A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

is medical billing/coding also going overseas? - curly

Posted: Aug 03, 2013

gotta be honest, i despise medical transcription - booorrrrring - BUT i still want to work at home. i know coding/billing probably isn't any more interesting, but because i still want to work at home, i'm considering learning it. does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience with it? if so, is it, too, also going overseas? are there any work at home jobs that are not going overseas?

Billing/Coding - FormerCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been doing billing/coding for one specialty for the last six months. I also did billing/coding for a different speciality for a short time 15+ years ago. My experience is that it is much more difficult than MT. I am very detailed oriented, but the details with this job can be overwhelming. My opinion is that unless you go to school, get certified, and work for a hospital for a few years at least, you will not be able to work from home and make $20+/hour. I am working in the clinic but feel very fortunate that somebody took a chance on me as I'm over 50. I make about as much as I was averaging with Nuance, which is half of what I was making as a remote MT for a hospital. I suppose this profession could go overseas as well, but in my situation, it won't. I was an MT for 30+ years, and I would say that billing/coding is maybe not boring but tedious and a brain drain, at least for me. I know people will get on here and post negative comments to this, so please feel free to send me an e-mail if you want any further information.

coding - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Exactly my situation ....and exactly my fears. I figure I can actually do the coding, but I will be swimming in details. Have always been detail oriented, but the over-50 thing should not be underestimated.

Billing/coding - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you mean billing or do you mean coding? The term "billing/coding" usually refers to billing. Billing requires less education, is a little more likely to be something you can do at home, but is tedious to annoying, and pays considerably less than coding.

Coding requires more education and certification by the AAPC and/or AHIMA is almost required. At-home jobs like those you see in MT do not really exist, although some employers like medical centers may allow remoting into work some or most of the time. Coding is challenging to quite difficult, but it pays well. There are a number of routes from coding into health information administration jobs, giving coders more options, but coding is not likely to go overseas for a number of reasons.

You can begin in billing and learn more to go into coding.

Suggest you visit the coding board for more information.

never mind; it sounds hideous - curly

[ In Reply To ..]
if i'm bored out of my skull doing transcription, i can't imagine how bad it'd be for me doing billing or coding or whatever else that's like this. i'm ripping my hair out, i'm so bored any more doing mt. rather walk dogs.

I'm bored too. It might help if they paid us better. nm - goodgrief

[ In Reply To ..]
xxxx

Never mind, Coder. Good info, and I would love to do - "real" coding. I am nearing

[ In Reply To ..]
retirement, but if I knew I could get a job I'd be taking courses now (actually, would have started them courses long ago).

Love a challenge, love work that requires me to analyze, and others who do too will read your post.

Curly, I'd set my hair on fire before I'd do billing. :)
set my hair on fire - great idea! - curly
[ In Reply To ..]
that will definitely make medical transcription more exciting! ugh. i really hate it, and i'm searching desperately for something else to do until i sell a book (don't laugh!). saw mike rowe on huckabee last night. i wonder if i'm too old at 50 to learn some of those dirty jobs?? he says you can make a lot of money doing some of those manual labor jobs he's done. most of it sounds better than sitting at a computer for 40 hours a week! zzzzzzzzzzzzz.
"Until I sell a book" - Grate MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Great idea! Most MT's consider themselves to be wordsmiths, writers, and the like. It is my dream to write a book about my early childhood and my fantasy for it to be a best seller. My early childhood was much different from that of most of my peers (baby boomers), in that my dad had just started buying a farm the year I was born and he had sunk most of his savings into the down payment, so he had to farm "on a shoestring," as he said. So there were no "storebought" school clothes for us, no brand new toys, no Twinkies in our school lunches. Just brown bag lunches consisting of our mother's homemade whole wheat bread sandwiches, maybe some fresh fruit which our dad would buy by the lug in the fall, maybe a celery stick wrapped in wax paper, perhaps a cookie or two baked by our mother. Just wholesome food different from everybody else's. Plus there would be a huge box of gently used clothes yearly from our cousins who had a father well on his way to becoming a colonel in the Air Force. We three youngest in the family would play out of doors barefoot all summer long, making up our own games, helping out in the garden and strawberry patch, making pets out of all the animals... It was fantastic. I had sort of blocked out those early memories because at the time I was terribly self-conscious at being different. I was ashamed of my whole wheat sandwiches. I was ashamed to walk up to the wastebasket and throw away my peach seed or tomato core from our fall garden... Most days, the scraps left in my lunch sack would make a wet spot that turned into a hole by the time we got off the school bus, so I would pitch out little bits and pieces of the scraps plus the whole sack into the cornfield as I made my way up our long lane. My brother and sister usually folded up their sacks and could reuse them over and over, but not yours truly. We had a radio, but no television, so when listening to the others talking about Gilligan's Island or some other show they had watched the night before, I remained embarrassingly silent. Not to mention the rustic farmhouse with no running water, only a green pump in the kitchen. Instead of central heat, just a woodstove in the living room (we called it a front room) and a cobstove in the kitchen. The memories of sitting around the stove in the wintertime! I would not trade them now for anything! And the outdoor toilet, how embarrassing! Anyway, that is my dream, but that project will probably not be really underway until retirement. I have written several chapters, each sort of in short story form already, but have yet to dredge up some more memories. I know they are up there, waiting to be mined.
My thoughts on that - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, so you're nearing retirement. Are you certain you CAN retire? Maybe if you had something more interesting to do you wouldn't WANT to retire?

