have a certificate in medical transcription or at least one year of medical typing experience. You must be able to type at least 40-59 words per minute with a minimum of three errors. You must be able to operate a dictaphone. You must have medical terminology knowledge and be able to pass a spelling test with a score of 80%. I would prefer to start my career in a hospital setting so that ...

How To Be A Medical Transcriptionist
Jun 27, 2015

I am currently studying to be a medical coder / biller. It is a long study time and tough too, but I love it. But just curious, how do we become a Medical Transcriptionist? Now that I know some medical terms and good at the computer. Maybe I can do this job as well. I have a friend who is medical transcriptionist but seem to be secretive about this career. How do we become one? I hope it does not need a long degree or diploma, or something like that. I appreicate any information. Thanks ...

Health Insurance For SE
Oct 14, 2009

Hey folks.  Does anyone know of a group health insurance coverage I can get even with preexisting issues?  My company doesn't offer it.  I've thought of switching companies but all the other ones sound so awful.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ...

Health Insurance As An IC
Oct 21, 2010

I am considering becoming self employed (after a fashion) as an IC.  I have gone onto www.healthcare.gov and gone through the steps they advise when you want to take out private insurance.  Holy cow, the insurance plans offered varied in premium cost from $600 to $4000 per month for a family of 4, but the thing that got me was two items:  Maximum out of pocket for individual: 0$.  Annual deductible for individual: 0$.  Woohoo.  This just seems too good to be true.&n ...

Health Insurance Opt Out?
Nov 09, 2010

Does anyone know if my employer can force me to buy the company-sponsored insurance? I can't afford it any longer, so I want to drop it for the upcoming enrollment.  Last year, there was a sheet that stated something like this: Opt out only with proof of coverage elsewhere and attach a copy of insurance card. ...

Health Insurance, Ugh
Dec 15, 2010

Health insurance being dependent upon line account, even when they don't give you enough work, is a sham. ...

Health Insurance MM
Mar 14, 2012

Can someone tell me how much they pay for their health insurance per pay period with M-Modal?  Would you recommend carrying it?  Thanks ...

NJA - Health Insurance
Feb 18, 2013

What happens to our health insurance when we do not make 39 hours/week?  The past 2 pay periods, I have not made required amount of time. ...

Getting Health Insurance Through MM
Oct 01, 2013

I'm thinking about getting health insurance through MM and wondering what any of you who receive it think about it.  ...

? Re Health Insurance
Nov 07, 2013

How many hours per week does a Nuance MT have to work to qualify for benefits?  Is it only offered to official 'full-time' employees?  TIA!  ...

Health Insurance
Feb 21, 2015

Could anyone tell me what they paid for health insurance in 2014 through Nuance for you and your spouse and also what you are paying in 2015?  Also, could someone tell me what they paid for the health insurance for 2014 and 2015 for just themselves? I couldn't afford to take the insurance and I'm trying to figure out if it was more than 8% of my income so I can avoid paying the tax penalty.  I don't think it was for just me, but I think with my husband added on it might h ...

HELP! Need Health Insurance
Jun 26, 2015

I've always had my own health insurance.  I didn't want to get stuck with whatever plan my employer happened to offer, and I didn't want to worry about losing my insurance if I changed jobs. But now the company I'm with is getting out of the insurance business, and I need to find new coverage.  The company I work for offers insurance, but like I said above, I don't want their plan.  And since they offer it, I'm not eligible for ACA (and I don't ...

Canadian Medical Transcriptionist
Mar 14, 2010

Can someone please explain to me why Canada is considered OFFSHORE?  We have the same extremely strict confidentiality and medical data security laws and, in fact, tougher standards in the definitions with Independent Contractor versus employee status.  Why is Canada considered offshore?  It's not nearly like sending something to India or Pakistan where you don't know who is working on the dictation or what the ulterior purpose is.  Why can't the two countries just get along? ...

Medical Transcriptionist Resume Help
Aug 30, 2010

I would really appreciate any help you are willing to give me.   I have not been having much luck finding a job and am getting desperate.  I am wondering if my Resume may be putting me at the bottom instead of at the top of the contact list.   I have over 30 years of experience and my resume contains the names of 15 companies that I have worked for (I sometimes had 2 or 3 jobs at one time, but I include everyone because some were Acute Care and others were Clinic Specialties).  I am ...

2008 Medical Transcriptionist
Nov 09, 2010

I am a 2008 graduate in medical transcriptionist. I have not been able to get a job. I would like to work from home. I am considering taking an exam to become a CMT or RMT. Can anyone direct me to where I can find my first job. I am really getting aggravated. ...

Medical Transcriptionist Week - WMX
May 14, 2011

Just wondering if anyone from WMX is betting on a token gift for MT week.  Last year we got the Pharmaceutical Word Book to install on our (their) computers.  Did appreciate that.  The year before we got nice BBQ aprons with their logo on it.  This year we got yet another reduction in our ISR wages.  Hoping that was not supposed to be our gift.  I know they don't have to give us anything and expect we might get a general company-wide E-mail telling us how REMA ...

Medical Transcriptionist - Taxes?
Jul 09, 2012

I'm looking for information about what to do if you get a part-time job where you are not an employee, but make over $600 for the year, but they do NOT provide a 1099.  This is a case of a man who is looking for my help in providing his transportation to medical appointments.  He seemed clueless when I asked him about these options.  Then, I was thinking.  Well, when a contractor came to my home and installed a fence, I paid over $600, but did not provide him with a 1099.  Is there som ...

USA MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST. WHY ALL THE DISLIKES?
Aug 20, 2012

I was thinking of applying since I'm looking for a day shift, but I saw 10 dislikes.  Any info? ...

Possibly Medical Transcriptionist
Jan 15, 2013

I'm looking into doing online training to be a medical transcriptionist. I was wondering how much money you make once you get out of school, is it worth it? How much an hour? Also, is it easy to find a job? I really would like to work from home because I have a 5 month old daughter.     Thanks! ...

25+ Years Medical Transcriptionist Considering
Apr 29, 2013

Hello:  I am 58 years old and have been doing medical transcription for 25+ years.  The group I transcribe for online is transitioning over to total EMR, thus will be leaving me without a job in the not too distant future.  I don't do Acute care, so there are next to no opportunities for other transcription jobs.  There are no jobs to be had in my very, very small town (including the 25-bed hospital) so I'm considering going with online classes for training and cert ...

Medical Transcriptionist Week
May 24, 2013

My how far the profession has fallen One can either hate or love technology.  It brings both good and bad.  Ron Reagan proclaims glorious MT Week in 1985 and makes it sound like a truly valued function in our society.  Fast forward to the beginning of the millennium and share your story on how glorious the profession has become Does your company provide health insurance?  Yes, no, maybe?  If so, can you afford your share of the premium that is deducted from your paych ...

Medical Transcriptionist Salary
Nov 12, 2014

I am not trying to sound discouraging, but when do I get this supposed 34,020 salary that it says on BLS website MTs are suppose to make. I graduated from my training in 2009 and have worked for 2 companies, niether of which has offered me anything close to that, and where do they get the $16.34 per hour figure from anyway? ...

Transtech Health Insurance
Nov 10, 2009

Can anybody tell me what kind of health insurance plan Transtech has?  Is it HMO, PPO, . . or do they have different plans to choose from?  I'm also very interested to know how much it is and how much the deductible would be.  I'm 51 years old, so good health benefits is very important to me.  Also, I would appreciate any feedback on abt other companies out there with great health insurance.  Thank's! ...

New Health Insurance Reform
Mar 30, 2010

With this new healthcare reform, does this mean that outsourcing companies are going to have to provide health insurance to MTs?  Even though you may be an independent contractor, you still work for the company.  With these oursourcing companies, I sure hope they will be required to offer health insurance, even if they MTs dont or cannot meet the line requirements.  This should be a very interesting concept to know about when the healthcare reform is in place!  I always thoug ...