Or, how about this . . . after you retire, you could offer volunteer medical bill assistance to old folks and poor people. Believe it or not, there IS a need for that. You can even get paid for it. You review medical bills to find services that were never documented, that were miscoded to a higher-paying service, that should have been included in something else, and bills that doctors got paid for but still billed the patient.

Research is showing that continuous learning helps your brain work into old age. It staves off dementia. The kind of learning where you have to figure things out helps a lot, it seems. Coding is that kind of learning.

Right now, you're sitting there thinking that you can't do this because . . . you're due to retire. Well, that's silly. What are you going to DO when you retire? Sit at home and rot? Why not start learning something now and just see if you can get a job.

I know employers who can't find qualified coders. Not because they don't have experience, either, but because they aren't certified at all, get fired every 6 months, have been in jail, or can't pass the drug test.

While I can't promise that you will get a job, I CAN promise that if you don't try you DEFINITELY won't. If you love a challenge, love analytical work, and have a good attitude, why on earth would you not want to TRY?

Consider it a hobby. Learn coding now as a hobby. Learn it for entertainment. Turn off the TV, learn something new, and then use it to benefit mankind.

I agree about setting my hair on fire before doing billing. Some people just love it, but it makes my eyes cross.
Retirement - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't speak for others, but I am approximately 5 years from retirement. I can retire and I want to retire. I've been in medical transcription and HIM since I was 19 and can't wait to get some down time. What am I going to do? Travel, spend time with my family and volunteer, but not as a coder or a consultant. There is a lot to be said for staying mentally active, but there is also a lot to be said for enjoying your physical health while you still have it, and that does not include sitting at a desk for the rest of one's life. People who have been in jail or who have drug issues usually are not trained coders, I'm not sure how you came up with that tidbit. Even if you were privy to something like that, this is not the place to divulge it. Learn coding as entertainment and to "benefit mankind?" Give me a break.
My not retirement - Happy as is
[ In Reply To ..]
I reached retirement over 5 years ago now. My true love is to travel, love it and have for years. I have enough coming in with SS and a retirement check to pay bills, buy food and the like but what about the traveling part? There is no way unless I pay for my travels that I would be able to go because I spend a lot, a whole lot on them. Now, being as I only work say 24 hours a week that still frees me up from sitting here at my desk for the rest of my life and yet still have the income I want to be free to spend like I want. I know probably one day my health will be to where I cannot do the things I love but for the moment I just keep plugging away. My 30 year old daughter traveled with me recently and she told me next time she would have to see my itinerary before traveling again, said I had much more energy than she! I always just try to get a good night's sleep and ready to go the next day. Had almost a month off this summer and already planning a trip around Christmas again. It can be done even while working.

Opinon - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Never base your criteria for choosing an occupation on whether it allows you to work at home, my feeling is that is a silly reason to learn anything new. It sounds as if that is your reason for doing MT and you are bored to death. Broaden your horizons and get out of the house.

I agree... - the whole work at home

[ In Reply To ..]
thing is what has made MT such a death trap for a lot of us.

nothing is as cut and dry as you might think - curly

[ In Reply To ..]
i want to work at home because i am a freelance writer, and i need the extra time that it would take me to travel to and from work. plus, i can somewhat make my own hours. i still need to pay my bills, but this way i have enough money to pay those bills AND write. i'm also looking to downsize so i can go part-time - and if i'm working pay-by-prod (at least theoretically) i can make more per hour, so i can cut my hours down nice and low and go after what i really want in life!

The whole thing has taken MT from - BTDT

[ In Reply To ..]
professional people working on-site to many people who should not be working in MT in the first place to be doing so simply because they wanna work at home. I am NOT saying that everyone who works at home falls into the category (I work at home), but the circumstances have attracted a lot of people to the field who might be better working someplace else. Just saying.

Any work that can be done on a computer - can be done overseas, unfortunately. (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]

Well, then you're left with cleaning toilets - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
That's a poor attitude with a dismal outlook. Sure, it can be done overseas, but all of it isn't being done overseas.

People from overseas can also be brought in to fill on-site positions. Hospitals here import Irish nurses and software companies import Indian programmers.

Nothing in life is certain, other than the need to continuously learn and evolve with your environment. That's the best way to survive.

If you had been learning something new for the past few years, you would be able to move into a new job now. Seems to me that is a much better situation than troling around here with a "The End is Near" sign.

Actually, I'm currently in school. Problem is, - when I"m done I"ll be 65. Figure it out.

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Medical Billing/Coding
Feb 13, 2015

Does any one know of any good medical billing and coding schools online? ...

Transcriptionist Also Does Medical Coding/billing?
Nov 16, 2009

I was wondering if anyone who is a transcriptionist also does medical coding/billing.  I wonder if we are any safer with this field and what the pay is like.  It looks to be about the same from what I have found on line.  I have been doing transcription for 10 years and am getting tired of what is happening in the industry.  It is tedious, hard work to sit on your butt all day and only get paid when your fingers are on the keys.  I am thinking of working in an office or hospital for a chang ...

Information On Medical Billing/coding
Sep 08, 2010

I am interested in obtaining some information on the medical billing/coding certifications.  If anyone has class or school informaiton that is realiable I would greatly appreciate it.  I am looking for online certificated classes. Thanks ...

Future In Medical Coding / Billing
Feb 08, 2012

I have a question about coding and billing.  For three years in the '90s, I coded and transcribed for a small, rural, hospital.  I was responsible for outpatient, ER, inpatient, surgical etc. coding and transcription.  It was mostly ICD-9, and HCPC coding.  If I want to code from home in the future, what would you suggest I do, an online program?  Do you think coding from home would be an opportunity or do most hospitals/clinics/physicians require experience at a facility first, and wo ...

Coding/Medical Billing Jobs?
May 05, 2012

How plentiful are the jobs for coders and medical billers? Currently I am an MT but looking into other career options. Thanks! ...

Medical Coding And Billing Sites
Oct 07, 2013

Hello out there. Are there any medical coding and billing sites like this one. Any information on websites or where to look would be greatly appreciated. ...

MT Looking To Take A Course In Either Medical Billing Or Coding To Have Something Else For Training
Feb 25, 2014

I need to make a switch if I should lose my transcription job. Which would you recommend to get into first? Wondering if I should take a medical billing course first which would help me get hired somewhere else and does have a billing background help with coding?? I have a local vocational school that offers a medical billing course but nothing nearby that offers coding. Also I would prefer to do an online course and not sure which one would be the best. I don't want to spend money if ...

Medical Transcription Versus Coding/billing
Jan 18, 2010

Does anyone have an idea which career might pay best, medical transcription or medical billing/coding? I am curious about which pays best. ...

My Thoughts On Learning Medical Billing And Coding
Nov 09, 2011

After seeing the writing on the fall for MTs, I started school 1 year ago.  I am currently in an online associates degree program.  I am an on-the-job trained MT.  I also earned my CMT through a lot of self study and I work hard to keep that CMT credential (no bashing.  Needed it at the time for the job I had).  My college program is currently business administration with a completion in medical billing and coding.  I already know that to get a coding certifica ...

Bus Driver Said She Graduated From Medical Billing/coding School
Sep 25, 2012

and the reason she's driving a bus is because she hasn't been able to find a job as a coder since graduation. I asked her if she took her certification exam yet, and she said no. I didn't say anything but maybe this is the reason why she hasn't gotten hired yet. ...

Penn Foster Coding And Medical Billing Program?
Jan 29, 2015

Hello, Just wanting opinions/experiences with Penn Foster's Training Program Coding and Medical Billing. Thanks in advance. ...

Will More People With Health Insurance = More Medical Coding And Billing Jobs?
Jun 29, 2012

The people I know who will now be getting medical insurance will obviously now go to the doctor when they get sick. It makes sense to me that there will be more coding and more billing, right? That's a good thing for us I think. ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

Using Dragon Medical Practice, Version 2 For Transcription, Coding, Billing, Editing - Is It Worth I
Dec 29, 2014

It was recently suggested to me that I get Dragon Medical practice Edition, Version 2 for use on transcription, coding, billing and editing. As someone who works from home, I am hoping to investigate the pros and cons of investing in this program and whether its worth it ($1,399.00!!) Does anyone have any experience using this program for transcription, etc who would like to comment? Is it worth the time investment and the money investment? Is the program fairly easy to set up and use ie: l ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Do You Think Coding Jobs Will Be Sent Overseas Some Day As Well? Sm
Dec 23, 2009

I really need to get out of the MT profession.  I am a newly single mom and am making less money as an MT than I was 5 years ago.  I just cannot afford to do this anymore.  I always see coding jobs posted at my local hospital.  Do you think these jobs will be sent overseas just like transcription?  I am thinking of going into nursing but don't know yet.  What would be a good healthcare career to get into? ...

Coding And Relocating Overseas
Feb 09, 2013

Here's a different sort of question. My husband has a dream of relocating to England. His company has an office there, so work for him might not be an issue. Now, this may not come to fruition, (or if it does it might not be for years down the road), but I was wondering if anyone knows if American coders get hired in the British medical system? I'm currently in school and not yet certified. I'm just curious to know if anyone has come across this. ...

Billing/coding
Apr 20, 2010

has anyone thought about or actually made the swith from mt to billing/coding? ...

Coding/Billing
Jan 11, 2011

Anyone know if MedQuist has coding/billing jobs and would hire a new grad from CareerStep?  Thanks!  ...

Billing Vs Coding
Apr 05, 2011

Quick question - medical billing and medical coding are two totally separate entities, right?  Meaning, you have schools for billing and schools for coding or schools that teach coding OR billing.. Just had a discussion with someone regarding this and I would like to have my facts straight ... thanks everyone!!!   There are billing jobs and coding jobs, but the two shall never "meet", right? ...

Billing And Coding
Apr 11, 2011

I have a stupid question.  When I finished my MT course with Allied Medical School, I then found out they are NOT (federally) accredited, they do not assist you in finding positions, and they do not assist in helping you become certified.  In other words, I felt that I wasted all of that money.  As a newbe I was unable to find a job.  I started apprenticing with a company, paid their $500 fee for software, and after 8-9 months, found they had changed their name.  Apparently, they were getti ...

Looking Into Coding And Billing
Sep 30, 2011

I have been an MT for 20+ years and now looking into coding and billing... Would you recommend it? I am considering this, but looking for some words of wisdom prior to making a decision. I see Career Step offers the program, but not familiar enough with Career Step to know if they are a reputable. I have been told that coding is on its way out like transcription and not to waste my time, but only heard that from one person so far.  Anything you can share with me would be great! Thanks :) ...

No Coding Or Even Billing Job Yet
Oct 30, 2014

It has been almost 8 months since I passed my CPC on first try. I have been in MT field for more than 14 years, and yet nobody is ready to give me a job based on that. Everyone says u dont have a coing xperience. Is anybody else suffering like me out there? I am slowly losing hope that I will ever be able to leave this field. ...

Coding Versus Billing
Apr 14, 2010

Can anyone explain the difference between coding and billing?  Do coding credentials apply to billing too? ...

Billing And Coding With MT Background
Jun 15, 2010

I have a background in medical transcription however I am unable to sit in the same position (foot pedal - headset - typing) for any length of time.  I broke my neck many years ago and didn't know when I was in school that this was going to prevent me from doing this career on even a part time basis and after graduating with high honors and having great employee/employer relationships. I am wondering if it is feasible to do billing and coding with medical transcription in a home offic ...

Information On Billing/coding
Aug 30, 2010

I had a friend suggest I access this webiste for possible information on Medical Billing/Coding training.  Do you have any suggestions on where to obtain training and certification for Medical Billing/Coding.  There are 2 of us that would be interested in this and then to move onto the Medical Transcriptions.  We would both like to work from home and spend time with our children.  Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your assistance. ...

Explanation Of Coding/Billing
Jul 11, 2011

I am looking at options/alternatives.  Currently an MT with 15+ years.  Can someone tell me what a coding job and/or billing job exactly is (job description)?  What is required of a coder/biller?  Is it a WAH job?    Thanks!  ...

Coding And Billing Schools
Sep 16, 2011

Just lost my part-time transcripton job and starting to hear that this field is becoming extinct. Thinking about going to school online for billing and coding.  Anybody know of a oustanding accredited school?  Do not want to waste time and money barking up the wrong tree.  Is it costly? ...

MT Considering Coding/billing Training
Mar 13, 2014

I have been an MT for seven years and for the most part do enjoy the work, but find the "feast or famine" nature of the work difficult to make a decent living.  I will soon be divorced and won't have my husband's income to help support the house.  I have been thinking about training for medical coding and/or billing and am looking into different online courses.  I was considering a bundled course at MedicalBillingCourse.com.  Has anyone completed this course an ...

BILLING AND CODING To My Resume
Mar 30, 2014

I have been transcribing for over 20 years and would like to add billing and coding to my resume.  I have heard Penn Foster is a good online school that is accredited.  Any thoughts to help me make a decision? ...